Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

qhat posted:

Submitting resumes is a good problem to have

Assuming it's not because of apathy with the whole process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I interviewed someone today who asked me, rapid fire, questions about our testing stack and then retracted his offer mid interview. His reason was "your stack isn't wrong, but it's more trouble than it's worth to maintain".

I've never been so owned interviewing someone in my life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TimWinter posted:

I interviewed someone today who asked me, rapid fire, questions about our testing stack and then retracted his offer mid interview. His reason was "your stack isn't wrong, but it's more trouble than it's worth to maintain".

lmao I would extend him an offer anyways. That dude has some gusto.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

TimWinter posted:

I should have done this because our testing is loving abominable

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

:drat:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

This is me except in my head

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

qhat posted:

This is me except in my head

right? :smith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

TimWinter posted:

that's some stone cold poo poo.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
did an application yesterday for a large polling, consulting, assessment firm. part of the application was a 45 minute personality assessment. now i have an interview scheduled for tomorrow with them and i looked up interviews on glassdoor for this company and it seems like its just a hell of personality assessments all the way down.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so my recruiter's boss reached out to me because the recruiter is on pto. she's calling me today at 2pm with "good news" now to make it till then without telling my director(who put me on pip for refusing to work weekends and is onsite from head office) smdftb during the team meeting today.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KidDynamite posted:

so my recruiter's boss reached out to me because the recruiter is on pto. she's calling me today at 2pm with "good news" now to make it till then without telling my director(who put me on pip for refusing to work weekends and is onsite from head office) smdftb during the team meeting today.

pip pip cheerio

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

TimWinter posted:

:drat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TimWinter posted:

holy poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

TimWinter posted:

amazing

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

KidDynamite posted:

... suck my dick gently caress this bitch?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

TimWinter posted:

Beautiful

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

... suck my dick gently caress this bitch?

I think the kids say from the back these days

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

140k!!! no signing bonus, 20% annual bonus plus rsu's

what does that translate to in figgies?

Asleep Style posted:

I think the kids say from the back these days

correct!

edit: also i tried to negotiate way too passively by asking if there was any wiggle room and got shut down. should have been direct and said i'd like 150. they are emailing me the offer though so maybe i can try via email that way my dumb mouth doesn't gently caress it up.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 18, 2019

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Grats on the new offer and for leaving your old lovely boss.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

KidDynamite posted:

correct!

edit: also i tried to negotiate way too passively by asking if there was any wiggle room and got shut down. should have been direct and said i'd like 150. they are emailing me the offer though so maybe i can try via email that way my dumb mouth doesn't gently caress it up.

you done good congrats

asur
Dec 28, 2012
At least ask for a signing bonus to cover the bonus you're losing by leaving mid-year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidDynamite posted:

correct!

that's a good base but no signing bonus is bs. my base is close to that and I got a 25k signing bonus.

how big is your initial rsu grant and what is the vesting schedule?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

that's a good base but no signing bonus is bs. my base is close to that and I got a 25k signing bonus.

how big is your initial rsu grant and what is the vesting schedule?

there's no initial value provided for rsu grants and the vesting schedule is 25% every year and they're granted in april. so 1 year 8 months before i see any of that.

i think i def should try to negotiate for higher base or at least a hefty sign on. just going to word it nicely as possible something like "with the responsibilities of the role and the value i am bringing blah blah blah i would feel more comfortable with 150k base"

is that reasonable?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidDynamite posted:

there's no initial value provided for rsu grants and the vesting schedule is 25% every year and they're granted in april. so 1 year 8 months before i see any of that.

i think i def should try to negotiate for higher base or at least a hefty sign on. just going to word it nicely as possible something like "with the responsibilities of the role and the value i am bringing blah blah blah i would feel more comfortable with 150k base"

is that reasonable?

how is there no initial value? is the stock not worth anything? my first rsu grant was worth 105000 bucks

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

how is there no initial value? is the stock not worth anything? my first rsu grant was worth 105000 bucks

I know what the stock is worth but not how much they're planning on giving me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidDynamite posted:

I know what the stock is worth but not how much they're planning on giving me.

negotiate the size of the grant then. you should not be accepting an offer with any aspect of your comp unspecified. no signing bonus and no guarantee of signing grant amount is shifty as hell.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

is that reasonable?

You're effectively working for 8 months without the RSU portion of your compensation which is atrocious. If you don't need this job I'd ask for a signing bonus that is worth the bonus amount that is prorated plus the value of 8 months of RSUs.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's likely a bonus under the form of a RSU, are you sure that's not what the 20% they mentioned as a bonus?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MononcQc posted:

It's likely a bonus under the form of a RSU, are you sure that's not what the 20% they mentioned as a bonus?

the 20% is an annual bonus that can be modified based on company and individual performance. so there's an rsu grant and annual bonus. but those are both a little too nebulous for me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

you’re basically at p dece six and a half figgies. grats. next level is 6.5 figgies at roughly $320k

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

had my interview Wednesday, finally, after applying in March. now just waiting to hear, supposed to know next week.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
place i'm interviewing at has decided to add an on-site interview halfway across the country which is news to me!

I think they always intended to do an on-site, but they forgot to tell me apparently?

I'm half-thinking I should just give it the ol' Dwight Schrute and be like "Look, you've interviewed 3 guys, 2 of them sucked but you're too nice to tell them no. And then you interviewed me who figured out how your codebase was costing you 100 extra dollars a month just from your codepen example. Do you want to waste time and money flying me out there or are you going to hire me? Hire me, do it now. 3. 2. 1. Hire me. Do it."

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

145k with a 5k signing bonus! Got some help from my cousin-in-law who is a HR consultant. she wrote a way better email than what i intended to send.

lessons learned: never give a number first, always negotiate.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Grats. Did you get the RSU stuff clarified?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

this is the real poo poo right here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KidDynamite posted:

145k with a 5k signing bonus! Got some help from my cousin-in-law who is a HR consultant. she wrote a way better email than what i intended to send.

i mean, you can give a number first, if it seems like the right move

it just often isn't the right move

definitely never, ever, ever get bullied into giving a number first. give a number when, and if, necessary

never give a number to recruiters or hr before the interview. it can only hurt you at that point. the time to talk numbers is after everyone has got acquainted face to faec

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
landed an onsite with that company on monday. they want me to take another online personality assessment this weekend, then do an onsite tech assessment, and apparently during the interview will do an in person personality assessment based on the results of my other assessment. fuckin hell this is a lot of work

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
They're gonna give you one of those Harry Potter personality quizzes to find out what house you belong to so they can put you on the appropriate team.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

remember, children are brave, evil, smart, or miscellaneous just like adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

remember, children are brave, evil, smart, or miscellaneous just like adults

do you suppose it's hard to find a job after graduation if you major in "evildoing" at the wizard college