Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

geese posted:

Which one of you did I see this morning around 11:30 near the Asakusa Don Quixote wearing a ‘No Waifu No Laifu’ shirt?

None of us are shitamachhi enough to hang in Asakusa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

May be in Tokyo for a couple of days for a work trip in September, is tsujiki still worth going to? I'm staying in the Chuo area and it looks walkable distance so I may try going there in the morning before heading for meetings

also i watched a strictly dumpling video of it and just remembered this dude doesn't eat raw fish (lmao) and has been buying blowtorched tuna steaks and uni, just wtf why

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Getting sushi in the Tsukiji market is great if you like standing in line for three hours with a couple hundred tourists.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had a good bowl of chirashi in Tsukiji without waiting in line. Wasn't something I'd go out of my way for though.

Seared tuna is good. Never tried seared uni, seems like it wouldn't hold up to that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I had a good bowl of chirashi in Tsukiji without waiting in line. Wasn't something I'd go out of my way for though.

Seared tuna is good. Never tried seared uni, seems like it wouldn't hold up to that.

Change the thread title to "Sushi: Just Go to Zanmai"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

is tsujiki market only good for sushi? I mean i probably will go to some conveyor belt place to get some if it's such a pain to do it there. I've been to the markets in kyoto, osaka and hokkaido.

i know they moved the fish auctions to another place, but that's out of the way and i can't realistically go there in the mornings

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is the only place I ever go to in the market: https://foursquare.com/v/%E3%81%A8%E3%82%93%E3%81%8B%E3%81%A4%E5%85%AB%E5%8D%83%E4%BB%A3/4b7c5741f964a520718d2fe3

Last I went it was still miraculously uncrowded, despite the sushi places on either side having hour long lines.

*edit*
Just glanced at the listing and they've shut down shop. :rip:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is tsujiki market only good for sushi? I mean i probably will go to some conveyor belt place to get some if it's such a pain to do it there. I've been to the markets in kyoto, osaka and hokkaido.

i know they moved the fish auctions to another place, but that's out of the way and i can't realistically go there in the mornings

It's just all tourist-focused places that aren't necessarily any better than anywhere else, but are a whole lot more crowded. There are some specialty shops in the outer market selling like weird kombu and stuff if you're into that. But it's just a regular Japanese market now that the main stuff moved to Toyosu.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

wow :rip: :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nobody has ever been dumping their top grade product on stalls around the market because they can't be hosed to deliver it. The whole good fish at Tsukiji thing has never been more than a myth.

However, the huge increase in tourism over the past few years has turned the market from someplace neat to stroll around in to an unbearable hellscape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only market I've been to that had clearly much superior fish was the main one in Kanazawa. Holy poo poo was the fish good at the stalls in there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

The only market I've been to that had clearly much superior fish was the main one in Kanazawa. Holy poo poo was the fish good at the stalls in there.

Oh yeah, the markets where they actually do the fishing are loving lit. I spent like 3 hours at the one in Hitachi last year drinking sake and going back and forth between the market and the grills.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grand Fromage posted:

List of markets I had very good sushi:

Kanazawa
Toba
Karato, Shimonoseki
Kuroshio, Wakayama
Kushiro
Hakodate
Aomori
Wajima
Itoshima

List of markets with poo poo sushi:

Tsukiji, Tokyo
Kuromon, Osaka
Sapporo

Tsukiji on average in its outside market has utter crap white fish, and absolutely terrible Uni. Just go to Zanmai and order 3 plates of just Hon-maguro.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I will add Nakaminato to visit if I ever end up in Ibaragi-ken.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hachinohe was really good too. They had shitloads of badass mushrooms from Iwate as well as fish.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

This is the only place I ever go to in the market: https://foursquare.com/v/%E3%81%A8%E3%82%93%E3%81%8B%E3%81%A4%E5%85%AB%E5%8D%83%E4%BB%A3/4b7c5741f964a520718d2fe3

Last I went it was still miraculously uncrowded, despite the sushi places on either side having hour long lines.

*edit*
Just glanced at the listing and they've shut down shop. :rip:

Don’t worry all those mega long lines of restaurants are out at the new market and close 5pm , and yachiyo is around!

But now they become mainlander tourists tourist traps - like ichiran.

It’s still worth going to the new area because you can visit team lab and stopping by.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

caberham posted:

Don’t worry all those mega long lines of restaurants are out at the new market and close 5pm , and yachiyo is around!

But now they become mainlander tourists tourist traps - like ichiran.

It’s still worth going to the new area because you can visit team lab and stopping by.

Did you get one of your students to write this for you or something?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

magikid posted:

Not everyone’s a teacher ya dumb gently caress

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

magikid posted:

don’t make fun of him, he’s special

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Some people raise chickens in their apartment's hallways

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

caberham however is. I'm one of his students

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

Hachinohe was really good too. They had shitloads of badass mushrooms from Iwate as well as fish.

gently caress yeah, I saw a bunch of those just hanging out on shop counters around Ameyoko. They look delicious.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shammypants posted:

Some people raise chickens in their apartment's hallways

lmao

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hope they don’t block the fire escapes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pollyanna posted:

I hope they don’t block the fire escapes.

are you afraid of the chickenms?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
chickens in general aren't particularly scary

i don't see why needing a point of emergency escape would be necessary

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

You can go to Tsukiji for lots of other great food too. My wife and I went this past Tuesday (arrived at 9am before the crowds) and we had these amazing uni cream buns (can’t remember the name of the place) and menchikatsu (fried chopped beef) made with matsuzaka beef (like wagyu) from Yoshizawa. There were lots of sushi ‘touts’ on the street and we were briefly pulled into a tourist trap one (had a fishing pole in front) that insisted we get 2 full meals each. We ended up finding a tiny place near the SW part of the market and had excellent tuna sashimi, although we don’t have a good point of comparison living in landlocked part of Canada so it might have been actually crap by Japan standards.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Get the 100 yen tamagoyaki from the stand, it'll probs have a line but it moves fast

Lots of good snacks of all kinds from the stalls around there. Got the biggest oysters I've seen in my life

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Sorry to spoil your boat a lil:

The tamagoyaki from the stand isn't worth it and way too sweet. I make better Tamagoyaki than that.

The oysters in Tokyo aren't really good, even if they are large. They are lower quality, and Tokyo doesn't catch oysters anyway.

For oysters, go to:

Toba
Hiroshima
Akkeshi
Tohoku (Iwate/Miyagi coastline)

The wagyu they sell at Tsukiji is worse than the Wagyu they sell at the five billion tourist spots with the same stores in Japan (think: Takayama, Otaru, Kurashiki, Yufuin, Dogo, etc.). It's not of the highest quality (usually A3 or A4 to save money) either. Matsuzaka beef also isn't necessarily the best beef anymore, and perhaps became super duper popular as a brand because of Chinese/Taiwanese people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live in Ehime we have good food short lines and affordable prices :peanut:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey everyone, I visited Japan for a few weeks back in December and had a great time, so I'm thinking of doing it again this year. I work for a university, so I follow their break schedule, meaning mid/late December is the best time for me to take off any substantial amount of time.

So, the plan is to do 2 or 3 weeks, starting mid-December. I'm trying to decide if I'll stay until the start of January, or leave at the end of December. Is being in Japan as a foreigner fun and unique over New Year's, or is it too much of a hassle with things being closed and everyone home visiting their families?

As for itinerary, last year I did Tokyo/Nikko/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. I guess I'll likely fly in/out of Tokyo again. I think the main thing this year will be spending more time hanging out in/around Kyoto — I felt that I was too rushed there last time to see the city the way I wanted, and as a practitioner of Zen Buddhism it feels like a sort of pilgrimage place. I'll also definitely want to spend a bit more time in Tokyo, because a friend lives there and because it's Tokyo. I really liked chilling at the onsen in the national park around Nikko as well, so that's a toss-up.

That said, I don't want to just do a retread of last year's trip. So, assuming I have 20 days, and I take half of that time for Tokyo and Kyoto, that would leave me 10 days to do new stuff. What places do you all think are cool to visit at the year's end, given that time frame?

Some thoughts I had:

- Fukui is apparently cool? It would be kinda nice to see Eihei-ji as it's important for the Soto Zen tradition.

- I've always wanted to see the other home islands — especially Kyushu, but Shikoku and Hokkaido sound rad as well. They might be too large and too far away for the amount of time I'll be there, though? Are they nice in Winter?

- I love traditional arts and crafts, and cultural festivals. Japanese ceramics I'm especially obsessed with, and anything tea related. So anywhere with unique cultural events going on, or places to check out traditional ceramics and old-school crafts and artisan stuff would be fun. Ditto for traditional music and instruments. I guess this stuff is Kyoto's niche.

- In the vein of the last one, being able to learn more about Japanese cooking methods and styles and how they're done, especially esoteric (to a foreigner) poo poo like making shoyu, miso, sake or different types of tea, would be quite cool.

- Another nice, quiet onsen experience would be really enjoyable. It was sublime being way out in the national park hanging out in an outdoor bath while it snowed.

- Nature stuff is always great, though I'm not a super hardcore hiker or camper. It would be a nice change of pace from big cities.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Keret posted:

Hey everyone, I visited Japan for a few weeks back in December and had a great time, so I'm thinking of doing it again this year. I work for a university, so I follow their break schedule, meaning mid/late December is the best time for me to take off any substantial amount of time.

So, the plan is to do 2 or 3 weeks, starting mid-December. I'm trying to decide if I'll stay until the start of January, or leave at the end of December. Is being in Japan as a foreigner fun and unique over New Year's, or is it too much of a hassle with things being closed and everyone home visiting their families?

I like Japanese New Year's, but then I don't mind being outside in the cold to line up for temples/shrines. It's an interesting experience, and if you're interested in Buddhism, seeing the local traditions would be good. Things are getting better about "being closed," there's plenty of shopping around Tokyo open, but be careful with cash/ATMs.

Keret posted:

As for itinerary, last year I did Tokyo/Nikko/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. I guess I'll likely fly in/out of Tokyo again. I think the main thing this year will be spending more time hanging out in/around Kyoto — I felt that I was too rushed there last time to see the city the way I wanted, and as a practitioner of Zen Buddhism it feels like a sort of pilgrimage place. I'll also definitely want to spend a bit more time in Tokyo, because a friend lives there and because it's Tokyo. I really liked chilling at the onsen in the national park around Nikko as well, so that's a toss-up.

That said, I don't want to just do a retread of last year's trip. So, assuming I have 20 days, and I take half of that time for Tokyo and Kyoto, that would leave me 10 days to do new stuff. What places do you all think are cool to visit at the year's end, given that time frame?

I know Japan isn't too big but that much movement is going to be tough, even with passes to make things cheaper (I'd definitely recommend the JR Pass if you're going Kyoto and back). Regarding where you're looking to go, I'd recommend getting to Fukuoka and further south in Kyushu -- Beppu in Oita is one of the big onsen towns, plus Arita in Saga and Hasami in Nagasaki are famous for pottery and ceramics. I would highly recommend visiting there, just be aware it'll be more local trains than around the bigger cities.

Most places are going to be similar to Tokyo and Kyoto like last year weather-wise, but Hokkaido is going to be mostly snow. If you're into winter sports, that's where you'll want to go, but keep in mind some groups (like the Australians) have figured this out and practically turn ski towns up there foreign during the ski season.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons guess what I’m coming to japan again.

Who wants to meet up in Tokyo?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Any exceptionally good places for Takoyaki in Tokyo?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

I like Japanese New Year's, but then I don't mind being outside in the cold to line up for temples/shrines. It's an interesting experience, and if you're interested in Buddhism, seeing the local traditions would be good. Things are getting better about "being closed," there's plenty of shopping around Tokyo open, but be careful with cash/ATMs.

I know Japan isn't too big but that much movement is going to be tough, even with passes to make things cheaper (I'd definitely recommend the JR Pass if you're going Kyoto and back). Regarding where you're looking to go, I'd recommend getting to Fukuoka and further south in Kyushu -- Beppu in Oita is one of the big onsen towns, plus Arita in Saga and Hasami in Nagasaki are famous for pottery and ceramics. I would highly recommend visiting there, just be aware it'll be more local trains than around the bigger cities.

Most places are going to be similar to Tokyo and Kyoto like last year weather-wise, but Hokkaido is going to be mostly snow. If you're into winter sports, that's where you'll want to go, but keep in mind some groups (like the Australians) have figured this out and practically turn ski towns up there foreign during the ski season.

Good info, thanks! I'll likely stay for New Year's, then, and see what cool stuff I can find. I'll have to think about where to be during hatsumode.

I think Hokkaido will need to wait for another year — it's just way too far compared to the other two since I'll be going to Kyoto anyway. The suggestions for Kyushu seem great, so that's definitely a solid option. I still don't know much about winter travel in Shikoku, maybe peanut can come rep that Shikoku life again?

So, thinking it over, I'm considering three routes at the moment. I think I can do Dec 13-Jan 6, which would give me exactly 3 weeks to spend there. I'll probably try to spend 5 or 6 days in Kyoto if I can, and at least 3 days in Tokyo. Outside of that, I'd like to focus on cool regional natural sights, traditional pottery/crafts/music/food, stay at a legit ryokan and/or minshuku, and just generally be chill. All three of these plans are almost certainly too ambitious and need paring down since I don't like moving too fast, but it's a starting point.

Route 1: Fly in/out Tokyo, do a loop through Kyoto and Fukui/Ishikawa/Gifu/Nagano prefectures, maybe stay overnight at Eihei-ji, spend the last few days in Tokyo.

Route 2: Fly in Tokyo or Kansai, do Shikoku->Hiroshima->Kyoto and spend the last few days in Tokyo, fly out Tokyo.

Route 3: Fly into Fukuoka, do Kyushu->Hiroshima->Kyoto, spend the last few days in Tokyo, fly out Tokyo.

Keret fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 20, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I did your route 3 my first time to Japan. I highly recommend it, but you've got to include some food hedonism in Osaka.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I more or less did 1 and 2, 1 in winter. Both were great but 1 was my favorite trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shikoku is really good but Kyushu probably has more of everything you want to do.

Rowdy winter festivals are usually January-February but New Year's Eve can be a nice experience.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'm really looking forward to my week-ish in shikoku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live in Niihama. Hit me up for drinks if you're passing through.