Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I really preferred the wire shot to the new air raider shotguns. It had character and was pretty solid if you could wire up an entire crowd and then send them flying to shred everything. They were even decent shotguns in their own right and good enough I've dragged on Golden Darkness farming runs. Also they missed a chance to add higher level UMRAs, even just with a bigger magazine. They're both just such fun guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
For the longest time I thought the game was teasing me with the mothership the whole game. Then things got real. Then things got real-er. The game's sense of scale is unlike any other.

There's no shame in going through Normal because it can be rather brutal at times. This is another thing I appreciate about the series, that the higher difficulty levels aren't just "let's slap 50% more HP on everything, except for you", but throw new curveballs as you progress. I'm looking forward to the mission packs, and maybe this time around I'll get into online lobbies. I didn't do it with 4.1 because I didn't want my savefile to be ruined by someone randomly cheating.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blattdorf posted:

For the longest time I thought the game was teasing me with the mothership the whole game. Then things got real. Then things got real-er. The game's sense of scale is unlike any other.

There's no shame in going through Normal because it can be rather brutal at times. This is another thing I appreciate about the series, that the higher difficulty levels aren't just "let's slap 50% more HP on everything, except for you", but throw new curveballs as you progress. I'm looking forward to the mission packs, and maybe this time around I'll get into online lobbies. I didn't do it with 4.1 because I didn't want my savefile to be ruined by someone randomly cheating.

Yeah EDF is great about having things constantly escalate and have it mean something.

You start off with a full squad of guys in a normal city and you frequently have air strikes and vehicles backing you up; then by the end drat near everyone is dead and you're on your own more often than not, facing even larger hordes of enemies in a city that's been leveled long before you got there.

I still like how the final mission briefing in 2025 was just the guy in charge going "Alright, we're almost certainly hosed, but I'll be damned if we go down quietly. Feel free to join us if you want."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Got it all working, windowed didn't help but loving around with nvidia settings and downloading my monitor drivers did... for some reason.

Anyway: loving love it. Of all the guys I love I love the airraider the most... I know they suck but I like zguns and doom-roombas a whole bunch, especially against humanoid aliens, just six little roombas sliding past the entire horde of ants to blow up pepe six times one after the other while I'm posing behind a building like 'You are already dead'

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Morter posted:

Never thought I'd consider a vanity/beautiful shot in this game...but the melancholy of being the last survivor after Beta monsters ate all my friends and razed half the city...

:gbsmith:

We won! We'll win the next one, too!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Drones can go gently caress themselves lmao

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Motherfucker posted:

Drones can go gently caress themselves lmao

Im so happy that those fuckers are round pancakes now instead of these terrible shapes in 4 which I frequently missed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

even firing a minigun into a cloud of the goddamn things blocking out the entire sky only one or two seem to actually take a hit which causes them to pinwheel safely away while I fight to goddamn floaty lancer controls to get my stream of ultra slow bullets back on them

Air raider is giving me goddamn chills its so good, It reminds me of a millitary themed version of the dragons dogma sorcerer somehow except instead of slowly summoning a tornado to wipe out one big monster I'm summoning sky shotguns to punch meters wide holes in lines of giant ants, firing cruise missles and just for the gently caress of it spamming gundams.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 17, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I see the problem, you're using the miniguns, grab a pair of cannons instead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I see the problem, you're using the miniguns, grab a pair of cannons instead.

My big problem is mostly if I can't solve it with air raider I don't wanna solve it :V I mean I probably get some decent anti-air options but so far my loadout isn't filled out

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah EDF is great about having things constantly escalate and have it mean something.

You start off with a full squad of guys in a normal city and you frequently have air strikes and vehicles backing you up; then by the end drat near everyone is dead and you're on your own more often than not, facing even larger hordes of enemies in a city that's been leveled long before you got there.

I still like how the final mission briefing in 2025 was just the guy in charge going "Alright, we're almost certainly hosed, but I'll be damned if we go down quietly. Feel free to join us if you want."
If EDF is good at one thing its building up to that one moment in the final mission, just after the mothership enters its desperation phase and goes nuts with the lasers, where the radio chatter gets bleak because all hope is lost and then, against all possible odds, someone pipes up on the radio with "wait! Theres still somebody out there fighting!" And its you, they're talking about you and YOU'RE loving DOING IT YOU'RE SAVING THE GODDAMN EARTH SINGLEHANDEDLY.

It's the EDF moment (tm) and it gets me every single time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

If EDF is good at one thing its building up to that one moment in the final mission, just after the mothership enters its desperation phase and goes nuts with the lasers, where the radio chatter gets bleak because all hope is lost and then, against all possible odds, someone pipes up on the radio with "wait! Theres still somebody out there fighting!" And its you, they're talking about you and YOU'RE loving DOING IT YOU'RE SAVING THE GODDAMN EARTH SINGLEHANDEDLY.

senpai finally loving notices.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Air Raider is probably my favorite class in the game, it's giving me the Mercenaries fix I always wanted and never got.(gently caress mercs2)

I want to love Wing Divers but god drat, all of the weapons I have so far are complete poo poo and favors such a short range or uses up such a stupid amount of energy that it renders the one part I like about her useless.(flying)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mr Phillby posted:

All the chatter towards the end is a rollercoaster of emotions. Especially Project Omega...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So EDF5 just got steam trading cards.

Even those cannot escape that EDF Jank.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

BisbyWorl posted:

So EDF5 just got steam trading cards.

Even those cannot escape that EDF Jank.

I hope it doesn't get fixed. It's kinda cool having virtual trading cards in another language. Plus I love the ?????????? name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i probably killed more edf soldiers than the aliens did. those dudes just really loving love running in front of you while you are shooting.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like 4.1 built up to that final mission better than 5 does. 5 does raise the stake slowly, but then you just stumble upon the final boss by accident, as far as I can tell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
earth eaters suck, though. the build up was "oh no earth eaters" followed by "here's a stronger set of earth eaters that you are actually allowed to fight".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i probably killed more edf soldiers than the aliens did. those dudes just really loving love running in front of you while you are shooting.

I'm in a robot suit with my shield raised shooting an autocannon, guys don't... don't run in front of me

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm raining dozens of missiles on the enemy every second, don't stand in the tiny front cone where you will get us both killed. That goes double to the goddamn npc wingdivers doing short hops 6 feet above my head.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think I can safely say that the HUMANOID ALIENS are smarter than your allies

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grondoth posted:

I think I can safely say that the HUMANOID ALIENS are smarter than your allies
They climb, jump, roll, drag their torsos, shoot while downed, and regenerate limbs. They have more animations than your allies so they're most certainly smarter.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Deakul posted:

Air Raider is probably my favorite class in the game, it's giving me the Mercenaries fix I always wanted and never got.(gently caress mercs2)

I want to love Wing Divers but god drat, all of the weapons I have so far are complete poo poo and favors such a short range or uses up such a stupid amount of energy that it renders the one part I like about her useless.(flying)

Wing Diver gets lovely tools a little late, after my first playthrough with Ranger on Normal there was a decent collection; Stardust Cannon is very nice point-blank against HUMANOID ALIENS.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Deakul posted:

Wing Diver is fundamentally a knife fighting close-in glass cannon class; their mobility is there to facilitate them being able to get into punching range and out again without dying. All of their very best options range from "melee" to "video game sawed off shotgun" range, with few exceptions. She has some sniper rifles and some long range stuff but they're either so woefully inefficient as to be unusable(most of the snipers) or do so little damage that they're only useful against the chaffiest of enemies(most of the homing shots only really kill bees, for example). In return, all of that short range stuff has some of the most insane bonkers nutty DPS in the game.

If you're not comfortable flying into a giant monster's taint to cut it in half with a laser chainsaw it's not going to be a comfy class for you.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Deakul posted:

(gently caress mercs2)

Oh no you didn’t

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wing Diver is my go-to class when I'm not Air Raiding because it's the opposite end of the spectrum from off-handedly blowing up swaths of insects with air strikes halfway across the map. Also going from worst mobility to best is a nice change of pace from time to time.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Mr Phillby posted:

Definitely. You're the one trooper crazy enough to use experimental weapons that are basically hand-held WMD's, a sniper rifle that could probably knock stuff out of orbit, or what is basically a A-10 stuffed into a assault rifle. You commit a war-crime each time you pull the trigger. And you're the last one left standing atop a pile of ravager bodies. :black101:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deakul posted:

You are running out the energy bar to refill it quickly, right?
That change is great. I can be a burst class with a stupidly powerful weapon that takes a while to set up and then ruin someone's day like a flying **in.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
105mm cannon can wreck drone swarms when you don't have spritefall up, which also seriously messes up regular drone swarms. Not seeing enough love for the 105mm which is basically spritefall but a bit less damage and time instead of tickets. Alternately, it's a bigger radius autocannon.

Kanos posted:

Wing Diver is fundamentally a knife fighting close-in glass cannon class; their mobility is there to facilitate them being able to get into punching range and out again without dying. All of their very best options range from "melee" to "video game sawed off shotgun" range, with few exceptions. She has some sniper rifles and some long range stuff but they're either so woefully inefficient as to be unusable(most of the snipers) or do so little damage that they're only useful against the chaffiest of enemies(most of the homing shots only really kill bees, for example). In return, all of that short range stuff has some of the most insane bonkers nutty DPS in the game.

If you're not comfortable flying into a giant monster's taint to cut it in half with a laser chainsaw it's not going to be a comfy class for you.
Chaining heavy/great plasma balls once you get bigger post-normal difficulty cores is pretty great. Even the level 15 heavy plasma will one shot a 30m radius of solo inferno red ants, and these both have good range. Heavy does 7k damage in 30m at 1k range, and great does 22k damage in 36m at 8.8k (why? lol) range. They really need cores above their level to make a main weapon unless you are trying to blow up mothership/base/final boss.

The big plasma line is also generally really good around the levels you get them. Between big heavy and great you usually have one usable I AM THE AIRSTRIKE plasma cannon that doubles as a structure sniper available after level 10, though late normal and a certain point in hard is a bit awkward. Using a dragoon lance or such would generally be better against single targets assuming you can get close and that travel won't take too long.

Stardust A and beyond can also be an effective mid range weapons once the accuracy is upgraded if you can manage to not kill yourself, but you won't see this until mid hard at least.

Mag past the first one for wing diver also really good for messing up drones or single insects. Especially red drones since they can't shoot you if you point a mag at them. You just need a bunch of upgrades so it doesn't cost all your energy to reload it in the first third of the clip. As a bonus if you're using a power hungry weapon mag can let you fire while taking advantage of emergency recharge rate much more easily as it is clip based not charge based.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 17, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

limited posted:

Definitely. You're the one trooper crazy enough to use experimental weapons that are basically hand-held WMD's, a sniper rifle that could probably knock stuff out of orbit, or what is basically a A-10 stuffed into a assault rifle. You commit a war-crime each time you pull the trigger. And you're the last one left standing atop a pile of ravager bodies. :black101:

It's not a war crime if it's against genetically engineered giant bugs and (I'm guessing) cloned giant alien soldiers. Ain't no Space Geneva Convention I've ever heard of!

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Late to the party and finally playing through EDF 4.1 on Normal > Hard after getting stuck around mission ~40 trying to do hard/ hardest with way too little armor.

Beat it on Normal with Ranger and it seems like the second half of the game is really biased in favor of super long range options with all the dropships and Earth Eaters that need getting got; Ranger rockets own but I'm not sure how I'd do those sequences as Fencer (keep 2x cannons on switch? But that's not dash cancel friendly) or Wing Diver (fly up to dropships as Diver?)

Are there any secret tricks or damage methods I'm missing for dealing with those Earth Eater panels/ transforming dropships?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wing diver's options for those missions with large numbers of distant armed enemies kind of suck. maybe some people can dive into those clusterfucks with a laser lance and not die, but i sure can't. so, that leaves lackluster sniping with plasma cannons.

it's probably intentional that every class aside from ranger has missions they are no good for.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Much love to the Closed Laser family, which lets me prod drones from a huge distance to aggro and lure them, as well as laser-drilling into Teleportation Ships. It goes on for a ridiculously long time. It's not the best IN combat but if you wanna reach out and touch someone a mile away as a Wing Diver, that's my go to.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I really preferred the wire shot to the new air raider shotguns. It had character and was pretty solid if you could wire up an entire crowd and then send them flying to shred everything. They were even decent shotguns in their own right and good enough I've dragged on Golden Darkness farming runs. Also they missed a chance to add higher level UMRAs, even just with a bigger magazine. They're both just such fun guns.

how do you even use it the few times I brought it out to give it a try it didn't actually

do anything

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I'm not sure how I'd do those sequences as Fencer (keep 2x cannons on switch? But that's not dash cancel friendly)

Pretty much. You use one pair of weapons for dash-canceling, and the other pair is something more specialized for the mission--for me it's almost always a pair of Gallic Heavies, Light Mortars, or Vulcan Hammers.

quote:

(fly up to dropships as Diver?)

This actually works great on the missions Void Ship, Fleet Attack, Teeth of the Universe, Labyrinth of Light, and Troubled Valley.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 18, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Bofast posted:

I feel like 4.1 built up to that final mission better than 5 does. 5 does raise the stake slowly, but then you just stumble upon the final boss by accident, as far as I can tell.
There's some build up in 5, it's just a lot less memorable than 4.1 because Ohara the ravager expert was an amazing character, ofc you're going to remember him going out in a blaze of glory so you can find and defeat THE BRAIN.

5 has a lot of background chatter about EGGS THROUGHOUT HISTORY, and IIRC you're right that you're just sort of fighting a mothership and it turns out to be the important one? I did appreciate the token gesture they made towards explaining why Giant Ants were a thing though. Also the actual final boss in 5 is great, and I never really cared for actually fighting the Earth eaters, even though the concept was cool as heck.

If i had to rate the mothership fights in all the games I'd probably say 5, 2, 4.1, 3, 1, IR (IA doesn't even qualify) would be the order.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Oh my god these green ants in Mission Pack 1 are adorable

So much so I got a crash to desktop in one of them from so much explosion

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

how do you even use it the few times I brought it out to give it a try it didn't actually

do anything

The trick with the wire shot is that it deals a modest amount of damage to anything that touches one of the threads at any point along the length of the thread and will stick to the target. Getting the most damage out of it then is about getting a massive tangle by shooting deep into a large crowd and then moving afterward while it reloads to get the threads still attached to the gun to touch even more insects. If you've got a partner with explosives, they can shoot into the tangle to send the enemies flying which causes the threads attached to them to hit yet more insects. It's never been some ultra-powerful strategy but it's at least an interesting novelty to get working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think my favorite thing in 5 is doing green ants with lots of dashes and a vulcan hammer. the small greens can't knock you out of the air, so jumping smashes work beautifully well. it doesn't work nearly as well with non-green ants or, god forbid, spiders. it obviously doesn't work at all with pillbugs.