Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Way to just pretend Mike Gravel doesn't even exist

he literally doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Way to just pretend Mike Gravel doesn't even exist
I think his only goal is to get on stage and trash centrists, not actually win, he's what 89 YO?

And even as someone who donated to him I forget that he exists because he's not even allowed to debate due to how lovely the DNC is.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 18, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TrixR4kids posted:

I think his only goal is to get on stage and trash centrists, not actually win, he's what 89 YO?

I hate to tell you this but Crazy Crystal Lady's only goal is to get on stage and sell books

More importantly though "get on stage and sell books" was also Trump's initial goal, initial goals don't matter that much if a candidate takes off. We're not living in a timeline where "this candidate isn't serious" is a reason to dismiss them, and even if we were, Gravel and Williamson are both "nonserious" in the same ways, so you've got a choice of dismissing both or neither.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

I hate to tell you this but Crazy Crystal Lady's only goal is to get on stage and sell books

More importantly though "get on stage and sell books" was also Trump's initial goal, initial goals don't matter that much if a candidate takes off.
I get that, also see my edit.

As far as second choices go Gravel is probably the most morally defensible I have no argument there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is Williamson going to make the cutoff for the second debate?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

you don't seem particularly worried about marginalized groups though. people have pointed out to you that candidates with actual pull are advocating for policies that have actual known and measurable effects on marginalized groups and yet you spend an inordinate amount of time melting down about a joke candidate with no pull having a purely hypothetical effect on marginalized groups.

Public health isn’t “purely hypothetical”, gently caress off with that bullshit.

You and your ilk keep ignoring me when I tell you that the influence she has isn’t from bullshit polling, it’s from selling books and paid speaking engagements. The World Health Organization considers her style of garbage to be a top threat to health around the world, so quit treating this as a loving joke and learn something about public health.

You’re also mad at me because I’m what, not copy pasting the same arguments everyone else has about Warren and Biden? gently caress off with that whataboutism poo poo. The fact that you and the rest don’t take public health seriously is the problem here.

I believe she already did.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I can see how avatar is prorape, but how is it procolonialism

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Public health isn’t “purely hypothetical”, gently caress off with that bullshit.

You and your ilk keep ignoring me when I tell you that the influence she has isn’t from bullshit polling, it’s from selling books and paid speaking engagements. The World Health Organization considers her style of garbage to be a top threat to health around the world, so quit treating this as a loving joke and learn something about public health.

You’re also mad at me because I’m what, not copy pasting the same arguments everyone else has about Warren and Biden? gently caress off with that whataboutism poo poo. The fact that you and the rest don’t take public health seriously is the problem here.

I believe she already did.

Counterpoint, the fact that you don’t take American imperialism seriously is the problem here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Terror Sweat posted:

I can see how avatar is prorape, but how is it procolonialism

Romanticization of the pocahontas mythology. Pocahontas in Space. White Savior. All those silly native peoples really need is the big swinging dick of a white dude taking charge.

Also he totally rapes that flying dinosaur till it loves him which is just hosed uuuuuup

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Terror Sweat posted:

Counterpoint, the fact that you don’t take American imperialism seriously is the problem here

What about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about

We get it, you’re too lazy to read anything I’ve posted and just assume I’m shilling for Warren because that’s easier for you to do than learn something about public health. I haven’t shilled for her, so why the gently caress do you keep bringing her up?

Terror Sweat posted:

It's very simple. If you believe that foreigners lives are worth the same as any American's, then your second choice is the crazy crystal lady. If you believe American lives are worth more, then your number 2 is the republican. Because there's absolutely no way in hell that antivaxxers are killing more people than American foreign policy, and if we're taking both candidates at their words, Williamson is anti war, Warren is neutral to war at best

If you actually gave a poo poo about foreign lives our be backing Jay Inslee because the thing that’s already killing people is loving climate change. But no one brings him up because that would require some actual loving thought.

The next thing that kills people in war isn’t the initial bombings, it’s the destruction of infrastructure that leads to people dying from easily treated illnesses. That requires an understanding of public health to deal with.

Also, nice work completely ignoring the massive measles outbreaks in the DRC, Madagascar, and the Philippines. This isn’t just a problem in America, maybe do some loving research or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If a candidate is good on A and bad on B it is not “whataboutism” to point out they’re bad on B.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

What about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about

We get it, you’re too lazy to read anything I’ve posted and just assume I’m shilling for Warren because that’s easier for you to do than learn something about public health. I haven’t shilled for her, so why the gently caress do you keep bringing her up?

If you actually gave a poo poo about foreign lives our be backing Jay Inslee because the thing that’s already killing people is loving climate change. But no one brings him up because that would require some actual loving thought.

You assume people are shilling for Marianne just like how we assume you’re shilling for warren. Nobody likes them and they’re a funny second choice. We’re all now hypothetically choosing our top second choices and why we believe crystal lady is better than warren. Who is your second choice? Also, I’m pretty sure jay inslee doesn’t care *that* much about climate change. It’s his gimmick issue that he forgot to mention at the debate when asked what was the greatest threat to America.

quote:

The next thing that kills people in war isn’t the initial bombings, it’s the destruction of infrastructure that leads to people dying from easily treated illnesses. That requires an understanding of public health to deal with.

Also, nice work completely ignoring the massive measles outbreaks in the DRC, Madagascar, and the Philippines. This isn’t just a problem in America, maybe do some loving research or something.
Don’t need to deal with the destruction of infrastructure if you’re not dropping bombs in the first place

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Romanticization of the pocahontas mythology. Pocahontas in Space. White Savior. All those silly native peoples really need is the big swinging dick of a white dude taking charge.

Also he totally rapes that flying dinosaur till it loves him which is just hosed uuuuuup

Makes sense, I figured this was mitigated by the fact that all the colonists are evil bad guys and are depicted that way

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Terror Sweat posted:

eventually the left will be capable of having a discussion about the 9/11 aumf and bernie's vote to give global oversightless foreverwar powers to george w bush

eventually

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Like, I hope the Marianne mindsetters are just doing this bit strategically, to try and erode Warren's support in hopes it boosts Bernie. Y'know, endlessly screaming Warren's an imperialist without a good reason, trying to set up a dichotomy of "crystals vs war" as if that's actually a spectrum of debate outside of broken brains.

Cause let's be real: Marianne makes a few good points, but shes hilariously unfit for the presidency. Trump only proved any dipshit COULD be president, not that any dipshit SHOULD, and her "business experience" isn't a point in her favor there. So I'm hoping that even her "unironic" supporters here are just doing it to shiv Warren, because otherwise holy poo poo it'd be pretty bleak here. It's not anti-intellectualism, it's just dumb.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

eventually the left will be capable of having a discussion about the 9/11 aumf and bernie's vote to give global oversightless foreverwar powers to george w bush

eventually

Bernie is the lesser evil

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, despite their hopeful bit earlier---Gravel is frozen out of The Drawing tonight and the odds of him somehow making the much higher threshold Debate #3 are effectively zero barring some crazy happenings. Ideally, they'll actually simulcast/stream in rough parallel to the actual debate like he managed back in 2008 even though they've yet to this campaign.

Like history repeating, yet worse, 2020's draw of Genuine Characters is Sanders and Gravel in much the same way that 2008's was Gravel and Kucinich---reality is crueler than fiction as the latter is bound by narrative conceits of being believable and semi-logical progression. People want to contort and bargain their way through the other predatory ghouls in sequence as Trump looms like a Sword of Damocles, but this is simply the results of considerable efforts of the past few decades to hollow out and limit the spectrum of our political body---willful cultivation of bad options that are more poison pill than not.

Warren doesn't exactly strike me as the type to bet on her instincts---she managed to whiff on Standing Rock not even that long ago which is tantamount to doing such in tee ball when neither an extremely small child still navigating the concept of clubbing something nor inebriated.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ruminahui posted:

Nerds itt are confused why people like certain candidates that seem truthful and charismatic and are firmly anti-imperialist because the candidates they’ve supported are all liars and have no problem bombing buses full of brown children if it means some Wallstreet bastards make a few extra mill

I'm not confused at all. It's exactly the same deranged thought process that led to otherwise left-leaning goons loving Ron Paul. He loved to say things that went way farther than any other candidate was willing to say, so a bunch of anti-imperialism goons absolutely loved him for his rare stopped-clock moments, even though he was also a crazy person who wanted to repeal the Civil Rights Act.

Personally, I don't see the point in getting all worked up about her, since she's worse than Bernie and there's absolutely no possible future in which she does better than he does. If Sanders loses and she's your second choice, then you might as well jump right to your third choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pander posted:

Like, I hope the Marianne mindsetters are just doing this bit strategically, to try and erode Warren's support in hopes it boosts Bernie. Y'know, endlessly screaming Warren's an imperialist without a good reason, trying to set up a dichotomy of "crystals vs war" as if that's actually a spectrum of debate outside of broken brains.

Cause let's be real: Marianne makes a few good points, but shes hilariously unfit for the presidency. Trump only proved any dipshit COULD be president, not that any dipshit SHOULD, and her "business experience" isn't a point in her favor there. So I'm hoping that even her "unironic" supporters here are just doing it to shiv Warren, because otherwise holy poo poo it'd be pretty bleak here. It's not anti-intellectualism, it's just dumb.

It started out ironic then everyone doubled down on the stupid because that's what happens with ironic support. Same thing would've happened if ironic support for Air Bud had become a thing, we'd have people posting "hey at least Air Bud didn't vote to support the War in Iraq" and ignoring that he wasn't even born then!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It started out ironic then everyone doubled down on the stupid because that's what happens with ironic support. Same thing would've happened if ironic support for Air Bud had become a thing, we'd have people posting "hey at least Air Bud didn't vote to support the War in Iraq" and ignoring that he wasn't even born then!
It made sense to me that Warren haters would use Marianne as a cudgel against her. Bernie has a good anti-imperialist record, but "Bernie Bros attack Warren" is a worse line to sell to win over Warren voters than "Marianne is better than Warren"

Both try to erode warren support, but one sidesteps the perception of negativity and (generally unfair) misogyny.

If it's just unironic love, yikes. She says she good stuff but she's clearly just trying to get her name out there more.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

"considers x to be a threat" is a hypothetical threat solkanar. and your position is even weaker cause you can't show that williamson's presence in the race is increasing anti-vaxx sentiments. she apparently apologized and claimed she's not antivaxx so she doesn't even appear to be advocating in her campaign for the hypothetically dangerous position you're melting down over

Marianne Williamson posted:

"I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives," Williamson wrote. "I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling, and I realize that I misspoke."

meanwhile, as others have pointed out, plenty of actual candidates have advocated for policies that are non-hypothetical threats to public health. like war

it's really odd how devoted you are to hyperventilating about a candidate that doesn't have a chance and doesn't seem to be increasing anti-vaxx sentiment

quote:

i'm not mad at you solkanar. i'm telling you you should calm down. marianne is a joke candidate. her ideas aren't gonna see adoption, she's not gonna be president, and she doesn't even seem to be advocating for anti-vaxx on the campaign trail

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 18, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Is this a bad time to support a Kaiju demolishing the white house so we can start fresh?

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I support candidates that have never been a member of the Nazi GOP party for most of their lives, it’s very simple

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I don't see the point in getting all worked up about her, since she's worse than Bernie and there's absolutely no possible future in which she does better than he does. If Sanders loses and she's your second choice, then you might as well jump right to your third choice.

See I disagree with the second part of what you say here. Yes, Bernie is the surest bet. Yes, there are red flags with Liz, several of them. But I believe with the right Congress around her pushing a certain agenda constantly, pushed from behind by the same sort of mass action from voters we see now in opposing Trump, I think a lot of good could get done under a hypothetical Warren administration. It wouldn't be perfect, it would not be what Bernie would be, but it's not "well, basically the same as any of the other candidates at that point" as you say here IMO. She would take a lot more effort from us as voters to keep her honest and to fight for good policies over worse ones, but I believe that factor increases exponentially as you go down the line. Like a Harris presidency would do several objectively horrible things Warren's would not. There is another steep dropoff between her and "the rest."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Liz isn't going to get the "right Congress" around her because she has 0 interest in creating a movement the way Bernie does.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Oh Snapple! posted:

Liz isn't going to get the "right Congress" around her because she has 0 interest in creating a movement the way Bernie does.

Don't.....we...control that though? I mean she can choose to boost or not boost candidates but can't we as voters just sort of make that choice for her with mass action, canvassing and GOTV efforts? Like why not just plan on doing that no matter who gets the POTUS nom?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

Is this a bad time to support a Kaiju demolishing the white house so we can start fresh?

https://twitter.com/teamgodzilla/status/706173622352781312

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And presidential support makes that a lot more loving viable. My opinion is that the party is so bought and paid for that it's not actually possible without it. And a Warren presidency is not gonna give it.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

VH4Ever posted:

Don't.....we...control that though? I mean she can choose to boost or not boost candidates but can't we as voters just sort of make that choice for her with mass action, canvassing and GOTV efforts? Like why not just plan on doing that no matter who gets the POTUS nom?

She wants to put consumer financial products on a spreadsheet and see what the number do with different amounts. If you want to build a movement around that then good luck lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Ruminahui posted:

She wants to put consumer financial products on a spreadsheet and see what the number do with different amounts. If you want to build a movement around that then good luck lol

much like the romans found success by abandoning the rigidity of the phalanx and adopting marian's reforms, so too does the revolution need to embrace the flexibility of pivot tables

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

See I disagree with the second part of what you say here. Yes, Bernie is the surest bet. Yes, there are red flags with Liz, several of them. But I believe with the right Congress around her pushing a certain agenda constantly, pushed from behind by the same sort of mass action from voters we see now in opposing Trump, I think a lot of good could get done under a hypothetical Warren administration. It wouldn't be perfect, it would not be what Bernie would be, but it's not "well, basically the same as any of the other candidates at that point" as you say here IMO. She would take a lot more effort from us as voters to keep her honest and to fight for good policies over worse ones, but I believe that factor increases exponentially as you go down the line. Like a Harris presidency would do several objectively horrible things Warren's would not. There is another steep dropoff between her and "the rest."

I was talking about Williamson, not Warren. :frogbon:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Warren is another Obama. She'll say a lot of the right things as long as she needs to, but always leaving wiggle room for when she backtracks so that her defenders can tweet "well TECHNICALLY" in response. She's already stated she's up for bid in the general and even her pledge to avoid big money interests in the primary has fallen by the wayside when it's convenient. She'll get into power, dismantle the vehicles she used to get there, and tell everyone to suck it up and enjoy their health care tax credits and rigorously means-tested debt forgiveness. And the wealthy, highly educated whites who are driving her campaign will cheer and go home, content to let President Liz handle things for eight years while they pretend everything is perfect now.

VH4Ever posted:

I don't think you can successfully maintain a broad, nationwide movement without someone in the White House using the bully pulpit to advocate for and champion said movement. Which is why Bernie is the only option because he's the one who is publicly and repeatedly stating that the fight doesn't end with replacing Trump.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
warren has a plan to guarantee access to mobilizing as a base

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VH4Ever posted:

It would be a lot easier if the person with the national spotlight following her around helped. When you become the nominee there's attention that comes to you that you don't get as a candidate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

All 20 people who made the cut off for the first debate made the cut off for the second. However once Swalwell admitted to the world that it was all a silly prank, that left one spot open.

The teens piloting the husk of Gravel, and the Democratic Governor of Montana who doesn't have a cool dog then were in the running for that last spot. Unfortunately the Gravel teens couldn't trick enough pollsters to include Gravel in their polls, so governor no cool dog got in instead because he got at least 1% of respondents in enough polls to win the tie breaker.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/adrienneelrod/status/1151850361302523904

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

"considers x to be a threat" is a hypothetical threat solkanar. and your position is even weaker cause you can't show that williamson's presence in the race is increasing anti-vaxx sentiments. she apparently apologized and claimed she's not antivaxx so she doesn't even appear to be advocating in her campaign for the hypothetically dangerous position you're melting down over

The World Health Organization doesn't deal with "hypotheticals", they deal in reality. This isn't some "numbers fuckstain" poo poo, this is reality. We're having massive outbreaks here in the United States and around the world. Williamson's "apology" was nothing more than typical anti-vaxx bullshit, then doubled down on it a few days later by calling the body of medical research on the topic "propaganda". Pay attention to the people who watch this poo poo on a regular basis. Follow some actual science writers, I already named Erin Biba and Jen Gunter, there are more out there who go into great deal about these issues on a regular basis.

quote:

meanwhile, as others have pointed out, plenty of actual candidates have advocated for policies that are non-hypothetical threats to public health. like war

it's really odd how devoted you are to hyperventilating about a candidate that doesn't have a chance and doesn't seem to be increasing anti-vaxx sentiment

Why is it so odd? I see this woo bullshit on the left all the loving time where I live (PNW). I have a background in the biological sciences so when I hear this poo poo I'm going to say something. No one else is talking about it, we have folks giving themselves irony poisoning over it and she's polling around the same place Trump was at this time in the 2016 race. Furthermore, we shouldn't be tolerating anti-science and anti-intellectual attitudes on the left, regardless of their polling. It's bad enough when I see right wing assholes refuse their daughters the HPV vaccine because "my little darling WON"T BE HAVING SEX" but now we see this same poo poo from the left, even though several nations are close to eradicating the forms of cancer the vaccine prevents.

quote:

i'm not mad at you solkanar. i'm telling you you should calm down. marianne is a joke candidate. her ideas aren't gonna see adoption, she's not gonna be president, and she doesn't even seem to be advocating for anti-vaxx on the campaign trail

Her ideas are already seeing adoption (look at the protests against anyone raising vaccination standards, the stigma against taking meds for treating mental health disorders and so on) and we shouldn't be giving her a free platform (either here on this forum or the debates) to spread this garbage and make money. There should be no tolerance for this sort of anti-intellectualism on the left. No, it's not as big of an issue as say systemic racism or economic equality or imperialism but if you don't stomp out her values you lose the ability to deal with everything else.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Big talk from a dude who is essentially a Golem conjured to crush American public education and the state of Palestine, animated only by AIPAC/NORPAC money.

Did he condescend to actually name of any of these evil Berniebro donors?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LMAO please clarify that Corey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z. Autobahn posted:

"Bernie is the only good candidate and everyone else is a monster" is a consistent and defensible stance. You don't have to defend loathsome creatures like Williamson just to stick it to the DNC.

I wonder why people like you never use that kind of language for the people who will do everything in their power to continue, expand, and further the American empire.

Pander posted:

Warren is an imperialist, and Marianne is more qualified than the vast majority of the Democratic primary.

Terror Sweat posted:

It's very simple. If you believe that foreigners lives are worth the same as any American's, then your second choice is the crazy crystal lady. If you believe American lives are worth more, then your number 2 is the republican. Because there's absolutely no way in hell that antivaxxers are killing more people than American foreign policy, and if we're taking both candidates at their words, Williamson is anti war, Warren is neutral to war at best

Terror Sweat posted: