Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh speaking of

Any mod that just substitutes a HBK-4h for the starting Blackjack? Or would that just be a save editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Just edit the ancestral mecj in the json or advanced difficulty settings has a dropdown of starter mech for campaign

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Nice, thanks

I just enjoy the blackjack due to old MWO associations but I never manage to get one until way, way way late-game.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Doing some more AI vs AI testing matches and took a few screens between taking notes.

Anyone got any good screens lately?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Doing some more AI vs AI testing matches and took a few screens between taking notes.

Anyone got any good screens lately?

You can do AI v AI mode?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Technowolf posted:

You can do AI v AI mode?

Yes, if you enable debug mode and enable "player one is AI controlled"

In the data/debug folder there is a file called "settings.json" and add these:

"testToolsEnabled": true,
"playerOneIsAIControlled": true,

First one is to enable debug mode, useful for other things, second one enables AI take over of the player. This only works in skirmish mode or PvP, in a "live" contract they have no instructions and just brace endlessly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Goddamit Dekker.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Goddamit Dekker.

"Spectre" Doing a MW4:Mercs based run?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Just come back to this and i can't even get the game to load. It crashes on startup. I'm using steam but I've just changed to a new CPU. Reckon that could be the issue?.. Has anyone else had issues recently?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

Goddamit Dekker.

Getting headcapped and murdered in a nearly pristine 'Hawk? That's so Dekker. :cripes:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just come back to this and i can't even get the game to load. It crashes on startup. I'm using steam but I've just changed to a new CPU. Reckon that could be the issue?.. Has anyone else had issues recently?

Validate files, update mods, do a full clean re-install if those fail.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-guide-uninstall-battletech-cleanly.1107452/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Getting headcapped and murdered in a nearly pristine 'Hawk? That's so Dekker. :cripes:

Yup. He got given Bulwark, he got the tankiest 55 tonner, he still eats a headcap punch from a Dragon and goes down. This is an ironman campaign, he ain't coming back.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

No mods, already revalidated and a fresh install. Was the first thing I did.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

No mods, already revalidated and a fresh install. Was the first thing I did.

Ouch, try posting your bug and PC specs on the PDX BT Bug forum, the guys there are better with "fails to launch" related bugs than I am.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Weirdly enough it just booted but i was on the phone so shut it down..

Now I'm trying to launch again its dead. :laffo:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got an achievement when I finished the campaign because Dekker managed to live to the end.

Too bad about Medusa though.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haha, that's an achievement? Nice.

My only KIA in my first campaign was Dekker getting headcapped by a Victor's AC20.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bubbacub posted:

Haha, that's an achievement? Nice.

My only KIA in my first campaign was Dekker getting headcapped by a Victor's AC20.

I'll admit that I'm a save scumming piece if poo poo, so he probably survived that long because of that or I lucked out into him just getting his arms and legs broken and he'd spend months in sick bay.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When should I be using Light Mechs beyond the very early campaign?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SirPhoebos posted:

any of the missions where you gotta plant an artillery beacon, but tbh fast 55-tonners are prolly better there

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

SirPhoebos posted:

Only time I've been using lights in my career run after getting a full medium lance has been for the mission type that requires standing on three beacons to mark artillery targets or whatever. Those can be drat near impossible to make it to the further beacons and then to the evac point before either timer runs out without fast mechs. I hate that the evac before reinforcements arrive timer is a hard fail condition. Let me just fight my way out.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The board game Battletech Clan Invasion Kickstarter is live and already funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Ditch everything that isn't a Raven or Firestarter, keep those 2 on standby for beacons or weight-restricted flashpoints.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Everything but the slow assaults (and Urbanmech lol) are fast enough for target acquisition missions if you don't dawdle.

Weight restriction flashpoints all allow up to 50T per I think, so there aren't many problems in the game you can't solve with 4 or more of Hunchback/Centurion/Enforcer.

The Raven can be worthwhile for cheesing missions.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wait what the gently caress is a Gallant Urban Assault Vehicle and why is it attacking me with +++ weapons

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DrPop posted:

The board game Battletech Clan Invasion Kickstarter is live and already funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion

What is the best place to start in that? Get the base set and let 'er rip?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SirPhoebos posted:

Never. Hang onto a lance of 50 ton mechs to run weight-restricted flashpoints with and get rid of your Light Mechs.

On the speed front:

Fastest Light: Locust/Spider (210), then Jenner (190). The other 35s: Firestarter (165), Raven (140), Panther (120).

Fastest Medium: Cicada CDA-2A (210), then Cicada CDA-3C (190). All the 50 tonners are 120 (except Trebuchet 140) and all the 55 tonners are 140.

Fastest Heavy: Quickdraw or Dragon (140), then everyone else is on 120.

Fastest Assault: Banshee, Battlemaster, Victor, and Zeus are all 120. Then everyone else is on 95.

So unless your choices are literally (a) Jenner or (b) slow assault, it's pretty much a wash. Unless you want to try taking out a Locust or a Spider in which case its your (Dekker's) funeral.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/edit#gid=1844655663

ulmont fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 17, 2019

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

DrPop posted:

I was literally just telling my friends I was swearing off kickstarter this morning, and then you post this and I am Bloodnamed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sinburger posted:

I was literally just telling my friends I was swearing off kickstarter this morning, and then you post this and I am Bloodnamed.

Same.

It's more than a touch hard to resist the next step up too.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Taerkar posted:

Same.

It's more than a touch hard to resist the next step up too.

It's literally double the price, so a bit easier to resist.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just beat the campaign it was entertaining but a little long (40-50 hours but I dunno how much of that it was idle probably at least 10)...

Is there anything new in career mode or is it just campaign without the narrative?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Just beat the campaign it was entertaining but a little long (40-50 hours but I dunno how much of that it was idle probably at least 10)...

Is there anything new in career mode or is it just campaign without the narrative?
In campaign mode there's no narrative, you and your mercs are sellswords with mechs. Flashpoints offer more opportunities to scoop up lostech. If you finished the campaign you can transition into career mode if you want to keep your lostech mechs.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 18, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That's Career mode, not Campaign.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

But he's right, the extra content is the flashpoints. You can either keep playing post campaign and storm them with an endgame lance or go to career mode and have them appear as you are working your way up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sinburger posted:

It's literally double the price, so a bit easier to resist.

It is, but some of the additional mech packs they've listed are really interesting.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is the difficulty of flashpoints based on the skull rating of the planet they show up at? Wondering how to gauge the difficulty of em.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DrPop posted:

So, what's this all about and why should I back it?

Edit: I've never played a Minis-based wargame. I didn't even know there was a Battletech game other than the PC version. (Other than some other Battletech-like mech games like Mechwarrior, etc)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 18, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eschatos posted:

Is the difficulty of flashpoints based on the skull rating of the planet they show up at? Wondering how to gauge the difficulty of em.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sean10mm posted:

Everything but the slow assaults (and Urbanmech lol) are fast enough for target acquisition missions if you don't dawdle.

Weight restriction flashpoints all allow up to 50T per I think, so there aren't many problems in the game you can't solve with 4 or more of Hunchback/Centurion/Enforcer.

The Raven can be worthwhile for cheesing missions.

Weight restricted flashpoints are 55T per mech and maximum drop weight 200T. Which I believe comes to exactly three Shadybirds and a Firestarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

FPs have a fixed difficulty separate from the planet they appear on. The weight restriction can be two types, individual unit tonnage or Lance total tonnage and a combination of both is possible, but I don't think that is used. Some FPs have a minimum tonnage, but most that have a restriction have a maximum. The most common restriction is "Light units" which means 50t or less individual units.