Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

Girl Ramuh. Ramuh 1/2.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

This is becoming tedious.

Every day since Shadowbringers there is a queue to get into the world. Then DPS role positions are higher than 30, meaning roulette queues are upwards of 20 minute waits.

this is pretty normal for dps anyways. i think things are starting to normalize with tanks/healers being fast queues again.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Obligatum VII posted:

Still has the beard though

WoL gets confused about which Primal he fought in the Twelveswood. Summons God-King Ramuh Mog instead. It's just a moogle with the beard.

the full size beard on a normal sized moogle

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

This is becoming tedious.

Every day since Shadowbringers there is a queue to get into the world. Then DPS role positions are higher than 30, meaning roulette queues are upwards of 20 minute waits.

become the healer you want to see in the queue

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Mythril Tempest is one of the few positive changes Warrior received with ShB. I feel very strongly about this.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh right, speaking of voice acting, accents, and actors, I got reminded of THIS reddit thread.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/c6v5o8/lynas_accent_no_spoilers/?st=jy8g9gkm&sh=5dc4e8e1

Beware, there's some maximum-level curse at the bottom of the page. JFC, dude, get the gently caress out of whatever the hell place you've lived in your entire life and meet some loving people.

Imagine thinking Lyna’s voice actress was bad after the Attack on Lakeland. I actually wanted to cry from that performance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

queeb posted:

this is pretty normal for dps anyways. i think things are starting to normalize with tanks/healers being fast queues again.

The other night ADR had DPS in need, I queued as DPS, but it still took 10 minutes to go. It was weird.

But yeah, healer queues are fast. Good time to level a healer WHM.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think there was a mandate to never again use fancy names for left and right if the mechanic comes out quickly.

Which is terrible.

Thank goodness because that Omega fight melts my brain. :v: Even though I've worked out "Larboard, starts with L = Left" my brain always takes a second too long to process, and then the fucker turns around and I then have to do the calculation again "oh if he's doing the other one, I stay put, but if he's - oh, Im dead."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I basically did everything from I think Prelude in Violet to actually starting ShB this morning and it was nuts. And from reading this thread it's supposed to get better from here so I'm so pumped :neckbeard:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

During the third Eden fight, I had a healer almost panic when they saw my robot standing in the middle of huge aoe attack. Later in the fight Leviathan destroyed the ground under my robot and he just kept punching away at the boss while standing in midair.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Semi Spoiler for 76-77/End of MSQ
It's funny though (removed the BBCode since the video wasn't obeying spoiler tags)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9DUt3yN3ue0

Bremma fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 18, 2019

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Since I got into the ground floor of this expansion, I'm finally elevating myself from the casual to savage raiding in a static. It's all new to me, so how much consideration should I put into materia and gear? Any other tips? I know my rotation pretty well as a DPS (and have started tracking dps in ACT), so I figure that's a start.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That robot and DRK’s phantom tank have definitely caused me some “who the duck is that idio- ohhh” moments.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That robot and DRK’s phantom tank have definitely caused me some “who the duck is that idio- ohhh” moments.

Saaaaaaaame

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

But, also, it makes my wrist sore.

yeah; whenever i talk about nuMCH i tend to make a joke about my wrists exploding. which... isn’t really a joke, and i don’t try to make it a meme, but seriously if i go hard with MCH hands start to get tense

of course, it doesn’t help that i think i’ve been developing a bit of RSI before this

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bremma posted:

Semi Spoiler for 76-77 MSQ
It's funny though (removed the BBCode since the video wasn't obeying spoiler tags)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9DUt3yN3ue0

There's a spoiler for something later too, I'd still not watch unless you've done MSQ.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Bremma posted:

Semi Spoiler for 76-77 MSQ

:perfect:

ps. contextless area spoiler beyond the 77 msq
They coulda thrown the e1 end attack in.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Quote != Edit, but thanks for catching that other possibly spoiler, edited the main post!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sarrisan posted:

Imagine thinking Lyna’s voice actress was bad after the Attack on Lakeland. I actually wanted to cry from that performance.

"Fake accent"

I hate my dumb idiot xenophobic country so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I learned an important lesson yesterday. I couldn't get a group that could clear E4, and then as soon as I got a group where more than half of the group claimed to already be drunk, we cleared first try.

What I learned was never raid sober, is what I'm saying.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

"Fake accent"

I hate my dumb idiot xenophobic country so much

Complaining about someone's terrible fake accent when it is actually their real accent is a time honored tradition, especially for Final Fantasy.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Harrow posted:

never raid sober

Especially never DF raid sober.

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

jokes posted:

TBN, if used correctly, is a better value proposition than just using a MP attack since it costs the same and frees up the healer to do damage (assuming they're not honest). So, if you're smart you'll recognize when you can TBN and have it be consumed, and you'll always do that as much as possible. This conserves healer MP and keeps them glaring.

There's not much reason to TBN raid damage, but fully consumed TBN on auto attacks and junk like that are where the good dorks are separated from the also good dorks who otherwise just TBN tank busters. The bad dorks are any dorks that let a TBN fall off, unconsumed. Like finding an abandoned, full beer at a party, an unconsumed TBN is a great tragedy.

Sorry to drag this back up from two pages ago but I went to bed right after my last reply.

This argument you're making honestly has a pretty major flaw. Auto attack damage is rarely a major concern to most healers under normal circumstances. With an hp pool of 120k, TBN gives you a 30k shield which will cover 2 auto attacks before it breaks. Sure you stopped 30k damage from happening but unless your healers really needed that mitigation (like they're busy trying to raise people), they likely aren't going to really notice and do things differently. TBN works so well for tankbusters because it scales extremely well when paired with mitigation cooldowns like Rampart and Shadow Wall and you lose that scaling when you use it by itself on autos.

As other people pointed out before, TBN is generally no better a use of your MP than using Flood or Edge unless you're trying to bank a Dark Arts for a burst window or actually saving your healers some gcds. It's a great tool that can help your group beyond just shielding yourself but my general advice to new DRKs is to focus on using it for tankbusters until you're more comfortable with the class and fights. Once you've gotten used to the timing of things, experimenting with TBN can be really good and make things even smoother while not compromising your own defenses.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want a raid version of 8's zombie George Bush fight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

of course, it doesn't help that i think i've been developing a bit of RSI before this

Make sure you keep your back/shoulder muscles and flexors/extensors stretched and exercised, as well as maintaining good posture. Referred pain can sometimes mimic the symptoms of RSI, like tingling/numbness and stiffness. I've found that my rhomboids (the interscapular muscles underneath the lower trapezius muscles) and my flexors (the large bundle of muscles that stick out on the thumb side of your arm) are usually the largest problem areas when using a computer, as the rhomboids can get easily worn out if your shoulders are hunched forwards, and your flexors - assuming a normal mouse grip - get twisted due to you having to pronate your arm. If I go several days doing computer work without taking adequate breaks that include stretching and massaging the muscles, my hands start to feel ridiculously stiff and immobile, and I sometimes wake up with referred tingling/numbness, until I let them rest and aggressively break up trigger points.

What I've done for a while now is hold my mouse so that the elbow is flexed outwards slightly (by about 10'-20' from neutral), my mouse is at a similar angle, and my wrist is rotated so that it's about 2/3rds of the way to laying on its side. This puts the wrist more in supination than pronation, which helps to reduce strain on the muscles and wrist over time. You can also consider buying a vertical mouse which is designed specifically for a more supinated position, but it can be a bit tricky to do precision mouse work with it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Kaubocks posted:

yeah; whenever i talk about nuMCH i tend to make a joke about my wrists exploding. which... isn’t really a joke, and i don’t try to make it a meme, but seriously if i go hard with MCH hands start to get tense

of course, it doesn’t help that i think i’ve been developing a bit of RSI before this

I've switched to a controller (with some numbpad stuff) because I've been dealing with some really bad RSI in both wrists for 2 or 3 years and it's been a god send honestly.

Only real issue I've had is with targeting in single player duties when there are heaps of friendlies about

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Love the bit near the end of Heavensward where Tataru is like “I taught myself to sew while waiting for you in Ishgard and made a dress” then reveals the most expertly made complex dress ever. I’m like “drat girl it’s been like a week”.

She is too pure for this world.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
In honor of the new raids, I've been thinking about making a Laguna glamour for my MCH. Does anyone know of a good matching chest piece and weapon?

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zgoUP4Ch5E

Side note: I kind of wish MCH limit break got to swing around on a rope while blasting fools.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Eden 4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vermain posted:

Make sure you keep your back/shoulder muscles and flexors/extensors stretched and exercised, as well as maintaining good posture. Referred pain can sometimes mimic the symptoms of RSI, like tingling/numbness and stiffness. I've found that my rhomboids (the interscapular muscles underneath the lower trapezius muscles) and my flexors (the large bundle of muscles that stick out on the thumb side of your arm) are usually the largest problem areas when using a computer, as the rhomboids can get easily worn out if your shoulders are hunched forwards, and your flexors - assuming a normal mouse grip - get twisted due to you having to pronate your arm. If I go several days doing computer work without taking adequate breaks that include stretching and massaging the muscles, my hands start to feel ridiculously stiff and immobile, and I sometimes wake up with referred tingling/numbness, until I let them rest and aggressively break up trigger points.

What I've done for a while now is hold my mouse so that the elbow is flexed outwards slightly (by about 10'-20' from neutral), my mouse is at a similar angle, and my wrist is rotated so that it's about 2/3rds of the way to laying on its side. This puts the wrist more in supination than pronation, which helps to reduce strain on the muscles and wrist over time. You can also consider buying a vertical mouse which is designed specifically for a more supinated position, but it can be a bit tricky to do precision mouse work with it.

A split keyboard can also be helpful when gaming so that you can move the second half out of the way to bring your mouse in closer in order to reduce strain on shoulder and arm. I am a huge fanboy of the Kinesis Freestyle Edge for gaming, but it is expensive. Especially when you need to add in the lift kit to really make it shine.

And, yeah, I like vertical mice, too, but am unable to use them for anything that requires quick mouse movement. Mainly because moving it away from my body is more difficult and re-centering it on my mouse pad takes a lot of time (you have to tilt before picking up and moving). I use an Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 all the time for non-gaming purposes, though. And I see they have an updated C series. May need to check that out closer next paycheck.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

mouse button keybinds are a godsend for ogcd intensive jobs and if you've got anything with side buttons I highly recommend using them. having the buttons you press a lot in comfortable configurations makes a huge difference.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tainen posted:

Love the bit near the end of Heavensward where Tataru is like “I taught myself to sew while waiting for you in Ishgard and made a dress” then reveals the most expertly made complex dress ever. I’m like “drat girl it’s been like a week”.

You will find Taturu is wonderful, as well as a horrible person

That's why she's the best

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

In honor of the new raids, I've been thinking about making a Laguna glamour for my MCH. Does anyone know of a good matching chest piece and weapon?

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zgoUP4Ch5E

Side note: I kind of wish MCH limit break got to swing around on a rope while blasting fools.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/dcb8286c4a4/

Unfortunately it's crafted and quite expensive.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've a weird question - how difficult is it for someone casual and guildless to get a Genji weapon now? I've never done any Omega raids so I assume I'd have to work my way through them somehow, and even then I'm not sure how many clears would be needed to get a weapon. Is it something I could realistically do through the party finder (at level 80)?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a simplified list of what optional dungeons/boss fights to unlock as you progress through the game as a new player? I'm halfway through HW and want to eventually unlock/run all the optional dungeons/boss fights and run them at least once to experience them. I've heard you can fight gilgamesh in ARR?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I was thinking less 'beach casual Laguna' and more like the reference video when he's still got the blue jacket and white shirt under. Not that the button-up isn't sharp, it's just that it's kind of generic and pretty ubiquitous to anyone who either crafts or has $$moneybux$$ to spend on it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

Quoiting this so I can dig it up for future reference. I was dealing with some RSI symptoms last year and I think it might have tied into this. I messed around with my ergonomics a bunch and I think it helped my hands, but I still have occasional things and has kinda left my setup kinda uncomfortable in other ways. (Being short I've found it really hard to find a desk that goes low enough for me.)

Any exercise/stretch routines you can refer/link to? I hardly know half of the muscles by name so I'm not really sure what to look up/where to start.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I pinched my ulnar nerve at work and my left pinky is difficult to control now, making modifier keys harder. What can I do for that?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Hope that the Eden Savage unlock quest is called The Fast & The Earthen Fury-est

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

thanks; i'll have to refer to this when i have more time to dig in. i try to at least do some hand/wrist stretches on the reg but i'm a forgetful bitch, so

Shoehead posted:

I've switched to a controller (with some numbpad stuff) because I've been dealing with some really bad RSI in both wrists for 2 or 3 years and it's been a god send honestly.

Only real issue I've had is with targeting in single player duties when there are heaps of friendlies about

some day i should really bite the bullet and learn controller. i'm just such an old man set in his ways at this point though ughhhhh

Kibner posted:

A split keyboard can also be helpful when gaming so that you can move the second half out of the way to bring your mouse in closer in order to reduce strain on shoulder and arm. I am a huge fanboy of the Kinesis Freestyle Edge for gaming, but it is expensive. Especially when you need to add in the lift kit to really make it shine.

this sounds pretty cool, and i should look into one sometime. on a bit of a strained budget atm though so don't think it's something i can swing any time soon

CYBEReris posted:

mouse button keybinds are a godsend for ogcd intensive jobs and if you've got anything with side buttons I highly recommend using them. having the buttons you press a lot in comfortable configurations makes a huge difference.

yeah, hoping to invest in an mmo mouse sometime. as is i currently have things bound to M3, M5, and a an extra mouse button i have bound to Num8 for a few more. i find i end up gripping my mouse too tightly though in high excitement situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tainen posted:

Tataru is the only lala in this game that I don't want to windmill swing into a wall. Protect Tataru.