Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phy posted:

I think this is where Rufus is coming from with the Marvel-face stuff - particularly the pointy teeth:

To me it looks like a synthesis of the Marvel and two of the TFTM faces (yes, I know what I'm about); It's got Marvel's pointy teeth, the coloration and eye shape of the face he had in most of his TFTM scenes, and the unforked goatee from the end of his transformation sequence (but not the reveal of his head DURING the transformation sequence! That beard is forked!)

And once again this is a case of wealth generating wealth. Unless it turns out to be a massive dud, even at 5 Unicrons per person, you're pretty much going to be able to buy some number larger than one, resell all but one of them half a year later, and keep the last one for essentially free or even turn a profit. But you've got to be able to soak that initial $1200-$3000 hit. I know I can't.

If I gets funded how long before third party makers start selling the goatee add-on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
one interesting thing is that they do show a more normal closed mouth Unicron face on the CAD models and the prototype

I wonder if there's going to be a face swap feature since closed mouthed Unicron has a very different feel than needle teeth

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Only thing I can say bad about the pictures of Unicron is that's a lot of yellow. I keep staring at the gif of Unicron's tooth sphincter.

Honestly the most impressive parts about Unicron I don't think can be fully captured in toy form. Orson Welles's booming voice as he emits an unholy light on Megatron, the mournful industrial music, the crazy abstract glowing techno-innards, the existential horror of a bigger planet rolling up on your planet to just eat it, including digesting some of your favorite characters. When he transformed to attack Cybertron, he actually felt a lot less scary.

I wonder if Unicron will come plastered out of the box.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched TFTM and Welles as Unicron just sounded bored. The magic never really landed for me. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I watched TFTM and Welles as Unicron just sounded bored. The magic never really landed for me. :(

:getout:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Let's be super real here

Orson Welles was absolutely not bringing his A Game

okay maybe he was but his A Game at that point was a C + compared to his prime

But that kind of doesn't matter because, for me at least, that just makes him work even better. He's a giant loving super planet Transformer that is pure chaos and destruction, great enough that everyone has to band against him. He SHOULD be bored out of his skull dealing with these bozos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAsXnWarYT0 The fact that he puts effort into this line shows that he wasn't jsut phoning it in. Regardless what he thought of the work, which wasn't as bad as people think, he was playing a very specific character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like to think he was loving plastered during recording.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nodosaur posted:

He apparently didn't even remember recording the lines, and it was one of the last things he did. Pretty sure he didn't give a gently caress.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not saying he phoned it in. I'm saying I just never felt anything special or awe inspiring in the performance.

John Noble will always be "my" Unicron voice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

He apparently didn't even remember recording the lines, and it was one of the last things he did. Pretty sure he didn't give a gently caress.

That's probably got less to do with how much he cared and more to do with his general health at the time.

Which uh, wasn't great

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

no, he definitely didn't care. Before the movie came out he talked about how he was in a movie about "toys murdering each other" and how he didn't care for the material/was only doing it for the money.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, the bored/distant/barely paying attention performance works in the favour of the giant planet-sized being that doesn't care about anything other than its own hunger and the macguffin that could kill him.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
If you don't like Unicron you are loving dumb

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
and we're in July!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

dude, maybe you should put that behind a spoiler. It's kind of epilepsy-type flashy and just seeing it for a few seconds made my head hurt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Orson Welles can not be contained by spoilers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm asking you so no one gets hurt unexpectedly by viewing it unawares, but okay.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Oh, hey, got a shot from the back.

Waiting to see who rages about it but it looks pretty compact to me.

https://twitter.com/BladeGnome/status/1151551259402539009?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's some idiots on FB raging because they have two of them there so that clearly means they are ready to go into production and the $575 is a scam.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't understand why people get upset when figures like this and Masterpiece ones have to go to such lengths in order to be accurate enough. They want a round planet mode with none of the concessions like Armada Unicron made and a show accurate robot mode - well, this is what you have to do to get things like that. Floro Dery didn't have reality in mind when he did these characters in mind, and they can't exactly rewrite the laws of physics to make them feasible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also we don't know if this is the final design or if it detaches or what

ALSO also, this means that Unicron has some sick rear end side horns that you can splay out to make him even more threatening

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That just reminds me of Armada Unicron and Prime Unicron's enormous shoulder horns, which were wonderful additions to his design in general. Made him look tons more threatening and was a good alternative to how those pincers in planet mode become so much smaller when they become his head horns in the cartoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa, are you seriously saying the Armada designs is better than the original?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I also mentioned Prime, man. Are you not allowed to think certain parts of a character's design work better than what the original did? The shoulder horns add to how imposing and demonic he looks. That's all I'm saying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I also mentioned Prime, man. Are you not allowed to think certain parts of a character's design work better than what the original did? The shoulder horns add to how imposing and demonic he looks. That's all I'm saying.

Prime was a bunch of rocks stuck on a robot body!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh? He made himself out of rock, but he was a bunch of rocks carved into the shape of a robot. Flashbacks in the show showed his true form looking identical to his avatars, just not without the rocky texture.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Even BW Neo's unused design was gonna have the shoulder horns.

I think they're neat looking. I don't see what the problem is with anything I said.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, are you seriously saying the Armada designs is better than the original?

Eeeeeeeeeeh. The sad thing is I was going to take Nod's side on this but then I looked back at Armada Unicron and I forgot how doofy he looks in full. His arms are massively out of proportion in a cartoonish way and he has all of the super kibble pieces that his toy had which do not compliment his design at all.

I do agree that elements worked better, the shoulder spikes are never a bad touch, but that's something that Prime Unicron perfected.

The problem with Prime Unicron is that we never actually SEE the guy- we just see lesser versions and facsimiles and never get to see him in his proper form. Because the lesser avatars that he has running around have a problem of just looking too drab and samey color wise and they don't feel big enough for Unicron. The way they blend Armada and Original Unicron design elements is really good though.

At this point I think the best over all least compromised design is still the original, when it's on model anyways. It's great without being too excessive and it has a ton of character and really visually stands out compared to Prime's version.

And it's not the last IDW Unicron design which was a horrifically over designed piece of mess that should have never made it to the page

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

edit - nevermind.

so SDCC revealed Astrotrain has a coal tender that turns into a rocket launching platform. That's pretty neat.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This was the original G1 Unicron.

Honestly not as bad as it could be, but definitely really goofy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

I think this is where Rufus is coming from with the Marvel-face stuff - particularly the pointy teeth:

To me it looks like a synthesis of the Marvel and two of the TFTM faces (yes, I know what I'm about); It's got Marvel's pointy teeth, the coloration and eye shape of the face he had in most of his TFTM scenes, and the unforked goatee from the end of his transformation sequence (but not the reveal of his head DURING the transformation sequence! That beard is forked!)

And once again this is a case of wealth generating wealth. Unless it turns out to be a massive dud, even at 5 Unicrons per person, you're pretty much going to be able to buy some number larger than one, resell all but one of them half a year later, and keep the last one for essentially free or even turn a profit. But you've got to be able to soak that initial $1200-$3000 hit. I know I can't.

He has pointy teeth in the cartoon, too.

In the movie they mostly draw him without teeth the few times he opens his mouth, probably because they're either long shots or he's breathing fire.

As for buying multiples, I could do that but I don't think I want to deal with the hassle of shipping a 20 pound planet to anyone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait a sec

Hey Nod, look, he DOES have the shoulder spikes. I guess the backpack is either in flux right now or super variable with how you can arrange it. He has the spikes there in that close up on his face, but not in other shots of him.

Woo prototypes!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

no, he definitely didn't care. Before the movie came out he talked about how he was in a movie about "toys murdering each other" and how he didn't care for the material/was only doing it for the money.

He died literally days after the voice recording. The interview you're talking about was the same week as the recording. His death was so close to the recording session that Michael Bell jokingly started a rumor that voice director Wally Burr, who was famous among the voice actors for long and grueling recording sessions, had killed Welles with one of his demanding sessions.

Burkion posted:

Wait a sec

Hey Nod, look, he DOES have the shoulder spikes. I guess the backpack is either in flux right now or super variable with how you can arrange it. He has the spikes there in that close up on his face, but not in other shots of him.

Woo prototypes!

The planet mode mandibles can be rotated down to hide them or up to use as shoulder spikes, at least on the prototype.

Also note that the bullet points on the Pulse page say "grins malevolently with his movable teeth" so the teeth may be able to be hidden.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 17, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m. Not sure how what you said contradicts what I said. Isn’t that still before the movie came out?

And Michael Bell sounds like kind of a dick. I remember an account of him getting publicly angry at a con or something over how he didn’t get cast as Prowl in Animated.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

I’m. Not sure how what you said contradicts what I said. Isn’t that still before the movie came out?

Yeah, almost a year before, and he brought it up himself in the interview. It contradicts you because his lack of energy is more attributable to being days away from death rather than "bored." Another contradiction would be Welles' notes on the script, in which he suggested line changes and compared Unicron to King Lear as a performance guide. That's more investment than most projects were getting from him at the time.

quote:

And Michael Bell sounds like kind of a dick. I remember an account of him getting publicly angry at a con or something over how he didn’t get cast as Prowl in Animated.

I've met him twice in non-professional settings and he was fine, although part of that may be because I said I also knew him from his work on sitcoms in the '70s, which he seemed to appreciate. Everyone I know who has actually worked with him (and I mean everyone) says he's a nightmare and never want to work with him again if they can help it. The story about Welles I heard from Burr himself at a Q&A because Bell (who was on the Q&A panel) said Burr killed Welles, and Burr (who was not on the Q&A but was in the audience) booms "THAT'S NOT TRUE!" from the back and storms up and tells the story his own way in front of a full theater with no microphone at 92 years old. He said that it took almost 20 years for people to stop asking if he was the one who killed Orson Welles. Bell cackled through the whole thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. I wasn’t aware of that part and what part I was gave me a very different impression. My apologies.

He did very well for the situation he was in, then.

Anyway, wow. That sounds like... a lot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love it if the teeth were variable. drat I wish I could afford this thing.

The backpack being able to allow the mandibles to go as you like is a fantastic design choice as well.

And yeah people are complicated. They can be totally pleasant, but that doesn't mean you'd want to work with them on anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SlothfulCobra posted:

This was the original G1 Unicron.

Honestly not as bad as it could be, but definitely really goofy.

A Dr Robonik/Death Egg cross over with this figure would be so perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Since GI Joe is tangentially related to Transformers, or is at least in the same universe a bunch, you should listen to this Cold Slither mockumentary my friend made.

http://joeonjoe.com/joj-theater-presents-cold-slither-behind-the-rock