Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gory was a star but only in Mexico. Eddie eclipsed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

Sometimes taking two random lower/midcard singles guys not doing anything and sticking them in an odd couple tag team for no reason creates a beautiful chemistry like Tyson and Cesaro. They were great together.

The New Age Outlaws.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just wish they'd give more of them tag team names.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Imagine starting a wrestling career knowing that WWE will never, ever put your face on TV. Why not just become an accountant or something at that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I really hope this kid is getting lots of therapy.

gently caress I can't imagine what he's going through

He used to sleep in his dad's tights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he should go to njpw dojo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

We all used to sleep in our dad's tights

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
and when he's not sleeping in his dad's tights, he's walking around in his dad's bra

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pillman jr. actually should go to the new japan dojo

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

So what was the deal with Pretty Ricky? Was it meant to go somewhere?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if thats a wwe thing no nothing is supposed to go anywhere

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Imagine starting a wrestling career knowing that WWE will never, ever put your face on TV. Why not just become an accountant or something at that point.

I mean, they stil have that Blue Dot gimmick available that Vince wanted to use for Christian.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

pillman jr. actually should go to the new japan dojo

especially with that drat mullet he's got now

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is it too much to ask for a big fat mulleted galoot who just does chops and moonsaults, it’s all I want in wrestling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

jesus WEP posted:

is it too much to ask for a big fat mulleted galoot who just does chops and moonsaults, it’s all I want in wrestling

Jeff Cobb

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jeff with a mullet and less moves would be really cool yeah, he’s not really fat as much as just huge

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Can Hangman Page do a moonsault?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fadmonkey posted:

I'd assume so considering he does a shooting star press from the apron to the floor.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

fadmonkey posted:

https://youtu.be/ElW2eeEGuxU

Yeah I'd say so

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Page went from whatever dude to so loving good in NJPW in just a year and I have no idea where that guy went.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing a mixture of time off due to AEW jot having TV right now to not working with the top guys like he did in the G1 has caused Page to regress a bit as a worker. I still think he has a lot of potential but probably needs a bit of an indy run to work some rust off before the next big AEW show

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

harperdc posted:

especially with that drat mullet he's got now

they'd make him chop it off though

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they'd make him chop it off though

The first thing I thought of when I read this was Pillman getting chopped so hard by Kojima that his mullet detached and now that's all I want to see

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Ganso Bomb posted:

The first thing I thought of when I read this was Pillman getting chopped so hard by Kojima that his mullet detached and now that's all I want to see

i can already hear the crowd going "oooooOOoOOoOOOAOAOOAOAOAAAAAAAAA" for this

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Having so much time off this year has hurt Hangman the most. He's only had five matches this year (apparently he was at the dome on January 4th?!) which is like less than he had in December 2018.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Wait, seriously? Where did that story come from?

As far as some of the other names mentioned:

Jake Roberts obviously became a bigger star than Grizzly Smith, but Grizzly, as terrible of a human being as he was, was a legit big territory draw as one half of the Kentuckians with Luke Brown. Especially when they feuded with The Assassins.

The Guerreros thing is tricky. Gory was absolutely the biggest star of the family in Mexico, but Chavo and Eddy were much bigger stars in the U.S. and on a worldwide basis.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

remusclaw posted:

Page went from whatever dude to so loving good in NJPW in just a year and I have no idea where that guy went.

Yeah, he's still young, while he debuted in 2010 he's only done 50 or more dates a year 4 times & I don't think it's a coincidence he came on the most last year when he did over 50 dates alone for New Japan and got to work guys like Kota, Kenny, Tanahashi, Liger, Mysterio, KUSHIDA, Suzuki, Makabe. No doubt AEW will be good for him personally in the long run but guys get better by getting to wrestle in front of a live audience. And so far he's had a brief part in the NEVER Trios clusterfuck at Wrestle Kingdom, a fairly short appearance as the last man in a Battle Royale, an 11 minute 4 way, a 19 minute match with a guy more inexperienced than him at Fight For The Fallen. The match with Pac is the only singles match with a more experienced guy he's had so far this year.

Hopefully that changes when AEW is running weekly TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Wait, seriously? Where did that story come from?

He would tweet about it. He deleted them but a few years ago he'd tweet pics of himself with the gear and mentioned he slept in it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://youtu.be/r76ueohMufA

what the gently caress is Inoki doing at 1:33? is that supposed to be like a neck snap move or a really quick pass-out from a blood choke?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Low Desert Punk posted:

what the gently caress is Inoki doing at 1:33? is that supposed to be like a neck snap move or a really quick pass-out from a blood choke?

He killed that man. (looks like a neck snap)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb0N1o1KodA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It looks like a "short" rear naked choke, with the forearm into the throat instead of a blood choke.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Halloween Jack posted:

It looks like a "short" rear naked choke, with the forearm into the throat instead of a blood choke.

Yeah I think you're right. I think the thing he does that looks like a snapping motion is supposed to be him jamming Hase's throat down onto his forearm with his shoulder. Great sell too

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

OK, so I don't go to wrestling shows because I don't have any friends who like wrestling, and also I'd rather chop both of my hands off than interact with a stranger. But next month I'm moving to a town with a really good local. Is it possible to go to wrestling shows on your own without feeling like the saddest creepo? How uncommon is it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Not uncommon at all in my experience

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Depends? How comfortable are you going to different events and the like alone? Ever been to the cinema alone? No one's gonna care you're there alone unless you're a mega weirdo or something. I mean - they're wrestling fans, they're probably weirder than you already. There'll be plenty of other people going alone.

I guess if you're a woman you might have to be on the lookout for people awkwardly trying to hit on you.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

I guess if you're a woman you might have to be on the lookout for people awkwardly trying to hit on you.
oh yeah this for sure, my gf too sweeted someone in the street because he was wearing a bullet club shirt and instantly regretted it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

oh yeah this for sure, my gf too sweeted someone in the street because he was wearing a bullet club shirt and instantly regretted it

I assume he got creepy or horny or both?

Or maybe he's one of those weirdos who get mad when girls infiltrate their fandom, that whole concept is weird

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

As long as you don't do literally everything alone, you should feel fine to do some things alone. If you do everything alone figure out why.

Just go to the wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Explosions posted:

OK, so I don't go to wrestling shows because I don't have any friends who like wrestling, and also I'd rather chop both of my hands off than interact with a stranger. But next month I'm moving to a town with a really good local. Is it possible to go to wrestling shows on your own without feeling like the saddest creepo? How uncommon is it?

I used to be real hung up on this, but then I decided to start going to ROH shows in New York back in the mid/late 2000s. Got to see a bunch of fun and awesome stuff (and some horrible stuff, like that Austin Aries suicide dive on Nigel McGuinness that drove Nigel's head into the barricade). I'd take a 6-hour bus each way to see the shows and while it was a hassle, it was always worth it. I also get anxiety dealing with strangers or crowds in situations like that and felt like I'd look like a big loving idiot sitting there by myself while everyone else (I assumed) was there with friends. But, the call of wrestling was too much for me to resist and I wound up having a blast every time. If you have wrestling close to you and you can muster the courage to go, go for it! You can always bail if you start to feel weird, too.