Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's especially weird because one of the things that made Fallout into Fallout was the fact that you could complete 1 and 2 without ever dealing a single point of damage to anything. You had all the tools to talk, sneak, and puzzle your way through the games. I think in 2 you can't get out without killing Horrigan but that's it, really. Otherwise you could run away from or avoid every fight. Or you could just decide "gently caress literally everything that isn't me" and kill everything. There was really no such thing as an "essential" character.

Maybe Morrowind got patched later but speaking as someone who had it before internet access and patches Morrowind would randomly tell me I had ruined the main quest forever because no one was essential. So I killed this hobo in a shack in Balmora and would get the message or some lady in the mages guild basement etc.

But still I feel like pacifist in Fallout 4 would not even be that difficult to implement. We already got sneaking and charisma checks. There's robots and turrets all over the place for someone who wants to hack their way to combat victory.

Bioware does token pacifist content all the time. Instead of killing a person you make some deal with them and they return to their planet and you go back and just say you killed them and all NPCs act like you did kill them with barely any extra effort required at all.

I don't want to give obsidian too much credit because their fans are pretty insufferable but I feel like if Fallout 4 had been made in the New Vegas spirit then you could probably have saved Nick through a combination of sneaking, charisma checks and bribery. Done some thing where they put the Kellog dream sequence before the fight and you then either kill him for the implant that offers the final dream scene or spare and forgive him and he tells the truth about the institute before leaving the commonwealth forever.

What other forced killings do we have? The raiders outside the museum of freedom, just have the deathclaw show up on a timer and leave after killing the raiders if you don't jump down. The game already has that sequence with the courser where you use the code to disable him (make a luck/charisma/intelligence check to guess it)

The game has like 98% built in pacifist support already, it's like it was just skipped in the last minute. I'd even say they should add a pacifist XP bonus to a quest for not killing anyone during accomplishing it. Since so much XP in this game is based on sheer killing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That aspect of Postal 2 was, if memory serves, a deliberate response to the criticisms of the original Postal. The game actively tries to piss you off and get you to start shooting but you can just go about your business without hurting anybody

This is cute in retrospect when you consider how murder crazy other mainstream games are.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

or pissing on anything.

You might have to piss on yourself to get out of the napalm factory alive :v:

Edit: Because I like playing with fire I just had to go check the RWS twitter. Haven't been active in their community for something like 13 years. Chud city, I should have expected as much.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Katt posted:

Maybe Morrowind got patched later but speaking as someone who had it before internet access and patches Morrowind would randomly tell me I had ruined the main quest forever because no one was essential. So I killed this hobo in a shack in Balmora and would get the message or some lady in the mages guild basement etc.

It does that but there's actually a secret "back path" through the game. The game actively tries to steer you away from it and most certainly does not advertise that it exists but it's there. You can seriously kill literally everybody in the game other than Yagrum Bagarn, get him to do his thing, then kill him too.

Katt posted:

But still I feel like pacifist in Fallout 4 would not even be that difficult to implement. We already got sneaking and charisma checks. There's robots and turrets all over the place for someone who wants to hack their way to combat victory.

Bioware does token pacifist content all the time. Instead of killing a person you make some deal with them and they return to their planet and you go back and just say you killed them and all NPCs act like you did kill them with barely any extra effort required at all.

I don't want to give obsidian too much credit because their fans are pretty insufferable but I feel like if Fallout 4 had been made in the New Vegas spirit then you could probably have saved Nick through a combination of sneaking, charisma checks and bribery. Done some thing where they put the Kellog dream sequence before the fight and you then either kill him for the implant that offers the final dream scene or spare and forgive him and he tells the truth about the institute before leaving the commonwealth forever.

What other forced killings do we have? The raiders outside the museum of freedom, just have the deathclaw show up on a timer and leave after killing the raiders if you don't jump down. The game already has that sequence with the courser where you use the code to disable him (make a luck/charisma/intelligence check to guess it)

The game has like 98% built in pacifist support already, it's like it was just skipped in the last minute. I'd even say they should add a pacifist XP bonus to a quest for not killing anyone during accomplishing it. Since so much XP in this game is based on sheer killing.

You could even put in ways to get around those forced killings. Like for the raiders in front of the museum you could do something like if you have a big, fancy weapon be all like "uh you guys have pipe rifles, I have a loving mini gun. You seriously want to mess with me?" And yeah, it shouldn't be all that difficult to put in pacifist options into the games but instead it's just nonstop violence, all the time. I get why they did "zero weight, can't be dropped" for unique quest items but essential characters feel more like a crutch than anything. Instead of putting that in then why not just like, decide what happens if you kill the person? If it's too easy to kill really important characters that's indicative of a flaw in the game more than anything. It's also kind of annoying if you do decide to do a "kill everyone and everything" run.

Part of the fun of having multiple paths through a game is following each of the various paths. After doing a normal run and a pacifist run through Fallout 2 I did the "kill absolutely everything" run. To keep his tribe safe a young man named Nathanial, descendant of the Vault Dweller, decided that everything other than the tribe must not survive. The outside world seemed hostile toward tribals. They considered them weak and backwards. He would show them how strong a tribal could be by never touching a weapon.

The fact that you can beat Fallout 2 by just running out into the world and punching everything to death if you really felt like it I think speaks of good design; you are never forced to pick a particular path through the game. You can be good, you can be evil, you can be peaceful, you can be violent. You can do all the sidequests or you can be like "gently caress it, I don't have time for this poo poo." It is 100% up to the player how to interact with the game world.

The fact that you could just walk up to the Master and, if you had done the right poo poo along the way, convince him that his plan was dumb and he was a big dummy was one of the things that made the first Fallout get attention in the first place.

Katt posted:

This is cute in retrospect when you consider how murder crazy other mainstream games are.

I still remember the first Postal marketing campaign and how it billed itself as being basically the most violent game ever made. Whether or not that was true it did color public perception of it. Violent video games weren't exactly new so it was genuinely weird that they laser focused on that one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It does that but there's actually a secret "back path" through the game. The game actively tries to steer you away from it and most certainly does not advertise that it exists but it's there. You can seriously kill literally everybody in the game other than Yagrum Bagarn, get him to do his thing, then kill him too.

Theres actually two shortcuts. One is killing vivec and taking wraithguard to yagrum. The other is if you get 50+ reputation and are level 21+ (ie, ignore the main quest) you get told Vivec wants to talk to you and he basically gives you wraithguard and sends you to kill Dagoth Ur. I think its the point right after rescuing Mehra Milo, so you still have to do some of it, but not most.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Don't get me started on all the misc crap I can't drop. They could at least have made a keyring for all the keys, passwords, keycards etc that never need to be manually referenced. Along with maybe making it possible to drop breadcrumb scavenger notes after you read them.

If I recall the silver shroud costume had weight and could not be dropped so if you looted it you got stuck with it until you finished the chain. And if you planned to finish it by saving Kent then you had some mighty skilling to do.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MariusLecter posted:

That you can see any of the things in this thread and think this way says a lot.
I mean, I am always capable of envisioning the good and kind thing even when there is zero chance of its implementation.

Related, the Scorched are attacking Morgantown Airport; gather your allies and fend them off!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dang I never knew that, but that's pretty cool.

Video game gives you direct system message saying you've severed the threads of fate and should stop, and you can just smile Linda Hamilton-ishly and go "no fate but what you make, bitch."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Trip report on my luck vats build.

While having banked crits is awesome. Banking crits kind of sucks. Eventually I found myself using VATs when there was no point to it, just to bank up crits to use in case I needed them. As opposed to using vats only when I felt like it.

I would find 3 rad roaches and then vats kill 2. Let my AP charge up a bit and then vats kill the third etc.

I will never not find it funny that for the third game in a row. The "sniper" perk is a vats perk. Even though VATs is the exact opposite of sniping in all 3 games.

To add insult to injury the sniper perk took the terrible Skyrim marksman perk of "has a chance to make opponents fall down" which even in Skyrim only served to have patrolling guards you sniped in the head, fall down behind cover for a while so they could emerge later on, thoroughly alive and alarmed.

All this without having the patently awesome marksman perk that makes the game go into slow motion when you aim. Which would have been a great second and third rank for the sniper perk.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 17, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You don't even need wraithguard to beat morrowind, just some way to tank the damage while wielding sunder and keening.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

Lighting: Replaced a lightbulb above one of the bathroom stalls in Watoga High School.

How many devs did that take? What other bugfix did we lose out on because of it?

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

Vinylshadow posted:

How many devs did that take? What other bugfix did we lose out on because of it?

They deleted several users Power Armor and several mutations.

They also re-introduced several bugs that were solved in previously builds.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You stick your right foot out, try to put your left out at the same time in the opposite direction, fall on your rear end, have trouble getting up while rotating on the floor several times, eventually pick yourself up and get $60 to do the exact same thing again and again. That's the Howard Shuffle.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RedRaven posted:

They deleted several users Power Armor and several mutations.

They also re-introduced several bugs that were solved in previously builds.

good poo poo right there

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They introduced a bug where legendary enemies weren't dropping legendary items.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can someone give me a brief description of what fallout 76 even is.

Is it an MMO or more like instance cooperative play like borderlands? Do you build stuff together like minecraft?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Katt posted:

Is it an MMO or more like instance cooperative play like borderlands? Do you build stuff together like minecraft?

Servers have up to 20? people on them. You can leave and join another random server whenever you want. You can only build stuff on whatever plot of land you claim with your C.A.M.P. and workshops that are scattered around the map. The workshops give you certain resources if you claim them, at the expensive of another player being able to claim them from you and also you need to go back periodically to kill enemies attacking it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Katt posted:

Have you played Fallout 4? Now add lag, take away a settlement's ability to automatically generate resources while you're gone except for the workshops you either have to babysit or risk randos robbing you, and add in players you don't really have a reason to interact with except maybe in the Survival Mode where you can actually kill them. Also if you gently caress with the workshop stuff pray you don't DC, or crash, or have to restart because something got borked, because if you do and can't rejoin that server welp gently caress you idiot.

You can build stuff in some one else's CAMP but once you put it down it's theirs and you won't get it back. Nothing's instanced, unless that changed recently, which is probably for the best because most of the actual inter-team interaction ends up being playing Fallout 76 next to another group also playing Fallout 76. On the off chance two groups actually end up near each other on such a large sparsely populated map.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have extreme doubts about Bethesda's ability to create instances in the vein of "Both players are in the same physical spot but see different versions of the location because one is further along in the story." I'd be surprised if they could even instance off the "dungeons" that you have to physically enter.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So me and a friend can't just play a 2 person map on LAN and have some fun?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Katt posted:

Bad

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Because a lot of people were using way too many words to say this when he asked you to be brief

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Katt posted:

You can play on a team and do whatever you want wherever you want

It's possible to go hours without running into people, depending on where you are

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vinylshadow posted:

You can play on a team and do whatever you want wherever you want

It's possible to go hours without running into people, depending on where you are

The answer to his question was "no". Just a simple "no" will suffice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Something wrong with brains itt. Using way too many words when responding to simple questions.

Must have been broken by exposure to Fallout 76.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Something wrong with brains itt. Using way too many words when responding to simple questions.

Must have been broken by exposure to Fallout 76.

Of course, silly me, how dare I suggest people try to have fun in TYOL 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

We are currently having fun playing Borderlands 2 but we both like Fallout 4 and minecraft and heard Fallout 76 was some sort of hybrid of the two with hints of rust.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's not. Not in any meaningful sense anyways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well it's definitely some kind of hybrid of something!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Well it's definitely some kind of hybrid of something!

Regurgitated poo poo and Cum from Todd's Stomach.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
maybe?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's a hybrid of Fallout 4 and Star Citizen

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Katt posted:

We are currently having fun playing Borderlands 2 but we both like Fallout 4 and minecraft and heard Fallout 76 was some sort of hybrid of the two with hints of rust.

who told you that? were they about 5'2" and named todd

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Katt posted:

No LANs. They claimed there would be private servers "at some point in the future" which means never. You'll be stuck on a server with up to 18 other jerks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
There’s very little griefing bc the base user experience is unpleasant enough as it is that griefing is essentially a waste of time. There we go I found a nice thing to say about 76 that wasn’t so hard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Katt posted:

No, but it's still ultimately co-op first person Fallout if that's what you're looking for. I mean, the game's really flawed imo and has been mismanaged, and Bethesda is a garbage company for going back on their word with regards to microtransactions, but you can probably have a decent enough time with a friend. I enjoyed the early game, despite it being plauged with issues, but eventually I just could no longer put up with all the bullshit. The introduction of non-cosmetic mtx was just the poo poo flavored cherry on the top.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently there are dumb rumors for a Fallout 5 so I guess that's probably gonna be the point which 76 is dead, either because a mainline is gonna show up to overshadow it or be a second semi online affair to just undo it. Sometime in 2021 - maybe.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I don't believe for a second in Fallout 5. They used Elder scrolls online to tag another Elderscrolls game off the list and so have an excuse not to have released a sequel to Skyrim for 8 years and counting and I have no doubt that they will use Fallout 76 in the same way.

In comparison

Morrowind: 2002
Oblivion: 2006
Skyrim: 2011
The Elder Scrolls Online: 2014

With Fallout 76 out of the way they can give themselves another 4-5 year window for the next one.

Fallout 3: 2008
New Vegas: 2010
Fallout 4: 2015
Fallout 76: 2018

With this we can probably expect a sequel to Skyrim in 2020 or 2021 and then another Fallout game in 2022 or 2023

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Hey you can still believe Bethesda wouldn't poo poo a game out in under a year if you want. But with how 76 is, uh, I think that possibility is very likely, especially if they have no faith in Starfall or whatever its called.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fallout 76 probably started out at Fallout 5, but then was hacked off at the knees and then the multiplayer bullshit slapped on top.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They’re calling it Garfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s gonna be the President Garfield if video games.