Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its like the only places you think you can get cracked poo poo is from https://www.totallylegitandsafesoftwareforfree.ru or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FilthyImp posted:

And wasn't Crunchy like basically a pirate youtube of anime that went legit ?

Yes. They started with only a small amount of legit licenses plus hundreds of shows in the "well we won't get sued" grey area.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

Yes. They started with only a small amount of legit licenses plus hundreds of shows in the "well we won't get sued" grey area.
Ah, I didn't know they actually had licenses. I just remember looking at the site going "why am I going to pay for pirate streams???"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dameius posted:

Its like the only places you think you can get cracked poo poo is from https://www.totallylegitandsafesoftwareforfree.ru or something.

gently caress my go to isn't loading.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think corporations would realise that people are willing to pay for convenience. It's kind of the entire business model of Amazon.

Piracy is also extremely common with anime because it's traditionally impossible to get outside of Japan unless you pay hefty import fees or get very lucky, hence why there's now services like Crunchyroll and Animelab trying to be a profitable alternative to piracy. And not much better in Japan given DVD box sets are traditionally absurdly overpriced to target a very small audience of sad nerds with disposable income.

Remember when DVD regioning was a thing? gently caress that so hard.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Solkanar512 posted:

Remember when DVD regioning was a thing? gently caress that so hard.

Isn't that still a thing? I just think it's been like 10 years since I've purchased physical media.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Doom Rooster posted:

Negative. Say what you will about about their business practices, EA is consistently rated as one of the best games companies to work for. Pay is great, diversity is high, work/life balance is respected and teams work well together (other than the Anthem situation).

It only sucks to work at EA if you’re the tortured genius dev who wants to build your creative vision by yourself with no collaboration.

Feel free to say whatever you want about SURPRISE MECHANICS, business models and legacy game support though.

I'm surprised this floated by unchallenged. I worked at EA. The only thing you have right is that they splash out money on bennies you never have time to use that look good for "best workplace" ratings. QA and associate producers are criminally underpaid and worked to the bone. In Canada (BC) they have successfully lobbied the government for decades to remove work place protections like overtime pay, max hours worked for week, scheduling controls, and wage controls.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scaramouche posted:

I'm surprised this floated by unchallenged. I worked at EA. The only thing you have right is that they splash out money on bennies you never have time to use that look good for "best workplace" ratings. QA and associate producers are criminally underpaid and worked to the bone. In Canada (BC) they have successfully lobbied the government for decades to remove work place protections like overtime pay, max hours worked for week, scheduling controls, and wage controls.

Genuinely curious, as this has not been at all my experience. How long ago did you work at EA? Was it while Riccitiello was still running things? I got to EA shortly after Wilson took over. I can't speak for QA, but the assprods where I am at are far from criminally underpaid, and even this close to FIFA launch, the office is a ghost town after 7:00pm except for the live teams (24x7).

Again, there are business decisions that make me cringe, but having been through the Burnaby, Austin, DICE LA, Respawn, Stockholm, and Galway offices, EA is super chill to work for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn't that still a thing? I just think it's been like 10 years since I've purchased physical media.

DVD still has and uses region coding the same as ever. Blu-Ray cut the regions down to just 3 geographic ones and lots of Blu-Ray releases don't use the coding or code for 2 of the 3 regions at once.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Can I just stop you just for a moment, using my vast power of being in a country were anti-piracy groups can't request IP info anymore thanks to a court decision declaring it a privacy violation.

I went and had a quick look at the Top 100 PC games on one of the many Pirate Bay Proxies.

The single most seeded game there, the number one, was the Sims 4 and not even a recent one, from 2018.

Followed by Minecraft and of all the games, Driver San Francisco (2016)? The gently caress? I think I have that one, got in a Steam sale.

Whenever the publisher talk about piracy, they are full of poo poo, completely full.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Scaramouche posted:

I honestly didn't care enough to respond, I just assumed that EA treated their workers as badly or worse than their customers as they are, after all, a for-profit organisation. I am admittedly horribly biased, but before anyone rolls their eyes I remind you that wars have been fought over the "right" to literally own human beings. There is no such thing as an ethical nadir in the quest for power and money.

RagnarokZ posted:

Can I just stop you just for a moment, using my vast power of being in a country were anti-piracy groups can't request IP info anymore thanks to a court decision declaring it a privacy violation.

Where is this place and can I marry you for a green card?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fishmech posted:

DVD still has and uses region coding the same as ever. Blu-Ray cut the regions down to just 3 geographic ones and lots of Blu-Ray releases don't use the coding or code for 2 of the 3 regions at once.

People who still buy DVDs deserve to be whacked in the rear end with a paddle unless they have 14" or smaller TVs or awful vision. Anyway, DVD had (has, sigh) 8 possible regions, six of which are used for groups of countries. Standard Blu-ray has 3 regions, but not all studios region-code their disks. Additionally, the US and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region. Blu-ray 4K doesn't have any provisions for region codes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I still buy DVDs. I don't need high def for projecting movies onto the side of a camper or a bed sheet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

People who still buy DVDs deserve to be whacked in the rear end with a paddle unless they have 14" or smaller TVs or awful vision.

You can take my VCR from my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

I have one for NTSC and one for PAL.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually still have an enormous (32'', I think) CRT television with a built-in VCR and DVD player as I still have a few cassettes and discs that are irreplaceable. It's so bulky, but a lot of my older game systems look better on it as well, so I keep it around. It actually has USB support for PC media files, but it supports such a limited array of dated file formats that I never use it for that.

Sundae posted:

You can take my VCR from my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

I have one for NTSC and one for PAL.

Good on you. Having lived years and years on both sides of the pond, I used to do the same thing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

People who still buy DVDs deserve to be whacked in the rear end with a paddle unless they have 14" or smaller TVs or awful vision. Anyway, DVD had (has, sigh) 8 possible regions, six of which are used for groups of countries. Standard Blu-ray has 3 regions, but not all studios region-code their disks. Additionally, the US and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region. Blu-ray 4K doesn't have any provisions for region codes.

I’m about to buy 13 reasons why On dvd because I want the unedited version, and not the bullshit changes they made because people are bad at understanding mental health 😤

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That show isn't great about understanding mental health and it romanticizes suicide op

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Alright, DVDs are the greatest. I remember the death threats I got when in a thread about obsolete tech products I mentioned fax machines.

And yes, I know there are collectors and different editions, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy ordinary movies on DVD instead of UHD Blu-ray for the same edition.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Didn't it lead to a measurable increase in teen suicides? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/health/13-reasons-why-teen-suicide.html

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I wasn't going to dignify it with a response because it's so provably dumb to stan for EA.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Correlation/causation and all that. It was also right around when trump was elected so. And no, it didn’t romanticize suicide if you looked at the text of the show.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Alright, DVDs are the greatest. I remember the death threats I got when in a thread about obsolete tech products I mentioned fax machines.

And yes, I know there are collectors and different editions, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy ordinary movies on DVD instead of UHD Blu-ray for the same edition.

With UHD Bluray being pretty much dead, at least that's not a choice people will have to make all that often.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Lambert posted:

With UHD Bluray being pretty much dead, at least that's not a choice people will have to make all that often.

I don't know if niche and dead are the same thing. Major movies keep coming out on 4K Blu-ray. The additional costs to master a 4K version are probably minimal, given that for newer movies the source material is already often in 4K or higher. Also, not everybody in the world has reliable internet connections. Lastly, it's also not like the quality of 4K streaming is always as good as 4K from a disc.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

JustJeff88 posted:

I honestly didn't care enough to respond, I just assumed that EA treated their workers as badly or worse than their customers as they are, after all, a for-profit organisation. I am admittedly horribly biased, but before anyone rolls their eyes I remind you that wars have been fought over the "right" to literally own human beings. There is no such thing as an ethical nadir in the quest for power and money.

Where is this place and can I marry you for a green card?

It would be Denmark, now the Police can obviously still get that kind of information, it just that random "anti-piracy" groups can't use a lawyer to get it, and the Police need a warrant all the usual stuff.

And even then, almost all IPs are ever-changing so really, the Police concentrate on the source, not the users.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lambert posted:

UHD Bluray is niche but I wouldn't call it dead. It's the best quality way to view a movie at home, much like Laserdisc was, and despite it being known as a failure Laserdisc lasted 20ish years until something came along that bested it in every category (DVD).

Once everyone has a gigabit connection to their home UHD Bluray will have little reason to exist, that'll be a while though.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

ryonguy posted:

lmfao multiple developers have shown that pirated copies outnumber legit ones on the reg but yeah :filez: are harmless

jfc this is like reading how people on 4chan think copyright works

I knew there were FBI agents posting on shts but I never knew you were so dedicated. :magical:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Did everyone at EA forget about EA spouse

Probably!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re gonna get all uppity about piracy I’d love to hear your thoughts on digital refunds.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Malcolm XML posted:

Did everyone at EA forget about EA spouse

Probably!

Possibly still relevant, but I dunno how well a LiveJournal post can accurately represent a company fifteen years later.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Here’s a hint: don’t ever side with corporations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I buy DVDs because I want to encourage Shout Factory to keep releasing Sentai on DVD and I want official translations

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Here’s a hint: don’t ever side with corporations.

It probably still sucks at EA. Microtransactions anyone?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It probably still sucks at EA. Microtransactions anyone?

A company that's lovely to its customers is most definitely going to be even more lovely to its employees.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
EA is also pretty notorious for laying off hundreds of employees a year and dismantling newly acquired studios. So what good is a good job when you have that axe constantly overhead?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fishmech posted:

EA is also pretty notorious for laying off hundreds of employees a year and dismantling newly acquired studios. So what good is a good job when you have that axe constantly overhead?

Don't most game companies operate by just mass-hiring devs when there is a project and then letting them all go (except for core members) when they no longer need the capacity? Almost no game company values institutional knowledge/experience if they have to pay more for it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Game company employees are like pre unionized Hollywood employees. They get hosed at very opportunity except the programmer types think theyre too good to unionize

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Malcolm XML posted:

Game company employees are like pre unionized Hollywood employees. They get hosed at very opportunity except the programmer types think theyre too good to unionize

They are prime targets for anti union rhetoric". If you join the union and they make a lovely game your hosed dude!"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I've pointed this out in another thread, but tech employees and game devs are actually interested in unionization. Currently, relatively high salaries make this more difficult, but many of us are actively "automating ourselves out of a job" and know we're just commodities.

https://www.gameworkersunite.org/
https://techworkerscoalition.org/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Don't most game companies operate by just mass-hiring devs when there is a project and then letting them all go (except for core members) when they no longer need the capacity? Almost no game company values institutional knowledge/experience if they have to pay more for it.

And most tend to pay for it in the long run given how many examples there are of a new company forming out of all the laid off devs to make their own thinly veiled sequel to a beloved IP, see Bloodstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Invalid Validation posted:

If you’re gonna get all uppity about piracy I’d love to hear your thoughts on digital refunds.

It's been a standard in the retail sector for decades, so bohoo video game people, you have to play with the same rules as everyone else, how sad.