Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I just thought it was a dumb funny glitch. But even more funny is everyone here jumping to defend Valve against someone calling a dumb glitch dumb on the internet.

You mean a glitch in the beta right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

apple should have made it much harder to install the beta than it obviously is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Valve are a terrible, incompetent company. They make infinity money from Steam and yet haven't appreciably updated the client in years. The iOS app is still a basic web view that doesn't support the iPhone X resolution. It's silly to complain about bugs in a beta, but it's equally silly to assume Valve - of all companies - will actually fix it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely defended Valve by calling them "a company that barely functions as a company that makes things."

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There's new classes and functions to support the new controller types (go watch the WWDC game controllers video), do not expect them to work with software until the software is updated to do so.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/616/

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
My Samsung smart remote has decided to stop sending an up or down signal to the Apple TV, so my beta experience has been pretty annoying so far.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Huski Boi posted:

Valve are a terrible, incompetent company. They make infinity money from Steam and yet haven't appreciably updated the client in years. The iOS app is still a basic web view that doesn't support the iPhone X resolution. It's silly to complain about bugs in a beta, but it's equally silly to assume Valve - of all companies - will actually fix it.

This. If this is actually fixed by the time it's out of beta then yes, it was a dumb beta thing. But the single intern who's in charge of this app probably isn't even thinking about it in between making DOTA hats, so I really, really doubt it's getting fixed.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
There’s actually a workaround for that bug
https://youtu.be/NGGnC5JvVLk

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Plex app updated its Enhanced Player (Plex Pass required) with an initial rollout of HDR support.

I'm curious to give it a spin with a few HDR titles I've got.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
when your phone makes a loud *DING* in a quiet room/office because your finger accidentally brushed against that microphone key (located directly next to the drat space bar that you're tapping all the time)

does ios13 do anything about this

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think the only funny thing here is you believing there’s any kind of answer to your observation/complaint than: you opted into a prerelease beta.

If things work, great. If they don’t... that is expected.
[Ed] sorry this was for the Vince /Valve complaint.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

when your phone makes a loud *DING* in a quiet room/office because your finger accidentally brushed against that microphone key (located directly next to the drat space bar that you're tapping all the time)

does ios13 do anything about this

This isn’t the right thread for it but holy gently caress I sure hope so. It’s super loving annoying.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Might have missed it, but did Remote app break for everyone else if you updated to TVOS 13 beta? Updated my phone as well and it still didn’t fix the problem.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does the AT&T 35 streaming channels that you can get on the AT&T "Watch TV" app integrate seamlessly into the TV function of the ATV?

(I ask because apparently the WatchTV app is crap.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 9, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a Uverse TV app? I didn't even realise. The one on Firestick is pretty barebones and crap, the Xfinity one (only available on Roku still I believe) is so much better as it covers the whole channel base. I don't even think AT&T provide the backend for the channels and just use whatever feeds are available to them from outside. Was a disappointment after switching services for sure.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's a Uverse TV app? I didn't even realise. The one on Firestick is pretty barebones and crap, the Xfinity one (only available on Roku still I believe) is so much better as it covers the whole channel base. I don't even think AT&T provide the backend for the channels and just use whatever feeds are available to them from outside. Was a disappointment after switching services for sure.

I don't know if it is U-Verse or not (or if the distinction even matters). I upgraded to Unlimited Data on my iPhone and I was sent an email saying I now had free access to 35 streaming channels. So in my mind (after I went and saw the 1.6 star rating on the AT&T WATCH TV app on the App Store...) I was thinking oh hey can't I input my credentials in my ATV somewhere and just have it populate the ATV app and integrate there. But I may be confusing how these things work...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Given Netflix's "success" of losing a lot of subscribers, I'm hoping against hope that they'll integrate their terrible App with the AppleTV app. I'm personally mostly shunning Netflix and would love to cancel their asses, but other household members are still interested.

Reasons I hate the Netflix app:

- Not integrated with TV app
- Forced previews, often with elevator muzak not from the movie/show
- The loud "Bubumm" on startup
- Butchering of some content
- Does not reliably remember position in the show/movie

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

seriously how many people greenlit that startup noise and you can’t even turn it off wtf

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never had an issue with it remembering my place in shows/movies and I don’t mind the startup noise but WHYYY is everything moving to autoplaying previews. I can’t imagine anyone likes that and it honestly makes me want to use Netflix less every time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

screamin and creamin posted:

Given Netflix's "success" of losing a lot of subscribers, I'm hoping against hope that they'll integrate their terrible App with the AppleTV app. I'm personally mostly shunning Netflix and would love to cancel their asses, but other household members are still interested.

Reasons I hate the Netflix app:

- Not integrated with TV app
- Forced previews, often with elevator muzak not from the movie/show
- The loud "Bubumm" on startup
- Butchering of some content
- Does not reliably remember position in the show/movie

I cancelled it the day I got the price hike email back in April I think. I had been a subscriber for something like 8 or 9 years straight.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I recently got one of these and I'm really liking it so far. Just a quick question regarding airplay. It's automatically stopping when my phone screen locks. I have turned off auto locking but is there another fix for this issue?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It may depend on what you’re watching? I’ve definitely seen the same thing but I’ve also seen it continue to play even when locked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any guess on when a new ATV may be released? Need a new one for my basement but don’t want to be a rube and buy right before a refresh.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm unsure what a new version would even have. The 4K is a pretty full-featured device.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

American McGay posted:

I'm unsure what a new version would even have. The 4K is a pretty full-featured device.

Yeah, I have one and it’s pretty great. More of a checkin from a FOMO perspective.

I don’t even have 4K TVs yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, I have one and it’s pretty great. More of a checkin from a FOMO perspective.

I don’t even have 4K TVs yet.

You'll be fine. The chip in it handles 4K with ease and the ATV has a very long shelf life. Hell my mother in law is still using the old atv3 we gave her.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Apple Arcade + upcoming controller support might make them want to upgrade the internals for games, but revving hardware purely to help video games would be a sea change for Apple.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I picked up a 4K the other day. When I AirPlay Spotify to it via the little menu thing in the Spotify app, my TV turns on to a blank white screen and the music plays. Is this normal? Is there a setting to have it not turn my TV on? I'm guessing this is just a default placeholder screen thing since there's no Spotify app for tvOS.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dc3k posted:

I picked up a 4K the other day. When I AirPlay Spotify to it via the little menu thing in the Spotify app, my TV turns on to a blank white screen and the music plays. Is this normal? Is there a setting to have it not turn my TV on? I'm guessing this is just a default placeholder screen thing since there's no Spotify app for tvOS.

It is normal. Your AppleTV's video and audio plays through the TV. How would you be able to listen to Spotify through your AppleTV without the TV on?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be fair some devices (receivers?) have a sort of passthrough that would let you do something like that, but I digress

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
Seems like it would be preferable for the app to make the screen dark instead of white though for audio-only.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jabro posted:

How would you be able to listen to Spotify through your AppleTV without the TV on?

My Apple TV is plugged into my receiver, not my TV, so it should theoretically be possible to do this without the TV on. But I guess with the lovely state of HDMI control, Apple TV tells my receiver to turn on, which also turns my TV on (and that is what I would want to happen in every single case but this one)

No big deal, I was just making sure something wasn't broken somewhere and I was supposed be seeing something else.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dc3k posted:

AirPlay to the receiver instead, assuming your receiver has airplay capability.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a setting (besides the sleep timeout) that won’t let the Apple TV shut off if something is being airplayed to the ATV?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

AirPlay to the receiver instead, assuming your receiver has airplay capability.

My onkyo allows this but for some reason (and I’ve read other people say this too) I believe it uses the phone volume to decide how loud it should be and holy hell will it wake the neighborhood if your volume is up. Too scared to ever use it again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
edit: Im a big dumb poopie head.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 22, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Happy ECG Day, Canada
Do you have to connect leads to your AppleTV?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
ah poo poo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There is actually an ECG app for the Apple TV!

(It's a simulator for medical professionals to learn how to diagnose things, it's kinda neat but I have no idea how good it is not being a medical professional).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That’s pretty cool

I’m still kinda frustrated I settled down before I got my ATV. Sitting on the couch and swiping tinder on the big screen sounds dope