Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fried Watermelon posted:

will it make you cheat on your wife or film men in bathrooms?

stupid fuckin mistakes man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Chomp8645 posted:

Friend of mine got her motorcycle rear-ended (low speed) last night by a drunk driver. She wasn't hurt but was shaken up a bit and didn't object or think about it when the cops called a tow for the bike. Nobody ever asked her where to take it, the towing company just took it straight to their lot (less than eight miles).

Charge from the towing company: $340 + $40 per day it stays there.

This poo poo is a real racket. And this is for the innocent party! (It's pretty open and shut, the other driver was literally arrested at the scene for DUI)

This happened to me when I got in an accident years ago. I had a AAA membership, and was somehow able to get them to cover the cost.

Pretty sure local cops collaborate with sketchy towing companies for a cut of the fees.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

stuffed crust is a lie, it's never actually stuffed and it always tastes worse than the more honest workaday crusts, and so eating it is thus one of the only mortal pizza sins you can commit, the other one being heating up cold leftover pizza before eating

e: after full communism the crusts will actually be stuffed and also coated in garlic and just the right amount of olive oil and will therefore no longer be a pizza sin

T-man has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jul 17, 2019

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Panfilo posted:

This happened to me when I got in an accident years ago. I had a AAA membership, and was somehow able to get them to cover the cost.

Pretty sure local cops collaborate with sketchy towing companies for a cut of the fees.

Where I live tow companies will literally double the cost of a tow if it's the police who call them in. It's a loving racket and the pigs are complicit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

T-man posted:

stuffed crust is a lie, it's never actually stuffed and it always tastes worse than the more honest workaday crusts, and so eating it is thus one of the only mortal pizza sins you can commit, the other one being heating up cold leftover pizza before eating

e: after full communism the crusts will actually be stuffed and also coated in garlic and just the right amount of olive oil and will therefore no longer be a pizza sin

no pizza rules

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The Washington State Department of Labor is considering changing their overtime rules, increasing the minimum necessary salary to be considered salary-exempt by linking it to the minimum wage, eventually getting to 2.5x the minimum wage by 2026 (projected to be about $80,000, given that the minimum wage in Washington is linked to the CPI). A few surprises, but mostly what you would expect:

*Unions were entirely in favor. This was actually a little surprising, given that unions out here usually find a reason to side with business.
*Pretty much all of the non-management employees who spoke were in favor of the rule.
*A few "small businessmen" who showed up to talk about how fast this seven-year process would be.
*Most surprising: the arts community came out in force against the rule; three different arts people there all came out against it, including a dude (HR Director of the 5th Avenue Theater) with a letter signed by most of the major theater groups and museums in the area, urging them to only adopt the $47,000 salary the feds tried to adopt under Obama. Also appearing: Kimerly Rorschach, Director and CEO of the Seattle Art Museum, 62 years old (so she benefitted from the 1976 salary rule, the last time this was updated), who was paid $500,000 in salary in 2014, and Josh LaBelle, Executive Director of Seattle Theater Group, 54 years old (so he didn't benefit quite as much from the 1976 rule, but did benefit from it far more than we do), who was paid $340,000 in salary in 2017, both showed up to advocate for paying their employees less (but weirdly not for paying themselves less; very strange).
*Hospitals also sent lobbyists and lawyers in force.
*The excuses! So many excuses!
--"Our employees want flexibility in their hours!"
--"I get to work from home a day a week, and wouldn't be able to do that!" (no explanation as to why being an hourly employee prevents someone from working from home; apparently, the computer knows, and refuses to work for hourly employees?)
--"People shouldn't be scrambling after getting paid for every hour they work!"
--"Unpaid overtime builds character!" (no joke; said by, of course, a loving Baby Boomer)
--"Our employees feel punching a timecard is demeaning." (What the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress? That was an HR director from Bartell's)

EDIT: Also, Nick Hanauer showed up, unsurprisingly pro-reform.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Jul 17, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pentridge Prison was Melbourne's most infamous gaol. Built in 1851 it was a bluestone house of loving horrors.

It was finally closed in 1997 and, naturally, turned over to developers because, what had 150 years earlier been far away from any population centres, was now right in the middle of the state's biggest city and sitting on top of land worth millions.

The developers, unable to rip its stone guts out, had to become creative.

On one hand, I almost admire their hustle for figuring out how to make money off tiny rooms with immensely thick walls made from incredibly dense rock.

But on the other hand, the place is an historic landmark and should be treated with the respect of any location which saw the state brutalising its citizens.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This seems like it could have been a pretty cool new tourist attraction instead of ... wine cellars??

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pentridge Prison was Melbourne's most infamous gaol. Built in 1851 it was a bluestone house of loving horrors.

It was finally closed in 1997 and, naturally, turned over to developers because, what had 150 years earlier been far away from any population centres, was now right in the middle of the state's biggest city and sitting on top of land worth millions.

The developers, unable to rip its stone guts out, had to become creative.

On one hand, I almost admire their hustle for figuring out how to make money off tiny rooms with immensely thick walls made from incredibly dense rock.

But on the other hand, the place is an historic landmark and should be treated with the respect of any location which saw the state brutalising its citizens.

I support it if the money is used to provide reparations (lol)

is “served at her majesty’s pleasure” some kind of comical way to refer to people imprisoned or is it a wing for military prisoners?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Thanatosian posted:

*The excuses! So many excuses!
--"Our employees want flexibility in their hours!"
--"I get to work from home a day a week, and wouldn't be able to do that!" (no explanation as to why being an hourly employee prevents someone from working from home; apparently, the computer knows, and refuses to work for hourly employees?)
--"Our employees feel punching a timecard is demeaning." (What the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress? That was an HR director from Bartell's)

EDIT: Also, Nick Hanauer showed up, unsurprisingly pro-reform.

Work-from-home is often a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way to work less hours. Salaried employees don't always have anywhere near 8-hours of stuff to do in a workday, so working from home basically turns into on-call plus a bit extra. Companies don't give a poo poo because they expect you to be all hands on deck when something is critical. Same deal with the time card and the flexibility. No one gives a poo poo if a salary worker comes in 5 minutes late or ducks out for a long lunch to run an errand unless they are already on the poo poo-list.

If workers are paid by the hour, you better believe that the company is a) meticulously tracking time and b) doing whatever possible to keep recorded hours to a strict 40. So you probably won't get roped into too much OT (other than various unpaid prep work), but the trade-off is you ain't gaming the system the other way either.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

ChipNDip posted:

Work-from-home is often a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way to work less hours. Salaried employees don't always have anywhere near 8-hours of stuff to do in a workday, so working from home basically turns into on-call plus a bit extra. Companies don't give a poo poo because they expect you to be all hands on deck when something is critical. Same deal with the time card and the flexibility. No one gives a poo poo if a salary worker comes in 5 minutes late or ducks out for a long lunch to run an errand unless they are already on the poo poo-list.

If workers are paid by the hour, you better believe that the company is a) meticulously tracking time and b) doing whatever possible to keep recorded hours to a strict 40. So you probably won't get roped into too much OT (other than various unpaid prep work), but the trade-off is you ain't gaming the system the other way either.

work-from-home is a great way to prevent unions. can’t organize if you can’t meet!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Doctor doctor, give me the news!
I've got a bad case of recording pubes!

God dammit now this is all I'll be able to hear

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vomik posted:

work-from-home is a great way to prevent unions. can’t organize if you can’t meet!!

Nah if people work from home they're already used to meeting remotely with coworkers, you just add each other to some chat thing and use that. It's what we do at my office anyway :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vomik posted:

I support it if the money is used to provide reparations (lol)

is “served at her majesty’s pleasure” some kind of comical way to refer to people imprisoned or is it a wing for military prisoners?

It means it was the wing where the royal sex dungeon was and where the royal gimps were stored.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

Nah if people work from home they're already used to meeting remotely with coworkers, you just add each other to some chat thing and use that. It's what we do at my office anyway :shrug:

depends on the kind of work they’re doing. if it’s a distributed call center sort of thing, or sales, they might rarely have cause to meet a co-worker.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

depends on the kind of work they’re doing. if it’s a distributed call center sort of thing, or sales, they might rarely have cause to meet a co-worker.

My company has one of these and the only people the work-at-home call center people talk to are their supervisors, who in turn, if they are working at home, speak pretty much only to their managers unless there's a conference call team meeting or something.

However, if you are a remote tech worker, you will often be chatting with one or more of your coworkers on the side, whether management approves or not.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Cross post from the relationships thread. Enjoy the story of this captain of industry self-owning himself again and again.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Was it this thread where the story about the dude who illegally fired his employees then got caught by the taxman was posted? It might have been the capitalism thread. Anyway, he's back

Need to pay £150,000 HMRC tax penalty, want to appeal.

quote:

During the interview, they said they would not pursue director disqualification due to lack of public interest and only if I pay the fine. However, I think the penalty is excessive. I only tax evaded about £800,000 worth over two financial years so I don't see why I'm being penalised that heavily. Is there a way to appeal this penalty. I'm happy to pay £50,000 but this excessive sum would be a burden on my business.

My accountant is currently being investigated by the FRC and ICAE regulatory body, so it would not be appropriate for me to ask him to help me.

It's quite the saga:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

"I only evaded about £800,000 worth"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

Cross post from the relationships thread. Enjoy the story of this captain of industry self-owning himself again and again.

It's quite the saga:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

"I only evaded about £800,000 worth"
[/quote]

God, they need to throw that guy into prison for the rest of his loving life.

quote:

My business employed 20 people. Invested in the local community. I started from NOTHING and built a small textile industry which helps provide material for the clothes, furniture, people like you take for granted. Small businesses and enterprises like me get no help from the government, I had to take the risk to get the best out of it. I am a successful businessman with multiple houses which I own and provide housing by renting it out, wheres your business?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol what a douchebag. Go to jail bithc!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not about to look it up on my phone but I do not believe for a second that the UK has 0 small business breaks or subsidies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not about to look it up on my phone but I do not believe for a second that the UK has 0 small business breaks or subsidies.
What do you want to bet this guy inherited a bunch of money, too?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite part was "I'd ask my accountant but he's currently under investigation too"

Gee I wonder how you got into this situation in the first place :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

God, they need to throw that guy into prison for the rest of his loving life.

Ok never mind my favorite part is now "I'm so generous and benevolent, after all I own a bunch of houses and charge people to live in them :smug:"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

lol what a douchebag. Go to jail bithc!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here's a summary of the previous parts for anyone who doesn't want to click the links:

1 year ago: Hi Reddit, can I do employment crimes like firing someone for going on strike?

4 months ago: Ok well I went ahead and did the employment crimes and now those mean ol' trade unions are suing me!!! This never would have happened if the unions had just listened to me saying "please don't sue me", ugh!
Choice quote:

quote:

I have a family to feed, to put food on the plate and I was effectively losing money with their unnecessary strike actions

3 months ago: Ok I'm trying to just liquidate this company now and I was worried I'd be sued by the employees and union, so I just didn't tell them. Apparently THAT'S illegal too and I might go to prison?! Of course, my employees are probably too stupid to notice, so I'm fine.
Choice quote, emphasis mine:

quote:

I'm making GBS threads myself at the moment in facing potentially prison time for a victimless crime. Surely there must be another defence, can someone help me out please???

2 months ago: I just tried to just immediately start the company over with the money from the liquidated company, but that's ALSO illegal apparently?! And now I have to go to court for all my crimes, but I didn't show up because I couldn't bring my crooked accountant with me, and now they're threatening to arrest me?! This is all the fault of my drat lawyer, who should have told me all these things were illegal before I tried to do them!
Choice quote:

quote:

Journalist from the Evening Standard attempted to contact me so I'm worried this would be plastered all over the news which is the last thing I want.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

WhErE's YoUr BuSiNeSs????

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I'm 110% certain this is the case in my town as well. When my car was stolen a few months back by some douche- my work had it all on film and even got the guys' face and the cops told me over and over again they'd try and contact me if the car was found and in running shape so I could pick it up before it got towed, and that they'd be going after the guy.

Maybe three days later it was found and the officer who found it made no effort to call me so instead it was towed. The next day the police called to let me know it was recovered and at a tow lot and so I was left with $300+75/day tow lot fees. Total loving racket. My insurance did an about face and didn't want to reimburse me at all for the tow or the cost of a rental car unless I had a tier of car insurance that's like triple what I already pay. They never followed up on trying to find the car thief and I was told, "just get a club so it doesn't happen again."

Like I guess check that one off the ol' life experience list?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It seems that when I stole all that money I was committing something called a "crime"? And now I'm supposed to go to some thing called a "court" and bring a "lawyer" with me? I dunno the whole thing sounds like a scam so I'll just ignore it until all this goes away :confused:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
holy gently caress he's completely detached from reality and his actions having consequences this owns and i hope he goes to prison

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've often thought a really great super power would be the ability to FORCE people to really grok, just really feel and understand with every fiber of their being, just how terrible their actions are and what harm they've done. Like a nonviolent Punisher.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gotta love the accountant who advised him to just liquidate his assets before he could be sued out of them and is now under investigation xerself.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

I've often thought a really great super power would be the ability to FORCE people to really grok, just really feel and understand with every fiber of their being, just how terrible their actions are and what harm they've done. Like a nonviolent Punisher.

:flashfact:
Ghost Rider has that ability.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Penance_Stare

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

Here's a summary of the previous parts for anyone who doesn't want to click the links:

1 year ago: Hi Reddit, can I do employment crimes like firing someone for going on strike?

4 months ago: Ok well I went ahead and did the employment crimes and now those mean ol' trade unions are suing me!!! This never would have happened if the unions had just listened to me saying "please don't sue me", ugh!
Choice quote:

3 months ago: Ok I'm trying to just liquidate this company now and I was worried I'd be sued by the employees and union, so I just didn't tell them. Apparently THAT'S illegal too and I might go to prison?! Of course, my employees are probably too stupid to notice, so I'm fine.
Choice quote, emphasis mine:

2 months ago: I just tried to just immediately start the company over with the money from the liquidated company, but that's ALSO illegal apparently?! And now I have to go to court for all my crimes, but I didn't show up because I couldn't bring my crooked accountant with me, and now they're threatening to arrest me?! This is all the fault of my drat lawyer, who should have told me all these things were illegal before I tried to do them!
Choice quote:

jfc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I do not want a disqualification order. I've worked all my life as a director. I've contributed so much to my businesses. To disqualify me for 15 years.. that would remove any dignity and agency I have. I am fit to be director, if my solicitor was good enough this probably wouldn't have happened.

- Talking about dignity and agency after firing union employees trying to strike after loving them on their pension plans (and who knows what else, this is just what this person admits to)

- Contributed so much? You appear to have blown up a small issue into such a big deal that you literally cratered your business and lost everyone's money and your workers' jobs. For nothing.

- And to cap it all off, continues to blame all this on other people even after admitting multiple times that he didn't listen to those people's advice.

gently caress these people so hard. Everything is always someone else's fault. How dare the union leader not just gently caress over the employee and do what he wanted! His totally illegal action would have been fine otherwise!!

Then in social events they turn around and talk a big game about how they are making jobs and renting homes to people and blah blah blah so responsible so loving awesome. Everyone else is just lazy and doesn't work hard! Pieces of poo poo.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Jul 17, 2019

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Moridin920 posted:

- Talking about dignity and agency after firing union employees trying to strike after loving them on their pension plans (and who knows what else, this is just what this person admits to)

- Contributed so much? You appear to have blown up a small issue into such a big deal that you literally cratered your business and lost everyone's money and your workers' jobs. For nothing.

- And to cap it all off, continues to blame all this on other people even after admitting multiple times that he didn't listen to those people's advice.

gently caress these people so hard. Everything is always someone else's fault. How dare the union leader not just gently caress over the employee and do what he wanted! His totally illegal action would have been fine otherwise!!

Then in social events they turn around and talk a big game about how they are making jobs and renting homes to people and blah blah blah so responsible so loving awesome. Everyone else is just lazy and doesn't work hard! Pieces of poo poo.

For rich people like this guy who do poo poo like this we really need to go back to branding people homo sacer and just letting the people sort it out.

Koschei
Sep 14, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/city-hopes-baby-shark-song-will-drive-homeless-from-park-1.4511520

quote:

West Palm Beach parks and recreation director Leah Rockwell tells the Palm Beach Post they're trying to discourage people from sleeping outside the glass-walled Waterfront Lake Pavilion, which she says rakes in some $240,000 annually from events.

It's wild to live in an age where abstract legal entities such as corporations are more real as people than actual people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Give every tramp a gun and so on

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moridin920 posted:

Give every tramp a gun

To the tune of "Lift Every Voice and Sing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Imagined posted:

Persona 5 has this, although it's very Anime and not as cathartic as it could be. Still, watching villains go "oh gently caress I'm a piece of poo poo and I really need to be arrested now" is cool and good.