Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
What’s the general thought on travel powers, I think superleap was king for the defensive buff, everyone took ss because of haste. Also I don’t remember all the power pools having a fifth skill, any of them good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

hup posted:

So I want to actually try sentinel and I’ve gathered elec/ is good for it; should I go elec/elec or /energy?

My Elec/Elec Sentinel is 48 now and I really enjoy it, about the only time it dies is when I am on a pubbie team.
With short circuit I am basically sitting in the middle of the battle at all times and have little problems because my lethal/smashing resist is maxed.
I just sit there and fling ball lightening and short circuit over and over.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

xxEightxx posted:

What’s the general thought on travel powers, I think superleap was king for the defensive buff, everyone took ss because of haste. Also I don’t remember all the power pools having a fifth skill, any of them good?

You don't need to take a preliminary power any more. So you just grab Flight, and then also take Hasten or Combat Jump if you want them.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

jump is more fun than flight unless youre gonna take afterburner for the LOTG slot, always take combat jumping for the basically no cost def buff/gambler slot unless you went flight(then take hover for the same thing), speed is an amazing second/third stealth layer for stalkers and hasten is already basically mandatory just for how much it smooths things out

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

hup posted:

So I want to actually try sentinel and I’ve gathered elec/ is good for it; should I go elec/elec or /energy?

My personal opinion is that if you're going to do elec anything you should have both sides elec so you can play with the end drain effect, but that's just me. /elec is a really good secondary, though, independent of that; it has an innate +recharge and a ton of end booster powers which mean you'll be running Tough for sure, and you get some uncommon mez resistances in the shield. It's major weaknesses is that Grounded is pretty necessary and only works when you're, uh, on the ground.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Leaping
-Combat Jumping. its a great, almost free defense power that boosts your control in the air, allows super speed to run up walls, kinda, gives some immobilize protection, and acts as a mule to plenty of nice inventions.
-Jump kick is poo poo, dont take. Even if it fits theme, its super weak. Can mule melee sets for bonuses.
-Super Jump can get you jumping a few hundred yards at a go. no defense boost, but still. its nice.
-Acrobatics is a toggle that will give you some hold protection as well as knock protection.
-Spring attack is an AoE teleport attack with about a 80 ft range, can be made decent, never delved deep into leaping to use it much. Can be good for melee dudes moving form mob to mob to open a fight.

Flight
-Air Superiority is one of the only pool power melee attacks I would say is worth it. Fast recharge, it has a near 100% chance to bounce an enemy off the floor in a knock down, as well as causing fliers to drop from the sky as it makes them immune to flying.
-Hover. It has been sped up, moved about as fast as running about without sprint, gives some defense as well as soft knock resist as the flying knock back animation is faster than the one you get on foot.
-Fly is a slow travel power, compared to anything, but it's easy. you can fly
-Group fly. This was made at a time when powers were more restricted everyone can fly. The owner of the power flies faster than those you grant fly to. Kinda cool with Robots Masterminds as they get rocket boots.
-Afterburner. Gives a defense boost, 12% on a blaster. Boosts your fly speed by about 20% I have it, and its a very nice quality of life thing

Super Speed
-Flurry. I have never seen anyone take this. Long animation time, single target, weak, no utility.
-Haste. 80% boost to your global recharge. long cooldown. Builds try and perma this
-Super Speed. run fast, and have some stealth with it. Game has some serious vertical areas. Ive never used it
-Whirlwind. Get your dude spinning real fast and putting a repel on your enemies costing more end the more you hit. yay?
-Burnout. Instant recharge all your powers on Cooldown. Two Gangwars from your thugs mastermind? go for it.

Teleport
-Teleport Foe. Used in PvP to farm tears by calling enemy players into drones. Can be used to pull from mobs I guess?
-Teleport Ally. Pull slower team mates across zone to get to the door faster, or after stealthing to the objective.
-Teleport. Lag will drop you from the sky. Rock armor players use it to move in granite form. Slotted nothing is faster. Take hover to avoid falling.
code:
 /bind lshift+lmouse powexec_name teleport 
to hold shift and left click to automate your teleporting.
-Long Range Teleport. ive never seen this used. Takes you to a zone?
-Group Teleport. Teleport with your friends

Sorcery
-Spirit Ward. An Absorb shield that lasts about 15 seconds, up kinda quick. use on the tank to help them take alpha hits.
-Arcane Bolt. Only pool ranged attack LOOONG animation time.
-Mystic Flight. Two travel powers in one. Get Fly and Teleport. You cannot Teleport unless you are flying. I use this, very thematic.
code:
 /bind lshift+lmouse powexec_name translocation 
to hold shift and click to teleport while in flight. Slower than teleport, same as fly. Cannot slot Translocate for anything.
-Enflame. Target drops burn patches when they stop moving. Targets friend or foe
-Rune of Protection. This is only the 2nd pool power to grant resistance. if you are a class like blasters that dont get any innate resistance, its this or toughness from fighting for carrying the +3% def IOs from the resistance sets without going into Epic Pools and you dont have the Boxing/kick power tax for it, the other Sorcery Powers are decent. Its a good Push Button, Be Awesome.

I know way too much about this game goddamn.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Neat, thanks. Strongly leaning towards ice/plant blaster if and when I give the game a try.

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.
I wouldn't roll a blaster as first character, they can be very frustrating before you know what you're doing. gently caress, they can be very frustrating after you know what you're doing. When people say they're glass cannons they're not kidding, you'll spend most of your time face planted.

If your heart is set on a caster, try a corruptor, dominator or controller. It can't be overstated how powerful controls and debuffs are in this game. You can permanently lock down entire spawns on your own.

You should totally roll a stalker instead though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The thing is, a lot of this advice is based on high-level play. For level 20, 30, 50, sure, stalkers and Plant Control are great. They're miserable below 10 though, enjoy having literally one attack or having to wait a full minute for a blue minion to die. This is in a vacuum without prestige attacks, I am being slightly disingenuous.

My recommendation: Corruptor. You have buffs or debuffs so you feel like you're always doing something (With most sets, at least), and their scourge ability (Bonus damage on enemies below 50% health) gives you a nice little Pavlovian bell.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's everyone below level 10. Every archetype gets a slow start.

Luckily with the XP boosts from the p2w vendor we don't have to put up with it quite so much any more. I highly recommend people abuse the gently caress out of them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I was gonna post my own response but this pretty much covered everything.

I will add that Elec/Energy is a good combo because Power Boost will enhance Elec's end drain. The melee attacks are pretty good, too.

Thundarr posted:

Time Manipulation is a fun set and maybe a bit overtuned (it's a custom power set made after the game was officially shuttered). It's a grab bag that can do a bit of everything, including healing, shielding, buffing, and debuffing the snot out of enemies. It's also super easy to get some of the best buffs active full time, though the set is a serious endurance hog early on if you keep everything active.

Time Manipulation the support set was available on live. That's just the power creep of newer powersets for you. The Time secondary for Blasters is what's totally brand new.

tooterfish posted:

I wouldn't roll a blaster as first character, they can be very frustrating before you know what you're doing. gently caress, they can be very frustrating after you know what you're doing. When people say they're glass cannons they're not kidding, you'll spend most of your time face planted.

Blasters are way more survivable now thanks to every secondary set getting some form of damage mitigation. That said, Blasters will encounter a lot more roadblocks if they're solo. Certain bosses are overtuned and Elite Bosses especially will no-sell your mez powers and probably end up clobbering you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Time Manipulation the support set was available on live. That's just the power creep of newer powersets for you. The Time secondary for Blasters is what's totally brand new.

Oh, I'd thought it was completely new. Maybe it was just one of the very last sets they made.

winterwerefox posted:

-Long Range Teleport. ive never seen this used. Takes you to a zone?

I use it to get between zones faster. The list of zones it can send you to is different from where an Orouboros portal can (for example it can go straight to PI from anywhere), and it's one map transition instead of two, so it's a bit faster much of the time. I'd still class it under "only pick this if you have run out of useful powers to take" though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Okay, I'm still listening and looking at powers for Corruptor, Stalker, and Scrapper since that's what folks are recommending.

Corruptor: I assume the ___ blast sets are the same as for blasters, but a different wiki I found also lists water blast. What's that like?

Stalkers/Scrappers: The sets that caught my attention are martial arts, staff fighting, and dark melee. These any good?

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

I AM THE MOON posted:

i have like 50 on indom and 10 on everlasting, with a half dozen 50s, but only 2 of them have real investment/The Full Incarnate Package

Too many characters made after thinking up a good name/gimmick that get abandoned in the 20s

I had a ice/fire blaster called frostfyre. Until I ran into the NPC hero called frostfire. That was disappointing.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Okay, I'm still listening and looking at powers for Corruptor, Stalker, and Scrapper since that's what folks are recommending.

Corruptor: I assume the ___ blast sets are the same as for blasters, but a different wiki I found also lists water blast. What's that like?

Stalkers/Scrappers: The sets that caught my attention are martial arts, staff fighting, and dark melee. These any good?
Water Blast has a resource system where you build up stacks of a buff and spend it for big damage, kind of like Stalker Assassin stacks

Also: (just from my experience)
Martial Arts: Didn't like it on Stalker, should be fine for Scrapper. Consider Kinetic Melee if you wanna be a Martial Arts Master type Stalker bc its got big fantasy kung fu energy
Staff Fighting: Better on Stalker than Scrapper because of how the kit turned out.
Dark Melee: Havent tried it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

On Live, my main was a Martial Arts/Regeneration Scrapper. Here on Homecoming, I replaced Martial Arts with Street Justice. Street Justice is pretty much a superior version of Martial Arts. I'm going to replace /Regeneration with /Willpower. It's pretty much the best things from /Regeneration and /Invulnerability combined.

You can't go wrong with a Street Justice/Willpower character, whether you choose Scrapper, Stalker, or Brute.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Water blast is an AoE beast with a combo system built in that charges up certain powers to give it more effect as you attack. Tied with Fire for AoE.

Staff Fighting for Scrappers is different than Stalkers. For Scrappers, you get a power that grants 3 forms, this allows you to tune your secondary effects for more damage, more efficient end usage, an exotic damage type, tied into a build up combo system that you build up and spend to give yourself a buff by attacking more. As a set, it has nice looking, long animations, with a very heavy emphasis on AoE. Compared to a lot of other scrapper's sets, it has some trouble with Boss level enemies, but it will still murder very well.

Staff fighting for stalkers replaces the choice of three forms for a power called build up. This is a 10 second damage spike power up every 90 seconds. It also replaces one of the Scrapper's AoE attacks with Assassin Strike, an iconic power for Stalkers that can near one shot bosses. It has a massive critical hit when used from stealth, and a slightly less massive crit when used in open combat if you attack with something else to build its crit meter. Stalkers still get a form baked into the powerset, its the more damage form. They still get the combo system as well. Staff for stalkers is the superior version for its ability to take out hard targets.

Staff has a lot of magic staves, and even a witch broom, for costume options to look like a punch wizard. Staff/Ninjitsu with Soul Mastery/Sorcery Epic/Secondary pools has you casting spells to heal yourself, Mind gently caress your enemies, blast with darkness, grant ally buffs, even if the buffs are on the weak side, fly and teleport while turning yourself invisible, throwing spike traps on the ground, and thrapping them with a stick.

Martial Arts as a set I havent used much. There is heavy emphasis on single target. Stalkers replace one of the Scrappers powers with assassin strike, again with the build a crit system for attacking in the open, or hitting from stealth. Both have build up. Lots of kicks.

Darkness as a Melee set has exotic damage, a life steal melee attack that heals you, and a general secondary effect of sapping the accuracy of those you hit with it. The damage type of Negative Energy is resisted by many less enemies than the smashing of Staff or Martial Arts. Pair it with a defense based secondary to make yourself untouchable to those you are attacking, or with a resistance based set to stack different defense types. Dark melee/Shield with the shield made into a blob of darkness works well for a Wraith/Ghost/Spectre type character.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

And in the end it won't matter because within an hour of playing you'll see something that will inspire a new costume or power set and log off to go do that, play them for a few hours, see something else that will inspire a new costume or power set, and log off to do that.

One night a group broke up because I left to make Cyb0rk, the Robotics/Sonic robot with a wolf head mastermind who's robots are named fid0 and sp0t and 0tis, at the same time someone else left to make CyBjork.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Corrupter blasts are functionally the same as Blaster sets, though Corrupters have lower base damage with them.

Martial Arts is still solid, but like others said it has been kind of superceded by the newer Street Justice set. The former is more kick based and the latter has more punches, if that aesthetic is important to you.

Staff is kind of weird on Scrappers but great on Stalkers just due to a few adjustments in the set to fit it into the Stalker archetype. It also lets you breakdance on command and has satisfyingly chonky sfx as you beat people about the head and shoulders with a stick.

Dark Melee animations are kind of uninspired even for an older set, but it's relatively unresisted and you can do a lot worse than an attack set with self heals and -ToHit to your targets.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 18, 2019

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Last night I got inspired to make a Bots/Thermal MM mad scientist who's entire theme is building robots that work so well, it doesnt matter that they burst into flames on power-up.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

Last night I got inspired to make a Bots/Thermal MM mad scientist who's entire theme is building robots that work so well, it doesnt matter that they burst into flames on power-up.

A mad scientist who builds animes.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

The Dark Project posted:

How does the reshader file work? Do we just put it in the main directory as is, or do we need to rename it?

so you install reshade (https://reshade.me/) to the CoH directory, download the shaders, leave them all enabled, then go edit reshade shaders, load the ini file as the preset and you're done. if the text is all hosed up in game when you first load it, you just need to restart and it fixes itself.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cythereal posted:

Make sure you're always using ParagonWiki.com. It has all of the info up to when the game shut down, plus scraps of the unfinished I24. As said, Water Blast is pretty great.

Corruptors mostly get sets identical to Blasters...except when they don't. Corruptors inherited the Defender versions of Radiation and Dark Blast because Blasters didn't have access to those yet.

MA, Staff, and DM are all solid on a Scrapper. Staff is a bit better and MA is a bit worse on Stalkers. I'd say DM is neutral. Martial Arts is another set that gets a bad rap but A) it did get some changes to improve it and B) Crane Kick is one of the best feeling melee attacks in the game, especially when the knockback procs. Street Justice flows better, but MA still has its oomph.

Thundarr posted:

The former is more kick based and the latter has more punches, if that aesthetic is important to you.

:eng101: Martial Arts actually has a bunch of alternate punch-based animations. Most of them aren't as snappy as the kicks, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay now that I'm getting a fire build levelled and slowing stacking tickets and inf, 2 qs

What's the thing I'm supposed to be buying with tickets that sell for a lot on the ah

How do i send inf to another character

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't know the former but for the latter send an email to @YourGlobalNameHere with whatever you want to send attached.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

John Murdoch posted:

I don't know the former but for the latter send an email to @YourGlobalNameHere with whatever you want to send attached.

Also be very careful whenever you do this. I had someone panic email me at one point because their global name was one letter off from mine and they accidentally mailed me 50 million inf. :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Remember, it seems to be mandatory for any Goon to make a water blaster/corruptor be urine themed.
That is all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Also be very careful whenever you do this. I had someone panic email me at one point because their global name was one letter off from mine and they accidentally mailed me 50 million inf. :v:

Allegedly one @GlobalName has made a killing on dummies emailing them all their poo poo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think it was Tommy who suggested it but now I just reply to myself rather than make a new email.
Mainly because of the bug where if you email/reply yourself with inf and then reply to someone else, it will auto include the same amount of inf.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

OgNar posted:

Remember, it seems to be mandatory for any Goon to make a water blaster/corruptor be urine themed.
That is all.

Funny you should say that, because I finally got to make the puke Vahzilok Cadaver I have always wanted to play, ever since my newly minted Fire/Fire Blaster was vomited to death by them back when the game first came out. Ever since them I have wanted a pukey pal of my own.

I am so happy I can't even begin to tell you.

Reminds me, the name "Fraternity Pledger" is available if anyone wants to make a hero version of this guy. Just make him look like a spotty semi-jock dude and go from there really. The world is *blechhhhh* your oyster. Failing that, some version of Rick Sanchez. I believe I got the idea for "The Pledger" from one of you guys back when we played on the main servers, all those many years ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 19, 2019

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Hrmmm that shot is a bit dark. This should be better. drat edit not allowing you to change attached files.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Hefty Leftist posted:

so you install reshade (https://reshade.me/) to the CoH directory, download the shaders, leave them all enabled, then go edit reshade shaders, load the ini file as the preset and you're done. if the text is all hosed up in game when you first load it, you just need to restart and it fixes itself.

This is fantastic. Easy to install and it makes the game look absolutely amazing. Thank you so much!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

site posted:

Okay now that I'm getting a fire build levelled and slowing stacking tickets and inf, 2 qs

What's the thing I'm supposed to be buying with tickets that sell for a lot on the ah

How do i send inf to another character

Buy and craft bronze recipes. Your choice of 25-29 or 30-34, there's good stuff in both places.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

winterwerefox posted:

-Whirlwind. Get your dude spinning real fast and putting a repel on your enemies costing more end the more you hit. yay?

Place a knockback to knockdown in this and it becomes a small group crowd control power, perfect for scrappers who end up on a team without any control. Still a bit end heavy but it's not worthless.

Also tuns you into a real hero. When a mob becomes stuck in a cave wall and they're needed to complete the mission, you can use whirlwind to pull them back into the map, instead of having to reset the mission.

Cythereal posted:

Martial Arts is rather boring, being almost completely a single target set. I picked it for my first toon because that's what I did back in the day, but if I had known about how effective street justice was I probably would've grabbed that instead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm trying hard to make a good Monkey King for a staff Stalker but the costume just isn't coming together.

Ugh.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

The Dark Project posted:

This is fantastic. Easy to install and it makes the game look absolutely amazing. Thank you so much!

no problem! if you find some good screenshots, post them! would love to see how it looks on your end

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying hard to make a good Monkey King for a staff Stalker but the costume just isn't coming together.

Ugh.

Similarly, I'm trying to find a good fencing rapier for a version of La Maupin and not quite finding it. All the swords are too chunky.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 20, 2019

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you want a rapier, you can find one in Dual Blades, along with a main gauche. Or main droite, if you put it in the right hand.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

Ugh.

There's an entire Imperial Dynasty set that should get you most of the way there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

There's an entire Imperial Dynasty set that should get you most of the way there.

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly trying to replicate Jet Li in Forbidden Kingdom and not having much luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly trying to replicate Jet Li in Forbidden Kingdom and not having much luck.

Some of the clockwork faces look fairly apelike and faffing about with the face sliders can actually do a lot.