Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Me playing WHM:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Me playing WHM:

Same

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i got A Art made

https://twitter.com/countblanc/status/1151608948673454081

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Good art.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Eden spoilers: Totally a missed opportunity for Starboard and Larboard Landslide

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Congrats dude. I always liked your Lala's look whenever I ran past you in Kugane or whatever.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

MechaX posted:

Eden spoilers: Totally a missed opportunity for Starboard and Larboard Landslide

I think there was a mandate to never again use fancy names for left and right if the mechanic comes out quickly.

Which is terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can anyone give me a quick overview of what I need to focus on for new DRK? It looks deceptively simple which means I tend to assume I'm missing out on something. I'm assuming I should be treating the new Darkness attacks basically as something I weave in while saving 3000 for Darkest Night in situations needed and otherwise bleeding myself dry?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of macros, I've been leveling WAR and just got Nascent Flash which seems really awkward to use since you have to stop what you're doing, target a party member, cast it, target back to the mob and the duration is only a couple of seconds. Would this be a good case for some sort of targeting macro?

The effect seems bonkers though, that's gotta be a lot of self-healing during AoE. Really WAR in general just feels like it gets more fun the higher level it is, even more than other jobs I've played. Stuff like generating beast gauge when AoE'ing is locked behind level 74 which just makes the job feel kind of incomplete before you get it (but great when you do!) This is the first time I'm leveling a tank since my first character (way back, also WAR but only got to 40-something) and I'm really enjoying the tank changes, it's like I'm playing a DPS except I want to get hit! :v: Another tank related thing that I really love but haven't seen anyone mention is the fact that almost all the bosses in Shadowbringers have a cast bar for their tankbuster, giving you time to react and pop cooldowns. Why the rest of the fights in the game don't do this, I will never understand.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Something like that would indeed be a good candidate for a macro, yeah. Something like /ac "Nascent Flash" <2>

Similarly, when DRG's Dragon Sight was still an action in PVP I totally used a macro for it there while in the feast. (Actually, I'm curious if Dragon Sight is used with a macro in PvE or not)

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of macros, I've been leveling WAR and just got Nascent Flash which seems really awkward to use since you have to stop what you're doing, target a party member, cast it, target back to the mob and the duration is only a couple of seconds. Would this be a good case for some sort of targeting macro?

The effect seems bonkers though, that's gotta be a lot of self-healing during AoE. Really WAR in general just feels like it gets more fun the higher level it is, even more than other jobs I've played. Stuff like generating beast gauge when AoE'ing is locked behind level 74 which just makes the job feel kind of incomplete before you get it (but great when you do!) This is the first time I'm leveling a tank since my first character (way back, also WAR but only got to 40-something) and I'm really enjoying the tank changes, it's like I'm playing a DPS except I want to get hit! :v: Another tank related thing that I really love but haven't seen anyone mention is the fact that almost all the bosses in Shadowbringers have a cast bar for their tankbuster, giving you time to react and pop cooldowns. Why the rest of the fights in the game don't do this, I will never understand.

I set mine to /ac "Nascent Flash" <2> which is either my co-tank or my healer. It's not ideal but it works well enough for basic mitigation and for when I actually need to target I still have it available

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it is truly only useful if you're the off tank and you're using it on the main tank so either creating a macro that casts on the 2nd person or your focus target makes sense.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Something like that would indeed be a good candidate for a macro, yeah. Something like /ac "Nascent Flash" <2>

Similarly, when DRG's Dragon Sight was still an action in PVP I totally used a macro for it there while in the feast. (Actually, I'm curious if Dragon Sight is used with a macro in PvE or not)

I have Dragon Sight, TBN, and A. Manip set on vertical bars immediately next to each partymember. I've never touched PvP though.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ImpAtom posted:

Savage is like "and Leviathan had t.. no! No, THREE heads. And Titan combined with Brute Justice to form Brute Titan and it had the best theme song ever.

"You think the wandering minstrel can embellish a fight? You ain't seen nothing yet" and thus we bear witness to the first doom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And my alt makes it onto the bandwagon.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Savage is like "and Leviathan had t.. no! No, THREE heads. And Titan combined with Brute Justice to form Brute Titan and it had the best theme song ever.

Leviathan then later grew to have eight heads. Everyone takes a goddamn tank buster.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Can anyone give me a quick overview of what I need to focus on for new DRK? It looks deceptively simple which means I tend to assume I'm missing out on something. I'm assuming I should be treating the new Darkness attacks basically as something I weave in while saving 3000 for Darkest Night in situations needed and otherwise bleeding myself dry?

You should use TBN whenever you'll deplete it for a free oGCD of damage. Every tank buster, big pulls, etc.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it is truly only useful if you're the off tank and you're using it on the main tank so either creating a macro that casts on the 2nd person or your focus target makes sense.

/macroerror off
/target <2>
/target <c>
/target <f>
/ac "Nascent Flash"
/micon "Nascent Flash"
/targetlastenemy

this macro will cast it on either the 2nd party member, your chocobo companion (for fates) or your focus target, with the focus as priority if you have one, and then instantly put you right back on the mob you had targeted.

also, i got a fat paycheck this week and you know what that means

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

For MP use this works fine for standard content. You mainly want to hit Living Shadow, Inner Re- er Delirium, and Blood Weapon on cooldown but you want to make sure you get 5 GCDs off while Delirium and Blood Weapon are active so you have to make sure you activate them when the GCD is 2/3rds finished or so. It's suggested to aim for enough skillspeed to get a 2.38 GCD to make getting 5 GCDs in the 10 second windows easier but it depends on your ping ultimately.

Now if you're in raid content and running with a Ninja MP usage gets relegated to pooling everything (without over capping MP) for Trick Attack and then double weaving every GCD during those 10 seconds it's up to dump your MP on EoS and every oGCD you can and then basically waiting for 60 seconds to do it all over again. It's terrible and I'm honestly kinda glad my static doesn't have a Ninja so I don't have to deal with this even if it means I'll never get super high parses.

Edit: Oh, and for large trash pulls in dungeons TBN gets shifted to your main priority for your MP usage as long as it'll break.

Pyramid schema fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 18, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you wanna be good at DRK you gotta be good at TBN. TBN is the most useful tool in the DRK toolkit and being able to recognize tank busters or any attacks that'll consume the full TBN is key to being good DRK.

In fact, if you're able to ensure that your TBN is always consumed by enemy damage and it's rarely off CD you're basically playing DRK as optimally as possible. The damage that you put out isn't great, but nobody else gets such a cool, reactive, and useful ability. Plus having a rip and tear button is really visceral and nice.

Too bad about losing the Dark Passenger and Power Slash animations though, they were really cool.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

jokes posted:

Too bad about losing the Dark Passenger and Power Slash animations though, they were really cool.

Yeah, but at least DRKs aren't WAR, stuck with the complete garbage that is the Storm's Path animation

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Namnesor posted:

Yeah, but at least DRKs aren't WAR, stuck with the complete garbage that is the Storm's Path animation

that one's not great but I really don't like the mythril tempest animation. it sucks

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the new gnb sound effects are pretty bad, it feels like you're constantly missing every attack

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Kaubocks posted:

part of what i really like about the eden raids is it fits my own dumb head canon for my character

i've always jokingly said that my WoL is just seeking the next bigger and better fight, and that if anyone would be the writer of his biography it'd be the wandering minstrel. E3-4 i can easily justify as "levi and titan were so passé that he legitimately doesn't even remember them anymore" or "now's the PERFECT chance to one-up even the EMBELLISHED version of my story!! :haw:"

Eden becomes a lot funnier if you assume half of it is just WoL trying to show off to Ryne.

"Yeah I totally killed that! I do it all the time one the source!" Meanwhile Urianger's just stonewalling them and Thancred's trying real hard not to laugh.

EponymousMrYar posted:

A lot of that and it's Rapture aesthetic comes from the fact that it's currently at the bottom of the ocean.
Put it somewhere where there's not a lot of water around and above it and you wouldn't be getting those parallels.

Personally I was getting some real strong Kingdom Hearts 3 cover art vibes the whole time I was there.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 18, 2019

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

jokes posted:

If you wanna be good at DRK you gotta be good at TBN. TBN is the most useful tool in the DRK toolkit and being able to recognize tank busters or any attacks that'll consume the full TBN is key to being good DRK.

In fact, if you're able to ensure that your TBN is always consumed by enemy damage and it's rarely off CD you're basically playing DRK as optimally as possible. The damage that you put out isn't great, but nobody else gets such a cool, reactive, and useful ability. Plus having a rip and tear button is really visceral and nice.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but TBN is DPS neutral at best. It should absolutely be used for tank busters but using it everywhere you can (especially nearly on CD) isn't really 'optimal' if it's not saving healer GCDs. Heavy AoE attacks come to mind as healers aren't going to care if your TBN stopped any damage as they'll still have to heal up the rest of the group anyway.

There are certainly niche uses in some fights where if you can 0 out a hit with TBN, a debuff or knockback won't affect you and TBN can be useful there but these cases aren't terribly common.

Namnesor posted:

Delirium basically being Inner Release without guaranteed direct critical hits certainly has made the class feel a lot more like WAR. Really wish they had come up with something unique for it instead of what it currently does.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

World War Mammories posted:

that one's not great but I really don't like the mythril tempest animation. it sucks

:whitewater:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I've been recently introduced to the joys of EX fights, and the pugging thereof. As much as I want to see 4 strangers die to mechanics simultaneously on Titania Ex again, I'd like to actually clear the fight before savage Eden opens, and I know at least a few goons are in the same situation. To that end I'm trying to organize a group of goons + whoever else we need for a Titania Ex clear party this Sunday at 9PM EST. Please have at least two hours available!

What this means for you: be ilvl430+ (preferably with your ilvl440 weapon), have seen up through the end of the add phase, and if you've been stuck there please make sure you know about the combo mechanics that follow. There are still plenty of learning parties up in PF, so if you haven't actually seen the fight in person yet and want to join the clear party just go sit in one for an hour or two.

I will be dpsing as MNK, and currently there are 3 dps, 2 healer, and 2 tank spots available. I'll try to keep this post updated when people sign up.

If you want to join in, either PM me here or on the Catgirl Bargains discord (Smith Comma John). IGN: Drizz'ette Do'Urden@Excalibur

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kaubocks posted:

the new gnb sound effects are pretty bad, it feels like you're constantly missing every attack

Honestly sounds like hitting a thick piece of cardboard with a hammer, it's really off putting

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pyramid schema posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but TBN is DPS neutral at best. It should absolutely be used for tank busters but using it everywhere you can (especially nearly on CD) isn't really 'optimal' if it's not saving healer GCDs. Heavy AoE attacks come to mind as healers aren't going to care if your TBN stopped any damage as they'll still have to heal up the rest of the group anyway.

There are certainly niche uses in some fights where if you can 0 out a hit with TBN, a debuff or knockback won't affect you and TBN can be useful there but these cases aren't terribly common.

Delirium basically being Inner Release without guaranteed direct critical hits certainly has made the class feel a lot more like WAR. Really wish they had come up with something unique for it instead of what it currently does.

Uh tbn being consumed by damage gives you juice to turn into damage. That’s the whole point of what they were saying. If it isn’t being consumed it’s not peak efficiency for drk.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Uh tbn being consumed by damage gives you juice to turn into damage. That’s the whole point of what they were saying. If it isn’t being consumed it’s not peak efficiency for drk.

You don't gain damage from it though compared to using the MP for an attack. It's absolutely good to use it any time it'd break/you don't need it in the next 15s for a tankbuster though. (I'm still used to it giving a bloodspiller though which felt better to me for whatever reason.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

But using it when it won't save a healer GCD (such as when they're AOE healing anyway) makes it no better (and no worse) than using that same MP for an attack. That's the point: there's no reason to keep in on cooldown as much as possible. Maybe no reason not to in some cases, but it's certainly not the key to being a good DRK.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 18, 2019

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Using TBN properly is a DPS gain in a very specific scenario and generally DPS neutral otherwise. The DA buff you get when the shield breaks doesn't have a timer. Thus you can stock a DA and have 9000+ MP and then dump 4 Edge of Shadows instead of 3 during most raidwide buff windows. This is incredibly minor but it's there.

TBN shines compared to other tanks' mitigation because the effective health it gives you in absorbing hits means that in most cases the requisite healing to bring you to parity compared to Sheltron, Raw Intuition, or Heart of Stone is much less.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pyramid schema posted:

TBN, if used correctly, is a better value proposition than just using a MP attack since it costs the same and frees up the healer to do damage (assuming they're not honest). So, if you're smart you'll recognize when you can TBN and have it be consumed, and you'll always do that as much as possible. This conserves healer MP and keeps them glaring.

There's not much reason to TBN raid damage, but fully consumed TBN on auto attacks and junk like that are where the good dorks are separated from the also good dorks who otherwise just TBN tank busters. The bad dorks are any dorks that let a TBN fall off, unconsumed. Like finding an abandoned, full beer at a party, an unconsumed TBN is a great tragedy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i miss 4.x dark knight a lot; current drk feels really one note and empty

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wouldn't say I missed 4.x DRK but yeah new DRK feels very... unfinished. Compared to PLD or GNB, DRK feels like it's missing a whole other mechanic.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
DRK lost a lot of little resource management. Previously, there were multiple different ways to have MP/blood income that made upkeep a bit more interesting in making sure that everything was ticking properly. Spending those resources is pretty much the same as it is now, except Delirium. Also, two of the more fun (IMO) ogcds have been changed to both be less often and less rewarding. Blood Weapon no longer grants haste and Salted Earth got nerfed in both damage and cooldown. I can understand the simplification of the resource management, since that was a general theme of ShB overall, but nothing was really given to compensate DRK for that loss.

My personal dream is some sort of mechanic that grants a bonus if you choreograph and sync up with Living Shadow. Like a super finishing move that Living Shadow will do if you match 3 of its moves before it proceeds to the next in its rotation. Or absorbing the Living Shadow back into yourself for a super state briefly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kerrzhe posted:

/macroerror off
/target <2>
/target <c>
/target <f>
/ac "Nascent Flash"
/micon "Nascent Flash"
/targetlastenemy

this macro will cast it on either the 2nd party member, your chocobo companion (for fates) or your focus target, with the focus as priority if you have one, and then instantly put you right back on the mob you had targeted.

also, i got a fat paycheck this week and you know what that means

Shortcut:

code:
/macroerror off
/ac "Nascent Flash" <2>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <3>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <4>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <5>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <6>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <7>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <8>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <c>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <f> 
/ac "Nascent Flash" <tt>
/micon "Nascent Flash"
Otherwise, assuming a party where you have a partymate, a chocobo, and a focus target that is also a valid target for your ability, your macro will target your partymate, the chocobo, the focus target, then fire on the focus target, even though the partymate and chocobo were also perfectly valid targets. This immediately fires (assuming the GCD is up, because :rolleyes: macros) on the first valid target in the list.

<tt> is "target of target" and to catch any last exceptions.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 18, 2019

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

to each their own and maybe it’s better on non-roes, but to me it lacks weight. your character doesn’t move, the axe just swirls like a baton. in contrast, with overpower you shift your weight and slam forward, and I miss the steel cyclone animation, how you leaned into it, etc

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hyper Inferno posted:

DRK lost a lot of little resource management. Previously, there were multiple different ways to have MP/blood income that made upkeep a bit more interesting in making sure that everything was ticking properly. Spending those resources is pretty much the same as it is now, except Delirium. Also, two of the more fun (IMO) ogcds have been changed to both be less often and less rewarding. Blood Weapon no longer grants haste and Salted Earth got nerfed in both damage and cooldown. I can understand the simplification of the resource management, since that was a general theme of ShB overall, but nothing was really given to compensate DRK for that loss.

My personal dream is some sort of mechanic that grants a bonus if you choreograph and sync up with Living Shadow. Like a super finishing move that Living Shadow will do if you match 3 of its moves before it proceeds to the next in its rotation. Or absorbing the Living Shadow back into yourself for a super state briefly.

The big thing from messing with it a bit is it feels both MP and Blood generate a lot slower, the blood bit is somewhat replaced with delirum but the MP speed makes it feel slow to me. I get that they don't want it to be as fast as old DRK or GNB and this may be a better design for most people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Watching a streamer do MSQ and it turns out you can actually shoot the Crystal Exarch during the dwarf shooting gallery, at which point he says "If you're entertaining the thought of knocking off my cowl, know that it will not work." :lol: