Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok well you own a house
Not the kind of person legal aid was designed for
The legal aid I worked with didn’t even do real property law anyway so.

(Other than foreclosures obv which isn’t real property law really as it’s mostly statutory)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
have you considered taking a second mortgage and turning your house into a law degree?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You need to first get an attorney to figure out if the covenants are real and if whatever organization was formed correctly using the proper legal enchantment or ritual. Its entirely plausible guy noticed the poo poo in the deed and decided he loving hates chicken guy enough to spend the $$$ to have a lawyer draft some bullshit to push you around.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Here's a bit of inspirational reading for you, OP

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/23/world/europe/france-rural-urban-rooster.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hypothetically I do no think it would be impossible for a person to revive a dormant hoa in order to restrict certain property uses through hoa powers.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

have you considered taking a second mortgage and turning your house into a law degree?

Holy poo poo :vince:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ask your attorney about laches !

If the HOA hasn't been enforced for a long time then it may be either void or voidable. Again all depends on the specific documents and your local jurisdiction's law

but seriously yeah this is well past the point at which you need to talk to an attorney in your area.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ask your attorney about laches !

If the HOA hasn't been enforced for a long time then it may be either void or voidable. Again all depends on the specific documents and your local jurisdiction's law

but seriously yeah this is well past the point at which you need to talk to an attorney in your area.

the other thing is that if this guy doesn't have money and the guy complaining does, the actual law may not be relevant unless it's so very clear that filing a lawsuit would be sanctionable

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Yeah, I'd really rather not go to court if I can avoid it. My options are either figure out something to I can just tell his lawyer to kick rocks, or roll over and get rid of everything.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah, I'd really rather not go to court if I can avoid it. My options are either figure out something to I can just tell his lawyer to kick rocks, or roll over and get rid of everything.

Get a lawyer and have them tell his lawyer to kick rocks. If it doesn't go to court it probably won't be that expensive. If the neighbor figures out you will just roll over then you can expect to get called out on your paint colors next.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I mean it's also plausible the neighbor really did form an hoa or there was an existing one that was missed and this is entirely legal.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 16, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm still waiting to hear back from the title company as to why they think there is no CR.

Some new info I dug up though:

1) this dude isn't even part of my covenant! (if it is still active) He's part of the next one over. I'm in XXXXX #4 and he's XXXXX #3. I'm hoping that'll help if it comes to court.

2) I checked with some of my lawyer friends in town and nobody has even heard of this lady representing the neighbor. Did some digging and she's like 70 years old and has no physical practice. The neighbor is an older guy as well, so I'm guessing she's a friend of his and just wrote up that letter as a favor.

3) checked with some neighbors and a lot of them were not even given a copy of the CR when they bought.

4) as mentioned 100 times above, I don't think we're going to figure out if it's active without getting some lawyers to argue in front of a judge

So my plan as of now is to just do nothing basically. If I call their bluff I've got a 50/50 shot of getting out of this for free without lifting a finger, there's no point in me spending money on a lawyer yet until they actually do something. While I'm waiting for the blade to fall, I'm going to print up some letters to stuff in everyone's mail box to try and get a majority to agree to disband, just in case. Definitely going to name and shame this guy in the letter.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 16, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm still waiting to hear back from the title company as to why they think there is no CR.

Some new info I dug up though:

1) this dude isn't even part of my covenant! (if it is still active) He's part of the next one over. I'm in *snip*. I'm hoping that'll help if it comes to court.

2) I checked with some of my lawyer friends in town and nobody has even heard of this lady representing the neighbor. Did some digging and she's like 70 years old and has no physical practice. The neighbor is an older guy as well, so I'm guessing she's a friend of his and just wrote up that letter as a favor.

3) checked with some neighbors and a lot of them were not even given a copy of the CR when they bought.

4) as mentioned 100 times above, I don't think we're going to figure out if it's active without getting some lawyers to argue in front of a judge

So my plan as of now is to just do nothing basically. If I call their bluff I've got a 50/50 shot of getting out of this for free without lifting a finger, there's no point in me spending money on a lawyer yet until they actually do something. While I'm waiting for the blade to fall, I'm going to print up some letters to stuff in everyone's mail box to try and get a majority to agree to disband, just in case. Definitely going to name and shame this guy in the letter.

The HOA names are enough to google your location (if you're in a city with a man's first name) if you care about someone finding that out.

And it looks like chickens require permits where you are - are you alright with "the man"?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Devor posted:

The HOA names are enough to google your location (if you're in a city with a man's first name) if you care about someone finding that out.

And it looks like chickens require permits where you are - are you alright with "the man"?

meh, I can snip them but I'm not super worried about it. Also you must be looking at the wrong place because chickens are totally legal here with no permits.

edit: at least that's what everything I've read has said. what did you find?

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 16, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ghostnuke posted:

meh, I can snip them but I'm not super worried about it. Also you must be looking at the wrong place because chickens are totally legal here with no permits.

edit: at least that's what everything I've read has said. what did you find?

Just what comes up when you google the city name and chicken coop. I read it a little too quickly, permitted was just the adjective meaning “allowed” rather than requiring permits.

There is a limit of 20 female chickens max, or 1 per 500 sf lot size, whichever is lower.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HOAs laugh at your silly ordinances

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

HOAs laugh at your silly ordinances

I was looking to see if it was one of those wacky places that have a chicken coop bill of rights that invalidates restrictive covenants about chickens.

Sort of like how the FCC regulations prevent HOAs from banning satellite dishes. Yes it’s still on the books at the HOA, but no the lawyer said we can’t enforce it. My state has something similar for solar panels - the HOA can’t prevent you from installing solar attached to your house.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s state law tho not ordinances

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Devor posted:

I was looking to see if it was one of those wacky places that have a chicken coop bill of rights that invalidates restrictive covenants about chickens.

That's pretty cool.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A friend of mine just got an email from a former apartment complex she lived in stating that after an audit, they found out she didnt pay her "exit fees" totaling $490. She moved out 3 years ago. This obviously feels like bullshit but the amount is small enough that you wouldn't really want to hire a lawyer unless it's a small amount. What's a good course of action? I feel like this has passed a statue of limitations of some sort.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

seiferguy posted:

I feel like this has passed a statue of limitations of some sort.

I feel the earth is flat

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

:siren::siren:UPDATES:siren::siren:

After talking with my realtor, it's looking like she might not have ever had us sign the the page that would have had the attachments to the title :lol:

She said that the title company definitely sent it to her, but that she has no record of sending it to us. I checked, and I have no record of receiving it. I'm quite surprised that she's admitting this to me because wouldn't that open her up to all kinds of liability? She's definitely scrambling because she's trying to get the title company to represent us anyway "in the interests of saving their business relationship" or something like that. None of this will change the possible suit from the neighbor but it looks like I might have 1) some help from a lawyer for free OR 2) someone to blame this all on.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

A friend of mine just got an email from a former apartment complex she lived in stating that after an audit, they found out she didnt pay her "exit fees" totaling $490. She moved out 3 years ago. This obviously feels like bullshit but the amount is small enough that you wouldn't really want to hire a lawyer unless it's a small amount. What's a good course of action? I feel like this has passed a statue of limitations of some sort.

Your local laws may vary and I definitely ANAL but I imagine they were required to deal with this when sorting out her security deposit and can gently caress all the way off.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I definitely ANAL

Please can we change the name of the thread?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

Lawyer (but not your lawyer) (I don't know if I need to PM a mod and verify or something) but in most jurisdictions, purely "punitive" fines are illegal, as are excessive fines/fees. It depends wildly on where you live, as some localities are very friendly towards tenants in this regard, and others favor the landlord.

Your friend can ask for a breakdown, explaining how the complex came to that amount. They should be able to provide an itemized list.

Also, the SoL may have indeed actually lapsed: for instance, California's is two years for this sort of thing.

I would honestly have to have more info to say what you might be able to do, but starting with a formal business letter to the complex, clearly stating the disagreement with the charges is a place to start. Some templates are available online. Be specific as to why your friend doesn't feel like they should have to pay the charges. Have your friend gather any supporting evidence that might indicate they signed over the apartment and the complex took the keys, signed any other paperwork, etc. Have them send the letter and give a period of time (10 days or so) for the complex to respond. Insist on only corresponding in writing, and document the correspondence.

In the end, if your friend is forced to pay, they may be able to recover later. Hope that helps.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yes. We need a scanned copy of your bar card.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
and you're behind on your dues

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
You need to be jumped into the SA bar.
Please report to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865334
Bring documentation of:
Bar card,
LSAT score(s),
law school,
debt load,
current employment and salary,
a current substance abuse evaluation,
marital status plus names and genders of misters/mistresses,
vacation homes,
similarities to fictional serial killers,
your favorite musical theatre character
and
which computer games you've done spreadsheets for.

And T_______________needs to know if you're Jewish or not.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

Lawyer (but not your lawyer) (I don't know if I need to PM a mod and verify or something) but in most jurisdictions, purely "punitive" fines are illegal, as are excessive fines/fees. It depends wildly on where you live, as some localities are very friendly towards tenants in this regard, and others favor the landlord.

Your friend can ask for a breakdown, explaining how the complex came to that amount. They should be able to provide an itemized list.

Also, the SoL may have indeed actually lapsed: for instance, California's is two years for this sort of thing.

I would honestly have to have more info to say what you might be able to do, but starting with a formal business letter to the complex, clearly stating the disagreement with the charges is a place to start. Some templates are available online. Be specific as to why your friend doesn't feel like they should have to pay the charges. Have your friend gather any supporting evidence that might indicate they signed over the apartment and the complex took the keys, signed any other paperwork, etc. Have them send the letter and give a period of time (10 days or so) for the complex to respond. Insist on only corresponding in writing, and document the correspondence.

In the end, if your friend is forced to pay, they may be able to recover later. Hope that helps.

Friend, in these here parts we don't take kindly to nosy out-of-towners just walking in here and helping people.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can an employer in Texas force an employee to share their tips with other employees? When is a tip yours vs something the company has any say over?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can an employer in Texas force an employee to share their tips with other employees? When is a tip yours vs something the company has any say over?

https://twc.texas.gov/news/efte/tip_pooling.html

That should give you a good starting place.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Are you really getting pissy about tipping out?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Atticus_1354 posted:

Short answer: it depends.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Generally, if tipped employees are paid over minimum wage, tips can be pooled among all non management staff.
If tipped employees are paid less than minimum, tips can be pooled only among tipped employees and the tips up until the employee reaches minimum wage can't be pooled.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thanatosian posted:

I think that is a highly fact-specific question that hinges on whether the loving management is trying to horn in on the tips for the people actually doing work

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Devor posted:

I think that is a highly fact-specific question that hinges on whether the loving management is trying to horn in on the tips for the people actually doing work

This was actually how I read the question too, since that happens a TON here for some reason, because they know the job market is hard and people are willing to grin and bear it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

It's Texas, right? If a manager tries to take your tips, can't you just shoot them?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah it’s like Cattle Doctrine or something

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shootout at the Golden Corral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twc.texas.gov/news/efte/tip_pooling.html

That should give you a good starting place.

Thanks I have passed that along.

Thanatosian posted:

Well no since I'm not working for tips. But the friend of a friend is more worried about non working coworkers. Tipping out isnt the same as tip pooling.