Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1151614055729246209

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1151618681111285760

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/eponawest/status/1151579687153389568

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Imagine caring about this?

I have to give a Mea Culpa on Marrianne. She made Dave Rubin look like a fool on his show which I can get behind.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Super hype to not watch this!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Imagine caring about this?

They're trying to cover their asses. About as effectively as they usually do.

quote:

I have to give a Mea Culpa on Marrianne. She made Dave Rubin look like a fool on his show which I can get behind.

Not hard to do, but I'm glad she came out looking good. I'll give it a watch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I still don’t get how the Koch funded healthcare analysis that showed M4A would save $2 trillion dollars even made it past a rough draft, much less was presented to the media.

What don't you get? They convinced white trash that they would benefit from tax breaks to billionaires, they can convince the same human detritus of anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As down as I am on Warren, Yang is even worse in terms of having a bunch of signs that he isn't anything approaching a reliable advocate for poor and working class Americans. The nature of his UBI in particular is very telling about his own worldview. I at least trust Warren to be a left-leaning Dem, even if that's woefully inadequate and much worse than Bernie.

But unlike Warren, Yang doesn't garner enough support to actually be a concern during the primary (and this is also the same reason I don't worry about Williamson at all).

joepinetree posted:

I'm sure that the people who spent the last year and a half worrying about minority support for Bernie will now start to do the same for Warren.

Yeah, their lack of commenting on this really stands out. I haven't heard a peep from Warren supporters about this. The most generous possible interpretation of their silence is that they're just total rubes who viscerally react more negatively to the optics of Bernie, as an old white man.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Name a single thing Yang besides his "UBI" has proposed, without googling.

And name a single thing Buttigieg has even proposed.

They arent real candidates.

e: who the gently caress even is Bullock

god drat do these also-rans need to go the gently caress back to a Senate race

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yang wants to give powerpoints. Buttigieg wants to hire lots of expensive consultants.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yang wants to give powerpoints. Buttigieg wants to hire lots of expensive consultants.

Buttigieg wants to make the spreadsheets that those powerpoints will be based on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

What don't you get? They convinced white trash that they would benefit from tax breaks to billionaires, they can convince the same human detritus of anything.

Aw hell yeah I love undisguised classism and calling poor people dumb as poo poo

Because that's what this is

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, their lack of commenting on this really stands out. I haven't heard a peep from Warren supporters about this. The most generous possible interpretation of their silence is that they're just total rubes who viscerally react more negatively to the optics of Bernie, as an old white man.

What is there to comment on? No one has, as far as I know, ever claimed Warren is the preferred candidate of black voters. Warren's support is overwhelmingly white and college-educated, skewing female. Has anyone ever claimed otherwise?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Oh does it basically boil down to "capitalism is about to gently caress everyone even harder, hope y'all are ready for it" and then celebrating that fact like he's Thomas loving Friedman?

yuuuuuuuuuup, mix in some generic 'cities will have to adjust for this new paradigm' without any actual solutions other than 'mmmmaaaaayhaps a form of UBI (but no welfare)'

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Unoriginal Name posted:

He was mad about China ignoring IP rules

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

mcmagic posted:

She was great, but let's be real, an empty chair would have done the same thing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Marianne goes on everything because she's an alpha ready to trample the hosts for their lack of understanding for growing peace in the world. Her appearance on Chapo was exactly this. Yang goes on these things because he agrees with Rubin.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

He also proposed making every single law expire automatically after ten years.

His non-UBI policies get virtually no coverage, but about half of them are batshit.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Unoriginal Name posted:

god drat do these also-rans need to go the gently caress back to a Senate race

Hes going to ban circumcision

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Z. Autobahn posted:

What is there to comment on? No one has, as far as I know, ever claimed Warren is the preferred candidate of black voters. Warren's support is overwhelmingly white and college-educated, skewing female. Has anyone ever claimed otherwise?
Some of her supporters are the same Hillary people who commented on Bernie's following being solely white "bros", that's what they're getting at. Their hypocrisy isn't exactly shocking.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

So... waiting a mere ten years for the purge?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

His non-UBI policies get virtually no coverage, but about half of them are batshit.

gently caress I didn't know he was the purge candidate, I may have to vote for him after all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

By splitting the tiers this way, Biden only has to face one top tier candidate, so PYF and he's got a 33% chance of meeting them.
This "No Kiddietable" mindset is protecting a bad debater like Biden from candidates that matter, but as we learned last debate anyone can go for it and Harris was polling at <2%(?) when she delivered the Canned Zinger of the Night (tm) so even if this protects Biden from Sanders plenty of people have shown themselves capable.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Debate drawing?

What are they going to do? Use lottery balls like it's the nba draft?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Charlz Guybon posted:

Debate drawing?

What are they going to do? Use lottery balls like it's the nba draft?
Did it for debate 1.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Did it for debate 1.

They should replace Delaney with LeBron in the draw then.

Turns 35 in December and will have a lot more interesting things to say. :colbert:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Warren may be underwater with black voters, but black voters went strongly for Hillary in the 2016 primaries and Biden is in front among them now, so I'm not sure the lack of support now portends a weakness in the general

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

They should replace Delaney with LeBron in the draw then.

Turns 35 in December and will have a lot more interesting things to say. :colbert:

I didn't realize I'm older than LeBron until now and I'm not thrilled at the fact.

goethe.cx posted:

Warren may be underwater with black voters, but black voters went strongly for Hillary in the 2016 primaries and Biden is in front among them now, so I'm not sure the lack of support now portends a weakness in the general

Hillary underperformed significantly with black and Latino voters in the general, though - like, to a degree where voter suppression can't possibly account for all of it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Unoriginal Name posted:

He is the sitting governor of Montana. His claim to relevancy is that he has done some decent stuff yet the Trumpy white voters of his state like him.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Aw hell yeah I love undisguised classism and calling poor people dumb as poo poo

Because that's what this is

Poor people didn't vote for Trump, IIRC his typical voter was in the $70k/yr income bracket. Culturally trashy rather than economically trashy, if you will.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Majorian posted:

I didn't realize I'm older than LeBron until now and I'm not thrilled at the fact.

Hillary underperformed significantly with black and Latino voters in the general, though - like, to a degree where voter suppression can't possibly account for all of it.

I know, which is why I’m saying that the candidate who gets the most black and Latino support in the primary might still be a weak candidate in the general. After all, Bernie Would Have Won so that’s an indication that we shouldn’t extrapolate black and Latino preferences now to the general

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

I know, which is why I’m saying that the candidate who gets the most black and Latino support in the primary might still be a weak candidate in the general. After all, Bernie Would Have Won so that’s an indication that we shouldn’t extrapolate black and Latino preferences now to the general

I mean, sure, but I think people's point in bringing it up is that there seems to be way less concern trolling from the media over Warren underperforming with POC voters thus far, than there was for Bernie.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Oh well sure. I thought there was a further point being made that somehow minority support now translated to minority support in the general and i was like lol no

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Many of the same people supporting Warren were/are the same ones who frequently express "concerns" about Sanders and minority support. There has been a distinct absence of the same talking point that was (and still is) so commonly used against Sanders.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

papa horny michael posted:

Her foundation Project Angel Food has cared for hiv/aids patients for longer than the u.s. government chose to consider them as people.

quote:

“The AIDS virus is not more powerful than God,” Williamson told a group of HIV positive disciples, according to a 1992 Los Angeles Times expose, written when Williamson was still in the early days of her fame.

For years, Williamson, Hay, and others told gay men that they could cure themselves if only they would properly visualize themselves getting well. Not just gay men, of course; people with cancer and other terminal illnesses, people struggling with obesity, people with chronic health conditions—to all of these, Williamson and her ilk said that they had the power to heal themselves, science be damned.

The results were predictable. Some people went off their medication, since taking medicine showed you didn’t really believe that you could cure yourself, and if you lack perfect faith, it’s not going to work. Some even died.

She also tells women facing postpartum depression to forget medication and pray, and spoke out against increased efforts to screen women for depression rather than just ignoring them.

Man, these are some real loving progressive values right here. Why are so many of you so enamored with an obvious, capitalist grifter? She’s only running to sell books and speaking fees, even if she does impress you by saying the exact same poo poo that’s been said here a thousand times.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 18, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

She also tells women facing post party’s depression to forget medication and pray, and spoke out against increased efforts to screen women for depression rather than just ignoring them.

Man, these are some real loving progressive values right here. Why are so many of you so enamored with an obvious, capitalist grifter? She’s only running to sell books and speaking fees, even if she does impress you by saying the exact same poo poo that’s been said here a thousand times.

Would you also disqualify any candidate who supported Republicans and their inhumane AIDS policies in the 80s and early 90s?

Or is that somehow not as bad?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pinky Artichoke posted:

He is the sitting governor of Montana. His claim to relevancy is that he has done some decent stuff yet the Trumpy white voters of his state like him.

Poor people didn't vote for Trump, IIRC his typical voter was in the $70k/yr income bracket. Culturally trashy rather than economically trashy, if you will.

Nobody has ever used white trash to refer to the rich.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'm impressed by the material support of food, and rides, she's been organizing for decades. Anything you say about her wishy washy bs can be transposed onto all the candidates, except for Bernie.
And a majority of the shitheels around back then, of the political and medical communities, were telling aids/hiv people that they were going to die and deserved it.

earlier you were repeating junk about her being an anti-vaxxer of the same variety used against the saint Jill Stein. do you also have concerns about the anti-Semite Jeremy Corbin?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Turns out Warren really is a Cherokee princess!

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1151666231176335360

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Does anyone have a non-bullshit answer for how they can support Bernie Sanders first and a grifter who makes her money on anti-vaxx and anti-mental health conspiracies?

For all the ranting about lack of access to health care that goes on here, you folks really don’t loving get the damage that is done by people who convince people to stop taking medicine and pay her instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Aaaaaahhhhh as proud as I am to have Neera Tanden the first person (I know of) to block me, I really really really want to respond to some of those comments.