Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just wanted to give my +1 for Outer Wilds, probably one of the best adventure games I've ever played. Just very imaginative and charming in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I definitely did not realize how far the aggro range on a Sea Dragon Leviathan was.

There was definitely a frantic fleeing in my Prawn while trying to find where the drat entrance to the facility was, using jump jets to quickly leap over the charging leviathan and over the top of the structure (hoping it would bump the structure and take time getting over it), and then scrabbling into the front door.

Earlier I had run into a Sea Dragon Leviathan that managed to sneak up on me and wow, was that an experience. I thought the Reaper leviathan was bad enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HelloSailorSign posted:

I definitely did not realize how far the aggro range on a Sea Dragon Leviathan was.

There was definitely a frantic fleeing in my Prawn while trying to find where the drat entrance to the facility was, using jump jets to quickly leap over the charging leviathan and over the top of the structure (hoping it would bump the structure and take time getting over it), and then scrabbling into the front door.

Earlier I had run into a Sea Dragon Leviathan that managed to sneak up on me and wow, was that an experience. I thought the Reaper leviathan was bad enough.

Ha! Yeah, Reapers don't shoot lava... :stare:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
My one death in my last run was thanks to the sea dragon hanging outside the lava castle who teleported me into its mouth from about 50 meters away.

One second I was far enough away that I could see it's entire body, stasis rifle in hand, the next, black screen, and I realized the game had considered that its whole 'swallow you whole' trick taking effect.

A bit annoying, but also my only death to a sea dragon in hundreds of hours of gameplay, so I guess it's okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's hilarious that sea dragons can freely clip in and out of the terrain, one of the LP's someone posted here had a guy stealthily going around in his cyclops and then HELLO SURPRISE sea dragon popped out of the wall right in his face, it was perfectly timed and basically a Clever Girl moment

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Invictus posted:

It's hilarious that sea dragons can freely clip in and out of the terrain, one of the LP's someone posted here had a guy stealthily going around in his cyclops and then HELLO SURPRISE sea dragon popped out of the wall right in his face, it was perfectly timed and basically a Clever Girl moment

Mine clipped into the base while I was drilling for cubes. That was a pretty 'uh what the actual gently caress is happening right now?' moment.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ha! Yeah, Reapers don't shoot lava... :stare:

When I Prawn ran into the forcefield door and turned around, fireballs were impacting the area.

I keep thinking about how I'm going to scan various things and I realize that I've not yet built a stasis rifle. But at least now I'm not turning green anymore!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

relevant

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/science/giant-squid-cephalopod-video.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Science

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Well, I'm no longer going through portals without my Prawn.

I leapt through one sans-Prawn (apparently the Seamoth starts getting crushed at the top, but not bottom, of the facility?) to suddenly find myself falling. And falling... 3000m, then 5000... I think I hit near 7000 when suddenly I got dropped into the Shallows (quite far from where I was initially), luckily only about 200m from my base. But... even though I was in the water, not only was my O2 level not decreasing, I could not swim. I ran along the sea bottom to see if getting into my base would reset things to no success. Well, there goes an hour!

Using the stasis rifle as a method to help catalog the bigger critters is rather nerve wracking. I've not yet got the courage to try it on a Sea Dragon.

Saying farewell to my little buddy I hatched was rather sad. :(

And here I thought Alterra would appreciate all the crap I shoved into the storage containers on my way back!

Having the launch platform suddenly tilt over and realize that one of the giant purple leviathans had inadvertently picked it up on its back and was pushing it along was interesting.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Well, I'm no longer going through portals without my Prawn.

I leapt through one sans-Prawn (apparently the Seamoth starts getting crushed at the top, but not bottom, of the facility?) to suddenly find myself falling. And falling... 3000m, then 5000... I think I hit near 7000 when suddenly I got dropped into the Shallows (quite far from where I was initially), luckily only about 200m from my base. But... even though I was in the water, not only was my O2 level not decreasing, I could not swim. I ran along the sea bottom to see if getting into my base would reset things to no success. Well, there goes an hour!

Using the stasis rifle as a method to help catalog the bigger critters is rather nerve wracking. I've not yet got the courage to try it on a Sea Dragon.

Saying farewell to my little buddy I hatched was rather sad. :(

And here I thought Alterra would appreciate all the crap I shoved into the storage containers on my way back!

Having the launch platform suddenly tilt over and realize that one of the giant purple leviathans had inadvertently picked it up on its back and was pushing it along was interesting.

Careful about using your prawn for safety in the shallows. Just yesterday, I somehow managed to, while walking around in mine, fall into a hole juuuuuust big enough to fit my prawn, but juuuuuust small enough for it to get stuck right near the surface so tightly that I couldn't even get out of my suit, and obviously couldn't get my suit of the hole, either. I finally had to use a console command to warp out, and even then, I got the same bug as you did, which changed to my being frozen in place and unable to move as I slowly drowned, too. Had to quit out and lose half an hour of progress, it was great.

Said hole is right next to the part in the eastern main shallows with the high reef area that almost reaches the surface, on the border with the central kelp forest.

(Obviously this isn't exactly a common peril, and the first time it ever happened in lots of tromping around the shallows in my prawn, but I figured I had to share, especially given I got the 'walking around underwater' bug too.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Be careful about building a Cyclops in the shallows, too. In fact, just pack up that vehicle bay and drag it out to the grassy plateaux.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Picked up the early access for below zero. Had fun exploring the map. I only played subnautica way long after it released so I never saw how it was before. The new one shows alot of promise.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is a new update out for Below Zero: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-arctic-living-update/?k=6

Also, the developers recently talked about changing the roadmap so that it is more focused, and they experience less crunch when trying to get all the features available for each milestone. Also they are planning for the full release of Below Zero to be in early 2020: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-roadmap-rebooted-release-timeline/

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Any new wildlife in this update or is it just equipment?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dyz posted:

Any new wildlife in this update or is it just equipment?

Just equipment it looks like, but we have gotten a lot of wildlife in last few updates.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I only played Subnautica after it was released, and i liked that experience. Is it too early to get into the new one?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Killstick posted:

I only played Subnautica after it was released, and i liked that experience. Is it too early to get into the new one?

Probably. I played a few months ago and quickly hit the limit of what was available. I didn't fully get into the first one until it was feature complete and just waiting on polish.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I went into this game knowing nothing about it and had an amazing time. I just finished up and I'm sad its over, there doesn't seem to be anything else like it on the market.

Highlights of my run:

- Losing my first Seamoth in a Reaper Leviathan attack, I had never seen one before and was near the Aurora

- Finding about 10 time capsules in the same strip in the Mushroom Forest, bizarre placement

- Finally getting all of the Cyclops parts and making my mobile base, it was so much fun

- Killing a Ghost Leviathan with the stasis rifle and a thermoblade

- Sea Dragon Leviathan spawning through the world geometry and attacking my Cyclops was scary as poo poo

- Being one Kyanite short at the end of the game and needing to go all the way back to the depths, ughhh

I loving loved Subnautica. The water/food stuff was never really a problem for me. I planned ahead and it often gave me an excuse to turn back and dump supplies and catch a breather. I loved the sense of isolation and the atmosphere in general, they did a great job. The breadcrumb trail story was solid and I appreciated that it wasn't just a survival game that would leave you hanging after you exhausted the basic gameplay loop.

I will probably go back into creative mode at some point and fart around with elaborate bases, it was just too tedious in survival to make anything ambitious. Looking forward to Below Zero!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Killstick posted:

Extremely early. I picked it up and played it some and then went back and played the first one. It was night in day in quality that just hasn't been put in to the early access because it is early access and they are testing things. If you want more exploring then there is some.

You also run the risk of spoiling the story for yourself before it releases also. Like things are in that arn't voiced or any of the new animations they are planning.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 22, 2019

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I'm currently playing it for the first time. Just built the cyclops and trying to find the deep sea alien base mentioned in the crashed alien base. Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a diamond crunch at the moment and can't even build the prawn's drill for resource gathering. I did feel pretty smart when I figured out you could build things inside the cyclops so it's now my main base.

Also completed the dagasi storyline. Man, those guys made some pretty crappy choices when it came to base locations. Of course, I built my main base near the Aurora next to the giant reaper leviathan. He used to come over and attack me but now we've come to sort of an understanding and he just chills outside my base :coolfish:

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
If you're hard up for diamonds, try searching the roof in the huge cavern with a giant fossilized skeleton in it. The one with a huge rib cage, not just a skull by itself. There are plenty of them in the tiny cave formations on the ceiling there.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i think subnautica below zero is starting to form up.
there is like 4 areas that have nothing in em. It definitely will be shorter than original subnautica. It has more depth in map but the map itself is way smaller with only 2 wrecks to explore currently( mining site and some truck wreck site ).
But im loving what is in there new monsters do feel pretty nice and the reaper replacement is somehow way scarier than the reaper. Hopefully they keep on adding more variety to biome animals.

but since its length is shorter i really dont know if its worth the asking price at the moment.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dark Off posted:

i think subnautica below zero is starting to form up.
there is like 4 areas that have nothing in em. It definitely will be shorter than original subnautica. It has more depth in map but the map itself is way smaller with only 2 wrecks to explore currently( mining site and some truck wreck site ).
But im loving what is in there new monsters do feel pretty nice and the reaper replacement is somehow way scarier than the reaper. Hopefully they keep on adding more variety to biome animals.

but since its length is shorter i really dont know if its worth the asking price at the moment.

I mean the original is probably worth twice its asking price so call it even if below zero is a little small.

Also I only played the initial release and have been holding off on more content, but it's pretty brilliant that they could take what is essentially the same game and give it a vastly different feel with the voice acting and story. Just the huge shift in tone is enough to make it feel very new.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean the original is probably worth twice its asking price so call it even if below zero is a little small.

LOL, nah, it's really not. It has been able to get away with it mostly because it's the only game of this sub-genre.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gently caress you. You did that on purpose.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

enraged_camel posted:

LOL, nah, it's really not. It has been able to get away with it mostly because it's the only game of this sub-genre.

:dadjoke:

I don't really mind that that they're making Below Zero into a smaller, more tightly focused story-driven game than Subnautica's "Here's the world and a checklist to complete the game, have fun." approach to story. I feel like I would more than likely completely burn out on the game if it was the same size as the original game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just want them to provide compelling gameplay reasons to build large bases.

In the original game, you could get by with minimalist bases, and most people didn't bother with big bases because gathering and hauling materials got tedious fast, and for the most part was not required for progression.

I mean I saw they added a jukebox. I have zero interest in "cosmetic" bullshit like that. But if the jukebox gives some sort of bonus to your stats (for example), then gently caress yeah I'll dive down to the deepest parts of the ocean to gather the materials for it, and build five of them.

A Subnautica with RPG elements that are tied to base-building would be loving incredible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

enraged_camel posted:

In the original game, you could get by with minimalist bases, and most people didn't bother with big bases because gathering and hauling materials got tedious fast, and for the most part was not required for progression.

I mean I saw they added a jukebox. I have zero interest in "cosmetic" bullshit like that. But if the jukebox gives some sort of bonus to your stats (for example), then gently caress yeah I'll dive down to the deepest parts of the ocean to gather the materials for it, and build five of them.

A Subnautica with RPG elements that are tied to base-building would be loving incredible.

I feel like that describes one of the survival games, but can't think which one.

Also I just made the connection that another survival game that feels like subnautica is miasmata. No underwater, no technology, no basebuilding, but it still has a similar sense of gameplay

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No RPG elements and no extra focus on base building please

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Andrast posted:

Luckily no one gets game dev advice from SA

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I didn't go to like 40% of the biomes in the first game because they are like crawling with reapers. I'm fine if they put less huge monsters that attack you but have more of a need to go to that area other than i need salt. I thought the lost river and lava zones were just fine with one huge leviathan in the area that generally ignores you.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 23, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Below Zero is an expansion, it was never intended to be as large as the original game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Oasx posted:

Below Zero is an expansion, it was never intended to be as large as the original game.

And people are salty because they're charging the same amount for it as they did the original game.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Dark Off posted:

Is it bigger? One of the few disappointments of subnautica was that the ghost leviathan was basically the largest creature out there and quickly goes from being a terror to merely an annoyance once you build the cyclops.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

the jukebox is the best addition since there is also jukebox truck module.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXx9YHPc05Y is one of 2 songs i have found so far.
makes exploring so much better. It doesnt need to give anykind of buffs.
I would hate RPG elements in subnautica.
What I DO want is more variety to creatures you encounter, since the game world is much smaller.

DropsySufferer posted:

Is it bigger? One of the few disappointments of subnautica was that the ghost leviathan was basically the largest creature out there and quickly goes from being a terror to merely an annoyance once you build the cyclops.

its smaller but its more terrifying.
There is also second bigger leviathan but i think its not in the game yet.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I would deliberately play risky with my cyclops around leviathans so I could listen to the red alert music when it starts catching on fire, while cruising around the map.

You know, because you couldn't hear it any other way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're bored definitely sink a cyclops and check it out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Andrast posted:

bad opinions

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean the original is probably worth twice its asking price

if it wasn't the buggiest game experience i have ever had in nearly 30 years of gaming, i might agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I'd love to see all the below zero equipment and base parts added/modded into the original. I'm guessing that's a pipe dream though.