Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Busket Posket posted:

inject more orthography memes directly into my eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving hell those are quality.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:discourse:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

I don't get why it's funny, but I do know that my friend thought his American learned Spanish (he wasn't fluent or anything) would be enough to understand people in Chile and it completely broke his brain when people would talk to him.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Irradiation posted:

I don't get why it's funny, but I do know that my friend thought his American learned Spanish (he wasn't fluent or anything) would be enough to understand people in Chile and it completely broke his brain when people would talk to him.

As a Latino, trust me, it's spot on.

Edit: Spanish varies a lot from country to country but Chile in specific has a very thick slang and cadence that is confusing as gently caress. If you know Spanish you can understand them, of course, but a lot is lost depending on how casually the Chilean speaker is expressing themselves.

A comparison would maybe be New Zealand English? Or south African, perhaps. Just a combination of a unique accent and slang that's so widespread it becomes its own language.

Hugoon Chavez has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Jul 18, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've been to Spain

Churros are good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ferrule posted:

The Captain Planet cartoon existed (like all cartoons) for one reason: To sell plastic toys.

Did it even have any merchandise worth mention? People say the same thing about Steven Universe and there's so little merch of such garbage quality that fans just make their own.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Edit: Spanish varies a lot from country to country but Chile in specific has a very thick slang and cadence that is confusing as gently caress. If you know Spanish you can understand them, of course, but a lot is lost depending on how casually the Chilean speaker is expressing themselves.

A comparison would maybe be New Zealand English? Or south African, perhaps. Just a combination of a unique accent and slang that's so widespread it becomes its own language.

South African english is probably the hardest for non English speakers, closely followed by Australian and New Zealand English.

The afrikaaners have some completely nonsense words for stuff (a ute/pickup truck is a bakkie), and tend to intersperse afrikaans words into the mix to really gently caress things up. I'm Aussie and apparently have a thicker accent and still can't understand my South African coworkers lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Probably not the best example. The stereotypical "yeah nah me old ute's fair buggered after I was having a hoon the other night and got into a bit of a ding-up, but crikey dicks the new one goes like a stamped rat" NZ English is not actually how most people talk, the sort of standard NZ English is fairly close to BBC English. Chilean Spanish is a pretty ubiquitous way of speaking isn't it?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4Sez_Us

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just want to introduce someone barely fluent in English to an Irishman. Preferably a Traveller

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I just want to introduce someone barely fluent in English to an Irishman. Preferably a Traveller
Cork farmers aren’t even understandable to the rest of Ireland

also kerry farmers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUvcjk8J5c

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo it's completely incomprehensible

Like I consider myself pretty okay with accents these days but that's like another language

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Somfin posted:

Holy poo poo it's completely incomprehensible

Like I consider myself pretty okay with accents these days but that's like another language

I'm generally beyond terrible at accents, and these guys aren't THAT bad. I can probably understand about half of it

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

People seemed to have trouble understanding me in Canada sometimes, and my New Zealand accent was never particularly broad. Jokes on me though, I put effort into being understood and now that I’m back in NZ I have this semi Irish sounding mongrel of an accent

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Listen to these guys. Wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know a guy who spoke almost exactly like Boomhauer but with most profanity when I lived in Austin. It was entertaining as gently caress getting high and listening to him ramble

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dialect seems a bit rich.
These seems really forced and what 3 generations?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McSpergin posted:

South African english is probably the hardest for non English speakers, closely followed by Australian and New Zealand English.

The afrikaaners have some completely nonsense words for stuff (a ute/pickup truck is a bakkie), and tend to intersperse afrikaans words into the mix to really gently caress things up. I'm Aussie and apparently have a thicker accent and still can't understand my South African coworkers lol

'Robot' as a word for traffic light is still funny and surprisingly apropos.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

jesus WEP posted:

Cork farmers aren’t even understandable to the rest of Ireland

also kerry farmers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUvcjk8J5c

I could make out "sheep" and "missing", but that's about it.

Geordie can be incomprehensible at times, as well. I spent a couple of years in Newcastle, staying with Geordie relatives, and it's normally not a problem at all. However, occasionally we'd go out to the pub and meet up with some friends and there was this one who would lean over to me and tell me a joke, and it was just ... Geordie-sounding noise, all accent and no recognisable words at all.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

As someone that learned Spanish in Chile, this is 100% accurate.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's deliberately incomprehensible, as in, he's putting that on to gently caress with her.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Montalvo posted:

As someone that learned Spanish in Chile, this is 100% accurate.

My friend wanted to play soccer in his area, the local team were all Chilean, he joined. His name was Heath, they just called him Mitch.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

McSpergin posted:

They're not nonsense words, just derived from Dutch. Afrikaans is pretty easy to understand if you speak Dutch. It's basically Dutch as spoken by a two-year-old.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bike tory posted:

Chilean Spanish is a pretty ubiquitous way of speaking isn't it?

I haven't been in Chile per se, but in my personal experience with Chileans, yes.

Not that they can't tone it down when the need arises, but they usually don't give a poo poo, they even usually write the same way they speak, which is hard to follow as well.

But hey people don't understand me in Spain either if I'm speaking with another Venezuelan in heavy slang so, glass houses, etc.

"You're a bit of an rear end in a top hat"
Spain: eres un poco gilipollas
Venezuela: eres medio mamaguebo
Chile: eri la wea de weon po

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stoatbringer posted:

I could make out "sheep" and "missing", but that's about it.

Geordie can be incomprehensible at times, as well. I spent a couple of years in Newcastle, staying with Geordie relatives, and it's normally not a problem at all. However, occasionally we'd go out to the pub and meet up with some friends and there was this one who would lean over to me and tell me a joke, and it was just ... Geordie-sounding noise, all accent and no recognisable words at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSHHbfY6MVc

Bad Wolf posted:

They're not nonsense words, just derived from Dutch. Afrikaans is pretty easy to understand if you speak Dutch. It's basically Dutch as spoken by a two-year-old.

By a two-year-old from 200 years ago.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I haven't been in Chile per se, but in my personal experience with Chileans, yes.

Not that they can't tone it down when the need arises, but they usually don't give a poo poo, they even usually write the same way they speak, which is hard to follow as well.

But hey people don't understand me in Spain either if I'm speaking with another Venezuelan in heavy slang so, glass houses, etc.

"You're a bit of an rear end in a top hat"
Spain: eres un poco gilipollas
Venezuela: eres medio mamaguebo
Chile: eri la wea de weon po

"You're a bit of an rear end in a top hat."
England: You're a right tosser
Canada: You could be nicer.
American Southeast: Bless your heart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Colonialism can leave behind some weird language quirks. Indian English is often recognisable but antiquated and formal since the whole Raj thing, and Indians tend to be aware of it and just don't care or are proud of it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm quite lucky in that the people I learnt to speak with were all Chilean, so the accent doesn't throw me off as much as it might with other people and I've developed a healthy fear of the letter "s"

I live with a Colombian guy and Venezuelan girl, who I both understand completely...

...and a guy from Madrid I can't understand at all.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bad Wolf posted:

Not nonsense... but... Dutch????

Listening to that language is like watching a machine extrude crayons.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Like being into Weezer in the 90s

Mega oof

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No idea why highly esoteric, discipline specific memes about fields of study I have almost no knowledge of are so funny but they are, to me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

CannonFodder posted:

"You're a bit of an rear end in a top hat."
England: You're a right tosser
Canada: You could be nicer.
American Southeast: Bless your heart.

I just want to say that this phrase is amazing. Not only is a sick low-key burn but is extremely versatile beyond "You're an rear end in a top hat". It can also be "Go gently caress yourself", "Get hosed", or "I don't give a gently caress" etc.

Also for content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3Uhw6kYVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Classic Briar accent in America.

I have to admit, growing up in Appalachia when I was very young--when I moved away to a place that didn't have the accent I was ridiculed, so I learned to speak a more neutral American English to avoid being looked at as dumb or weird. I can code switch pretty easily though, and my extended family have the accent so understanding it is no problem (it isn't terribly difficult anyway, but there are things that are unique). Apparently when I talk about more 'masculine' things or when I drink a bit too much my accent pops out and others find it kind of funny how I change subtly yet drastically.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jul 18, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah except it's used almost exclusively by Paula Deens.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dialhforhero posted:

I just want to say that this phrase is amazing. Not only is a sick low-key burn but is extremely versatile beyond "You're an rear end in a top hat". It can also be "Go gently caress yourself", "Get hosed", or "I don't give a gently caress" etc.

I'll pray for you

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll pray for you

:kiss:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

No idea why highly esoteric, discipline specific memes about fields of study I have almost no knowledge of are so funny but they are, to me.

You're allowed in on the joke without being patronised or having it broken down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll pray for you

:supaburn: