Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gotta love that Allison's reaction to her bridge with Cio burning is "burn the rest of them, too." That is some maximum tier Furious Dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

TBF I'm not sure White Chain has decided that is what she is doing yet

True that. Hell, even Allison doesn't know what she's gonna do once she gets to Zaid - give him the key? (Probably not, because then there's no comic.) Make him part of her crew? Send him home? Everyone's just kind of flailing here.

But clearly White Chain has gone a bit over what she was supposed to do by actually training Allison, and she might have held out some hope that she's the true heir and can help her... Do what, prevent another universal war and apocalypse? Maybe? Hopefully?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PMush Perfect posted:

Gotta love that Allison's reaction to her bridge with Cio burning is "burn the rest of them, too." That is some maximum tier Furious Dumbass.

No one has ever accused her of being particularly wise. People under stress lash out in self-destructive ways.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

She's right though. Not that it justifies being an rear end in a top hat, but patience is what got the world in this situation in the first place. Her impulsiveness is the shot up the rear end it needs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
White Chain's "Are they tired of you yet?" is a great little dig in response to Juggernaut deliberately mis-gendering her.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

For a moment I thought Juggs was whipping themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

White Chain's "Are they tired of you yet?" is a great little dig in response to Juggernaut deliberately mis-gendering her.

I get it! It's because she's a wheel!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
God, this comic. Even when it does something relatively conventional like the start of a kumite arc it has the loving Shrike show up to warn about a tornado of angels getting ready to gently caress literally everyone up.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

shirts and skins posted:

God, this comic. Even when it does something relatively conventional like the start of a kumite arc it has the loving Shrike show up to warn about a tornado of angels getting ready to gently caress literally everyone up.

I wanna see Swolomon use one angel to beat another to death.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Single Sphink posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

VanSandman posted:

I wanna see Swolomon use one angel to beat another to death.

"And Solomon said unto them 'stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.' But lo, the angels could not, for Solomon was hitting one with the other."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

wiegieman posted:

No one has ever accused her of being particularly wise. People under stress lash out in self-destructive ways.

Al at the start of KSBD:
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: 10
Wis: 6
Int: 14
Cha: 12

Al signing up for the tournament:
Str: 30
Dex: 25
Con: 50

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

habeasdorkus posted:

Al at the start of KSBD:
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: 10

Al signing up for the tournament:
Str: 30
Dex: 25
Con: 50

FDA: 1000

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ah so thorn knights are angels with depression

gotcha boss

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Single Sphink posted:

I mean, for all we know she was: she previously had multiple bodies, and it's not like angel anatomy really means anything in the void.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I get it! It's because she's a wheel!
Yeah, and deliberately calling someone who self-idenitfies as a wheel merely a tire is a pretty big slap in the face.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It took me a second, but Jugs' "transgression" was her little "race" with White Chain to save/kill Allison, right? That and letting herself get merced by Maya.

Interesting that technically if Allison proves to be the true heir, Michael and Metatron's needs will be technically be filled, and Juggernaut Star seems to know that's what White Chain is trying to do. I wonder if she's chosen to share that with her masters...?

Given the panel, I'm inclined to guess it's primarily Gender.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Neopie posted:

Or at least, failing to hold the form of a Thorn Night.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that most Thorn Knights don't even have heads, I'm not sure if there's a standard for what their faces are allowed to look like. Though that might be part of why Juggs is "Speaker for Thorns".

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I Have No Head And I Must Thorn

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah so thorn knights are angels with depression gender dysphoria

gotcha boss

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
2 Michael seems like a very "ends justify the means" sort, and he would care a lot more about 6 Juggernaut's repeated failures. If he was going to have 6 Juggernaut whipped, the gender/form poo poo would more likely be an excuse than anything else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neopie posted:

Nah I really doubt that, the previous time we saw Jugs' real face was when she was tired. So more likely she was being punished for what I mentioned and was just unable to hold her form due to the exertion of it the torture. Notice how she's kind of half-manifesting the spikes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah so thorn knights are angels with depression

gotcha boss

Yeah possibly. They're the most repressed at the very least. At the polar opposite end are the Petal Knights who have their poo poo together and are loving loving life.

Edit: I JUST NOW got the naming convention of the angels: "root", "petal", "thorn". All parts of a plant. God, I'm dense.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2019

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Is there anything to the irony that two of those branches of angels make such a big deal out of being static, sterile, unchanging, "clean" and anti-life but that they're all named after a growing, living thing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and you call yourselves parts of a plant despite the fact you're obviously stone

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 17, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GhastlyBizness posted:

Is there anything to the irony that two of those branches of angels make such a big deal out of being static, sterile, unchanging, "clean" and anti-life but that they're all named after a growing, living thing?

Seems intended, yeah.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder if we'll get to meet a petal knight who isn't serving some mob boss or anything like that

like they're content just doing gardening or somesuch

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder if we'll get to meet a petal knight who isn't serving some mob boss or anything like that

like they're content just doing gardening or somesuch
Hitman Monkey Angel is not proud of his work.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Wouldn’t really like to have the dichotomy for Thorn, Root, and Petal be entirely transition metaphors. Strikes me as fan wank and kinda annoys me as a trans person myself. While Juggernaut Star probably is motivated by intense self-hatred for being too femme for an angel, the majority of Thorn Knights strike me as kin to those weird fucks on 4chan and Reddit who say they’re “blackpilled” (which is to say in normal English and not internet newspeak, utterly depressed by their belief that they will never see a return to traditional conservative values) and wind up going on killing sprees. The whole motivation is, “gently caress it, all the other races ruined Throne, the Old Law is meaningless, best kill them all and make it a silent graveyard yet again.”

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never saw it as being trans metaphor stuff, just philosophies

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arm yourself with a revolver or knife and lie in wait on the steps of the palaces of god and shoot or stab them should they emerge

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

arm yourself with a revolver or knife and lie in wait on the steps of the palaces and shoot or stab them should they emerge

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Okay but that's just the original quote.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

its a good quote

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Wouldn’t really like to have the dichotomy for Thorn, Root, and Petal be entirely transition metaphors.

I just meant it was neat they were parts of a plant.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

A Single Sphink posted:

Honestly it should be so, I mean it so on brand.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think all the nihilist angels who chose to have their heads removed to be better angry lil fascist death cultists probably had some stuff going on in their now-removed heads, but I agree that they probably had a wide range of things going on and I don't have a lot of sympathy for them as a group. Because they chose to be headless fascists. Similarly I'll bet there's a lot of differentiation in the Petal Knights, though I'm sure some went that way because they couldn't express their gender otherwise.

Really, I just want more Petal Knight designs on screen. They look real cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was quite disappointed that Broken Worlds only had Petal Knights as a variant of a single class. I thought the whole point of them was that they could be anything.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Wouldn’t really like to have the dichotomy for Thorn, Root, and Petal be entirely transition metaphors. Strikes me as fan wank and kinda annoys me as a trans person myself. While Juggernaut Star probably is motivated by intense self-hatred for being too femme for an angel, the majority of Thorn Knights strike me as kin to those weird fucks on 4chan and Reddit who say they’re “blackpilled” (which is to say in normal English and not internet newspeak, utterly depressed by their belief that they will never see a return to traditional conservative values) and wind up going on killing sprees. The whole motivation is, “gently caress it, all the other races ruined Throne, the Old Law is meaningless, best kill them all and make it a silent graveyard yet again.”

The Thorns seem more Taliban than Reddit, i.e. perfectly normal fundamentalists doing what fundamentalists do. It's never taken nihilism for people to mob up and start murdering the gently caress out of folks for minor deviances from their particular theological interpretation. The Old Law isn't meaningless, they disregard peoples' lives and the wellbeing of the human-dominated multiversal civilization precisely because these things are not part of the Old Law, which as proper angels is all they care about and any other thought is sinful and must be extirpated.

The difference between the three branches is just whether they wrap their identity around conforming to the Old Law (and become terrorists), the norms of the society they actually exist in (and become mobsters), or both (and brutally enforce safe storage requirements on drug slavery dens)

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 18, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018
do angels always choose their own presentation or are they, like, assigned wheel at birth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The Thorns seem more Taliban than Reddit, i.e. perfectly normal fundamentalists doing what fundamentalists do. It's never taken nihilism for people to mob up and start murdering the gently caress out of folks for minor deviances from their particular theological interpretation. The Old Law isn't meaningless, they disregard peoples' lives and the wellbeing of the human-dominated multiversal civilization precisely because these things are not part of the Old Law, which as proper angels is all they care about and any other thought is sinful and must be extirpated.

i mean, the funny thing about militant fundamentalists is that most of them are otherwise fairly boring middle-class teenage / early 20s men. the profile of your average incel terrorist is pretty much the same as the profile of your average ISIS recruit, modulo ethnic background

animist fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Darth Walrus posted:

Was quite disappointed that Broken Worlds only had Petal Knights as a variant of a single class. I thought the whole point of them was that they could be anything.

I'd assume that any class that takes Angel can be a Petal Knight, but it might also just be that, as good as the game is to play, it is not a well edited rulebook