Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Frog Act posted:

did it? buying new things when life sucks is really cathartic even bearing in mind the blood soaked horror of manufacturing and the relentless commodification of every aspect of human life. I bought a new 2DSXL with Ocarina of Time and Pokemon Crystal and I will admit that the consumptive moment when I actually bought it was disturbingly satisfying and now I have something to do during down time at work. has your new phone made work slightly more bearable?

a little; it's been so long since I had a phone that wasn't dropped several dozen times (by me, of course lol). i got an iphone 7, so i have to get used to the fact that i can't charge it and listen to any audio at the same time :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I dunno I never use CBD, doesn’t do dick for me and it feels like a waste of money, but I can definitely vouch for THC being a tremendously useful and important tool in my mental health toolbox. idk what my typical dose is because I’m in an illegal state but since I started working having my oil pen ready to go as soon as I walk out of the building is an enormous motivator + relief. It also really helps me exercise and sleep, THC is the absolute best. i get avoiding discussing dosages of drugs in general or even just the whole topic but talking about THC or CBD doses is the least dangerous version of that discussion since the absolute worst case scenario is an extremely long nap.

interesting. I usually feel lovely when I’m unmedicated but for now, suboxone is powerful enough I don’t have any real anxiety and my depression is weirdly ignorable. I’m tapering under doctors supervision though and I’m scared of when my dose goes down below a certain threshold and it becomes harder and harder to cope, and I’m wondering if CBD will ameliorate that. in the past I’ve taken absolutely enormous doses of it and felt nothing though.

I agree it’s not always a good idea to get high as gently caress, like my natural inclination is to hit my oil pen first thing when I roll out of bed, and I still do when I have the day off, but I’ve quit smoking in the morning since I don’t want to be high at work. I think it’s not so much being stoned that can be bad for mental health as it is making poor decisions about when you should be stoned

I agree with you. I also live in an illegal state, so I dont know about dosages. I went through a period where I would just spend all my time out of work high off my butt just to remove all the stress I built up at work that day. I realized that doing so was affecting my relationship with my significant other and I realized I started feeling like I NEEDED weed to function or have a good time.
Now, I take CBD in the morning before I go to work, and I may smoke up or have a drink in the afternoon, but only for fun and not relief.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Its Coke posted:

I think an unwritten rule of a mental health thread is that you should only be able to talk about CBD and not THC

I would prefer people talk about it then not talk about it.

As stated in the OP under the CSPAM specific rule, always tell your doctor about any substances you're on. They need to know. Similarly, if you want to share with the thread, by all means do so. Just don't ask for actual medical advice!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On a related note I started gabapentin yesterday. Got the first good night's sleep I've had in weeks and did some furious dreaming, but holy rear end I woke up in the morning staggering around and feeling drunk.

Need to take that a wee bit earlier in the night. Still good stuff, I feel normal today :)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Chokes McGee posted:

On a related note I started gabapentin yesterday. Got the first good night's sleep I've had in weeks and did some furious dreaming, but holy rear end I woke up in the morning staggering around and feeling drunk.

Need to take that a wee bit earlier in the night. Still good stuff, I feel normal today :)

Yeah I have taken Gabapentin for a while for anxiety. Doctors seem to be prescribing it over the standard Xanax or Klonopin. Works well for me.

How many MGs do you take?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feel worthless. I really wish he hadn’t bothered to dump me. What’s even the point, it certainly doesn’t make me feel happy and I doubt he feels great about it either.

for this much at least I can say the point is that he didn’t care enough to stay around. it sucks now but it’s better to not stay attached to someone like that.

I can’t help with the feeling worthless part because that’s me for the past 20 years too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

succ posted:

Yeah I have taken Gabapentin for a while for anxiety. Doctors seem to be prescribing it over the standard Xanax or Klonopin. Works well for me.

How many MGs do you take?

300? I think? I'm hypersensitive to most meds so I started out with the smallest dose they gave me, and I'm really glad I did. ALTHOUGH THIS DOSAGE MAY VARY AND DON'T USE IT FOR YOUR OWN MEASUREMENTS ASK A DOCTOR FOR GODS' SAKE

(I'm trying to both get more consistent about the above and not be so heavy about it)

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How long does it usually take to start feeling lovely if you don’t take SSRIs? I missed 3? Lexapro doses over the weekend because my cat was sick (she’s okay now but we spent several late nights at the emergency vet) and I couldn’t get to the pharmacy in time. I felt really lovely yesterday, really irritable and my sleep schedule has been terrible but I don’t know if that’s from missing the doses or just because I had a lovely weekend. I picked up my refill this morning thankfully

I'm on 30mg a day and it took me about five days-ish to notice the effects (I forgot to get refills for like a week and a half), but my discontinuation symptoms were dizziness, a bit of nausea, and mild headaches. Could be be a combo of both, tbh, because that's the magic of psych drugs that take awhile to take effect. It's definitely not as punishing as Effexor, who will make its absence known.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I'm on 30mg a day and it took me about five days-ish to notice the effects (I forgot to get refills for like a week and a half), but my discontinuation symptoms were dizziness, a bit of nausea, and mild headaches. Could be be a combo of both, tbh, because that's the magic of psych drugs that take awhile to take effect. It's definitely not as punishing as Effexor, who will make its absence known.

Yes, yes it will. It took all of one day to know Effexor wasn't for me. I went off of it on my birthday, and I spent my entire birthday meal alternating between nibbling on food when I could and running the restroom to make sure it didn't come back up.

Some people swear by Effexor. I don't know how those people do it, but more power to them if it works with their biological systems.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
This just in, an update to the OP:

quote:

i expect a certain amount of shitposting and general cspam dumbassery and would be disappointed if we didn't get it. however please don't:

* request info on dosages of any kind of drug. (why would you ask the internet about this lol) Neither SA nor myself can do this, it's a liability and you will be probated, probably. Talking about dosages and your experiences on them are fine, just don't ask for which ones to use.
* refer to psychology as a "sham" science or tell people therapy doesn't work
* tell people all meds are terrible or to stop taking them or not bother to start
* espouse self medication over meds—drinking, pot, heroin, etc.
* make fun of anyone's mental illness (especially me you shitheads)
* post lol nothing matters and don't bother trying and bullshit like that
* generally be a dick towards anyone genuinely hurting and in need of help

Hopefully this will be more consistent going forward. I probably won't probate unless I ask nicely and the person persists anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Word. I’m only on 10mg so it could have just been stress causing me to feel lovely but who knows lol

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Yes, yes it will. It took all of one day to know Effexor wasn't for me. I went off of it on my birthday, and I spent my entire birthday meal alternating between nibbling on food when I could and running the restroom to make sure it didn't come back up.

Some people swear by Effexor. I don't know how those people do it, but more power to them if it works with their biological systems.

im on cymbalta, effexor's cousin that works really well for nerve pain as an adjunct

there was a bit of weird poo poo the first week or two where i could feel the brain poo poo moving around in my head, but beyond that its like any other SSRI or whatever ive taken. i dont look forward to ever coming off of it, but if i never come off of it, then worrying about the horrific withdrawls from discontinuation isnt rational or needed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Word. I’m only on 10mg so it could have just been stress causing me to feel lovely but who knows lol

lmao your avatar

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

im on cymbalta, effexor's cousin that works really well for nerve pain as an adjunct

there was a bit of weird poo poo the first week or two where i could feel the brain poo poo moving around in my head, but beyond that its like any other SSRI or whatever ive taken. i dont look forward to ever coming off of it, but if i never come off of it, then worrying about the horrific withdrawls from discontinuation isnt rational or needed.

Make sure you ask your doctor about tritating down if you do.

Cymbalta was hilarious*, I woke up screaming at one point with my wife in a headlock and that's when I thought, hmm, might be time to stop taking this one

(* not hilarious at all)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Make sure you ask your doctor about tritating down if you do.

Cymbalta was hilarious*, I woke up screaming at one point with my wife in a headlock and that's when I thought, hmm, might be time to stop taking this one

(* not hilarious at all)

oh yeah if i ever come off it i might just pre-check into a facility somewhere lmao

but hey it doesnt matter how covered with sharp rocks and glass the shore is if you never stop swimming :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

lmao your avatar

Lol thanks. Another goon (I forget who tbh) made it for me when I requested an av combining Elvis Costello and JRPGs

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol thanks. Another goon (I forget who tbh) made it for me when I requested an av combining Elvis Costello and JRPGs

honestly Hellvis Costello is a pretty dope UN too

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Did anyone else realize through therapy that a lot of what you consider normal behavior comes from TV and movies?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Flavius Aetass posted:

Did anyone else realize through therapy that a lot of what you consider normal behavior comes from TV and movies?

story of my life (and The Cable Guy)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Flavius Aetass posted:

like people having large groups of friends, doing poo poo daily, having money to do things, going into debt?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

honestly Hellvis Costello is a pretty dope UN too

but Hellvis Costhello is right tehre

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zyla posted:

but Hellvis Costhello is right tehre

Hellvis Costhello - My Flame Is True

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

succ posted:

like people having large groups of friends, doing poo poo daily, having money to do things, going into debt?

for me personally i realized that not having had a real father figure and not having dated much before my early 20s, a lot of what I came to accept as normal relationship behavior wasn't

not major stuff. more that the gaps in my upbringing were filled by the media I consumed without realizing it

Flavius Aetass has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Jul 17, 2019

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

Yeah, and this sort of thing is just so loving pernicious too. When the rational part of your brain looks at something in isolation, like Leave it to Beaver, it's easy to dissect that it's really overbearing and fake. However, that with a hundred of other shows, movies, cartoons, news articles, images, books, everything that seem to subtly create that notion of what "normal" looks like. It hits really hard when it comes to the "normal" progression of what your life should look like; dating, getting married, buying a house, vacations, kids, travel, retirement. You can know the circumstances that lead to not owning a house or some poo poo like that, but there's still that undercurrent of "I'm loving it up". Like a mold that grows under the tiles of your bathroom and in your walls, weakening it from the inside before you can even know there's something wrong.

Then depression and anxiety bust through the walls like Kool-aid man and spread their lovely plague everywhere!

Edit: Another thought on the media thing. It's not much, but I really appreciate how in Adventure Time Finn's dad just sucks. I haven't watched for a long time, but I like that he wasn't evil or overwrought, just a really lovely dad, and that Finn found family in his friends and adoptive parents. I know kid me would have wanted to see that sort of thing.

Sanguinary Novel has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Jul 17, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's exhausting failing quiz after quiz in one class where I feel like I both study a lot but not nearly enough. I never understand the formula sheet, it's like all the knowledge exits my brain the instant I sit down to take the test. When I try to recall looking at the problems I can remember being there but when I try and think of what was on the screen/paper infront of me it's....all fuzzy and only half there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flavius Aetass posted:

for me personally i realized that not having had a real father figure and not having dated much before my early 20s, a lot of what I came to accept as normal relationship behavior wasn't

not major stuff. more that the gaps in my upbringing were filled by the media I consumed without realizing it

hoo boy. let me tell you about my hillbilly parents who ended up with middle class money and no idea how the actual outside works

lil chokes was savagely bullied in high school because he had no idea how regular social interaction or indeed anything outside the home worked and now my nephew is getting the same treatment :sigh:

in better news, MY WIFE and I finished our first session of Couch to 5K today :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
my dad's one of the few people that actually BOOTSTRAPPED his way to a better life and all it took was being away from his wife and kids for 75% of their existence

I actually still love him but I made it clear how I felt about my mom and he's gonna defend his wife, that's just who he is :shrug:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
there are worse traits than that

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

It's exhausting failing quiz after quiz in one class where I feel like I both study a lot but not nearly enough. I never understand the formula sheet, it's like all the knowledge exits my brain the instant I sit down to take the test. When I try to recall looking at the problems I can remember being there but when I try and think of what was on the screen/paper infront of me it's....all fuzzy and only half there.

does your school have an office of student accessibility? they might be able to get you test accommodations to help you overcome testing issues if you can find a way to articulate them medically, and student health can help with that

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

If y'all dont have a pet and are in any way feeling bad I recommend getting one. My cats and my dog make me feel like the best person in the world no matter how lovely my day was.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

If y'all dont have a pet and are in any way feeling bad I recommend getting one. My cats and my dog make me feel like the best person in the world no matter how lovely my day was.

Same

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

yup

i've had some success in deprogrammed myself by reading a bunch of history and stuff and realizing how weird and hosed up the society we live in is

now i dissociate all the time tho so your mileage may very

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel like I avoid my cats as much as any person when i'm in a really bad way. I bet having a furry cuddle friend is pretty good for a lot of mental health stuff, but when I'm unwell and vulnerable, just feeding them and myself is about the peak of what's possible for me.

But if you haven't tried it, it's probably worth it to make your way to a shelter and meet with some critters to see if it gets you in a better head space though.

I just loving love to isolate myself when i'm unwell and i apparently don't make an exception for cute critters vOv I figure I can't be alone there.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ugato posted:

for this much at least I can say the point is that he didn’t care enough to stay around. it sucks now but it’s better to not stay attached to someone like that.

I can’t help with the feeling worthless part because that’s me for the past 20 years too.

I just don't know, he's done so much for me and I've known him for so long. I just feel miserable since it's probably all my fault.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

I feel like I avoid my cats as much as any person when i'm in a really bad way. I bet having a furry cuddle friend is pretty good for a lot of mental health stuff, but when I'm unwell and vulnerable, just feeding them and myself is about the peak of what's possible for me.

But if you haven't tried it, it's probably worth it to make your way to a shelter and meet with some critters to see if it gets you in a better head space though.

I just loving love to isolate myself when i'm unwell and i apparently don't make an exception for cute critters vOv I figure I can't be alone there.

I feel as though cats would understand if their human needs some alone time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I will sometimes kick my cats out of my room when I want to have decent sleep. they are friends in the winter though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm in therapy and taking meds. Just getting that out of the way.

There are tweets about what would one do during the rise of the Nazis. I'm painfully aware that I would have been disappeared early on for mental deficiencies and ideological impurities. Part of me knows that makes it important to be active, but most of me reverts back to run and hide. That's a trauma response, I know it's a trauma response. The parts that are terrified are ashamed of being terrified.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Whenever I get really hungry, I start feeling down (over nothing in particular) and thinking about wanting to die. My jobs is physical and hot so this happens several times a week. I should probably talk to my family doctor about this.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

trump really got me down. I can deal with him being a piece of poo poo racist, whatever. But the fact that he can run on that, and win, is making me really sad. i hate the loving electoral college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

I just don't know, he's done so much for me and I've known him for so long. I just feel miserable since it's probably all my fault.

I’m a fan of plans and within that acceptance that a plan won’t work because I’m broke brained and why would anything good happen but however if it does, cool. it at least provides a guide or place to go towards and usually you can look back and say while doing this I learned this other thing.

having been gaslighted and also being around people with dimentia I can say writing things down to say I’m doing these things that most people would qualify as positive as a means to show progress or effort or hell even reality goes a long way. for you. it helps you with confidence that despite any mistakes there are positives within our lives that our brains will overlook or forget. Ok, so I was a jerk yesterday because my small business is soul crushing and I’m really struggle to deal with it so I got pretty unstable and lost all my patience, or I cried for about 20’minutes and know how hard it is to be around that but I did checks notes: come over to fix your toilet, took us out to dinner 5 times last month, sent 15 pictures of our kid, took your dog for 3 walks and went for 10 walks myself this past week. I listened to 8 self help podcasts. that way you can say “I’m trying”. I’ll find ways to do more but at least I did this and it’s written down.

of course my sad brain says yeah well whatever man, what’s the point people do poo poo like that all the time? why you ocd about it? what kind of effort is that! you could have done three more things or the one time you got upset negated all the good, but that record tends to help there too for when the broke brain stops and you get back to reality most of the time.