Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Waiting on a court ordered phone call from OC that was supposed to happen 2 hours ago. Please just loving settle so I can move on with my life.

Dusted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

be warned, no one who goes to Fish's cabin ever returns

That is a scurrilous and slanderous accusation. People return, both eventually and metaphorically.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a bit of a meta-joke about the forums, actually.

In Eric Powell's The Goon comic, Dr. Alloy is a well-intentioned mad scientist who, well, sometimes his ideas don't quite work out.

In that specific comic, he's having a bit of a (literal) breakdown.

That seems like a loaded question. I like cabinetry

If it gets me out of Trump's America, I mean, ok

That's pretty interesting. I have a whole bunch of cabinetry.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nice piece of fish posted:

That is a scurrilous and slanderous accusation. People return, both eventually and metaphorically.

That's pretty interesting. I have a whole bunch of cabinetry.

For the heads, yeah?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

For the heads, yeah?

All of the skulls get mounted on the wall, actually.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's like the walking with Jesus poem, except the tracks are in the snow, not sand, and you're being carried to a peat bog, not the beach.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

disjoe posted:

I am in fact drafting a multistate mortgage right now and none of this poo poo makes any sense even to an attorney.

Do lawyers even do title diligence anymore? I’ve only met one attorney that issues title opinions and he was like 400 years old.

e: THUS DONE AND PASSED

My state requires an attorney handle all real estate closings :shrug: They generally justify their fees by arranging to have a title search done, but I've seen cases where they somehow managed to blow it. Everyone in my state is functionally 400 years old, though. Well (subtracts 1860 from 2019) 159 years old.

I don't do real estate law though. I was mostly thinking of the recent "Am I in a HOA?" discussion in the "legal questions" thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

Do US states have land registers? We’ve been all registry in the UK since before I qualified in the dim and distant early 2000s.

We have something similar. Each State is broken down into Counties. Each county has a "Clerk" who's official job is to keep all vital records, birth certificates, death certificates, marriage records, etc. and also Land Records. So there is an office of "Deed Records" in every county thats maintained and managed by the "County Clerk." Maintained just means they keep the records in order (mostly electronic these days.) Any asswipe can go in and file anything they want as long as they pay the filing fee.
There is no administrative review of what gets filed. Therefore, any disputes have to go to regular Court to get resolved - there is no in-house staff or administrative process.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Family Court Dad, Esq.

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1151559612610613248

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I just read the 7 page opinion and woof. It ends with the judge saying “you have 14 days to show cause why you’re not paying the defenses legal fees. Also we reported you to your state bar and are openly questioning your fitness to practice law.”

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My state requires an attorney handle all real estate closings :shrug: They generally justify their fees by arranging to have a title search done, but I've seen cases where they somehow managed to blow it. Everyone in my state is functionally 400 years old, though. Well (subtracts 1860 from 2019) 159 years old.

I don't do real estate law though. I was mostly thinking of the recent "Am I in a HOA?" discussion in the "legal questions" thread.

Nah that makes sense. I work in an oil and gas context so our title work is usually done by land men. I think in commercial non-O&G contexts the attorneys outsource the title search process to Fidelity or some poo poo.

blarzgh posted:

We have something similar. Each State is broken down into Counties. Each county has a "Clerk" who's official job is to keep all vital records, birth certificates, death certificates, marriage records, etc. and also Land Records. So there is an office of "Deed Records" in every county thats maintained and managed by the "County Clerk." Maintained just means they keep the records in order (mostly electronic these days.) Any asswipe can go in and file anything they want as long as they pay the filing fee.
There is no administrative review of what gets filed. Therefore, any disputes have to go to regular Court to get resolved - there is no in-house staff or administrative process.

Well, any asswipe can go in and file anything they want as long as they pay the filing fee plus comply with whatever dumbass rules the clerk's office feels like enforcing that particular day. You'd be amazed at how many different rejections you can get from the same set of rules and the same form of documents.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
woof! (this is in response to the dumbass who thought he could soft-appeal his custody loss to federal loving court by suing the child psychologist)

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 17, 2019

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just read the 7 page opinion and woof. It ends with the judge saying “you have 14 days to show cause why you’re not paying the defenses legal fees. Also we reported you to your state bar and are openly questioning your fitness to practice law.”

Yeah it’s a doozy. Also they were like “wtf why are you trying to do this as a John Doe”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i looked the guy up and the appeal of the order taking his kid away from him is replete with statements that he lied to the court about the record and he got held in contempt by the trial court, they're not big fans of him either

he escaped criminal contempt in the trial court for lying to the trial court because the lie was so bizarre and pointless the court couldn't find the necessary intent to obstruct justice

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

i looked the guy up and the appeal of the order taking his kid away from him is replete with statements that he lied to the court about the record and he got held in contempt by the trial court, they're not big fans of him either

he escaped criminal contempt in the trial court for lying to the trial court because the lie was so bizarre and pointless the court couldn't find the necessary intent to obstruct justice

What was the lie?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

What was the lie?

he brazenly lied about the name of a therapist he started taking his kids to was (from the decision it basically sounds like he was trying to get his kids to lie to the therapist to manufacture abuse allegations)

he testified for like 20 minutes about it being guy X and lots of stuff about guy X's therapy sessions. then the first thing on cross is "here's an email saying the therapist is lady Y. what the gently caress" and then he starts hemming and hawing and saying guy X is in charge and he was just talking about guy X because he's the point of contact but actually the kids never saw guy X.

the court decision basically is "you obviously lied but i have no loving idea why so i can't find any attempt to obstruct justice"

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

he brazenly lied about the name of a therapist he started taking his kids to was (from the decision it basically sounds like he was trying to get his kids to lie to the therapist to manufacture abuse allegations)

he testified for like 20 minutes about it being guy X and lots of stuff about guy X's therapy sessions. then the first thing on cross is "here's an email saying the therapist is lady Y. what the gently caress" and then he starts hemming and hawing and saying guy X is in charge and he was just talking about guy X because he's the point of contact but actually the kids never saw guy X.

the court decision basically is "you obviously lied but i have no loving idea why so i can't find any attempt to obstruct justice"

Boy, this guys just not great at lawyering— trial level, appellate level... who wants to keep an eye out for his certiorari

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Teddybear posted:

Yeah it’s a doozy. Also they were like “wtf why are you trying to do this as a John Doe”

That was some cold poo poo. The appellate judges sua sponte changed the case from john and jane doe vs doctor to him vs doctor while telling him that he was not just wrong for suing in their name, but he also failed to follow proper procedure by not using the kids initials instead of fictitious names.

In my legal practice life, OC finally got back with me. We’re still marching to trial. This is a losing case for his client, but yet we inch closer forward with each day. At this point I’m just trying to save his client’s money because I really don’t want to have to travel across state to try this case.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Holy lol, the judges in my county would have eviscerated him for that and probably find him in contempt.

He got out lucky and then tried the federal stunt. Amazing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Is a state ever a person under any statute?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Munin posted:

Is a state ever a person under any statute?

Yes. To give one really quick example:

ARIZ. REV. STAT. §1-215 posted:

§1-215. Definitions. In the statutes and laws of this state, unless the context otherwise requires:
28. "Person" includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. When the word "person" is used to designate the party whose property may be the subject of a criminal or public offense, the term includes the United States, this state, or any territory, state or country, or any political subdivision of this state that may lawfully own any property, or a public or private corporation, or partnership or association. When the word "person" is used to designate the violator or offender of any law, it includes corporation, partnership or any association of persons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was some cold poo poo. The appellate judges sua sponte changed the case from john and jane doe vs doctor to him vs doctor while telling him that he was not just wrong for suing in their name, but he also failed to follow proper procedure by not using the kids initials instead of fictitious names.

This is something I've pushed courts on actually. Different courts in my state have different confidentiality rules, some just anonymize to initials which is not sufficient, and importantly in cases that involve parents and children, anonymizing the children but not the parents is just a token gesture, not real anonymity protection. "Minor Child of [Parent's Full Legal Name] is a sex abuse victim" is not really accomplishing anything.

:sigh:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
for anyone that has read OPs and still somehow wants to go to law school:

Someone in my former class just leaked a creepy excel spreadsheet that was basically dossiers kept on other students by the Kaplan reps judging how "popular" "well liked" and a bunch of other factors and criteria arbitrary kept on students to figure out how to sell them the program harder

have fun :toot:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

for anyone that has read OPs and still somehow wants to go to law school:

Someone in my former class just leaked a creepy excel spreadsheet that was basically dossiers kept on other students by the Kaplan reps judging how "popular" "well liked" and a bunch of other factors and criteria arbitrary kept on students to figure out how to sell them the program harder

have fun :toot:

Eh, that's not much different from what Facebook, Google, and Something Awful are doing to us.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is something I've pushed courts on actually. Different courts in my state have different confidentiality rules, some just anonymize to initials which is not sufficient, and importantly in cases that involve parents and children, anonymizing the children but not the parents is just a token gesture, not real anonymity protection. "Minor Child of [Parent's Full Legal Name] is a sex abuse victim" is not really accomplishing anything.

:sigh:

Mass is pretty good about this-- in cases involving abuse, everyone is initials. In parental rights termination cases, everybody gets a pseudonym as necessary, starting up top with the kid-- they're always "Adoption of (pseudonym)". Sex offender cases are ID'd by the internal number that the board uses. All the stuff you'd expect to be anonymized, is.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Do US states have land registers? We’ve been all registry in the UK since before I qualified in the dim and distant early 2000s.

Usually in states with Torrens systems - 20% have some form of it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

sullat posted:

Eh, that's not much different from what Facebook, Google, and Something Awful are doing to us.

Something Awfuls spreadsheet only has one line and it says "Username: Lowtax; Spine: Broken"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

In PA at least the Recorder of Deeds reviews all filing and can throw them out for not being correct

Same with the register of wills and Prothonotary

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Talking about Family Law Court Dad, Esq. again this morning had me think of something.

I'm sure you all recall the fraudster lawyer I spoke of before that was trying to hitch his ride onto a multi-million dollar tobacco verdict. During the fee slapfight between scammer guy and current counsel, the current counsel submitted the client's bar complaint against former lovely counsel. In it, former counsel was accused of fabricating errata sheets and getting an incompetent dying man to sign them and give false testimony on camera. Said testimony was used as a part of the jury trial.

Tobacco co. has no re-opened the case seeking relief from the massive judgment because the plaintiff lied in their case-in-chief or they lied under oath in the bar complaint. One or the other is necessarily true, and it's going to sink the entire thing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, loving up so badly you get a tobacco company off the hook has to be up there in the list of stuff that sends you the Bad Place.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jesus christ that opinion is 7 pages of that dude being chaos dunked into the next century

edit: christ even the pacer docket is hilarious

R. 16 Motion filed by Appellee Mary K. Gardner to extend time to file appellee brief.

R. 17 Order issued GRANTING motion to extend time to file appellee's brief.

R. 18 Filed Response in Opposition by Appellants Jane Doe and John Doe to Dr. Gardner's Motion for Extension of Time to File a Brief.

dude wrote a 5 page motion arguing against a routine appellate extension of time based on the insane theory that the woman he sued should not be permitted to file anything because she lacked standing to do so, and filed it after the court had granted the extension. I love this man and want to be his best friend.

i really need the oral argument recording asap

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 18, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

i really need the oral argument recording asap

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/sound/2019/cm.18-2550.18-2550_02_21_2019.mp3

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

he makes it roughly 60 seconds into his argument before Easterbrook starts slowly and methodically dissecting him

efb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

he makes it roughly 60 seconds into his argument before Easterbrook starts slowly and methodically dissecting him

efb

he doesn't even make it into his argument lawl

"we would have to disagree with the supreme court to allow this sort of a case"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

he doesn't even make it into his argument lawl

"we would have to disagree with the supreme court to allow this sort of a case"

yeah lol I should have said he makes it roughly 60 seconds into his meandering, pointless preamble before getting annihilated

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol easterbrook just loses it at the fifteen minute mark and announces "WE ARE NOT GOING TO OVERRULE THE SUPREME COURT" tells the guy that his time is up and to get the gently caress out, and then tells the other side that "we don't need an extensive argument from you"

the other attorney correctly reads the room and spends literally twenty seconds basically thanking the court for their time and saying he doesn't want to waste any more of it and rests on his briefs

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 18, 2019

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

lol easterbrook just loses it at the fifteen minute mark and announces "WE ARE NOT GOING TO OVERRULE THE SUPREME COURT" tells the guy that his time is up and to get the gently caress out, and then tells the other side that "we don't need an extensive argument from you"

the other attorney correctly reads the room and spends literally twenty seconds basically thanking the court for their time and saying he doesn't want to waste any more of it and rests on his briefs
I was just going to post that lol. Easterbrook also lets out a long, audible sigh right before losing it.

I respect Mr. Conrad's ability to read the room, I'm so dumb I probably would have gone up there and used my full 15 minutes

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I also respect Mr. Alden because I definitely would have killed myself in the hallway about 30 seconds after that oral argument

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

efb

Holy poo poo

I love the clearly audible sigh from Easterbrook right at the end before he tells Alden to sit down. I was expecting the coup de grâce to come—“this is black letter law that every attorney should know.”

“I do know it—“

“Then you are intentionally asserting a frivolous claim and we are going to render and remand to the trial court for an OSC why you shouldn’t be sanctioned under Rule 11. Bye bye.”

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
BAH GAWD THAT MAN HAS A (non-custodial) FAMILY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This guy gives me hope that I’ll pass the bar.