Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shear Modulus posted:

it is indeed still an issue, many deviants still put ketchup on hot dogs

stop me bootlicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lancemantis posted:

Isn’t this some alibaba vertical?

Yeah, I just think it's hilarious they're outright advertising fake yeezys on one of the biggest websites in the world

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moridin920 posted:

I don't like dill :colbert:

urmom does though :grin:

The US did elect the cheeto benito so I'm going with "maybe"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Malachi Constant posted:

I just realized I may be old here. Y'all remember the "Freedom Fries" stuff from the Iraq War, right?

(If you don't know, France refused to join the coalition the US put together to invade Iraq in 2003, so we got "Freedom Fries", and "Freedom Toast" printed on actual menus at some places.)

Hunts ketchup

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What is it with Ameriacns constantly dissing the French? They saved your butts when you became a country and they even gave you your single most iconic structure, that liberty woman thing. Shouldn't you guys be best friends

look at this thing

it's the coolest thing in your whole country

Zzulu has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Jul 18, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Americans are deeply neurotic and at our core we envy the French for their love of protesting and rioting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Americans are deeply neurotic and at our core we envy the French for their love of protesting and rioting.

its this. deep down they know their proudest achievement is a pissy little tantrum over tea

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Zzulu posted:

What is it with Ameriacns constantly dissing the French? They saved your butts when you became a country and they even gave you your single most iconic structure, that liberty woman thing. Shouldn't you guys be best friends

Most recently it's due to their refusal to join the Iraq War. More generally it's inherited from the English combined with anti-Catholicism.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

MOO YORK CITY?!

Malachi Constant posted:

I just realized I may be old here. Y'all remember the "Freedom Fries" stuff from the Iraq War, right?

(If you don't know, France refused to join the coalition the US put together to invade Iraq in 2003, so we got "Freedom Fries", and "Freedom Toast" printed on actual menus at some places.)

it was the pentagon cafeteria originally then it spread to some other DC spots. DC is so bad

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zzulu posted:

look at this thing

I'm reminded of the Patriot, where the one French dude is treated as kind of a useless fop, even though they can't completely cut out the French contribution.

Theres also the bit at the end where he comes out in full ceremonial uniform "if I am going to die, at least I will die well dressed" and i think it was meant to be making fun of him, but really it just made him look like a badass.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Americans hate the french because in public school the only thing they are taught about France is that they surrendered during world war 2. Also there is an episode of the Simpsons where the school janitor calls them "cheese eating surrender monkeys" and for some reason this line really resonates with Americans. I still hear chud people who never watched the Simpsons call them that to this day.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Also, the only sauce that belongs on a hot dog is Kranch©. If you put any other sauce on there you are literally an incel. Approach me :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

look at this thing

What are you talking about, the statue of liberty has always been there and we just discovered it with the rest of the land god told us we could have

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Also, the only sauce that belongs on a hot dog is Kranch©. If you put any other sauce on there you are literally an incel. Approach me :colbert:

K-ranch sounds like a weird genre of korean country music

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Americans hate the french because in public school the only thing they are taught about France is that they surrendered during world war 2. Also there is an episode of the Simpsons where the school janitor calls them "cheese eating surrender monkeys" and for some reason this line really resonates with Americans. I still hear chud people who never watched the Simpsons call them that to this day.

What are you talking about, we also learn about the french revolution and how evil and horrible it was that those mean old peasants cut off the heads of the good innocent nobility.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zzulu posted:

look at this thing

the statue of liberty looks towards europe just as america should to learn what liberty really is

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zzulu posted:

What is it with Ameriacns constantly dissing the French?

its cause we suck rear end op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitfox88 posted:

It's this

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

kranch sounds like the past tense of crotch

goodbye

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Kitfox88 posted:

americans are dumb as poo poo and for being a country of militaristic war mongers, all we know is france rolled over for hitler and not "we wouldn't be a country without them because of their (justifiable) hatred of the british"

plus they out-libertied the gently caress out of us during their revolution

also, they did empire better than us too with plenty of atrocities, which Americans should love too!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I'm just waiting for them to release the ultimate condiment combination of relish and mustard and its inevitably unfortunate name.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Alucard posted:

I'm just waiting for them to release the ultimate condiment combination of relish and mustard and its inevitably unfortunate name.

mush? oh...OH

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eat This Glob posted:

americans are dumb as poo poo and for being a country of militaristic war mongers

European history only began 70 years ago.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The extent of formal education I received about France in the US:

5th grade: They showed up sometimes to help in the American revolution I guess and then we bought a bunch of land from them?

10th grade world history: they sure got beat up by the Germans twice in a row

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shame Boy posted:

What are you talking about, we also learn about the french revolution and how evil and horrible it was that those mean old peasants cut off the heads of the good innocent nobility.

alternatively, we're jealous because we didnt get to kill a king during our revolution
:black101:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Eat This Glob posted:

americans are dumb as poo poo and for being a country of militaristic war mongers, all we know is france rolled over for hitler and not "we wouldn't be a country without them because of their (justifiable) hatred of the british"

plus they out-libertied the gently caress out of us during their revolution

also, they did empire better than us too with plenty of atrocities, which Americans should love too!

There's also American resentment towards the French over Vietnam. They couldn't keep a lid on their own poo poo so we had to wade in and fail too. France, USA, China, back-to-back-to-back losers to Vietnam.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Irradiation posted:

The extent of formal education I received about France in the US:

5th grade: They showed up sometimes to help in the American revolution I guess and then we bought a bunch of land from them?

10th grade world history: they sure got beat up by the Germans twice in a row

Yeah they show up briefly during American History to sell a bunch of land to the US because big stupid Napoleon spent all the money on dumb poo poo like taking over europe and needed the cash, and maybe a little mention of "oh and they were cool during the revolution because they antagonized the British", and then during the second half of world history for the world wars. Also they show up a bunch during the earlier part of world history but I guarantee no highschool student in America makes the connection between e.g. that whole Charlemagne thing and modern France and just thinks Charlemagne was a thing that happened in another dimension with no connection to modern countries, because that sure as hell is how it's framed in the history books.

[A bunch of history happened somewhere who cares] -> [America exists] -> [every modern country suddenly pops into existence to colonize and later help or hurt America]

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

gently caress charlemagne

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Poor France. They had like a thousand years of fearsome military reputation. Then they get soft and capitulate early in just ONE WAR and ever since they've been denigrated as surrendering cowards who couldn't win a fight if their life depended on it.

Well, in the US at least. No sure about internationally. We aren't good at history.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Germans got stupid lucky in the Ardennes anyway.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jul 18, 2019

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

There's a cascade of "germans getting stupid lucky" combined with "france is ultra conservative and makes decisions that are perhaps unwise in the face of a war that will radically change warfare" going on in the surrender of france in WWII. Even then the traditional narrative that big poppa pump USA shows up and stomps some nazi rear end is kinda bullshit cuz Zhukov was on his way to Berlin by D-Day and there was fuckall the Nazis could've done to stop him.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk it's some weird trope that the Americans have invented that the French are cowards who run away at the first sign of trouble.

I mean yeah they had some idiot rear end generals who did idiot things like refuse Allied bomber support or waiting until the next morning to launch a counterattack on the German bridgehead across the Meuse when they had the men/equipment to do it the night before when the Germans were still crossing - but the French soldiers still fought hard.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Do we especially hate the French? We're passive-aggressive assholes to all of our allies, I don't really think the French stand out in that regard.

(We suck, basically)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ChipNDip posted:

Most recently it's due to their refusal to join the Iraq War. More generally it's inherited from the English combined with anti-Catholicism.

But the Iraq War was a complete shitshow. Didn't the events that took place there show clearly that France was right in not joining?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Family Values posted:

Do we especially hate the French? We're passive-aggressive assholes to all of our allies, I don't really think the French stand out in that regard.

(We suck, basically)

Yeah there's something to this though. The French just got attention because of Iraq but we kind of hate everyone. See our constant poo poo talking of NATO allies and saying we do all the work to protect Europe while they do nothing.

That's why I agreed with the first "bc we suck rear end" :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

But the Iraq War was a complete shitshow. Didn't the events that took place there show clearly that France was right in not joining?

Iraq's shitshowness hadn't percolated back to much of America by the time the 'freedom fries' thing happened.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I run in some pretty rough circles and nobody actually believes that france is bad. It's just a joke. We make jokes about british teeth, but nobody actually believes it's 100% true. Just 90% true.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What are you protecting Europe from exactly

Is it from itself? Like in Russia? Because I'm pretty sure russia recently gobbled up a piece of the Ukraine and America just let it happen

Then you hosed up the entire middle east to a really impressive degree and flooded europe with refugees

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Then you hosed up the entire middle east to a really impressive degree and flooded europe with refugees

yep

Zzulu posted:

I'm pretty sure russia recently gobbled up a piece of the Ukraine and America just let it happen

Crimea is it's own thing and was practically russia for a long time.

I'd bring up the whole protests/overthrow in kiev before I would mention crimea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

chairface posted:

There's also American resentment towards the French over Vietnam. They couldn't keep a lid on their own poo poo so we had to wade in and fail too. France, USA, China, back-to-back-to-back losers to Vietnam.

i dont doubt it with some boomers, but I'd be amazed if you selected 100 random american adults and asked them what "french indochina" was or "who colonized vietnam" that 5 could answer correctly