Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
was surprised Yang was able to give a decent interview, not surprised they had him on though, he has done much more gimmicky things for attention/to try and stay in all the debates, and Chapo probably sees it as an opportunity to hook some right/4chan leaning people who consume all Yang content while also legitimizing themselves by interviewing another presidential candidate who's on the national stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
yang was... great??? Virgil tried cornering him on a few things and had him dead to rights in a couple of key spots but Virgil just sort of moved on when yang admitted things like yes this is basically a sales tax, yes it keeps money in the hands of billionaires, no I don't want an income cap.
OK the more I think about this the more it's Virgil was a little weak and let Yang get away with a lot of poo poo that sounded good while minimizing how awful the implementation would be.

yang identifies the problems with the American economy a lot more succinctly than I would have thought but he seems to think yeetbucks would be a lot more transformative than they actually are. he's open to m4a although his version probably sucks, idk, he's not Bernie so who cares really.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 18, 2019

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just heard Alan Moore is officially retired. Great get by will as a guest, and for being the American publisher for some of Moore's last work

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gay Horney posted:

yang was... great??? Virgil tried cornering him on a few things and had him dead to rights in a couple of key spots but Virgil just sort of moved on when yang admitted things like yes this is basically a sales tax, yes it keeps money in the hands of billionaires, no I don't want an income cap.
OK the more I think about this the more it's Virgil was a little weak and let Yang get away with a lot of poo poo that sounded good while minimizing how awful the implementation would be.

yang identifies the problems with the American economy a lot more succinctly than I would have thought but he seems to think yeetbucks would be a lot more transformative than they actually are. he's open to m4a although his version probably sucks, idk, he's not Bernie so who cares really.

Yeah, I agree that Yang explained the problem a lot better than I expected.

I disagree about Virgil though, I think he did a good job of highlighting the flaws in Yangbucks without needing to have a gotcha moment. Any presidential candidate is going to just constantly hammer their talking points like Yang did.

Flutch posted:

with the mixing of up ‘the great replacement’/‘the great displacement’ - is virgil hella trolling ? or am i just stoned
Definitely trolling.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017
Uhh, wait, so the Yang-interview is real and not just Nick Mullen doing his Chinese voice for an hour?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

papa horny michael posted:

Just heard Alan Moore is officially retired. Great get by will as a guest, and for being the American publisher for some of Moore's last work

https://twitter.com/snubpollard/status/1151581509201158144

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

See this is why I have to reread issues of League a few times. You get so distracted by the war between the planet of the apes and skynet terminators as a one panel gag that you can easily miss out on great stuff like this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

uber_stoat posted:

Bernie has the most money and the highest number of total donors. if the kids show up to the polls he wins. making sure they do is the most important thing.

yeah like, polls literally cant accurately model voters because polls largely do not reach young people which means they just have to weight the four young person answers they get

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the actual best thing is that the front and back covers for this last issue of a series that did a lot of homages to other comics, particularly british ones, were 2000ad homages, specifically the cover is a reference to 2000ad #1

which was heralded as the start of a new era in britsh comics

so we're referencing the dawn of a new age as this million year old series by two guys who worked on the prog back in the day retire

its nice

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

rapeface posted:

I disagree about Virgil though, I think he did a good job of highlighting the flaws in Yangbucks without needing to have a gotcha moment. Any presidential candidate is going to just constantly hammer their talking points like Yang did.

Agreed. Virgil does great in these interviews. Also, it appears the subreddit is melting down over Yang being on the podcast and not Bernie. I mean, do these folks think Bernie is trying to get on Chapo?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1151830331126947840

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres the online Twitter left, garbage. And then theres the SA left, even worse.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I sometimes think that Yang is a brilliant plot to discredit the idea of UBI by running on the worst possible version of it, but nah, he's just a huge weenie.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
dumbest country on earth

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This early in the cycle its far more telling that Bernie is handily out- raising all competitors with a significantly larger donor base

it's cool how mayor pete outraising everyone despite polling like poo poo didn't get more attention in the media.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bring back the satanic panic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Erick Son of Erick is a very sad and scared little (big) man

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol at having yang on and not gravel

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Serf posted:

Gravel himself would be cool, the teens would suck, and these days it’s probably not possible to have the former without acknowledging the latter

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
See, I was thinking this week's bonus interview ep would've been with Ilhan Omar. ...Which, if the episode had gone out yesterday, would've been the single biggest thing Chapo Trap House could've done to brand-build.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Serf posted:

After a full hour with the Teens using zoomer slang and talking about Fortnite Felix would ascend to gamer heaven while Matt would melt into a frothing rage puddle

Serf
May 5, 2011

bring on gravel and the teens. just keep them talking about the campaign platform and foreign policy imo. chapo should be proud that they actually inspired some kids to do something

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Apoplexy posted:

See, I was thinking this week's bonus interview ep would've been with Ilhan Omar. ...Which, if the episode had gone out yesterday, would've been the single biggest thing Chapo Trap House could've done to brand-build.

I am concerned by your usage of the term "brand-build".

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

I am concerned by your usage of the term "brand-build".

Same, I don't think there should be a hyphen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's fun to listen to Virgil dismantle Yang's dumbass UBI-funded-by-VAT plan over the course of the interview
He definitely understands it better than Yang does.

Yang's definitely a socdem proposing technocratic solutions within an extremely narrow set of conditions that he assumes can never be changed. Like, "Disabled people would prefer Yangbux to being overpoliced by the fed." So don't police them?

But the thing that always drives me crazy about these people is their proposals to fix the economy under the assumption that the ultrarich can always move their capital to wherever has the lowest taxes. If you think that can never change, why do you believe government can exist at all? It's just a race to the bottom. The inevitable end result is that every federal, state, and local government dissolves and the Kochs turn Kansas into their feudal barony.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Serf posted:

Gravel doesn't do media appearances.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Gravel doesn't do media appearances.

he gave an interview to moderate rebels

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Halloween Jack posted:

But the thing that always drives me crazy about these people is their proposals to fix the economy under the assumption that the ultrarich can always move their capital to wherever has the lowest taxes. If you think that can never change, why do you believe government can exist at all? It's just a race to the bottom. The inevitable end result is that every federal, state, and local government dissolves and the Kochs turn Kansas into their feudal barony.

Unironically while we wind down our massive MIC we should use aircraft carriers and poo poo to saber-rattle at tax havens instead of using them for foreverwar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd be in favour of conquering Ireland, but unlike conservatives I understand that colonialism always involves immigration from the colony to the metropole.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

THS posted:

It's crazy that his voice sounds exactly like a 17 year old doing an impression of Solid Snake from MGS4

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This is some kind of galaxy-brain stuff that I can't even pretend to understand.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1151886206189342724

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
McCain's only skill is blubbering about herself.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Skill in the loosest of possible terms I guess.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1151882336381935616

drat Corbyn came out hard for Red Scare.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would've used a different r word.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

prefect posted:

This is some kind of galaxy-brain stuff that I can't even pretend to understand.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1151886206189342724

Meghan McCain is on the bleeding edge of kill phrase science, because that one just about did it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meghan McCain is the worst person in media because she actually believes all of this poo poo

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

THS posted:

He went on pod drat america and said he wants bloomberg to run for president

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

He went on pod drat america and said he wants bloomberg to run for president

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Meghan McCain is the worst person in media because she actually believes all of this poo poo

Matt's sojourn into daytime TV is almost over, so we'll be hearing his reactions soon :holy: