Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Oracle posted:

You have to cancel your existing subscription first, but yeah, after you do so and its confirmed, check the subscription page again and see if they offer you the current deal. If they don't just call the 1-800 number and ask for it. If they say no, call again, some agents don't know wtf they're doing. I've done this like four years in a row now. They offer another deal just after the new year you can also jump on the same way for another six months. NEVER PAY FULL PRICE.

Are the all-in global or newspaper plans worth it? I've been through most of what I can find for free on familysearch, and I'm curious if I should expect ancestry to have significantly improved access to documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Thanks for the ancestry tip. Mine was scheduled to renew tomorrow!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Naffer posted:

Are the all-in global or newspaper plans worth it? I've been through most of what I can find for free on familysearch, and I'm curious if I should expect ancestry to have significantly improved access to documents.

World is great, I've never found the newspapers or Fold3 to be all that useful but it depends on where you're looking. Most of my people are from New York (Fulton County is a free site that rocks for small town New York newspapers) or Michigan and all Michigan papers I can access through a university account or have to go onsite. Fold3 has some military stuff I guess but most of it is as you said available on familysearch for free and if I really need it I can just go to the library and use their access for free.

Interestingly the 99/6 mo deal apparently includes Fold3 and newspapers along with World so I guess we'll see what we can find!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fold3 used to be good. I found a ton of stuff from my no good Confederate ancestors, including reimbursement records for things like horses. Then Ancestry bought them and their quality dropped like a brick.

I did a trial of newspapers.com and that’s really good for recent family history. I came from a prominent Atlanta family so there were a surprising number of articles about my great grandparents and grandmother. It’s where I learned my GGrandfather was a pallbearer for a friend’s funeral 3 days before he had his own fatal heart attack.

My dad’s side was not so prominent, but even there I managed to find his stepfather’s separate convictions for larceny and kidnapping in the newspaper. My wife’s people in rural New England are all over the site for drunk driving convictions. So it isn’t just obituaries, it’s embarrassing family history too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fold3 used to be good. I found a ton of stuff from my no good Confederate ancestors, including reimbursement records for things like horses. Then Ancestry bought them and their quality dropped like a brick.

I did a trial of newspapers.com and that’s really good for recent family history. I came from a prominent Atlanta family so there were a surprising number of articles about my great grandparents and grandmother. It’s where I learned my GGrandfather was a pallbearer for a friend’s funeral 3 days before he had his own fatal heart attack.

My dad’s side was not so prominent, but even there I managed to find his stepfather’s separate convictions for larceny and kidnapping in the newspaper. My wife’s people in rural New England are all over the site for drunk driving convictions. So it isn’t just obituaries, it’s embarrassing family history too.

Yeah I think all I found was my drunk great-grandfather being arraigned for stealing firewood (they were piss poor and he'd just come over from Ireland so it was probably to heat their house or something).

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
On newspapers.com I found a letter to the editor my dad had written as a teenager in the 60s about seeing a UFO. I come by my love of the supernatural, naturally.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

World is, as expected, still a total bust for my mom's family :( But I've been slowly working on DNA tests so I'm just waiting for those results to come in before I'll try for a refund. (Thinking maybe if she gets any distant relative hits it might somehow be more useful for them...)

Yeah in your case familyfinder might be a better bet, I'm not sure how much they have on the Philippines but its gotta be more than Asian-poor to nonexistent Ancestry. You might also consider checking in the Tourism and Travel Southeast Asia thread, there are expats there that might know some poor grad student looking to make some money by digging through records for you.

As far dad's family, have you entered in that bible info into a tree yet? Their new thrulines is pretty impressive at combining DNA matches and potential relationships when people's info is correct. Oh also have your dad test at ancestry too (I'm assuming you've done this as you did say he did multiple tests). Could have mom test too (tests are on sale for 59 bucks til 9pm PST tmw at ancestry) and make it easy to sort out which side your matches are on. There is a definite dearth of Asian testers on ancestry (and all the major groups honestly) but the ones you do match get really excited, and I think there is a potential for a lot more Filipinos than other Asians just given the relationship between there and the U.S.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This is a really interesting read and while especially relevant for American researchers, Canadian and Europeans are not immune (hi Prince William's Indian 4th great-grandma!)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm loving the Thru Lines. It helped confirm a few iffy branches of my tree and bust through a brick wall. I had been stuck filling in half-assed family trees for years looking for connections, and now Ancestry (mostly) does that for me!

Oracle posted:

This is a really interesting read and while especially relevant for American researchers, Canadian and Europeans are not immune (hi Prince William's Indian 4th great-grandma!)
A French-Canadian branch of my tree ran into a very hard brick wall when I was starting my research years ago. It took a ~3rd cousin years of detective work to determine that the most likely reason is that an ancestor had a Native mother. Thus the birth was not recorded by the local parish, which is unusual because Catholic family records in Canada are pretty much completely preserved. Then DNA proved the male line that had been hypothesized, so I think it's correct. (Also my mom was told "we have a drop of Indian blood" by her dad, but it was hard to tell if this was meant seriously)

I would think that DNA tests pointing to non-white heritage would help people uncover those types of situations. However, the complete lack of documentation of non-whites and the sometimes "margin of error" amounts of DNA from ancestors 150-250 years ago means that DNA can only do so much right now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ditch posted:

I'm loving the Thru Lines. It helped confirm a few iffy branches of my tree and bust through a brick wall. I had been stuck filling in half-assed family trees for years looking for connections, and now Ancestry (mostly) does that for me!

A French-Canadian branch of my tree ran into a very hard brick wall when I was starting my research years ago. It took a ~3rd cousin years of detective work to determine that the most likely reason is that an ancestor had a Native mother. Thus the birth was not recorded by the local parish, which is unusual because Catholic family records in Canada are pretty much completely preserved. Then DNA proved the male line that had been hypothesized, so I think it's correct. (Also my mom was told "we have a drop of Indian blood" by her dad, but it was hard to tell if this was meant seriously)

I would think that DNA tests pointing to non-white heritage would help people uncover those types of situations. However, the complete lack of documentation of non-whites and the sometimes "margin of error" amounts of DNA from ancestors 150-250 years ago means that DNA can only do so much right now.

I would think the Catholics would be all over marriages to 'sauvages' as I've seen it mentioned several times in my own research. Another possibility is that the child was born/baptized elsewhere. French voyageurs got around. Like seriously got around. I've had different kids of the same parents born in Detroit one year and Montreal the next.

And DNA tends to 'wash out' after about six generations, so if you weren't replenishing that Indian blood there may be no DNA to find. This is one of the rare cases an mtDNA test might help determine the validity of the claim.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The wash-out effect is real, and is why I strongly encourage everyone to do tests on the oldest generation of relatives they have. For instance, siblings of grandparents (or great-grandparents!) are just as good if that's what's available. Snagging some DNA from relatives in my grandparents' generation led to breakthroughs that wouldn't have happened if I just settled for my parents.

If you're in your 30s-40s, that means your grandparents' generation. If you're younger, you might even have some still around from the generation before that.

Birth/marriage/death records are unlikely to disappear moving forward. DNA is guaranteed to disappear unless you preserve it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ditch posted:

The wash-out effect is real, and is why I strongly encourage everyone to do tests on the oldest generation of relatives they have. For instance, siblings of grandparents (or great-grandparents!) are just as good if that's what's available. Snagging some DNA from relatives in my grandparents' generation led to breakthroughs that wouldn't have happened if I just settled for my parents.

If you're in your 30s-40s, that means your grandparents' generation. If you're younger, you might even have some still around from the generation before that.

Birth/marriage/death records are unlikely to disappear moving forward. DNA is guaranteed to disappear unless you preserve it.

Same! My great-aunt has confirmed a lot of research. My dad and his sister (especially her, they're the lowest-match full siblings I've ever seen and it seems like she got all my grandma's Irish DNA, so many more matches on that side than my dad) have opened a lot of doors too. It also helps to test relatives on both sides if you can just so you can determine which side matches belong to who might otherwise have absolutely no clue. I can easily file people by branch with private trees or no trees just based on shared cousin matches and common surnames on ancestry.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hells yeah where my German Catholic descendants at?

quote:

"One of the most important church archives in Germany will soon be available online. Among the approximately four million digitized pages are also the oldest document in the Archives of the Archdiocese, a document by Bishop Otto I from 1147, all the historical baptismal, marriage and death records of the archdiocese and the oldest diocesan description of 1315. "( Vatican News)

The new web presence of the archive will be available from 15 July, the matrices from 16 July 2019 online here: https://www.erzbistum-muenchen.de/archiv-und-bibliothek

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 10, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweet! Idk if I have anyone in the area, but it sounds like it will be free as opposed to the https://www.archion.de* stuff so that's cool!

You can check PDFs of the contents they have at the bottom here (orange links under Pfarrmatrikeln im Archiv des Erzbistums München und Freising):
https://www.erzbistum-muenchen.de/ordinariat/buero-des-kanzlers/cont/67271

* which I guess is protestant only anyway, maybe?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Sweet! Idk if I have anyone in the area, but it sounds like it will be free as opposed to the https://www.archion.de* stuff so that's cool!

You can check PDFs of the contents they have at the bottom here (orange links under Pfarrmatrikeln im Archiv des Erzbistums München und Freising):
https://www.erzbistum-muenchen.de/ordinariat/buero-des-kanzlers/cont/67271

* which I guess is protestant only anyway, maybe?

Yeah but that's because the Catholic Church has been very leery of allowing any records online as a general rule. Privacy concerns or what I don't know but I even had to go to the archives in Detroit to look at my great-grandparents wedding record (it was on microfiche but they had a deal with the archives that they could have it if they promised to never put it online, same deal at a place in Pennsylvania I was researching).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah. Maybe we'll get a papal bull on the virtues of online genealogy lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any chance those records would include countries bordering Germany? I've got some Stauffer's from Switzerland that I'm always up on researching.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Any chance those records would include countries bordering Germany? I've got some Stauffer's from Switzerland that I'm always up on researching.

Switzerland is always a pain in the rear end, this just applies to Munich and surrounding.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

*tsk* The Archdiocese of Freiburg would be so much more helpful to me. Oh well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

*tsk* The Archdiocese of Freiburg would be so much more helpful to me. Oh well.

Check familysearch? They have some from back in the 30s when they were roaming all over Germany raiding every churchbook they could get their hands on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Even some that were lost in WW2

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Even some that were lost in WW2

Yes, thankfully (though not my Pomeranian records, of course, oh no, that would be TOO EASY).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If only the Mormons had managed to baptize hitler before he became evil....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In my obsessive quest to discover new personalia from the Era of the Burnt Church Registers, I'm going through pretty much every relevant preserved document and volume in the archives. Found a cool one a couple weeks ago:

In 1733, the administration for the jurisdiction changed, and the new administrator was clearly trying to clean up his predecessors mess. Lots of back & forth with the state, new cadastres worked out, renumbering of houses, revaluations of fields, etc.

Another thing he did was put together a ledger of outstanding concerns for underaged heirs in the probate court, in which he went through the probate court proceedings going back 20 years and added entries detailing a) date of probate, b) the deceased, c) the heirs, and d) their lots & guardians (also the opposing pages are reserved for later updates & corrections, though most are undated). These entries were organized by original probate book, at the time numbered 1-4. After going through the ledger, I have verified that the first 3 books are still preserved in the archives, however the 4th is not!

Thus, there is now new information for a number of lost probates from the period 1728–33 :woop:

I estimate that at most ~15-20% of the probates in the lost book were relevant for his ledger (many had no money or no heirs, or things were resolved before 1733, etc), but that's still a considerable amount of new information!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God you make me jealous with all your ancient archive digging.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I love it, it's so much fun! :neckbeard:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also his handwriting and organization is super neat and legible (the first page about the lost book):

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There is a special place in heaven for those public servants with good penmanship.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

There is a special place in heaven for those public servants with good penmanship.

Heck yeah!

Also, I should say that the above "underaged heirs" is inaccurate. They're umyndige = not myndige = not legal persons; that is women and underaged men. In some cases, widows could be considered myndige on their own (for example, they were able to own and run a business). Unmarried women would not become myndige on the same terms as men until 1857, and married women became myndige in 1899 (until then they were under their husband's guardianship).

I don't know an English adjective that accurately fits the Danish word, if one exists...

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 12, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Got Amazon Prime? Get an Ancestry DNA test for $49 today and tomorrow only with free shipping!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well drat this's cool.

quote:

Genealogy registers, of families, maintained by Brahmin Pandits (Priests) or ‘Pandas’, who double up as professional genealogists, at Haridwar, has been a subject of study for many years now.[1][2] In several cases, these voluminous records or Vahis (Bahi), have also been used in settling legal cases regarding inheritance or property disputes, as these records are held sacrosanct both by the pilgrims and the Pandas themselves,[1] and in many places these records trace family history, for over twenty prior generations, stretching across many centuries.[3][4]

As Haridwar has traditionally been a site, for death rites and also Shraaddha, amongst Hindus, it soon also became customary for the family pandits (priest) to record each visit of the family, along with their gotra, family tree, marriages and members present etc., grouped according to family and home town. And over the centuries, these registers became an important genealogical source for many families, part of splintered families, in tracing their family tree and family history as well, especially after the Partition of India in 1947, and later amongst the Indian diaspora,[5][6]

This custom is similar to Panjis or Panji Prabandh, the extensive genealogical records maintained among Maithil Brahmins in Bihar.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Oracle posted:

Switzerland is always a pain in the rear end, this just applies to Munich and surrounding.
[seinfeld]What's the deal... with Swiss records?[/seinfeld]

It kills me knowing that the one place 100% guaranteed to have meticulous, well-preserved records is a black hole.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ditch posted:

[seinfeld]What's the deal... with Swiss records?[/seinfeld]

It kills me knowing that the one place 100% guaranteed to have meticulous, well-preserved records is a black hole.

They're all douchebags who refuse to share any records for privacy reasons (related to the fact that they don't want to make it easy for people to claim Swiss citizenship) unless you're a proven direct descendant. I mean its quite possible but its not 'hey look this record up on Ancestry' easy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Even for Confederates?

I've got plenty of info on his spouse, so I'll have to look into that. I even found some CSA paperwork on him, but parents were not among that documentation. Still any direction is a good one.

EDIT: looks like rebels are a little trickier. I have to go through the individual states (states rights LOL). I'll have to see if Sherman missed a spot and any paperwork missed being burned.

Ooh hey while digging through something totally unrelated I found this link to an archive in Louisiana for a searchable online index of Confederate pensions!
https://www.sos.la.gov/HistoricalResources/ResearchHistoricalRecords/LocateHistoricalRecords/Pages/ConfederatePensionDatabase.aspx These are for the state of Louisiana only, sadly, but hey, I think you said he moved to Georgia. Confederate soldiers were encouraged to apply from the states they ended up in in 1879 not where they served, so...

Georgia:
https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/TestApps/search (token searching shows no Botts but a James Bett and a Martha Betts widow of JR Betts and Millie could be a nickname for Martha. Of course anything could be a nickname for Martha, so...)

(Here's the location of the rest of the southern states for those curious/future reference)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 20, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Interesting find. That's not mine because that guy survived until the end of the war whereas my ancestor died in a POW camp of yellow fever. But I have other Civil War era ancestors and a lot of them died in the war, so I'll run their names through those databases.

His wife Millie (Permillia) remarried and I presume her new husband died fighting Native Americans because I have her application for an Indian Wars pension as well as her Civil War application. So like a Black Widow, but instead of big life insurance policies she collected meager little pensions.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Interesting find. That's not mine because that guy survived until the end of the war whereas my ancestor died in a POW camp of yellow fever. But I have other Civil War era ancestors and a lot of them died in the war, so I'll run their names through those databases.

His wife Millie (Permillia) remarried and I presume her new husband died fighting Native Americans because I have her application for an Indian Wars pension as well as her Civil War application. So like a Black Widow, but instead of big life insurance policies she collected meager little pensions.
Oh right. Search under her name and the state she was living in at the time. Probably be her second husbands name.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I ended up finding some war widow info on one of my maternal lines in Florida, which I always found weird because who voluntarily moves to Florida in 1800's. Not many apparently.

There were also a bunch of property deeds in other states I checked. That's a good source for fleshing out details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Is there anything as satisfying as finding documents related to one of your ancestors by blindly stumbling through scanned microfilm copies of records for a county where you know they lived?
It seems like familysearch has a massive trove of digitized documents that just need a bit of OCR action.