Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What's a doctor vig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Little Mac posted:

What's a doctor vig

they have a gun that shoots syringes

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Due to weird wording the doctor in my second game ever could kill a player by targeting them two nights in a row, I still kinda like that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I like the doc that stops a kill if they were being killed, but kills the player otherwise. Unecessary treatment kills.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amoeba102 posted:

I like the doc that stops a kill if they were being killed, but kills the player otherwise. Unecessary treatment kills.

Is that called a Weak Doctor?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Think that’s a CPR Doctor

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/CPR_Doctor

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Weak doctor dies if they target scum.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ecco made me a white mage once, and it was so awesome. I was healing town and scum left right and centre.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Assassin in the Courts, a nightless Mafia variant for 6 players, is now open for sign-ups!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I will be running an expanded Dethy setup for 11 players as soon as the CYSR closes. :angel:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Still need a few more for Assassins.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Thinking from the slow signups we need a new GBS game...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just let Mafia die.

Or replace us all with bots that can simulate games from now on

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey Mafia-thread long time no see!

Hope everyone is well. Sorry to show up after just drifting away to focus on other endeavors, but I found myself having less time to devote as I would like to this game.

Can't say I'll be joining any new games necessarily but I actually have some questions on how to run a live game.

I've been an English teacher two years now in France and coming on my third year I think it would be great fun to run a game in class, it'd be a fun way to get them to speak in English (they know the game as Loup-Garou here, aka werewolf). But I have no idea how that wold be done.

Now what worries me a little is the size of my classes. If I'm look I'll have less than 20 kids but I normally have been 20 and 25. That's probably already too large? So would I try to run to games concurrently and wouldn't that make me just regret teaching to begin with?

I would ideally like to set-up the thing after watching The Thing or reading the novella it's based on in class so that they have an idea of the mistrust and paranoia that's supposed to be behind the game.

Any suggestions?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sit in a circle and get people to put their heads down for the night phases. And you just mod all the actions.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've done mafia with classes before. I found it easier to split them into two groups (it was a class of 40). Also I didn't do a lot of crazy roles since they're eighth graders and thus very dumb. But yeah, it worked alright. They liked pretending to kill each other and no one cheated (though the rule was at night you had to turn your backs and the scum basically stepped out - scum also had to be silent and just touch their victims).

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Little Mac posted:

they're eighth graders and thus very dumb.

can confirm, as an an eighth grader who is very dumb.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

One of the hardest parts of modding in person games is getting the scum to figure out who to kill since they can't really talk out loud during the night phase. At camp I used to walk around the circle making loud obnoxious noises so that the "I heard rustling next to me" argument wouldn't pop up.

For voting you can set a timer and let people come to consensus on who they want to vote out since it's obviously more chaotic live and counting votes as they happen is pretty difficult.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Lump Lord's game needs 4 more people. Commit your minds, bodies and souls to it.
Keanu Reeves, Yoda, Thanos and Barack Obama perform various fusion dances, the game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Max posted:

One of the hardest parts of modding in person games is getting the scum to figure out who to kill since they can't really talk out loud during the night phase. At camp I used to walk around the circle making loud obnoxious noises so that the "I heard rustling next to me" argument wouldn't pop up.

For voting you can set a timer and let people come to consensus on who they want to vote out since it's obviously more chaotic live and counting votes as they happen is pretty difficult.

Usually down through the scum pointing, and the mod walking around behind everyone - making noise - to confirm the victim by standing behind them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

Amoeba102 posted:

Sit in a circle and get people to put their heads down for the night phases. And you just mod all the actions.

This sounds doable. My biggest concern is what do the dead do? Do they continue to participate, are they excluded? I'm never supposed to have dead time in the class you know? This and the size of the class is what worries me the most.

The voting is supposed to be the main interest as they'll be attempting to construct their arguments in English. I imagine the language barrier will slow the action down somewhat.

A simple set-up would be x scum to x villagers with maybe a doctor and a cop?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This is the real problem with IRL mafia with a large group. People voted out early usually sit outside the circle and just watch, which can be boring and lame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IRL, just play ONUW or Coup or Resistance instead.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

IRL, just play ONUW or Coup or Resistance instead.

What are these games and can they be adapted easily enough as a English-practice tool?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What are these games and can they be adapted easily enough as a English-practice tool?
Resistance easily can. The rules are simple, can be explained with simple vocabulary and you can require everyone communicate entirely in English without losing too much. It plays between 5 to 10 players, sets up fast, doesn't require a moderator, and plays in about 30-45 minutes.

Coup is a bit more advanced, and ONUW is more advanced than that. I'd try Resistance first.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Just get them to bicker between themselves for nearly the whole time and then with two minutes to go they no-lynch on Day 1.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What do the dead do? Watch.

So instead play resistance or the King arthur themed version, avalon.
No one is eliminated, but voting and making arguments is still a thing. As is the secret informed minority.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Out of context, that is a terrifying statement.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Keep in mind this is for a group of ~20. For resistance you'd have to break them into smaller groups. ONUW would require less groups, probably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Max posted:

Keep in mind this is for a group of ~20. For resistance you'd have to break them into smaller groups. ONUW would require less groups, probably.
Resistance can play up to 10 (though it really is best at 5-6, IMO).

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
For kids, straight-up Mafia with maybe a Doc and Cop is really as crazy as you want to get. Get a deck of playing cards and write what the faces correspond to on a whiteboard, that's what has worked for me.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Out of context, that is a terrifying statement.

Thanks.

Resistance is not fun at 5 in my opinion. 7+ is they way i like it. But i always play with powers since I'm using avalon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Build a sound proof booth to act as a dead doc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Build a sound proof booth to act as a dead doc
Before you can play in my IRL Mafia game, you must learn ASL, so you can poo poo-talk the living players at night without them noticing.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Before you can play in my IRL Mafia game, you must learn ASL, so you can poo poo-talk the living players at night without them noticing.

:aslol:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

PMush Perfect posted:

My favorite ASL Module is Beyond Valor

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

Resistance seems doable, but the explaining the rules is going to take a good twenty minutes and then some because they are terrible at English. I do like the idea that they can self-moderate.

Amoeba102 posted:

Unless I can think of a fun enough alternative activity. If I make them read something they'll think it's a punishment.

Are cult set-ups good since no one ever dies or something? You just recruit people to join you? With such a large pool of players it could be interesting. Oh but wait... I suppose town does kill someone each day... hm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Assassin in the Courts has ended in a Noble/King victory! (Mostly.)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Dethy Memorial Police Academy Mafia, a dumb game for 11 brave souls, is now open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
one more to fill this game (a charming and lovable role in the form of some combination of Obama/Thanos/Yoda/Keanu Reeves flavor guaranteed!) ---> [Mafia] Yobomakeanos Mafia