Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What’s a boat donkey?

Also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ship's company.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

he snuck into the morgue and made a cast of the body, then left concrete replicas of it around the camp to haunt them.

This is actually my favorite line from a really loving strong page in the idiot thread.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bird cooch posted:

I reached out to one of my old buddies to try and get the whole story. I wasn't around for parts of it firsthand and I'm relying on memory from 2003-2004-ish so this may get an update at some point.

For all of his faults which are multitude, dirty Joe was an amazing dancer in almost every style. And super disarming for a wild desert meth redneck. At this point dirty Joe had become a plane captain, and we had received a couple of fresh pilots mid tour. One of which was not unattractive very plain, and a total cherry.

Anywho we were into the sauce hard, and everybody was having a good time and not feeling any pain that's for sure. We have this informal game where if we could find our CO or our DIVO in port they would buy us a round, pat us all on our shoulder and then melt Into the night to hide from the dirty enlisted heathens. it's not like they didn't play the game. we could usually find the one of them on the first day pretty readily posted up somewhere where he knew we'd be to informally treat, but after that they all scattered pretty hard away from the landing area where we were concentrated. Well during one of these adventures a big gang of us probably 20 strong stumbled into a Italian restaurant / bar and discovered half of our pilots and no senior enlisted (fun haters) in sight. And it was the younger half too, we had had a couple of them show up at our barracks Christmas parties and other ridiculousness so it's not like we hadn't been fairly drunk together in a controled-ish situation before.

This resulted in a very ad hoc blending of our groups for the 30 or 40 minutes that we were in the bar and when we left to continue the party a few of them where heading in our direction as well towards the four-story dancehall complex. if you've been to Singapore you'll know this place called the four floors of whores informally. it's down the street from the orange blossom motel and a couple blocks away from one of the big Irish pubs that always becomes a central location during a port call.

so most of us are e3s or fresh e4s. there would have been a couple of e-5s but they were definitely dirtbag e-5s so most of us had a hard libo cut at midnight to be back at the boats. so only a few people had hotel rooms except those that were banging boat donkeys and most of us were just trying to get as shithouseed as humanly possible before we had to get back on the boat, throw up, and pass out in our racks.

What happened next was an hour or two of giddy debauchery, shots, prostitutes desperately trying to get 60 bucks for a toss in a bathroom stall and dirty Joe just tearing up the dance floor. More than once we had noticed dirty Joe throwing down with the Cherry and everybody thought it was, you know, basically hilarious because this gal was tossed and he was rooster cogburn drunk. Nothing untoward but had any senior enlisted or officers who had joined the military for any reason other than to be fighter pilots had seen them they would have been very very upset.

At some point we started losing people to prostitutes and alcohol poisoning and random incestuous hookups the way that only a military unit can do, so nobody noticed that Joe is gone until it was time to start throwing people in cabs. We didn't leave any of our folks on the field, everybody made it back before liberty was called.

Except Joe. We straight fuckin lost Joe.

It was creeping up on 11:45 and while Joe was a brother-in-arms we weren't going to sacrifice the entire unit to recover his body. He's been in trouble before he be in trouble again there's only so much you can do. So with the valiant dirtbag e5s and the few e-4s who were granted overnight privilege vowing to continue the search, we retired to scramble into taxicabs and desperately try and get through the turnstiles before they started taking names. Being a minute late was just as bad as not showing up that night as far as command was concerned.

So as we are standing there waiting to get on the boat 5 minutes after we have turned into theoretical pumpkins although on the safe side of the fence and here comes a ashen-faced E5 with happy looking, rumpled, shoeless, dirty Joe in tow.

he sets Joe down on the ground well away from everybody else goes up and has a word with whoever was Manning the gangway onto the liberty boats and marches Joe directly on board. we managed to get on the same liberty boat but it was pretty obvious from his positioning that we were not allowed to talk to him. This isn't the first time Joe has been in trouble, but he's always managed to skate off with his skin intact.

We get back to the boat Joe decides of his own volition not to come out the last day or two days or whatever it was and immediately gets sent mess cranking (temporary duty working in the ship's galley serving food or washing dishes etcetera), and has his rack is moved out of our little pack of line rat racks. Anytime somebody questioned him about it he would respond with "I can't talk about it bro", a stupid crooked smile and the sort of exaggerated tweaker shrug thing he had going on.

Now nothing stays a secret forever of course so within a few weeks we find out that he was.... Picked up in a hotel room filled with an "unnamed" person's belongings and about half of his clothes and two male American voices and a female American voice having a drunken screaming match in the room next door.

After he finished his cranking rotation he came back to the shop with nothing said and there was just an air of 'this is something that you don't touch" and he definitely never was assigned any of her planes and as soon as she rotated to be our DIVO he was sent to the airframe shop and I transferred squadrons. Up until the day I left his only response to somebody "yelling hey remember that time that Joe hosed the Cherry!?" Was "I can't talk about it bro", a stupid crooked smile and a matching stupid crooked shrug while holding a Bud light in one hand and his 50th cigarette of the day in his other.

I'd hit him up on Facebook for the rest of the story, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name because I always just knew him as dirty Joe so I messaged my friend who was part of the task force that brought him in for the rest of the story but I don't know that I'll get it even now.

to be honest I don't know that I want to know what's become of him now because in my mind he's just this goofy wasteland redneck superhero in a wife beater and jean shorts drunk somewhere getting away with far more than he ever should and I don't really want that ruined. Also I don't really want him remembering that I exist, cuz it's not like this guy was ever going to clean up his act.

I'm sorry if my formatting is weird and my spelling is crap I have to use voice to text because I have difficulty using my hands for fine motion like typing on a cell phone and I'm banging this out away from my desk.

Next up I'll write jrenlisted.txt/itme.
I went before the mast 3 times and married someone who deployed with us. Got out, joined another branch and continued loving up like it was my job.

Mast options are:
CO in a bathrobe

Getting kicked out of "C" School while still passing.

And military equipment off the books found in my barracks roommates closet.

Other story options that come to mind:
My roommate gets an exchange student

Getting into a fight with with the bouncers and cops to save a squad mate who wasn't actually our squadmate.

Being arrested briefly in Fallon Nevada for walking out on the tab (I was unconscious)

Steve-O buys a motorcycle and breaks his femur before ever getting it on the road.

Selling my soul for the second time to get my brother into the coast guard and out of my parents spare bedroom after 6 years of college as Junior.

Boot camp the second time around.

I'll roll into the coast guard stuff as it comes along. This is fun and never get to tell these stories because I don't tell anybody generally that I served.

Dirty Joe is my military hero.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bird cooch posted:

Being arrested briefly in Fallon Nevada for walking out on the tab (I was unconscious)

Where in Fallon? Two places immediately spring to mind so I'm curious which one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

This is actually my favorite line from a really loving strong page in the idiot thread.

yeah that dude fuckin owns

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Where in Fallon? Two places immediately spring to mind so I'm curious which one.

Does "pigs in space" ring a bell?
It's not the name of the bar but it's what it was called when I was around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That name rotates among different places in town, based on the uh...the crowd.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bird cooch posted:

Does "pigs in space" ring a bell?
It's not the name of the bar but it's what it was called when I was around.

That may have been Boomer's, I was gonna guess that or Sandwinds. I think the Nugget also did it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomers was my first guess, but really it could be anywhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CO in a bathrobe sounds promising

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you’ve never seen your captain’s balls / rear end, have you really sailed?

Had one who’d trundle up to the bridge in a wife beater and basketball shorts. One time VTS made a call he didn’t like so he threw a chair across the bridge. He finally got fired for taking out a fuel dock taking out a lock approach wall taking out a lock ship arrestor losing 24hrs to a fake bomb call running of fresh water running aground.

This was all in a sixty day period too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

was there much fuel in the piss? i would have thought that one would cost him his job

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He didn’t hit the fuel part, just took out the walkway between two dolphins.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Edit: wrong thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tythas posted:

Edit: wrong thread

You sure about that?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

EBB posted:

You sure about that?

It's me I am the idiot thread

Speaking of idiots

Iran seizes British-flagged oil tanker

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383

Tythas fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 19, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's going to end well.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just came here to post that. I don’t even care if it’s real.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

MrYenko posted:

Just came here to post that. I don’t even care if it’s real.

That specific image may or may not be real, but we all know FOR SURE that some rear end in a top hat has had to explain Naruto Running to a bunch of field-grades and probably had to demonstrate it as well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Truly this is the dumbest timeline.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
"Does anyone want to explain to me how the hell a cadet dislocated his jaw while running!?"
- An Air Force General

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cadets are always getting in trouble by running their mouths

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

A Bad Poster posted:

I knew those guys were rare, didn't know they were that rare. I worked with a trio of them up in Alaska, they were attached to the army brigades' HQ to help them plan airborne operations. They were also the chillest active duty personnel I ever met.

I've got a retired one working in my factory and he's gotten his ex-wife pregnant, his girlfriend pregnant, and dragged us into a sexual harassment lawsuit within the last two months so go Air Force I guess

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Naruto is twenty loving years old. Those field grades know what it is. I saw a comms guy come into a field exercise with a Naruto headband tied to his backpack in 2002. I didn't say anything because:

1. I was 1LT. I had dignity, goddamnit. I wasn't about to admit to knowing poo poo about anime.
2. I wanted to pretend I was doing big boy serious business stuff, not running around in the woods playing like a kid.

Anyway, I'm sure those officers loved that briefing. Nothing brightens your day like a young, earnest go getter dancing like a monkey looking for your approval.

Go Air Force, I guess.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

naruto is a volunteer child soldier

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I fell asleep catching up on this thread and had a :krad: dream about a Starship Troopers remake.

A hearty thank you to all contributors.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, GiP goes Starship Troopers would make a new thread jump to novel-length and the Goldmine in record time :stonklol:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Generation Kill meets Starship Troopers would be a drat good movie.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vengarr posted:

So Aliens??

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Vengarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

two netflix seasons of Aliens: Colonial Marines

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

well poo poo, I havent seen this since seeing it on Usenet in the late 90s.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Doc Hawkins posted:

two netflix seasons of Aliens: Colonial Marines

Only if they bring back Vasquez.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd watch the poo poo out of Colonial Marines: the showening

"NO HICKS, DONT RIG THE INDEPENDENTLY TARGETING PARTICLE BEAM PHALANX INTO A GRAVITY BONG"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

still want that mad max meets fear and loathing fuel convoy movie.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Brute Squad posted:

still want that mad max meets fear and loathing fuel convoy movie.

Give me $100k, a surplus fuel truck and a ticket to Los Angeles, and I'll have it ready for editing by next week.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BigDave posted:

Give me $100k, a surplus fuel truck and a ticket to Los Angeles, and I'll have it ready for editing by next week.

Does it have to be surplus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Remulak posted:

I fell asleep catching up on this thread and had a :krad: dream about a Starship Troopers remake.

A hearty thank you to all contributors.

Wouldn't a Starship Troopers remake likely (a) not be obvious satire and probably be made by someone who straight up Heinlein had "artistic merit" to the idea of a fascist garrison state and (b) probably end up further normalizing fascism during a time in which fascism is gaining coinage?