Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zurui posted:

Contrary to popular belief, nerds gently caress.

Nerds gently caress a lot.
I wasn't trying to make a sexless nerd joke really, but it's not enough to just gently caress. You have to gently caress like, really slowly and methodically to play 3.5e D&D while you do it. I'm talking about actually playing a game with rules as described, it's not enough to lean forward and grunt "I swing my broadsword 1d8 unggh" once while loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wasn't trying to make a sexless nerd joke really, but it's not enough to just gently caress. You have to gently caress like, really slowly and methodically to play 3.5e D&D while you do it. I'm talking about actually playing a game with rules as described, it's not enough to lean forward and grunt "I swing my broadsword 1d8 unggh" once while loving.

I wasn't intended to be disingenuous in that sense either; I more meant that sex and sex-adjacent poo poo is a larger part of the Geek Life than some of us think. Especially online, ERP provides a safe and non-threatening space to play out one's fantasies. It's a short hop to using D&D for that, since D&D is already a vector for social interaction for some people who struggle to otherwise relate to other human beings. The (house) rules are there to ground everything and retreat to when situations become uncomfortable.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The 40K tv series they announced is gonna kick rear end

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Plutonis posted:

The 40K tv series they announced is gonna kick rear end

I dunno man, there's an Ultramarines movie

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's the only time 3.5's "save or suck" gameplay has worked well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Plutonis posted:

It's honestly the only situation where i'd give storygaming a wide berth.

A narrow berth is fine unless you've got > 3 players

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

A narrow berth is fine unless you've got > 3 players

We're talking about gamers here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah but they stack.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

FactsAreUseless posted:

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

I played with groups of 4 before.

look at Plutonis over here bragging about their polycule

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Did anyone get around to making a Free League/Fria Ligan thread for their various games? I vaguely remember someone was going to, but if they haven't/aren't going to anymore I might do an effort post this weekend if there's still interest.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spiteski posted:

Did anyone get around to making a Free League/Fria Ligan thread for their various games? I vaguely remember someone was going to, but if they haven't/aren't going to anymore I might do an effort post this weekend if there's still interest.

I want to, with the same intention of getting an effort post up this weekend, but if you have one drafted, go ahead. Or ping me on discord and we could work together on it

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I have no draft yet so I'll just give you a bell on discord and see if theres something I can help with.

Edit: cant seem to find you on the TG discord. Can you ping me? I'm spite on there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A friend and I are working on a little side-project where we want to analyze RPG's specifically from a mechanics perspective, like actually talking about the math and poo poo. To that end, if people want to just throw the most off the wall resolution mechanics they've ever encountered, please, play 'em on me. I'm thinking specifically about things like Muscle Marines' use of arm wrestling or that one about being Seinfeld Dinosaurs that I forget the name of and how it used eating chicken wings.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

or that one about being Seinfeld Dinosaurs that I forget the name of and how it used eating chicken wings.
Jurassic Central Park.

That said, if you want to dive into weird but conventional mechanics there's always roll-and-keep.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, we're definitely gonna do something with roll and keep and ORE and contrasting the math behind different card mechanics and the like at some point. That's definitely grist for our mill. I just thought I'd put out feelers for some truly buck wild mechanics I might not know about.

And thanks for the reminder on the name. It's sitting somewhere on this hard drive but I always forget it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Old school Storyteller with its three variables of success. Number of dice, value you're looking for, and number of successes needed. Also botches and 10s.

All tables I played on ran it that one's only took away successes if you had more ones than successes, which was less lovely.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Old school Storyteller with its three variables of success. Number of dice, value you're looking for, and number of successes needed. Also botches and 10s.

All tables I played on ran it that one's only took away successes if you had more ones than successes, which was less lovely.

O that piece of poo poo is getting its own episode. And he's gonna have to hit me with a rolled up newspaper to stop me from putting in graphs.

Some of us paid attention in math class and realize how dog poo poo that thing was.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Spione’s weird card based system.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xiahou Dun posted:

O that piece of poo poo is getting its own episode. And he's gonna have to hit me with a rolled up newspaper to stop me from putting in graphs.

Some of us paid attention in math class and realize how dog poo poo that thing was.
Make sure you include Cthulhutech, with its system that allows for a roll to be both a critical failure and exceptional success at the same time!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

I love that the rerolling 10's thing wasn't actually optional. At least things got semi-cleaned up by 3rd edition, but they still had a lot of folks working there who literally didn't understand the math. Hell I remember a former mage dev posted a horror story in these very forums about another dev casually telling him that "Increasing the difficulty [so target number on the die] and increasing the successes [number of dice that meet that target number] required for a roll was functionally the same thing. So in their mind "You need to roll two 7+'s," was the same as "You need to roll three 6+'s," and "You need to roll one 8+"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

Make sure you include Cthulhutech, with its system that allows for a roll to be both a critical failure and exceptional success at the same time!
Please don't make Cthulhutech sound cool and good

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Yawgmoth posted:

So the West End D6 system from Star Wars?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

That’s almost a good idea.

“You have almost instantly decoded the Cthonians’ arcane language and can fully understand the secret tome you recovered.

The problem is now the wind is singing to you of dreams of blood and the secret language of time itself is written on every surface.”

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splicer posted:

Please don't make Cthulhutech sound cool and good

The setting is pretty decent in the core book and the first couple of supplements, and the art is usually good too

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

A friend and I are working on a little side-project where we want to analyze RPG's specifically from a mechanics perspective, like actually talking about the math and poo poo. To that end, if people want to just throw the most off the wall resolution mechanics they've ever encountered, please, play 'em on me. I'm thinking specifically about things like Muscle Marines' use of arm wrestling or that one about being Seinfeld Dinosaurs that I forget the name of and how it used eating chicken wings.
I dunno how well Everway plays into mathematical analysis, but it's a good one. "Read a tarot-like card to determine success or failure based on the card's mystical meaning."

I think this sounds like a great idea; I'd be interested in checking it out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Maxwell Lord posted:

“You have almost instantly decoded the Cthonians’ arcane language and can fully understand the secret tome you recovered.

The problem is now the wind is singing to you of dreams of blood and the secret language of time itself is written on every surface.”
No almost about it. One shotting a dragon and then making futile bowling hands as its corpse freeglides toward the village.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

No almost about it. One shotting a dragon and then making futile bowling hands as its corpse freeglides toward the village.

FFG's Narrative Dice System is pretty cool for this, too. Triumph and Despair don't cancel out, and on a smaller scale you can succeed with Threat or fail with Advantage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno how well Everway plays into mathematical analysis, but it's a good one. "Read a tarot-like card to determine success or failure based on the card's mystical meaning."

I think this sounds like a great idea; I'd be interested in checking it out.

With major arcana or without?

And we hope it sounds cool to someone. We're kind of just doing it for funnsies and to stay in touch, but if we had an actual audience that'd be cool too.

We want to look at how systems interact and enforce narrative (or don't), talk about cool and weird mechanics, propose possible fixes to old and broken games (e.g. like making War not deterministic bullshit), that kind of thing. A stretch goal might be us doing our own head-to-head design challenges sometimes based around a common theme, with maybe some light play-testing if we get some good radio out of it but we'll see.

Right now we're just doing research and sketching out the first 5 episodes or so to get proof of concept.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Maxwell Lord posted:

If it was written like that then it would almost be good, but it wasn't. Everything in the game was pass/fail, either you succeeded or you didn't and maybe said success or failure was extreme.

As I recall, someone asked on their forum what to do in that situation and their response was "no you're wrong that can't happen" followed by ":shrug: ask the GM" when several people demonstrated how it can happen and how easily.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

As I recall, someone asked on their forum what to do in that situation and their response was "no you're wrong that can't happen" followed by ":shrug: ask the GM" when several people demonstrated how it can happen and how easily.
LOL that's so loving 90s.

If you try to engage the game engine on any mechanical level, or ask for rule clarification, you get told that the GM should choose what happens, and if you press the issue you get accused of "ROLL-playing not ROLE-playing"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

FactsAreUseless posted:

This sounds like an odd fusion of BDSM and gambling.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

With major arcana or without?
It's a fake tarot made of all major-arcana-style cards.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It's a fake tarot made of all major-arcana-style cards.

O now I reread your first post and realized that it's not an actual tarot deck. Sorry, I have a head-cold and already had a beer so between that and the cold meds I'm not at 100% brain power.

I'm picturing something like how Winter's Tale or Mysterium does things. Am I close? That could be really cool if everyone was chill and collaborative.

poo poo what was the wuxia RPG that had a knife as its resolution mechanic? (Being bad at names sucks.)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Mist-robed Gate

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 18, 2019

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Noumenon's domino-train-based resolution system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

LOL that's so loving 90s.

If you try to engage the game engine on any mechanical level, or ask for rule clarification, you get told that the GM should choose what happens, and if you press the issue you get accused of "ROLL-playing not ROLE-playing"
*eyeballs D&D 5e* brb warning Clinton about 9/11

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Len posted:

I dunno man, there's an Ultramarines movie

The official animated series is probably going to be excellent. GW actually hired a fan who adapted a 40K audiobook to do it. He did a great job on his project, I have no concerns about the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

Another fan creator who is doing amazing 40k work is this series. The composition, timing, and foley work are all impeccable, and he makes Space Marines look like exactly the sort of badasses they should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-MteECxZUY

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm also trying to collect them here https://forsoothgoons.com/tg/index.php?title=Big_List_of_Dice_Systems :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mllaneza posted:

The official animated series is probably going to be excellent. GW actually hired a fan who adapted a 40K audiobook to do it. He did a great job on his project, I have no concerns about the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

Another fan creator who is doing amazing 40k work is this series. The composition, timing, and foley work are all impeccable, and he makes Space Marines look like exactly the sort of badasses they should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-MteECxZUY

Clicked to a random spot, got hit with some cask-strength "It was the belief of Reclusiarch Modred that up on his death" and remembered why I played Tyranids.