Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

1. Why do the Seguleh have one fewer mark on their mask than their rank - i.e. the Second has one mark, the Eighth has seven, etc?

I always figured this is just starting counting from zero instead of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The first mask is supposed to be perfectly blank so the second has one mark. I don't actually remember about your second question. Karsa is about 90 pages in, it just talks about how a toblakai, two kids and some woman has been slumming by the edge of town.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Different masks The gold mask isnt the mask of the first, its the spooky ghost tyrant mask

As to Ices upward trajectory... No. No they do not. Blood and Bone has some really nice body horror, but it's just as bad as OST for having the actual plot take place off screen.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I guess that explains those then, thank you. Wonder what I'm missing re the two First masks then. Pretty fundamental to the book I've just read but these books are so opaque at times I don't even know if I'm being dumb or not.

Just read the DoD prologue and enjoying the new details about the K'Chain.

Edit: Strom: sure, I got that, but why did its emergence cause the priest to tell Jan to fulfil their destiny at the beginning of the book, and Jan to agree to serve the Legate?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 14, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

1. Why do the Seguleh have one fewer mark on their mask than their rank - i.e. the Second has one mark, the Eighth has seven, etc?

Question 1:
The marks indicate the number of people above them. So the Second has 1 mark (the First is above them), the Eighth has 7 marks (First - Seventh), etc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I guess that explains those then, thank you. Wonder what I'm missing re the two First masks then. Pretty fundamental to the book I've just read but these books are so opaque at times I don't even know if I'm being dumb or not.

Just read the DoD prologue and enjoying the new details about the K'Chain.

Edit: Strom: sure, I got that, but why did its emergence cause the priest to tell Jan to fulfil their destiny at the beginning of the book, and Jan to agree to serve the Legate?

Oh right

I don't think it's the mask that does that, it's the awakening of the Tyrant (in the mask) who calls upon the Seguleh

The scene where the Tyrant just strolls into Darujhistan, and the Torrud cabal's "oh gently caress" moments are probably ICE's best writing. And it's like 3 pages. But still, it owned.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh right

I don't think it's the mask that does that, it's the awakening of the Tyrant (in the mask) who calls upon the Seguleh

The scene where the Tyrant just strolls into Darujhistan, and the Torrud cabal's "oh gently caress" moments are probably ICE's best writing. And it's like 3 pages. But still, it owned.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but that doesn't seem to clear it up. How does he call them and why do they later submit to him? The altar in their temple has a definite reaction, causing the priest to say it is time to fulfil their destiny. Have he and the altar somehow just been tricked, likewise Jan later on - is he just under the false impression that the Legate is the First?

Esslemont's writing at the beginning where the mask is found in that claustrophobic tomb is some pretty effective horror writing in my opinion.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but that doesn't seem to clear it up. How does he call them and why do they later submit to him? The altar in their temple has a definite reaction, causing the priest to say it is time to fulfil their destiny. Have he and the altar somehow just been tricked, likewise Jan later on - is he just under the false impression that the Legate is the First?

Esslemont's writing at the beginning where the mask is found in that claustrophobic tomb is some pretty effective horror writing in my opinion.

Oh right.

the Legate has nothing to do with the First. The Seguleh served the tyrant millennia ago, and the awakening of the Altar is his signal to them. Most of the Seguleh were unaware of this, it was secret knowledge passed down by the Firsts. I can't remember how Jan finds out their history, but there's no "trick" involved - he called, they came running jogging

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Ah right. I somehow missed this:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Seguleh served the tyrant millennia ago, and the awakening of the Altar is his signal to them.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Edit:

ulmont posted:

Question 1:
The marks indicate the number of people above them. So the Second has 1 mark (the First is above them), the Eighth has 7 marks (First - Seventh), etc.

Cool, that makes sense.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Forgot about this but the Darujistan mention made me think of it.

I always liked The old codger with his pet dog just chilling on his porch while the world goes to poo poo around him. Time and time again having his garden or his house ruined

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
That's a nice comic touch. It also feeds into how good both authors are at showing the story from myriad perspectives, from the gods, ascendants, emperors and other major players, to officers of various rank, to the grunts at the bottom, to otherwise irrelevant people like the guy with the garden, and even animals, like the ox pulling the cart. Or the wonderful bit where Erikson takes us into Chaur's mind.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
I'm 10% in Toll the Hounds. Have been slow due to other reasons, but I find it beautifully written and I love Darujistan. However, I'm also reminded of how I prefer writers who GET TO THE POINT. Okay, maybe that's just how I write unless it's poetry or short stories. Whatever. Heh.

I do like it so far though.

Memories of Ice is STILL my favorite.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of MoI I'm rereading and wondering what you all think Garath might be?

Spoilers through Memories of Ice:

Garath is Lady Envy's dog friend who is the size of a hound of shadow. She says Garath could be a Hound of Shadow but is reluctant. Erikson has said that Garath was a thing that he made up in case he wanted more hounds but it never got any further than that so all speculation about this is just speculation.

I personally like the idea that it's one of the hounds Rake killed in GotM who, through dying, broke free from its bonds to Shadow who just doesn't want to come back. More likely is that it's just another type of hound that's not Darkness or Shadow aligned.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
garath is a good dog, which is all he needs to be

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also Erikson *really* loves dogs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Bonehunters: I'm past Leoman blowing Y'Ghatan the gently caress up, the escape underground, Balm coming face to face to every single god of his pantheon and Bottle accidentally starting a new religion around his pet rat. Good stuff.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Man with Hat posted:

Speaking of MoI I'm rereading and wondering what you all think Garath might be?

Spoilers through Memories of Ice:

Garath is Lady Envy's dog friend who is the size of a hound of shadow. She says Garath could be a Hound of Shadow but is reluctant. Erikson has said that Garath was a thing that he made up in case he wanted more hounds but it never got any further than that so all speculation about this is just speculation.

I personally like the idea that it's one of the hounds Rake killed in GotM who, through dying, broke free from its bonds to Shadow who just doesn't want to come back. More likely is that it's just another type of hound that's not Darkness or Shadow aligned.

Spoilers from Fall of Light/Forge of Darkness:

Kagamandra Tulas (later Tulas Shorn) "adopted" a bunch of Jheleck hostages he calls pups. Jheleck are soletaken hounds that are described pretty much identically to the various Shadow/Darkness/Light Hounds, except they can semble into humans. So that's almost guaranteed to be the origin of the Hounds everyone is terrified of. If Garath isn't one of Tulas's hounds, he's probably another poor Jheleck/Jheck that got beaten until it forgot how to semble.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

Kagamandra Tulas (later Tulas Shorn) "adopted" a bunch of Jheleck hostages he calls pups. Jheleck are soletaken hounds that are described pretty much identically to the various Shadow/Darkness/Light Hounds, except they can semble into humans. So that's almost guaranteed to be the origin of the Hounds everyone is terrified of. If Garath isn't one of Tulas's hounds, he's probably another poor Jheleck/Jheck that got beaten until it forgot how to semble.

Soletaken in general seem to have issues with getting lost in their beast form, see Treach/Trake as example. So for Garath, that is not a bad hypothesis.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cardiac posted:

Soletaken in general seem to have issues with getting lost in their beast form, see Treach/Trake as example. So for Garath, that is not a bad hypothesis.
The locust swarm/Forkrul Assail God in the Glass Desert, too.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Alternately, Lady Envy was a complete psychopath who fed a dog magic-Steroids on a whim, then kept the huge dog around to watch peoples reactions to it.
Never discount utter psychopathy being a key motivating factor in the Malazan multi-verse.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Why torture a dog when you can torture a sentient person until they become your dog? That seems on-brand for Spite and Envy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

The best (worst) part of that is that Scabandari and Silchas did it to cheer their mate Tulas up

They were such good friends back then :unsmith:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Aaw, that's nice. I should probably reread the Kharkanas books but it would be nice if the trilogy was finished first. I liked them! Espescially the Jaghut stuff was interesting to me.

Tulas Shorn is one of my favorite characters in the main series by the way. His inner monologue on animals is heart breaking.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Man with Hat posted:

Aaw, that's nice. I should probably reread the Kharkanas books but it would be nice if the trilogy was finished first. I liked them! Espescially the Jaghut stuff was interesting to me.

Tulas Shorn is one of my favorite characters in the main series by the way. His inner monologue on animals is heart breaking.

I liked Tulas Shorn In MBotF. He was a likeable dick. I haven’t read FoL but in FoD he’s just sad boring guy like everyone else. I did like FoD just not any of the characters I thought I would.

Was any of the Kharkanas stuff gamed? I think working around the curveballs players threw him was a strength of MBotF.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 19, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

denimgorilla posted:

I liked Tulas Shorn In MBotF. He was a likeable dick. I haven’t read FoL but in FoD he’s just sad boring guy like everyone else. I did like FoD just not any of the characters I thought I would.

Was any of the Kharkanas stuff gamed? I think working around the curveballs players threw him was a strength of MBotF.

"Players" implies it's plural, he and ice have said it was mostly the two of them doing creative writing back and forth

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
For a long time, Gardens of the Moon has been the only Malazan audiobook at my local library. I just checked today and they've added all the rest in the series. It's like Christmas came early :)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Accidentally found out about this series ~10-11 weeks ago. Just finished "Memories of Ice".

Fun series, liking the characters.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just started The Bonehunters again.

Hellian :allears:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Spirit animal to Goons.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if goons have a spiritual representative in the malazan books it's Hedge

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

if goons have a spiritual representative in the malazan books it's Hedge

Ganoes.

Privileged and spends way too much time with Magic cards.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ganoes fucks too much to be a goon

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

And yet his girlfriend is, like, twelve years old, so...

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's a fair point actually, conceded

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I throught she was a hundreds year old reincarnation

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

dwarf74 posted:

And yet his girlfriend is, like, twelve years old, so...

"She looks 12 but actually her consciousness is hundreds of years old so it's not bad"

Hrmm where have I heard that before

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doesn't he get laid exactly once? Seems standard.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't he get laid exactly once? Seems standard.

Then he pined after her for half the series. Holds up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Clearly, it's actually Bottle.
Not actually bad-looking, but has no idea how to talk to women.
Literally held together by string (at one point), best friends are vermin and has weird ideas about romance thanks to his grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

And is a furry?