Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

winterwerefox posted:

TLDR: Its extremely casual friendly. No one other than people from other mmos who have no idea how the game works demands certain builds or compositions. People in here joke about bad/joke builds, and yet they would still help the team beat content at a good pace. Its a MMO about wiping out masses of mooks and looking awesome doing it.

Good to know. I'm an inveterate caster in MMOs, though, I don't tend to like melee. I've been browsing the wiki and looking over power sets, and for good or ill the ones that have caught my imagination haven't been talked about much if at all in this game.

Probably won't look into trying the game until my current MMO subscription expires, but where would I go (PM me if :files: is indeed a concern) for a step by step guide to getting the game up and running?

Also, how much does origin affect the game, if at all? I have no idea how story-focused or not this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Cythereal posted:

Good to know. I'm an inveterate caster in MMOs, though, I don't tend to like melee. I've been browsing the wiki and looking over power sets, and for good or ill the ones that have caught my imagination haven't been talked about much if at all in this game.

There's no unsalvagable powersets. There's a handful that require some extra attention or are slow at lower levels, but literally everything is viable. Go for theme, figure out math later.

Cythereal posted:

Probably won't look into trying the game until my current MMO subscription expires, but where would I go (PM me if :files: is indeed a concern) for a step by step guide to getting the game up and running?

It's just like any other AAA MMO. There's a launcher (I think it's linked in PGS, or on the Homecoming forums). You run it. It downloads the game. Register an account on the server you want to play on. Login. Play.

Cythereal posted:

Also, how much does origin affect the game, if at all? I have no idea how story-focused or not this game is.

There's an intro arc at the beginning that changes, and it it affects your starting temp power (but you can change that). Also the names of your non-IO enhancements. That's about it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

You might want Blaster for majority ranged/glass cannon play time. Controllers are amazing, hard lock downs of single targets as well as AOE holds, immobilizes, sleeps, ect based on power type. Some come with pets. They have a secondary power set all about buffs/debuffs.

Dominators are similar to Controllers, excecpt their secondary allows them to poo poo out crazy amounts of damage. There will be some melee attacks in there, but you don't have to take them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Relentless posted:

It's just like any other AAA MMO. There's a launcher (I think it's linked in PGS, or on the Homecoming forums). You run it. It downloads the game. Register an account on the server you want to play on. Login. Play.

Ah, thought it was more complicated. Didn't understand what was going on with the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Relentless posted:

There's an intro arc at the beginning that changes, and it it affects your starting temp power (but you can change that). Also the names of your non-IO enhancements. That's about it.

Origin changes the most important thing of all: the available titles to stick above your name when you hit 25.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For caster types, your best bets are Blaster, Corrupter, Defender, Dominator, Controller, Arachnos Soldiers/Arachnos Widows (but not for your first character), and Mastermind (again, not for first character), depending on exactly what type of caster you like playing.

Blasters are glass cannons embodied. All damage, all the time, but with defense that ranges from very little to negligible. Their primaries are ranged, while their secondaries tend to have a mix of melee and personal buff type powers.

Corrupters take a hit to their base damage compared to Blasters, but their secondary set is some flavor of support. There is a wide range of what their secondaries do, including whether or not or by how much their powers affect themselves. They can be built for ranged damage or support fairly well.

Defenders are the role filled by healers in other MMO's, but here, they are all around support with lots of different flavors. Healing is less valuable in this game, so buffs and debuffs are also really good. Their primary is support and secondary is ranged damage.

I'm not as familiar with Dominators and Controllers, but their role is to lock down the enemy in some fashion with crowd control. They also do ranged damage.

Arachnos Soldiers and Arachnos Widows have Crab Spiders and Fortunatas paths that are both lots of fun and are great for the caster role, but their gimmicks are a bit complex for first time players. These used to require a level 50 character before you could even start playing one. They both suck until level 24 when they can branch out from their base class into Crab Spider or Fortunata (or two other classes that are more melee-based).

I bring up Masterminds here because they're kind of like the pet-based caster classes, though they're pretty unique and I haven't seen a game that does this as well as CoH. The pets stay out and can be resummoned fairly often when they're defeated. The Mastermind secondary also does some flavor of support, most of which can buff your own mini army. Just keep in mind that Masterminds need some extra reading to be able to have any fun playing them. The default commands the game gives you do not work well enough, and don't even give a command for bodyguard mode (sets pets to absorb most of the damage dealt to you while attacking your attackers).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
need some quick help, was gonna do some inf farming, and i recall reading that there was some fire build to use, but i was really tired and cant remember the specifics or which page it was that i read it on. anyone know what im thinking of?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

site posted:

need some quick help, was gonna do some inf farming, and i recall reading that there was some fire build to use, but i was really tired and cant remember the specifics or which page it was that i read it on. anyone know what im thinking of?

Spines/Fire Aura, just turn on the farts and hide in a dumpster.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dareon posted:

Spines/Fire Aura, just turn on the farts and hide in a dumpster.

Brute, Spine/Fire or Rad/Fire.

Take every AOE you can and both damage toggles and both build ups. Augment with a powerful single target attack or two for bosses. Recommended that later on you pick up the Mu Mastery for even more AOEs.

Cap your fire resist (easy), fill your sets with anything that has a +fire defense bonus. Fill your inspiration bar with small purples, start off the map with 2 or 3 of them. Eat other inspirations as fast as you get them. By 16-20ish you should be able to do -1/8 or 0/8 fire farms. Ramp up the level as you can handle it.

I like the Rainbow Comicon AE mission personally, it's a nice open level and you're not killing 100 clones of the same model.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

if you plan on soloing a lot, for your first characters, I recommend a Scrapper or Stalker. Tanker is unkillable if built right, but there is a stigma about them in team situations with bad ones giving the entire archetype bad names. Brute for a first character definitely can work, but it has mechanics that make you want to keep rushing and moving and you over extend if you dont know your limits. Scrapper is always on,
great damage, decent defense. Stalker is better damage, and can pick targets for assassination.

I loving love Stalker and have a bunch of different ones to try new builds (Im considering a second Street Justice since SJ/Invuln might not pan out, but I'm not far enough into Incarnate with him to tell) but the one thing i will say bad about stalker is it teaches you some bad habits that are hard to unlearn when you go back to a "normie" class that isnt a perma invis murderblender

the solution is to ABS (Always Be Stalking)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Also Caster like is Sentinels. They are armored blasters that do less damage, dont have any crowd control, but have defenses and reduce the armor of enemies they hit with each attack. Not very popular, they need more damage to be real competitive, but they work well for what they are.

Another is Kheldians. You are a shapeshifter thing that can take on other forms to blast or tank. I never used one.

Controllers have a mechanic where they do x2 damage to things they have in a form of crowd control. The Fire/Kinetics Controller is a popular build, as they can self buff damage, buff the damage of their pets, and then get x2 damage on top of that because they hit a group with an AoE immobilize. My personal favorite Controller/caster is a Dark/Dark controller. You get a lot of pets, and everything is cowering in fear, while a giant wolf you summoned is eating face.

Easiest set up is make an account on here, follow the directions, and play. Not hard. There is a torrent to download the files, but the launcher will get it working.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php?board=46.0

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Corrupter is probably the best all around ranged archetype for somebody just starting out. They aren't best at anything, but they are pretty straightforward and effective both in teams and solo. Pick a ranged assault power set and a buff/debuff set that sounds cool and go to town. Note that some buffs can only be applied to other people, but there really aren't any sets that are unusable for soloing.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

site posted:

Theres options and a bunch of idiot pubbie slapfighting over whats best out of the 4 Brute Fire farm builds
Spines Fire
Rad Fire
Super Str Fire
Elec Fire

Ive tried Rad and Super Str and Super Str is a lot more fun and satisfying + can be played outside of AE and actually kill stuff so I like it more I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

Corrupter is probably the best all around ranged archetype for somebody just starting out. They aren't best at anything, but they are pretty straightforward and effective both in teams and solo. Pick a ranged assault power set and a buff/debuff set that sounds cool and go to town. Note that some buffs can only be applied to other people, but there really aren't any sets that are unusable for soloing.

I see Corruptors are villains. What does that end up impacting in the game?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

that's old news. all archetypes are open to all sides.

also you can switch between sides instantly by talking to a bird in a dance club, and everyone cool is a neutral (rogue/vig) so they can play both content on both sides with every1 anyways

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Nothing. You can change sides instantly by visiting a not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I AM THE MOON posted:

that's old news. all archetypes are open to all sides.

also you can switch between sides instantly by talking to a bird in a dance club, and everyone cool is a neutral (rogue/vig) so they can play both content on both sides with every1 anyways

Ah. Sorry for all the stupid newbie questions. The wiki, it seems, is badly out of date.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Ah. Sorry for all the stupid newbie questions. The wiki, it seems, is badly out of date.

dont worry about it.

also theres 2 wikis. paragon wiki is the good one, and its still kinda out of date bc the version ppl play on now is like 2 updates ahead of what the game was on when it died or something. lots of archetype power combos opened up on homecoming that it doesn't have, a new zone, new task force, costume creation opened up, etc.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Its out of date because it was 8 years hidden and no one bothered to update it. A lot of the quality of life things we take for granted, like instant side switching and any class, any side in this version were added by the people running it that kept it hidden for that time. A giant bomb of drama exploded over the fact they kept it hidden, but I havent heard anything about that lately.

Being a villain in game means you run missions in the Rogue Isles. Its a drab, ugly place, where you will be for most of the game, someone's mook. Villain population is usually 25% of Hero. There are two hybrid alignments, Vigilante and Rogue. each has an innate Hero or Villain bend to them, so being a Rogue will allow you to still run Villain contacts, while being able to move to the Hero maps and get into Hero teams to do that content. Vigilante is opposite, being mostly hero, and being able to run in villain teams.

For flavor as far as missions go, Hero is being a good upstanding doing right for rightness sake, Vigilante is evil must be made to pay, the world is wicked and everyone must see that. Villain is Power for me! and Rogue is failing to be a villain and accidentally being a hero a lot. Also its all about being paid piles of cash for your efforts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah unfortunately a lot of the wiki documentation is super old and has had little in the way of caretaking over the years.

All the main archetypes can be either hero or villain (or preatorian) now. The epic archetypes (Kheldian and Arachnos Soldier) must start as hero or villain respectively, but as soon as you can reach an entrance to Pocket D you can change that too if you want. Power sets and costume parts that used to be pay only are also completely unlocked now, so character creation will let you do basically anything you want right from the start.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

What powersets are you looking at? Pretty much every powerset has at least one goon who champions it, and can tell you everything you need to know (and more).

Cythereal posted:

Don't be sorry. People in the thread are always more than happy to answer questions and help people out, wether they're new or a vet.

This is probably the friendliest, most casual MMO to ever exist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kheldarn posted:

What powersets are you looking at? Pretty much every powerset has at least one goon who champions it, and can tell you everything you need to know (and more).

For blasters/corruptors: electrical blast, ice blast, psychic blast.

Controllers: gravity control, plant control.

Just from the sounds of things in the wiki, a blaster with electrical blast and energy manipulation (for the buffs, not the melee) sounded good. Or secondary as storm summoning or time manipulation if I went corruptor as people recommended.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
This is purely theorycraft but it looks like Fire brutes kind of tick up at 16 (Which is when you've got both your resistance toggles), 18 (You get your second damage aura if you're spines or radiation), and 22 (You can slot SO's, two Resistance SO's in Fire Shield, two in Plasma Shield, and one in Temperature Protection will cap your fire res, and AFAIK there are fire farms that only do fire damage with no secondary components in any of the attacks.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Just from the sounds of things in the wiki, a blaster with electrical blast and energy manipulation (for the buffs, not the melee) sounded good. Or secondary as storm summoning or time manipulation if I went corruptor as people recommended.

Ice Blast is a go-to for single target ranged damage. It's very good at what it does.

I cannot recommend Plant Control enough, either for a Controller or Dominator. The AOE confuse by itself is enough to make it a great set, and then carrion creepers are ALSO great. And the venus fly trap is just fun. The Sleep is a niche move, you will very rarely need it but it can be great to stop a bad pull. The Spirit Tree is pretty garbage, though.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Gravity/Storm is a powerful control combo that will make you feel like a primal angry god.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

plant control owns. also blasters can go secondary plant now (and it's really fun), so you can be like some kinda nature god with electric or ice /plant if you want to. lots of new cool options

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Time Manipulation is a fun set and maybe a bit overtuned (it's a custom power set made after the game was officially shuttered). It's a grab bag that can do a bit of everything, including healing, shielding, buffing, and debuffing the snot out of enemies. It's also super easy to get some of the best buffs active full time, though the set is a serious endurance hog early on if you keep everything active.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ty all for the fire build stuff. If i use a farm that boosts me up into the 40s will so enhancements at my current level work, or do i need to make/buy ios

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

site posted:

Ty all for the fire build stuff. If i use a farm that boosts me up into the 40s will so enhancements at my current level work, or do i need to make/buy ios

Enhancements stop working when you're +3 to them.
IOs never have this issue.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If you are artificially boosted you keep your enhancements until your natural level is +4 to them. You start at natural level 22, with level 25 SOs in level 40 content getting power leveled. Your SOs will work until your natural level hits 29, then shut off, with diminishing effectiveness with each level. Only set bonuses shut off because of the side kick system, not base enhancements.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cythereal posted:

Electric's gimmick is end drain; at early levels it doesn't do much, but Short Circuit will drain a big chunk of end from your enemies, and combined with /elec it can do a good job of totally draining things so they can't pay for their powers anymore. That said, it's a bit gimmicky and it works very poorly on higher-class foes which get ridiculous amounts of end they'll never use.

Ice is as someone said earlier the ST damage cruise missile of the game. AOE is very bad, ST damage is very very good. Beam Rifle is a competitor, maybe? It's good, basically. It has a minor in control effects, too, which can help keep you alive or do the classic "hold one guy, kill his friend, deal with him when he wakes up" thing. It's secondary effect is move and power recharge slows, which both keep you alive because things with nasty melee can't get into melee and everything is attacking less.

Psychic blast has an even bigger minor in control, and -recharge as it's secondary effect. It's a type of damage that's rarely resisted but is resisted very heavily when it is resisted, usually by robots and other "mindless" things. It's surprisingly lacking in AOE since the really nice cone attack Psychic Scream got moved into the secondary when it became a blaster set, for... some reason?? /psy does end up being fantastic as a result, though, because it has both Psychic Scream and Psychic Shockwave, as well as a ton of other good powers.

Gravity Control I'm playing right now, and it's a badly organised set that gets it's fundamental tools too late, but when you have them it's a good control set with surprisingly good ST damage for a controller. You're not gonna be taking out EBs like a scrapper, but you'll probably be keeping up with corruptors and dominators and other B-tier damage classes. Wormhole makes up for coming way too late by being really useful, given it both stuns a full mob, and gathers them all in one spot for easy AOEing.

Plant is silly-good, as others have said already. Seeds of Confusion will be up every mob, and the confuse effect is fantastic; they hit each other, contributing to your damage, and don't hit you(r team), and because they fight each other, they'll all be running up to each other, clustering for better AOE. Carrion Creepers is just gravy but would also be a set-making power for anyone else. Even outside of those powers it's a serviceable control set, though it does have the baffling Spirit Tree, which I don't think anyone has ever taken.

Important note: None of these are so bad I'd recommend you don't take them. Elec's gimmick is gonna get way less play in trials, yeah, but it's still a blaster and will still be dropping large amounts of damage with good AOE splash. Nobody's gonna turn their nose up at you for playing Grav before level 26, either. Play anything; they're all fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Neat, thanks. Strongly leaning towards ice/plant blaster if and when I give the game a try.

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Cythereal posted:

Neat, thanks. Strongly leaning towards ice/plant blaster if and when I give the game a try.

That's what we're here for. And if you don't like how your character is panning out, you can always try another. The Homecoming servers gives you a silly amount of space for alternate characters, nearly a thousand.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

That sounds super fun

Might I interest you in a Stalker instead, though?

Fearless_Decoy posted:

That's what we're here for. And if you don't like how your character is panning out, you can always try another. The Homecoming servers gives you a silly amount of space for alternate characters, nearly a thousand.

1000 per server, so 5k total

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
That’s nuts. The only thing keeping me from not rolling another toon was that my list was full. Now I’m going to have a hundred level 6s.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

xxEightxx posted:

That’s nuts. The only thing keeping me from not rolling another toon was that my list was full. Now I’m going to have a hundred level 6s.

yeah im already at like 70 characters. two of them are 50, maybe 3 others are in the 30s-40s, everything else is around like 10 or so, if not just like, lv2 because I made them and went "actually nevermind"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hefty Leftist posted:

anyone else want CoH to look a bit better? with maxed out graphics CoH looks pretty good considering it came out in 2004, but still shows its age in some areas. lighting and shading tends to be pretty flat, so i've made a Reshade ini preset file that adds in bloom, MXAO, vibrance, ambient lighting, godrays + more. i've done what i can to configure it to look as good as possible, generally i've tried to make CoH pop and stand out a lot more. Ouroboros in particular is a standout and looks fantastic with better lighting, as well as teams that have a plethora of different powers and effects going off. it can be a little bit taxing performance wise tho so heads up. screenshots + link below if you're interested:

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1vrkltzpa3o4etc/CoHReshade.ini/file

How did this just get passed over without comment, because it looks awesome and as soon as my computer is back online Im slapping this bitch on.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
How does the reshader file work? Do we just put it in the main directory as is, or do we need to rename it?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

So I want to actually try sentinel and I’ve gathered elec/ is good for it; should I go elec/elec or /energy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

yeah im already at like 70 characters. two of them are 50, maybe 3 others are in the 30s-40s, everything else is around like 10 or so, if not just like, lv2 because I made them and went "actually nevermind"

i have like 50 on indom and 10 on everlasting, with a half dozen 50s, but only 2 of them have real investment/The Full Incarnate Package

Too many characters made after thinking up a good name/gimmick that get abandoned in the 20s