Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good and free or pay-once 2FA app? I’m using 1Password now but my annual subscription is coming up soon and I feel like the native keychain would be just as good. Unfortunately though all my 2FA is setup in 1Password and I don’t think iCloud Keychain can handle those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good and free or pay-once 2FA app? I’m using 1Password now but my annual subscription is coming up soon and I feel like the native keychain would be just as good. Unfortunately though all my 2FA is setup in 1Password and I don’t think iCloud Keychain can handle those.

Google Authenticator and Authy are both good and free

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Keep in mind that with the native keychain your passwords are only accessible on Apple devices.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like MyKi.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Google Authenticator and Authy are both good and free

Won’t bother with google but authy looks okay. I’m just wondering what the catch is though.

withak posted:

Keep in mind that with the native keychain your passwords are only accessible on Apple devices.

Yeah, that’s not too much of an issue I think.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Won’t bother with google but authy looks okay. I’m just wondering what the catch is though.

If you're wondering how they make money, Authy is a product of Twilio which charges companies for API access to generate the 2FA codes. Authy is free because the more people that use Authy, the more companies sign on to their API product.

https://authy.com/blog/why-is-the-authy-2fa-app-free-for-users/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

withak posted:

I can see why they don't, but it would give me a bit of reassurance if you could access the keychain over icloud.com. All my gear is Apple, but if I'm stuck out and my battery is dead/phone lost or stolen, it'd be nice to jump on to a computer and be able to get passwords for services I might need (Uber etc).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can see why they don't, but it would give me a bit of reassurance if you could access the keychain over icloud.com. All my gear is Apple, but if I'm stuck out and my battery is dead/phone lost or stolen, it'd be nice to jump on to a computer and be able to get passwords for services I might need (Uber etc).

You can't access them on icloud.com

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

withak posted:

You can't access them on icloud.com

Oh well that’s something I hadn’t considered and is enough to get me to stick with 1Password. The fact that if my phone was dead and I didn’t have my laptop with me and I’m fully locked out is lovely.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh well that’s something I hadn’t considered and is enough to get me to stick with 1Password. The fact that if my phone was dead and I didn’t have my laptop with me and I’m fully locked out is lovely.

If you have 2FA on your AppleID (which you should!), you probably wouldn’t be able to access iCloud anyway if your devices are dead.

I’m a legacy pay-once 1Password user, but the more I think about this the more I think I should jump to the subscription model so I can access my credentials through the cloud in a case like this..

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Froist posted:

If you have 2FA on your AppleID (which you should!), you probably wouldn’t be able to access iCloud anyway if your devices are dead.

I’m a legacy pay-once 1Password user, but the more I think about this the more I think I should jump to the subscription model so I can access my credentials through the cloud in a case like this..

I have 2FA on my Apple ID but it’s like the worse implementation ever or am I doing something wrong?

If I’m on my MacBook it pops up the code on the MacBook. On my phone too, but also on my MacBook. And when I’m on my phone it pops up there on the phone too and it’s the worse because the pop up takes over the whole screen. I know it’s only like 6 numbers and easy to remember but I feel like having to remember a 6 number code, hit “ok” to dismiss it, and then type it back in hoping I didn’t transpose a number is really dumb.

If the second device is allowed to be the first device then why not just do it like how Blizzard does it? Pop up a notification asking if I tried to log in, hit yes and it’s done.

(Someone please tell me this is not normal and how to fix it :v:)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 18, 2019

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have 2FA on my Apple ID but it’s like the worse implementation ever or am I doing something wrong?

(Someone please tell me this is not normal and how to fix it :v:)

All I can tell you is that if you’re doing it wrong, so am I. I’ve had exactly the same thought process - especially as the first stage in the flow is an “Allow/Deny” prompt.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I can only assume that Apple’s reasoning is that the chances of someone getting your password AND access to your devices are slim, but it does seem to be a terrible implementation of 2FA that appears to cause just as many issues as it solves.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Microsoft Authenticator is actually really nice and backs up to iCloud which makes it easy to sync between an iPad and iPhone.

But to sync like that you need a Microsoft account added I think- even a free one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

empty baggie posted:

I can only assume that Apple’s reasoning is that the chances of someone getting your password AND access to your devices are slim, but it does seem to be a terrible implementation of 2FA that appears to cause just as many issues as it solves.

They encourage people to use iCloud Keychain so if I put my password in there and someone stole either my iPhone or MacBook (and unlocked it) then that 2FA is kinda useless since the code will conveniently pop up on the same stolen device …

I guess at least with 1Password if they managed to unlock my devices they’d also have to guess my 1Password password or 3D print a copy of my face.

Anyway it’s nice to know I’m not using a wrong setting or something for the iCloud 2FA. I’ve been wondering about that for a while, and yeah the fact that the first screen says allow/deny is confusing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 18, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

They encourage people to use iCloud Keychain so if I put my password in there and someone stole either my iPhone or MacBook (and unlocked it) then that 2FA is kinda useless since the code will conveniently pop up on the same stolen device …
... unless you lock it through Find My Phone, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t think that’s correct. They would need both one of your devices and the password or biometric to unlock it. It’s not like it just pops up a code on the lockscreen, it also requires an unlock.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

But again, the chances of someone stealing your device and also knowing your login password should be pretty slim (unless you're the type to keep your password on a post-it note or something).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sri.Theo posted:

Microsoft Authenticator is actually really nice and backs up to iCloud which makes it easy to sync between an iPad and iPhone.

But to sync like that you need a Microsoft account added I think- even a free one.

I've recently switched to Authy for work/home and it's good as hell.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

I've recently switched to Authy for work/home and it's good as hell.

Thirded. I've been moving all my 2FA to Authy and it's been rock solid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m a very happy 1Pass subscriber (family plan with wife and in-laws) and their 2FA support is also great. I used Authy before but when 1Pass added it, it became superfluous.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Funny coincidence, I had forgotten all about that until earlier today when I had to log in to a different gmail account for the first time in a while and in the middle automatically got a pop up with “1Password has copied your code to the clipboard”. Ok then.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have a daily alarm that wakes me up on my phone. Some days I get up before the alarm goes off, so I would like to be able to jump into the shower without the alarm going off while I'm in the shower. However, that requires toggling the entire alarm off, and then going back in and turning it back on at some point.

On Android there was a little notification that said "you have an upcoming alarm at 6:00am" or whatever, and I could just silence it ahead of time.

It doesn't look like there's a way to do this with the stock iOS Clock alarm. Any apps which do this? Basically saying "yeah, I'm up", ahead of time, but keeping the daily alarm on. :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Where do you set up 2FA in 1Password? Under the login item for a site and one-time password? So when I login it'll automatically push the code from 1pass?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Where do you set up 2FA in 1Password? Under the login item for a site and one-time password? So when I login it'll automatically push the code from 1pass?

It'll copy to clipboard (and push you a notification saying it did but I disabled that real quick).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Chinook posted:

I have a daily alarm that wakes me up on my phone. Some days I get up before the alarm goes off, so I would like to be able to jump into the shower without the alarm going off while I'm in the shower. However, that requires toggling the entire alarm off, and then going back in and turning it back on at some point.

On Android there was a little notification that said "you have an upcoming alarm at 6:00am" or whatever, and I could just silence it ahead of time.

It doesn't look like there's a way to do this with the stock iOS Clock alarm. Any apps which do this? Basically saying "yeah, I'm up", ahead of time, but keeping the daily alarm on. :)

Can't help you with the iPhone, but if you have an Apple Watch it does this.

You are someone in need of an Apple Watch.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 20, 2019

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Chinook posted:

This drives me nuts too, as an Android convert. And I'll be damned if I'm actually going to wear a watch again like it's loving 1995.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Luceo posted:

This drives me nuts too, as an Android convert. And I'll be damned if I'm actually going to wear a watch again like it's loving 1995.

Welcome to the future, old man

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watches are actually super rad now. But I wouldn't wear one to bed.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Crossposting from the iPhone thread because I'm not sure which one to post this in:

I have an iPhone 10 and I am looking for a way to select all text on a webpage so I can copy/paste it elsewhere. I seem to remember this being a feature once upon a time, but a quick google search suggests this has been gone for a few years now.

Are there any apps or different browsers besides safari that allow for this

Edit: For reference I'm aware of being able to select a word and grab the little circle and scroll down with it, but the data I'm looking to copy/paste is large enough that it's taking 6-7 minutes to scroll down each time.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 20, 2019

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
what happened to the Guardian firewall app? did they restrict it to certain regions or ?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

Watches are actually super rad now. But I wouldn't wear one to bed.

I wake up at my lightest sleep cycle via Auto Wake for maximum wakefullness and it's brilliant. The sleep data it collects via Apple Watch haptics is insane.

I'll be damned if I'm putting my phone on the bed for half those benefits (looking at you Sleep Cycle).

Or using an alarm like a normal person.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I found sleep tracking to be counter-productive because it made me have to consciously think about going to sleep.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m looking for a budgeting app like YNAB but without a subscription (pay once is fine). I don’t need it to sync with my bank accounts or anything at all. I just want to allocate money into virtual envelopes and keep track of how much is left in each one. Any suggestions?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Didn’t YNAB themselves suggest you just cobble together an Excel spreadsheet if you don’t want to pay them? I’m not sure but I think they even offered a template for free.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lazyhound posted:

I found sleep tracking to be counter-productive because it made me have to consciously think about going to sleep.

With AutoSleep and AutoWake everything is done without any user action (save for stopping the alarm). So once a week I check my stats and know if I'm carrying a debt or not (both by hours and percentage of my goal). If I am I try to catch up a bit. And if I'm like 50% ahead of my goal I know to quit being a lazy dipshit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

Didn’t YNAB themselves suggest you just cobble together an Excel spreadsheet if you don’t want to pay them? I’m not sure but I think they even offered a template for free.

I don’t know? I’ve got nothing against subscriptions—I’m just going through every single one and trying to figure out if there’s an alternative that’s just as good, and if there isn’t then no big deal I’ll happily stick around (see the 1Password discussion earlier). It’s just I realized most of the apps I’m subbed to I just blindly subbed because some app review website said it’s awesome and I’m apparently a sheep.

The app “Pennies” looks like it fits the bill. It’s pretty simple but seems to be what I’m asking for. Not sure if it’s free or not cause I already downloaded and deleted it at some point but it’s iCloud sync and the guy just takes donations.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 20, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Edit: For reference I'm aware of being able to select a word and grab the little circle and scroll down with it, but the data I'm looking to copy/paste is large enough that it's taking 6-7 minutes to scroll down each time.
When you long press to bring up the anchors, don’t you have both “select” and “select all” options on the pop up black bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Luceo posted:

Someone on Discord just told me that there was a way to do this by setting up a Siri shortcut. I don’t know if that’s something I even know how to do, or if it really applies in the circumstances. Any idea?