Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Yeah but obscure slurs aren’t okay just because people aren’t aware of them. Like if I called you a “moke” you’d be like “okay” but if i said that to someone on the west side they’d probably kick the poo poo out of me.

In this case though there's added confusion as it's totally fine to refer to party members as "Democrats" or "a Democrat". It's not hard to see how the term "the Democrat party" could be used as short-hand in good faith that does not apply to ethnic slurs. It sucks that right-wingers are using the term derogatively, but frankly I think the vast majority of non-online people wouldn't be aware of that.

As a non-US person living here now I've unknowingly fallen into this myself and hopefully I'm not a secret Republican. It seems like there's much better ways to identify Republicans anyway, like asking whether racism still exists in the USA.

To bring it back to the original point, obviously "Ocasio-Cortez" is correct and "Ocasio" is just wrong. Someone not getting hyphenated names is pretty egregious.

edit: Democrat Dog

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nocturtle posted:

In this case though there's added confusion as it's totally fine to refer to party members as "Democrats" or "a Democrat". It's not hard to see how the term "the Democrat party" could be used as short-hand in good faith that does not apply to ethnic slurs. It sucks that right-wingers are using the term derogatively, but frankly I think the vast majority of non-online people wouldn't be aware of that.

As a non-US person living here now I've unknowingly fallen into this myself and hopefully I'm not a secret Republican.

Well I guess you've learned something about yourself today. Please go to the nearest self-incrimination booth.

Nocturtle posted:

It seems like there's much better ways to identify Republicans anyway, like asking whether racism still exists in the USA.

If it's not an intentional slur, it's at least a shibboleth, meaning it identifies someone as a member of a certain group. In the case of "Democrat" as an adjective, it means someone is either ignorant or a Republican. Just like most uses of "USA" indicate that someone is not American. There are many ways in which people can give away something about themselves through the ways they express themselves. That's all this is about for me.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1151284194083049473?s=21

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

A hot take

https://mobile.twitter.com/parscale/status/1151329288161058816

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

“I god bless America” so is he saying he is a god who is blessing America or that his will commands God to bless America?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/MeetMckayla/status/1151240611762020353

Just your friendly reminder that Mckayla Wilkes is great and she needs as much money and support people can give. Hell, just signal boost the gently caress outta her if you want an easy way to help

https://twitter.com/MeetMckayla/status/1150455405614686214

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Yeah but obscure slurs aren’t okay just because people aren’t aware of them. Like if I called you a “moke” you’d be like “okay” but if i said that to someone on the west side they’d probably kick the poo poo out of me.

Slur isn't just another word for insult.

jfc

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1151140101289758721

Been away from the game because I needed a break and if there is one thing organizers are good at spotting it is burnout. My peeps at Climate Alliance, VA DSA, etc made me have a time out and take a breather. But here we are, back in action! 2019 is an important year folks. VA can kill Right to Work and start enacting legislation that helps VA citizens and enable our teachers to strike etc. If you can spare anything to some of the candidates in the VA elections that can potentially unseat chuds, then please do so. I will get a full list to yall shortly, but in the meantime: the Bot is back :)

Much Love Goons

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

You aren't supposed to jack yourself off with the flag Brad; that's violating flag code

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Brad Parscale is arguably the most successful grifter in the Trump orbit right now--there's no telling how much money he's been paid to doctor polls to make Donny look good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1151454024824004608?s=20

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I like my action heroes to be relatable to a guy like me: shirtless, glistening, and full of steroids

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

holy poo poo NBC dug up some archive footage of Trump and Epstein partying at Mar-A-Lago in 1992.

This is the cringiest drat poo poo you've ever watched. Trump's faces, Epstein's ghoulish mugs, both of them just staring down the Buffalo Bills cheerleaders.

gently caress this creepy. HIS loving FACE oh god he's groping them all i want to unsee this

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tape-shows-donald-trump-jeffrey-epstein-discussing-women-1992-party-n1030686?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

It's 3 minutes in.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 17, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1151285132730523648

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

There are so many stupid things about this tweet but the first thing that jumped out at me is that he’s comparing action heroes to superheroes, as if today’s action hero actors aren’t twice as big as those in the 80s (The Rock, John Cena, etc.)

It’s like anyone from that family ever said or did anything genuine, they’d burst into flames.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there something I can donate to that will specifically fund primary challenges from the left as well as be visible enough to send a message?

I assume Justice Dems? Are they trying to do a “progressive tea party” thing?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
DSA?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well he shat this out this morning while making GBS threads:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451067437191168

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451068431294464

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451591171543041

Whining about "directions on a shampoo bottle" is a new one to me I have to admit. If those weren't there what would you have to read in the shower to avoid thinking about the impending doom of the planet?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

G.I. Jaw posted:

There are so many stupid things about this tweet but the first thing that jumped out at me is that he’s comparing action heroes to superheroes, as if today’s action hero actors aren’t twice as big as those in the 80s (The Rock, John Cena, etc.)

It’s like anyone from that family ever said or did anything genuine, they’d burst into flames.

I mean it's dumb as hell but even if we're just doing Marvel there's still Hemsworth and Dave Bautista.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Big wet president got shampoo in his eyes recently and didn’t notice on the bottle that it might sting a little.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Shifty Pony posted:

Well he shat this out this morning while making GBS threads:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451067437191168

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451068431294464

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451591171543041

Whining about "directions on a shampoo bottle" is a new one to me I have to admit. If those weren't there what would you have to read in the shower to avoid thinking about the impending doom of the planet?

I think he is upset about the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap Label.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Theres directions on shampoo bottles because idiots like him would drink the loving shampoo if left to their own devices.

Critical fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 17, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Turned on NPR today and they had a Republican congressman on to ask him if what Trump said was racist. Turned it off.

Turned it back on ten minutes later to hear the anchor say ".... controversial remarks which many have accused of being racist. In a few minutes we'll speak with Trump voters for their perspective"

What a lovely network.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Critical posted:

Theres directions on shampoo bottles because idiots like him would drink the loving shampoo if left to their own devices.

If you literally followed the directions on the shampoo bottle you'd be stuck in an endless loop, forever lathering and rinsing.

I spent thousands of dollars on a CS degree to make this joke.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Because Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa, Dwayne Johnson, and Idris Elba don't exist :rolleyes:

Everything about these fuckers is just the 50-80s with the most pathetic nostalgia goggles of all time

Also I would absolutely pay good money to see the Trump Dough Boys take on Chris Evans and Jason Mamoa :allears:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 17, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I wish the squad had actually moved the party to the left. :sigh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1151462605472636928

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TulliusCicero posted:

Because Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa, Dwayne Johnson, and Idris Elba don't exist :rolleyes:

Everything about these fuckers is just the 50-80s with the most pathetic nostalgia goggles of all time

Also I would absolutely pay good money to see the Trump Dough Boys take on Chris Evans and Jason Mamoa :allears:

Also not all 80s action stars were roided out goons.

But seriously who gives a gently caress?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Critical posted:

The directions were initially put there to get people to use more shampoo by washing their hair twice. It worked too.

It is marketing.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Just to go back to Puerto Rico, it's amazing just how much we literally don't care about them. The most prominent article I could see is about cruise ships cancelling their stops to San Juan.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

skylined! posted:

I don't really, but it's just another great example of how loving wierd Trumpists and the right are about absolutely loving everything

On topic, so Puerto Rico is pretty much on the verge of violent revolution right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

The directions were initially put there to get people to use more shampoo by washing their hair twice.

Motherfucker!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nocturtle posted:

As a non-US person living here now I've unknowingly fallen into this myself and hopefully I'm not a secret Republican. It seems like there's much better ways to identify Republicans anyway, like asking whether racism still exists in the USA.

To bring it back to the original point, obviously "Ocasio-Cortez" is correct and "Ocasio" is just wrong. Someone not getting hyphenated names is pretty egregious.

edit: Democrat Dog

My first post on this topic was correcting someone that AOC's name is Ocasio-Cortez and not Cortez, that this could have been an honest mistake but is also the language that Trump uses to disparage people, much like him repeatedly using the name "Democrat Party." In Trump's case he 100% for sure knows that it's incorrect (like I think he even tweeted it out) but he does it anyway, because he's a loving rear end in a top hat and a piece of poo poo and he's only doing it explicitly to disparage people.

This was followed by some people writing basically "lol who cares it doesn't matter."

It does matter because of Trump and other Republican assholes who explicitly use the term "Democrat Party" to (1) insult people and (2) send a message to like-minded individuals that they are on their side. It's not a racial slur, and it's not "as bad" as a racial slur, but that really doesn't matter because it's irrelevant.

I only brought up that particular racial slur because it's one of those words that could be used innocently but if you use it around me I'm going to (politely but firmly) ask you to stop, and how you handle that request is going to tell me whether you're a real piece of poo poo or just someone who didn't know better. And if you're the latter then we're cool, it's a mistake and people make mistakes.

Which isn't really too different from "Democrat Party" despite the fact that one is a racial slur and the other one isn't. Members of the Democratic Party have probably asked Trump and his base to stop, and their response is "lol who cares it doesn't matter and also gently caress you," which tells us that they are real pieces of poo poo.

I also said that it's probably not uncommon to think "Democrat Party" is the correct usage, especially now that media outlets are straight up printing and reading Trump's tweets word-for-word and so that might be the only exposure to the term that they get. Those people might go on and say "Democrat Party" because that's what they've heard, and if you inform them that it's incorrect and they change their tune then they're cool, but if they go on and keep repeating it then the only thing it can possibly mean is that they are assholes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

The directions were initially put there to get people to use more shampoo by washing their hair twice. It worked too.

It is marketing.

Wait, you're not supposed to wash twice? I do that and I never saw instructions on shampoo bottles! I feel betrayed!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

skylined! posted:

Bruce Lee is probably the most iconic action star in the world and he was lean

Also like the first movie star I had a crush on lmao

Anyway this is a really good post and I want to highlight it for one more page:

Paradoxish posted:

Honestly, this is all tied up into the weird way that white people treat accusations of racism.

There's this idea that being racist is just who you are and it's this intrinsic part of your character that you can never change. Calling someone a racist is like calling someone ugly; it's telling them that there is a deep flaw in their character that's always been there and always will be there. It's a loving cop out that frees people from actually taking action. "I'm not a racist because I'm not a bad person, therefore I don't have to do anything."

Ralph Northam can't explain his actions because white people will almost never admit that they did racist poo poo because they actually believed or believe racist things.

That said I feel like the obvious thing that's not stated is people have to recognize their own flaws (most people are genuinely not introspective enough to do this on their own) and finally want to change which they have no real reason to do as our white supremacist society rewards them regardless

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Turned on NPR today and they had a Republican congressman on to ask him if what Trump said was racist. Turned it off.

Turned it back on ten minutes later to hear the anchor say ".... controversial remarks which many have accused of being racist. In a few minutes we'll speak with Trump voters for their perspective"

What a lovely network.

NPR constantly had its hand out for years for donations. Republicans wanted to shut them down. Then the Koch brothers figured out that they could subvert the network by donating and dictating their narrative to them.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ewiley posted:

If you literally followed the directions on the shampoo bottle you'd be stuck in an endless loop, forever lathering and rinsing.

I spent thousands of dollars on a CS degree to make this joke.

Money well spent, I'd say.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
No Dwayne Johnson, Michael B Jordan, Idris Elba, Jason Momoa.

I wonder what they could all have in common....?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

skylined! posted:

Off the top of my head the lead actors in the biggest action movies of the eighties were like Michael Biehn, Michael Keaton, and Peter Weller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

Wait, you're not supposed to wash twice? I do that and I never saw instructions on shampoo bottles! I feel betrayed!

I do it because my hair still feels clumpy and gross if I don't shampoo a second time. And I massage the scalp and keep my hair as short as possible and poo poo, so.