Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

hooah posted:

How can I make it easier to change the diapers of a 9-month-old who really doesn't like being on his back?

Use pull-up style diapers for non-poop changes?
When my son got old enough to hold a phone I would put on a YouTube video and hand him my phone and then he would lay real still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Apologies if this is old ground, but I'm afraid I'm not too excited about reading 270 pages to see if it's been asked before-

We've decided it's time to stop our 14 month olds dream feed, as he's been consistently sleeping through for a good few months now

Agreed, it is probably time for that.

If he makes it through it 3 out of 5 nights I would say keep doing what you are doing, it's not a bad outcome.

Hopefully it will just improve from there, and keep in mind: It's perfectly normal and healthy for a baby to wake up at night and you are not torturing him. Hopefully you guys can cope with the reduced sleep for yourselves. Go to bed early is my best advice...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My girl turned three months old yesterday and celebrated by refusing to go to sleep for four hours after bedtime. It was the first time I’ve had to put her in the car and drive until she stopped crying. She had been pretty predictable with when she naps and when she’s ready to go down for the night, so last week I tried to start really focusing on developing a routine and seeing if I can get her to nap in the crib instead of the rock and play, and put her to bed in the crib at the same time every night. The very day I tried, her predictable routine was GONE and she’s been extremely resistant to going to sleep since. It takes at least a solid hour to get her to sleep after she starts yawning and rubbing her eyes now, often times close to two, and she gets so upset. She never used to cry at all, so this has been tough to deal with emotionally.

Did I pick a bad time to start the routine thing? She’s going through a leap right now so I’m hoping this fighting sleep thing is very temporary. The PURPLE cry thing is exhausting and I feel so badly for people whose kids do it every night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Did I pick a bad time to start the routine thing?

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until it's been 3-4 days of a pattern. There's too many external influences, or sometimes things happen for no reason at all.

That being said, establishing a routine at 3 months is a very good idea, and doing it now will help you when the 4 month sleep regression hits. It's difficult to do proper sleep training at 3 months on the dot but it's doable, and even if you're not sleep training it's the perfect time to establish a bedtime routine. What's important is to maintain that routine no matter what happens.

We've had the same bedtime routine since 2.5 months and there's just no predicting what will happen. Sometimes he'll go straight down, sometimes he'll stay up for 2-3 more hours. Sometimes he wakes up for a night bottle at 2, sometimes it's 5. Usually he'll only take 2oz at 9PM then wake up as soon as we start falling asleep an hour or two later but then only take 3oz, then wake up at again at 2PM, take only a half bottle again, then wake up at 5am when I'm getting ready for work, force me to get my wife up to feed him because I don't have the time, where he'll suck down 5-6oz like he was starving and sleep until 9. But only go back to sleep if my wife gave up on sleep and committed to getting up for the day. Thanks baby. Yes I'm angry.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't mind wasting formula when we could buy it from Costco, but now that I have to buy Alimentum out of pocket, it pains my heart every time I have to dump that liquid cheezit gold down the drain.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

My girl turned three months old yesterday and celebrated by refusing to go to sleep for four hours after bedtime. It was the first time I’ve had to put her in the car and drive until she stopped crying. She had been pretty predictable with when she naps and when she’s ready to go down for the night, so last week I tried to start really focusing on developing a routine and seeing if I can get her to nap in the crib instead of the rock and play, and put her to bed in the crib at the same time every night. The very day I tried, her predictable routine was GONE and she’s been extremely resistant to going to sleep since. It takes at least a solid hour to get her to sleep after she starts yawning and rubbing her eyes now, often times close to two, and she gets so upset. She never used to cry at all, so this has been tough to deal with emotionally.

Did I pick a bad time to start the routine thing? She’s going through a leap right now so I’m hoping this fighting sleep thing is very temporary. The PURPLE cry thing is exhausting and I feel so badly for people whose kids do it every night.

This seems like so long ago yet not so much at the same time, but I don't remember a lot of what we did when our kid was that age because we weren't sleeping a lot still.

One thing I do remember is the side hold, or as my wife called it then, the "dad hold." Basically holding them so their left side is toward the floor and letting their arm hang down, rocking them that way. I don't know if you've tried that or if it would even work for yours, but it helped a lot for ours at that time. It seems par for the course that kids start doing this around that time because of the leap, their brains are literally developing too fast for them to handle. The best thing I can suggest if all else fails is just taking turns with your spouse. I used to have to go in and bounce my son while standing up, and this would go on for about 45 minutes. If he wasn't cooperating by then, I got Mom involved. Weirdly enough at that time I was more consistently successful in getting him to sleep than my wife was. The middle of the night wake ups were the worst for us--this was almost always a 1-2 hour period during which one of us would be miserably half-awake trying to get this obstinate kid to sleep, and it didn't get better at 4mo when the sleep regression hit. In fact, it got worse, because it took the same amount of time to get him down but he woke up much more frequently as his sleep patterns changed.

Start the routine maybe, but a leap isn't the best time probably. There's not a whole lot of routine to be had at that age, really, though it can help to get it started earlier and keep consistent with it so that you're in the habit if nothing else. I may not be the BEST source because again, my memory is hazy of this period in our son's life. Try getting Taking Cara Babies. I can't remember what it said about the best time to enforce sleep training like falling asleep on one's own or at least getting baby to fall BACK asleep on their own in night wake ups, but it's got good information and timing, e.g. when to start routines, etc.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Renegret posted:

I didn't mind wasting formula when we could buy it from Costco, but now that I have to buy Alimentum out of pocket, it pains my heart every time I have to dump that liquid cheezit gold down the drain.

We are ordering our last Nutramigen shipment from Amazon. Our kid turns a year in a month.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

One thing I do remember is the side hold, or as my wife called it then, the "dad hold."

we call that the daddy rock

On days when I'm particularly exhausted and my wife asks me to try daddy rock, I get really confused and think she wants me to play 80's classic rock music for the baby.

My brain no work good

e: I should probably answer for real though. Sleep training by 3 months is the earliest you can do it. It's hard, but doable. If you can successfully pull it off, it makes the 4 month sleep regression much less serious. The sleep regression is going to suck no matter what, but it'll make it more management.

The sleep regression is a problem because the baby starts developing additional sleep cycles that they never had before. So while the rest of us might wake up in the night, roll over, and go back to sleep and not remember a thing, the baby will wake up, have no idea what to do, and freak out. If your baby's sleep trained and knows how to put himself to sleep, there's a chance they'll just go back to sleep, or at the very least go down easier.

We ultimately failed the sleep training by that point, but it's still important to start establishing a routine at 3 months. It'll still help in the long run. Because we have an established routine, once our baby is asleep, he's down for the night, not counting night bottles. The hard part is actually getting him asleep.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 16, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alterian posted:

We are ordering our last Nutramigen shipment from Amazon. Our kid turns a year in a month.

Code PANTRY on Prime pantry and you get $10 off for prime day!

We recruited everybody we know to buy the a few bottles of alimentum off pantry, use the code, and we venmoed them the money. It's the cheapest way to get it, but you're limited in how much you can purchase at once.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We learned the importance of routine last night when grandma and uncle came over for an evening visit. 6 month old was too distracted to eat until they left, then hungrily sucked down more than she could handle and threw it all up on the bedsheets. Stomach and sleep still disrupted, she followed a 1:00am feeding with the loudest and longest crying session I've seen to date. I handed her off to mom at 4am so I could sleep before work and I am not sure when she finally settled down.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Koivunen posted:

Not sure I parsed this right, exactly what is "the routine thing" here? Is it that you A) switched from napping in the rock&play to napping in the crib, and also B) started applying a "hard" bed time? Or is it something more?
You might want to change up one thing at a time to keep it easier to troubleshoot, rather than changing multiple things at once. (Speaking from a baby engineering perspective.)

I'm sure you will long term benefit from having a steady bedtime, but IMO you might have a harder time doing it so early. I'd say up until at least a year, you'll be a much happier parent if you put her to bed when she looks ready for it, like you seem to have been doing before.
We've had a policy of "try to get her to bed by 8pm at the latest, but if she looks tired before that, go for it". It has worked well up to 8 months now, with adjustments to the bed time, making it incrementally earlier. No waking during the night since four months old, except that week when she had a cold and once when she really needed to poop at 4 AM... :iiam: No sleep training - and I've made my opinion on that clear earlier in the thread.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

For us I know we'd put our son to bed earlier when he seems like he needs it, but I'll be damned if that doesn't make him wake up earlier and ready to headbutt the day.

As to sleep training, either it works for someone or it doesn't, but we didn't really do it and ours mostly sleeps through the night now. There was a time (basically birth-7mo) that he treated sleeping through the night as something to avoided at all costs and it made us miserable and wondering what we did wrong. Now, he only wakes up when he has a nightmare or has insane gas he can't get rid of, and during those times he wakes up PISSED. OFF. Lately of course, one of two things (in my theory) is happening to wake him up the past three nights: 1) Just learned to walk and has a lot going on in his brain he can't process, or 2) he has a tooth, possibly molar, coming in because we've seen that bad boy trying to break through and it's hurting him something fierce. Maybe both are working together. Last night he woke up FIVE TIMES, cried for five or so minutes each time, then went back to sleep. Each time I was in and out of consciousness and trying to let him work it out on how to get back to sleep.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the advice. For the last few days we’ve gone back to naps in the rock and play because the crib was just not working out. I’m not doing “sleep training” in the traditional sense, I’m just trying to establish routine since she had been so predictable before. Bedtime routine being going upstairs, putting on a clean diaper and a sleep sack, then having a feed and rocking/singing to sleep. I don’t ever plan on letting her cry it out. Usually she would nap around 10am, 2pm, and 5pm, then be ready for restful bedtime sleep by 9pm, waking up to feed at 1am, 4am, 6am, and be up for the day around 8am. Now that I’m actually intentionally trying to get her to sleep at those times, she’s wanting to change it up and do her own thing. This past week she has been fighting sleep hard and getting way overtired and super upset, which is new. Maybe I will just wait until this leap is over, and then try again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Thanks for the advice. For the last few days we’ve gone back to naps in the rock and play because the crib was just not working out. I’m not doing “sleep training” in the traditional sense, I’m just trying to establish routine since she had been so predictable before. Bedtime routine being going upstairs, putting on a clean diaper and a sleep sack, then having a feed and rocking/singing to sleep. I don’t ever plan on letting her cry it out. Usually she would nap around 10am, 2pm, and 5pm, then be ready for restful bedtime sleep by 9pm, waking up to feed at 1am, 4am, 6am, and be up for the day around 8am. Now that I’m actually intentionally trying to get her to sleep at those times, she’s wanting to change it up and do her own thing. This past week she has been fighting sleep hard and getting way overtired and super upset, which is new. Maybe I will just wait until this leap is over, and then try again.

The fighting sleep thing doesn't really stop. My 14mo old son still does does it passively, wherein he just lets himself be held and rocked, his eyes even rolling to the back of his head and his eyelids getting heavy, then pops awake and just stares at me. He moves his arms and legs all over the place and even talks. The new move he's added to his Operation: Fight Sleep arsenal is popping his paci out of his mouth and pursing his lips to deny its reentry to his mouth. Sometimes I just have no idea what to do when he seems so intent on fighting sleep while he's just plain exhausted and we all know it, and he seems to be able to fight it for such a long time I'm half-convinced he's a supernatural being. He goes to sleep for me sooner than for Mom though, he knows Dada don't play that poo poo. But, now his newest thing is screaming and fighting to get out of my arms and off my lap as if drifting off is the Mortal Kombat "continue" screen, falling asleep is the set of spikes at the bottom of the well, and he's getting off my lap to find quarters before the timer runs out.

They are going to change so rapidly you'll basically not be able to keep up, so just go with the flow. The whole thing where it takes you awhile to get her to sleep, it will pass. You gotta wait her out, it's not fun--in fact, it's immensely frustrating. Believe me, I know. You get used to some semblance of a routine, but by the time you even begin to, baby is like, "YO! WE PARTYIN' ALL NIGHT NOW, SLEEP SUCKS!"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I was a horrific sleeper as a youngin (and still am today) and the fight my parents used to have with me every night to "make me" go to sleep and the frustration they didnt hide when I was still awake in bed at 9pm meant the bedtime routine caused a lot of anxiety, and I don't want that repeated in my kid.
So, when he fights sleep, we try for a bit but if he can't settle and keeps grizzling repeatedly we just go lie down together in my bed and talk and play quietly until he is too drowsy to keep going, then he gets a cuddle until he's asleep. I usually leave him for an hour or so until he's deeply asleep before putting him back in his cot. We don't have to do this too often but when we do it usually takes maybe 30min.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
So I'm about to dump my daycare and I just want a sanity check. i have never had a kid this young I'm day care so I want to check my expectations

I only need daycare for 1 day every 2 weeks, so have been taking my 15 month old to an occasional day care centre for the last few months. She has probably been 5 or 6 times. It was all going ok, until I picked her up yesterday, my daughter cried when she saw me, then continued to be weepy and hard to settle (unusual for her). The director told me that she was very sooky and wanted to be held and have one on one attention all the time. She went on to say, previously this wasn't an issue because they had childcare students and now they don't and then mentioned under her breath that my daughter is very clever and manipulative about trying to get attention. I'm concerned about that attitude because I didn't think babies had the capacity to be manipulative - but my daughter at an age where is the director is right?

The other thing was my kid was really thirsty when I picked her up. She had been there for 7 hours and her water bottle was full and she frantically drank about 300mls when I offered it to her. Also she only had 1 nappy change all day? After the drink and a snack she was back to her normal self

I understand that she's going to be less settled than a kid that goes regularly and it must have been a busy day with less staff than usual. But i feel like her basic needs were not being met and when she tried to communicate this she was labelled manipulative?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'd dump them no question based on attitude alone. Also one nappy change, what the hell.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tamarillo posted:

I'd dump them no question based on attitude alone. Also one nappy change, what the hell.

In the state of New York that's a gross code violation and the regulating body would ream them up the rear end for such negligence.

This is clearly not new york, but I don't think being across the Atlantic makes kids need fewer diaper changes. It's simply not acceptable. Your daycare sucks rear end. Manipulative? What the hell. That's what kids that age do.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

pseudomonas posted:

So I'm about to dump my daycare and I just want a sanity check. i have never had a kid this young I'm day care so I want to check my expectations

I only need daycare for 1 day every 2 weeks, so have been taking my 15 month old to an occasional day care centre for the last few months. She has probably been 5 or 6 times. It was all going ok, until I picked her up yesterday, my daughter cried when she saw me, then continued to be weepy and hard to settle (unusual for her). The director told me that she was very sooky and wanted to be held and have one on one attention all the time. She went on to say, previously this wasn't an issue because they had childcare students and now they don't and then mentioned under her breath that my daughter is very clever and manipulative about trying to get attention. I'm concerned about that attitude because I didn't think babies had the capacity to be manipulative - but my daughter at an age where is the director is right?

The other thing was my kid was really thirsty when I picked her up. She had been there for 7 hours and her water bottle was full and she frantically drank about 300mls when I offered it to her. Also she only had 1 nappy change all day? After the drink and a snack she was back to her normal self

I understand that she's going to be less settled than a kid that goes regularly and it must have been a busy day with less staff than usual. But i feel like her basic needs were not being met and when she tried to communicate this she was labelled manipulative?

You used the word sooky so I’m guessing you are Australian?

That treatment is mind boggling to me and yes, drop immediately. What the gently caress.

My bub is 16 months old and when she’s fussy or needing cuddles, I just give them a heads up in the morning, they provide cuddles and have strategies in place. They update me with how she’s gone during the day, and the tone is never like that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The first poop after constipation is hard and small, as is the second.... Then boy once a soft one comes, it comes. Lots of wipes used for that one. That nappy is a credit to the brand!

No real point to this. Just had to say it to people who'd understand.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

pseudomonas posted:

Yeah, no. They don’t get to blame it on your child. Echoing what others said—kids at that age (my son is a month or so younger than your daughter) can kind of stretch emotions to get what they want and explore their boundaries to see what happens, but they aren’t being manipulative and they don’t necessarily do it with ulterior motives. They are learning about their world and learning social skills, not to lie or cheat. It’s just what kids do. My son “fake” cries to see our reactions and when he wants us to do something for him he can do himself but doesn’t feel like doing, but he doesn’t do it with the same motives adults might.

Hard to know what I’d have said if anything, but blaming negligence on the child being neglected is unacceptable especially when they say a child is being manipulative just to make it easier on herself and get extra things or whatever. If she’s being “manipulative” I’d bet it’s a direct response to not getting things she needs because she doesn’t know how else to ask for them—she can’t exactly go up to her teachers and ask for water or a diaper change. And it’s probably frustrating to her to not be understood and worse not get what she needs when she communicates the only way she knows how. And of the childcare students held her a lot and now she doesn’t get that all of a sudden? I’m sure that’s jarring, to be getting attention and then a lot of that attention stops.

I’d dump them for sure on the matter of blaming her by itself. That lady doesn’t seem to understand kids at all.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
It’s getting close to 1 AM and she’s in my arms in bed fighting sleep like a champ. Her eyes will close for a couple minutes and she will kick and wake herself up. She took a 30 minute nap at 10 AM and one 5 minute one at 6 PM, she’s been wide awake all day otherwise, and insatiably hungry. She emptied my boobs and then had an additional 8 oz of stored breast milk that my husband gave her after I handed her off so I could go to bed. It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... At least there wasn’t any inconsolable crying tonight.

Re: the bad daycare, dump them ASAP! I once had a similar experience with a new dog groomer (saying he was naughty when he’d never had any problems before, and not giving him any water so he downed two bowls when we got home) and I was really upset, I can’t imagine if that had been my human child!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Our 8 month old was moved into her own room recently and her sleep has just gone to complete poo poo. I don't think my wife or I have gotten more than 3-4 hours sleep a night since we did, when before we could reliably do 5-6. Help.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

How does a baby turn themselves around 180 in their bassinet while swaddled? I mean, my swaddles aren’t great but :confused:

She’s not rolling over yet, but I’ve got a feeling the swaddle days are limited.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

BadSamaritan posted:

How does a baby turn themselves around 180 in their bassinet while swaddled? I mean, my swaddles aren’t great but :confused:

She’s not rolling over yet, but I’ve got a feeling the swaddle days are limited.

My boy would flail his legs, even swaddled, with such force that I swore he'd flop out of the bassinet like a fish. The force would also rotate him around and he'd end up in all manner of positions.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My boy would flail his legs, even swaddled, with such force that I swore he'd flop out of the bassinet like a fish. The force would also rotate him around and he'd end up in all manner of positions.

This is when we switched to sleep sacks. The last thing we wanted was him working his way out of the swaddle, and having that swaddle turn into a loose blanket in the bassinet.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Sleepy eyes open
Swaddled feet flash above crib
Must be our bedtime

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

This is when we switched to sleep sacks. The last thing we wanted was him working his way out of the swaddle, and having that swaddle turn into a loose blanket in the bassinet.

That's exactly what we did as well. My wife sewed up a few sleep sacks (they look great), and they do a great job of keeping him warm while allowing enough movement for him to roll over without the risk of anything coming undone.

His favorite thing to do nowadays is to roll over onto his stomach, wake up, and scream because he can't roll himself back. Four month sleep regression is WONDERFUL. :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's exactly what we did as well. My wife sewed up a few sleep sacks (they look great), and they do a great job of keeping him warm while allowing enough movement for him to roll over without the risk of anything coming undone.

His favorite thing to do nowadays is to roll over onto his stomach, wake up, and scream because he can't roll himself back. Four month sleep regression is WONDERFUL. :suicide:

Then you get to do it again at 8 and 18 months!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I don't really have anything to add but I've been following this thread for a while. It has provided a lot of advice and suggestions that have helped a ton. So thank you all for that

Our son is just over 3 months and I'm sure I'll be posting here, in a panic, sometime in the near future

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Renegret posted:

Then you get to do it again at 8 and 18 months!

Our 8 month old hasn’t been toooo bad, a few wake ups around 3 or 4 but that’s it.

He’s normally going to bed at 7 pm and waking up around 5 or 6 the next day, but the naps....

Oh god the naps-he hates them! If he sleeps until 6 am he’s basically saying he got too much sleep and we might get 2 thirty minute naps during the day.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Koivunen posted:

It’s getting close to 1 AM and she’s in my arms in bed fighting sleep like a champ. Her eyes will close for a couple minutes and she will kick and wake herself up. She took a 30 minute nap at 10 AM and one 5 minute one at 6 PM, she’s been wide awake all day otherwise, and insatiably hungry. She emptied my boobs and then had an additional 8 oz of stored breast milk that my husband gave her after I handed her off so I could go to bed. It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... At least there wasn’t any inconsolable crying tonight.

Re: the bad daycare, dump them ASAP! I once had a similar experience with a new dog groomer (saying he was naughty when he’d never had any problems before, and not giving him any water so he downed two bowls when we got home) and I was really upset, I can’t imagine if that had been my human child!

Try adding a bath to the night routine. If you’re worried about dry skin / scalp you don’t always have to use soap. I think that was a major part of bedtime signaling when we first started a routine. On nights I was too tired and skipped it she woke up a lot right after going down. I had to stay consistent with it for a few weeks then I started skipping nights. We are going through a small sleep regression right now and on nights she fights me she gets a bath and it helps her relax and go to bed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have an 18 month old and a 3 year old, which is very convenient because they can take turns waking me up. Last night big sister didn't have any bad dreams wake her up, but little brother cried every hour or so.

He does go back down like a champ, so I can't really complain much, but unfortunately I don't fall back to sleep so easily.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

The first poop after constipation is hard and small, as is the second.... Then boy once a soft one comes, it comes. Lots of wipes used for that one. That nappy is a credit to the brand!

No real point to this. Just had to say it to people who'd understand.

I understand this all too well.

My son had chronic cycling of constipation and diarrhea when he was younger. Turned out to be because of a blockage that his first, absolutely poo poo pediatrician failed to diagnosis in his constant ignoring of our "Something isn't right" (turns out it was autism and learning disabilities for mental, the blockage for physical!).

When something worked around the blockage...wipes for days.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Really loving this leap my son is in! It’s great going through a mini sleep regression and going in for your kid to literally fight you from picking him up and arching his back and screaming and crying and refusing a pacifier or milk sippy.

Tonight, after only having slept two hours, he literally went from 0 (dead sleep) to 60 (standing up in crib) faster than I could turn my head. Right as I had sat down to eat a sandwich I had just made for dinner. Not the first time that’s happened. HOW DO YOU KNOW, BABY SORCEROR?! GIVE ME YOUR SECRETS. And like, how do you even go from dead sleep in the same position for two hours to wide awake enough to stand in less than two seconds with no problems whatsoever?

:suicide:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sarah posted:

Try adding a bath to the night routine. If you’re worried about dry skin / scalp you don’t always have to use soap.

I haven't used soap in baths more than twice in her 8 months. Just warm water. Shampooed once when she had a lot of food in her hair. She doesn't smell or look dirty and no one seems to have noticed. She also has had very few skin problems. Am I a weird or bad parent? Discuss.

BTW my baby seemingly can't do baths late in the evenings, like before bed. Her mood is of course worse when she's tired, and while she loves bathing and playing with the water, she will go completely bonkers with rage when we take her out of it. We have to do it in daytime, then she has no problem readjusting to being dried and clothed.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 18, 2019

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My baby thinks baths are poo poo no matter what time of day or night we try them. Sorry kid, hygiene comes first.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My daughter is 26 months old, and being able to communicate with her and have her understand and be ameneable to reason (to a degree) is such a huge relief.

She woke up at 5am (24/7 daylight in the arctic summer is great, huh?), and said "go out of bed!". I mumbled, "no, too early, sleep more" and she went "okay" and went back to sleep until 7:30. :allears:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

She woke up at 5am (24/7 daylight in the arctic summer is great, huh?), and said "go out of bed!". I mumbled, "no, too early, sleep more" and she went "okay" and went back to sleep until 7:30. :allears:

:swoon:

I have to keep our bedroom AC on as white noise because if my 11wk old hears the birds outside as the dawn kicks in she perks up. The birds start around 4:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You're welcome.

We use the Okay to Wake clock for quiet time and mornings. It's amazing.