Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Flying_Crab posted:

Knowing how racist people can be here in WI, I can only imagine what it's like in bumblefuck Iowa where it's more culturally conservative and where they have no large cities that are primarily minority inhabited.

Growing up in bumblefuck Nebraska, which I assume is pretty similar to bumblefuck Iowa, I can't say I remember any really overt racism but frankly there wasn't much opportunity for it because the minority population was all but nonexistent. There's not much opportunity for racial friction if the population is nearly homogeneous. That said I'm sure if you dug into it lots of people would have lovely views since conservative media is insanely racist so I'm sure that leeches into a lot of people. Plus people often hate and fear things they're not familiar with.

Though after I moved to the city I've definitely heard some overt racism here and there...

edit: I was just kind of thinking/rambling about this entirely mentally disconnected from the Tupac thing, I'm talking real bumblefuck like sub 5000 people. Yeah there's probably a pretty good amount of racism in Iowa City's administrative professional class.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Edit: but their hate for all rap music is in no way racist ok!!!

It's OK, they hate country too. Everything but rap and country!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's not really their fault- Tupac's music just reached Iowa .

(Stole the joke from a friend)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/26334898832

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought they wouldn't let lil Nas X call old town road country

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Well, I wrote this song for the Christian youth
I wanna teach kids the Christian truth
If you wanna reach those kids on the street
Then you gotta do a rap to a hip-hop beat
So I gave my sermon an urban kick
My rhymes are fly, my beats are sick
My crew is big and it keeps getting bigger
That's 'cause Jesus Christ is my

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Say What!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Can we have some more commentary about how calling these people deplorable is an unfair, disparaging term for people who believe reasonable but politically incorrect things?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
How long until we are hiding refugees in the attic now?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

Oscar Romero and Dietrich Bonhoeffer fuckin own

Looks like he'd be great at basketball.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FAUXTON posted:

I thought they wouldn't let lil Nas X call old town road country

Billy Ray Cyrus signed on for a remix.

I haven't listened to old town road. Is it a song about the road out of a sundown town?

Sorry.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Billy Ray Cyrus signed on for a remix.

I haven't listened to old town road. Is it a song about the road out of a sundown town?

Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFtAmvrPxA

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some guy did arson at an anime studio and killed 10 people.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That's awful for a variety of reasons. I feel like my ears deserve an apology.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's awful for a variety of reasons. I feel like my ears deserve an apology.

ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKDYHWAKnY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Can't wait for goons to "ironically" celebrate this

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Still amazed that Iowa legalized gay marriage third, long before any west coast state and most east coast states.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The death toll will likely be higher because a number of employees are still missing and firefighters found unresponsive people on the second floor. Apparently the perpetrator threw gasoline on people and tried to set them on fire.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait for goons to "ironically" celebrate this

I celebrate burning an anime studio just not with people inside. the problem with anime isnt so much who makes it just the people who watch it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

C.M. Kruger posted:

The death toll will likely be higher because a number of employees are still missing and firefighters found unresponsive people on the second floor. Apparently the perpetrator threw gasoline on people and tried to set them on fire.

What the gently caress

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slim Pickens posted:

Still amazed that Iowa legalized gay marriage third, long before any west coast state and most east coast states.

All three Iowa Supreme Court judges whose terms were up for a retention vote the next year were voted out of office because of their decision in that case. It was the first (three) time(s) a judge had ever been voted put of office in Iowa.
On a brighter note, the next judge on the gay marriage decision to come up for a retention vote, three years after the decision, was retained.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

C.M. Kruger posted:

Kyoto Animation is known as one of the best studios to work at because they treat their employees very well w/r/t work/life balance. To the point that apparently on the second floor they had a nursery because they had so many moms working for the company.

Yeah.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Holy poo poo. Did they cancel the perps favorite cartoon or something gently caress

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

C.M. Kruger posted:

Up to 23 according to local news

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Hearing this song instantly transported me back to the 3 years I lived in Sumter, SC.

gently caress you

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

anime is like lebron james

i want to see them lose, i just don't want anybody to die over it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Syrian Lannister posted:

Up to 23 according to local news

26 now

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

my kinda ape posted:

Growing up in bumblefuck Nebraska, which I assume is pretty similar to bumblefuck Iowa, I can't say I remember any really overt racism but frankly there wasn't much opportunity for it because the minority population was all but nonexistent. There's not much opportunity for racial friction if the population is nearly homogeneous. That said I'm sure if you dug into it lots of people would have lovely views since conservative media is insanely racist so I'm sure that leeches into a lot of people. Plus people often hate and fear things they're not familiar with.

Though after I moved to the city I've definitely heard some overt racism here and there...

edit: I was just kind of thinking/rambling about this entirely mentally disconnected from the Tupac thing, I'm talking real bumblefuck like sub 5000 people. Yeah there's probably a pretty good amount of racism in Iowa City's administrative professional class.

IDK, Iowa City is the home of the University of Iowa and is one of the bastions of blue in the state. You see more overt racism in cities that have a large minority population.

For example, two of our NCOs in the Guard were pulled over one Sunday morning while reconning a PT route because a black guy and a hispanic guy in a car together is suspicious....

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Heard 33 just a minute ago on the radio. NPR station.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Does Japan have a death penalty, and are they going to consider this a terror incident, or is this some goofy incel westerner upset that his anime was cancelled?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Syrian Lannister posted:

Does Japan have a death penalty, and are they going to consider this a terror incident, or is this some goofy incel westerner upset that his anime was cancelled?

japan has a death penalty. the messed up part is that they don't tell you what day. so you're sitting there and boom time to die

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Japan executed 15 people last year.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syrian Lannister posted:

They do, surprisingly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Syrian Lannister posted:

They have the dude in custody but he got burned so he's in the hospital.

They definitely will pursue the death penalty, barring some incredible legal circumstances.

I've been watching more anime lately, including Evangelion so hearing this poo poo is especially jarring; for context, after the Evangelion series run finished on TV, the ending was so divisive and tonally different from the show the director got death threats, and Gainax studios were vandalized. The show was also influenced during it's production and release by the Tokyo Sarin Attacks.

I hope the news gets better before it keeps hearing worse.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 18, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i only ever watched the last episode of eva with two friends watching it for the first time and explaining everything

it was a thing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i only ever watched the last episode of eva with two friends watching it for the first time and explaining everything

it was a thing

Yeah those dudes suck for not only getting you to watch anime, but the last two episodes of Eva.

It's like you got convinced to do krokodil at a party.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i had gateways with dbz/cowboy bebop/gundam

i knew it had giant robots, which are cool, so yeah

my buddy had ordered it on vhs and it came in while we were hanging out, they were excited beforehand. Notsomuch after

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I watch pokemon sometimes

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I watch pokemon sometimes

The live action movie was fun.

Also, Trump is against SNAP for junior enlisted.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/18/should-low-income-military-families-get-food-allowance-white-house-says-no.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

"Most junior enlisted members receive pay that is between the 95th and 99th percentiles relative to their private-sector peers," Office of Management and Budget officials wrote in a statement of administrative policy on the House National Defense Authorization bill, H.R. 2500.

:thunk: