Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

FairGame posted:

Nothing posted in response to this is wrong, per se, but I think basically what happened is this:

In XCOM vanilla (and all of XCOM2, which was *much* worse about it), there was pretty much only 1 viable strategy: alpha strike EVERYTHING. The same turn you activate an alien pod, that alien pod has to die. That gets pretty uninteresting pretty quickly to a lot of folks, myself included.

Long War gets around that by increasing pod sizes and increasing alien HP as the game progresses. It's not impossible to have an activation where you manage to murder an entire pod, but that's not the typical outcome. The typical outcome is "kill what you can, and then use your remaining skills to dig in and suppress aliens/flashbang aliens/smoke your troops, thus minimizing the amount of dangerous return fire you have to deal with."

Which is fine, and I like that it makes abilities and items from XCOM vanilla that were basically useless suddenly pretty viable--preferable, even. But every now and then, XCOM's tech level vs. the alien units and terrain make the "engagements last longer than one turn" a big problem. And where we are in the campaign happens to have several factors that make that happen pretty often:

Yeah I will admit that as much as Long War is probably a better balanced game, XCOM 2 is definitely a more fun game to watch: I find myself skipping ahead on Long War LPs just because there's so much downtime compared to 2 (at least on missions, it seems that the time between missions in the war room is days at most). Still, I'm glad to have the patience to see how this plays out: I've only ever played Enemy Unknown and it's fun to see all the little tweaks this mod brings to the table.

P.S. please don't get me killed for my insolence :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So did that overwatch trap happen because the dropped Exalts were active and they just went "Better overwatch because there is nothing to shoot at"?

Also a brutal showcase why CCS is busted when you can just park your dude in the middle of the enemy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's only busted because you can keep exalt from instantly murdering you. It's still insanely useful but it's still early game.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

CCS: great for killing things that cannot shoot you efficiently. Bad at keeping you actually safe from getting shot point blank.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

mortons stork posted:

I'm sorry, I hope you did not take that personally. I would like to reiterate that your campaign is the only campaign of long war that I have ever found watchable, and I follow it with interest. I am, in fact, not a fan of Beaglerush's '1h30m-2h per mission as he counts tiles and edits out jack poo poo' and much prefer your approach, even if it can get you punished
Completely agree, this is the only Long War LP I’ve found that’s actually watchable — and not just watchable but drat entertaining, too. I wouldn’t watch the funniest motherfucker in the world spend 2 hours counting tiles and agonizing over a single mission. Keep it up, and thank you!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach posted:

So did that overwatch trap happen because the dropped Exalts were active and they just went "Better overwatch because there is nothing to shoot at"?
Yep. I just didn't think they'd go on overwatch because while they were active, they had no idea we were around. We hadn't made contact at all. Live and learn, I guess. At least it didn't get anyone killed.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

For rocket scatter can the rocket hit any point within the scatter range of the target, even if it wasn't a valid target in the first place?

What about the case of shooting a rocket through a window near to the shooter? Can scatter cause it to hit the window right next to you?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It can scatter to points you couldn't have specifically aimed at, yeah. Including going further than your supposed maximum range.

On the other hand, the way it works is by picking the detonation point and then flying straight there; it will slice through anything in the way without exploding.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zernach posted:

Also a brutal showcase why CCS is busted when you can just park your dude in the middle of the enemy.

The equivalent skill in XCOM2 is similarly hilarious, especially since the game telegraphs where the next wave of Advent chumps is going to drop in.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, scatter can make your rocket hit stuff that was theoretically impossible.

A fun thing the game likes to do is shift up/down in elevation when you're targeting, and if you click at precisely the wrong time, the rocket you were about to launch into a pack of floaters way downfield will instead just slam into the wall in front of your front line. That's the closest I'll come to reloading in what is a de facto ironman campaign.

Omnicrom posted:

The equivalent skill in XCOM2 is similarly hilarious, especially since the game telegraphs where the next wave of Advent chumps is going to drop in.

It's hilarious until one of the advent chumps is a purifier, anyway.

I mean, it's arguably even more hilarious when that happens, but it's very upsetting at the same time!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

Yeah, scatter can make your rocket hit stuff that was theoretically impossible.

A fun thing the game likes to do is shift up/down in elevation when you're targeting, and if you click at precisely the wrong time, the rocket you were about to launch into a pack of floaters way downfield will instead just slam into the wall in front of your front line. That's the closest I'll come to reloading in what is a de facto ironman campaign.

It's hilarious until one of the advent chumps is a purifier, anyway.

I mean, it's arguably even more hilarious when that happens, but it's very upsetting at the same time!

I'm assuming you know this (and it won't help much against the specific problem you mentioned anyway) but: for targeting grenades and rockets I find it better practice to press Enter instead of clicking. It makes it less likely that I ever-so-slightly jerk my mouse, and the movement is simpler/more blunt, making it easier for me to make sure the press happens at the exact moment I want it to happen. To click my mouse I have to ever-so-gently bend my finger at an angle, whereas pressing Enter can take the full perpendicular force of my clenched fist :v: (slight hyperbole).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Really the problem is that the devs thought it would be fun and cool to let you free-target grenades, so that you have to hunt for the one individual pixel where it lands right, squeezed between 3 other pixels where you bounce it off of a mote of dust gently wafting through the air and vaporize your entire team.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I had to cut this video short prematurely because I had to go run in a charity 5k. Anyway, nothing interesting happens the rest of the mission--the squad handles one lone pack of stragglers just fine, and then things turn over into the next month. Brazil left the council, of course. We launch satellites over India (for the Asia "New Warfare" bonus that gives -25% cost in $, elerium, and alloys on foundry projects) and the United States (for extra $, and also for the country bonus that gives -25% time on interrogations and autopsies.)

Eating Only Apples got sent on an EXALT covert op at the start of the month as well--a 16 movement scout is EXTREMELY useful so long as I don't get grenaded to death.

But the next video will pick up with an abduction in Australia.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vid's a touch laggy, not sure why.

e: it looks like it was just at the start of the vid, it's all good now.

ee: what was KW's tech sergeant pick? I forget how you were building her out.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack posted:

Vid's a touch laggy, not sure why.

e: it looks like it was just at the start of the vid, it's all good now.

ee: what was KW's tech sergeant pick? I forget how you were building her out.

Vital Point Targeting (+2 damage vs. humans, and any alien unit you’ve autopsied.)

There are some ranks of sniper where I can see it being a tough choice, but tech sergeant isn’t one of them.

Platform Stability and Executioner both lend themselves to In the Zone builds, but snipers have such high aim that the bonus aim from the skill is irrelevant, and I would rather have two more damage in all cases vs. 10 percent more crit chance.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

<---- Fuckin mission MVP, right here. I need a mixture of :thumbsup: and :xcom:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The episode title is :discourse:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MAY SUMMARY

Other than a :xcom: moment that cost us Pash (:rip: Pash), this was a very good tactical month. The air game got a little weird and we got lucky with a couple of failed raiders--the aliens can have their own :xcom: on scouting missions, apparently. June's gonna be a monster, but we're well positioned. The only mistake I really got punished for was that overwatch trap that put Scalding Coffee in medbay for half the summer, but at least it was an entertaining learning experience.

Notable Soldier Stuff: We finally got officers, whose "stay frosty" ability at lieutenant will come in handy since June/July tend to have obscene amounts of missions. We're also almost at 115 total promotions, which will let us get Squad Size II. The goal here is to not get anyone killed (even more than usual--I'll play conservatively for a couple missions just to make sure I can get the needed promotions) so that we can get a squad of 8.

We're also starting to get some all-star caliber units. kw0134 is probably the first such unit, as a sniper who started with high aim and has rolled high aim on seemingly every promotion. Now that I have the United States autopsy speed bonus, kw0134 should be able to regularly one-shot things thanks to hitting tech sergeant and getting vital point targeting. Eating Only Apples, as a 16 mobility scout, is another great soldier in the making. Problem there is two-fold: first, covert operatives tend not to live very long--it only takes one stray grenade to ruin things. Second, even if they do live that long, they don't get (m)any kills, which means they take forever to level up.

Oh, and now that we have officers, suddenly Megane's garbage willpower doesn't matter quite so much. And as a mobile turret with high aim, that's another very good unit.

Notable Base Stuff: We've got power to build stuff now! And we've started in on our workshop block even while our lab block is looking...ok-ish. Getting the Asia foundry bonus is nice, though it'll be nicer when we start actually doing foundry projects. And, honestly, there's a good chance that we lose a satellite in Asia this month--alien resources are still high, and I can't afford to spam interceptors anymore. But still...things are fine here.

Notable Research: We've got laser tech for everyone, which is a big deal, and smooths out the garbage aim that much of the early game is plagued with. In all likelihood, we're not going to be one-shotting anything (other than maybe kw0134) with lasers on non-flanks. But having all lasers available is nice, and we're thisclose to a meaningful armor upgrade, too. I rolled the dice a little bit on the EXALT introduction and it paid off. Had EXALT hacked my improved body armor research with like 1-2 days left, it would've set our research game back like a full week. And that matters quite a bit right now since June 30/July 1 is our drop-dead date for critical stuff.

Notable Air Game: We got lucky here a few times, with UFOs coming that we couldn't respond to, but nevertheless failing to do any damage. We've got a ton of planes, but they're still all stingray-equipped. That's not good enough, and most of the birds are damaged to start the month, too. Getting some more laser cannons onto interceptors will help a ton, but we've gotta figure out a weapon installation schedule because it takes 7 days to arm a weapon that isn't avalanche/stingray missiles.

Goals for June: Squad Size II as soon as possible. Build maybe half a dozen laser cannons and get them installed on interceptors, staggered throughout the month. Get advanced body armor built and rolled out to the squad. Maybe an Alloy SHIV too; I dunno. If we can figure out a way to get the foundry's "improved medkits" rolled out before month's end, that'd be nice too, but who knows?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

suddenly Megane's garbage willpower doesn't matter quite so much

My therapist said that too :smuggo:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Now THAT is the long war air game I recognize!

e: I can't believe i'm still in medbay. I should be ready by the next mission though, looks like. I forgot how loving long a hit could down someone.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 18, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I enjoyed the laser light show that was put on by Imperial Stormtroopers our brave XCOM soldiers

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Holy poo poo that UFO just would not loving die :psyduck:

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I hope those laser cannons tip the balance in the air war. I also wonder how "Ship of Theseus" each plane will be by the end.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Seeing the 70 accuracy on those Laser Cannons sure explains why you really really want them, not having to rely on dice as much like we just saw will be wonderful.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I like some of the nicknames we've been getting. Angel Ted & Princess Badger sound like a great comedy duo.

e: and you can't forget Arcade Llama

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 18, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Okay I feel slightly bad for complaining :v: Delacroix was meant to be the French-est name possible, and that one time you said Adeline like the English word "line" when it was meant to be like the word "lean". Rolling the r is an optional extra.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dancer posted:

I like some of the nicknames we've been getting. Angel Ted & Princess Badger sound like a great comedy duo.

e: and you can't forget Arcade Llama

Nicknames are random iirc so they just happen with no rhyme or reason that I'm aware of. If they're connected to some kind of variable other than class, I'm not aware of it. It's definitely a missed opportunity sadly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm so glad our shivvy boi is finally getting some airtime.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ditto. I guess it's difficult to work out when's the right time to break out a SHIV, too early and I guess you might be missing out on opportunities to level up your weaker soldiers, and if you're too late I assume they drop in effectiveness?

And there I was thinking "surely you don't need quite so many planes"...

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'll try and get another one up today. EXALT extraction missions aren't terribly interesting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even if EXALT is nothing but a GI Joe villain you can definitely see how those missions can go terribly wrong.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If we did prove that France is not the base of EXALT, due to the intel from our first encounter, why are we still going there? Is that just RNG?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee posted:

If we did prove that France is not the base of EXALT, due to the intel from our first encounter, why are we still going there? Is that just RNG?

It’s just RNG. Where EXALT cells pop up has nothing to do with their HQ.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So the best way for civvies to live is if the aliens decide to charge your squad :thumbsup:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You handled that really well.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

kw0134 posted:

So the best way for civvies to live is if the aliens decide to charge your squad :thumbsup:

Better than charging the aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That was an absurd number of 'lids in a short period of time, goddamn