Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

Weight restricted flashpoints are 55T per mech and maximum drop weight 200T. Which I believe comes to exactly three Shadybirds and a Firestarter.

Not all of them - I ran a flashpoint that was maximum 230T. And then the separate unit tonnage restriction which is always 50T when you see it. My recommendation is to save a lance of Hunchbacks for those as you move into heavy/assault mechs and otherwise don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, what's this all about and why should I back it?

Edit: I've never played a Minis-based wargame. I didn't even know there was a Battletech game other than the PC version. (Other than some other Battletech-like mech games like Mechwarrior, etc)

It's a board game that has been around since 1984. MechWarrior is the same franchise and characters. You have probably spent most of your adult gaming life appreciating some thing or another that BattleTech did for western giant robot games.

And these new ones look fuckin' sick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If I want to play the DLC content is there any particular reason to start the campaign over with a new game, or is it all post-campaign content? On my first runthrough I played about 95% of the content then a different game I was waiting for came out. I've still got those savegames but I've also started a new game up through Grim Sybil.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Dlc is all post campaign except for the new mission types in random contracts and the new mechs

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You'll blitz through most of the Flashpoints with your campaign lostech Highlander and Atlas and all the +++ gear you've accrued.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to get a Raven if I didn't take the FP one or am I just out of luck for ECM stuff forever

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to get a Raven if I didn't take the FP one or am I just out of luck for ECM stuff forever

If you want a Raven, look for low skull missions with Liao as the OpFor. A Raven will sometimes appear.
If your just want the ECM, ally with one of the Great Houses and the part may show up on the faction store.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

anakha posted:

If you want a Raven, look for low skull missions with Liao as the OpFor. A Raven will sometimes appear.
If your just want the ECM, ally with one of the Great Houses and the part may show up on the faction store.

I went an entire game without ever seeing ECM in faction stores BTW.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

You'll blitz through most of the Flashpoints with your campaign lostech Highlander and Atlas and all the +++ gear you've accrued.

So better gameplay overall if I start a new campaign and work up?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They are locked until after you finish the story so no. If you wasnt then are roughly correct timeframes do career

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So better gameplay overall if I start a new campaign and work up?

Start a new game in career mode. Campaign won't give you the flashpoints until you complete the story arc IIRC, while career gives them to you immediately (so you can do them while they're still a challenge if you want).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Career Mode is the actual game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
DO you get the Argo etc. in Career Mode?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Yeah. You start out with the Argo, 5 mechs (can be randomised) and 5 (I think) mechwarriors. Darius, Surmire and the rest of the squad are also there.

I'd finish up the campaign, and then start over in career mode, if you have any interest at all in the story. Otherwise just start in career mode straight away.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, I'm not far into the campaign (just did the fight with the exploding ammo crates and two full lances) and thinking I'm just going to ditch it and play Roguetech in career mode instead, since the story seems pretty generic grimdark and the setpiece scenarios aren't that great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hawgh posted:

Yeah. You start out with the Argo, 5 mechs (can be randomised) and 5 (I think) mechwarriors. Darius, Surmire and the rest of the squad are also there.

I'd finish up the campaign, and then start over in career mode, if you have any interest at all in the story. Otherwise just start in career mode straight away.

Can you still get lostech atlas etc. in the career mode? I like my toys. That's the flashpoints?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Flashpoints are the DLC content - scripted missions.

The lostech Atlas isn't available in career but there are ways to get the SLDF Griffin, Black Knight, and Highlander.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

Flashpoints are the DLC content - scripted missions.

The lostech Atlas isn't available in career but there are ways to get the SLDF Griffin, Black Knight, and Highlander.

Highlander is cooler anyway.

I kinda like having any ongoing story though. Is there a mod to make the flashpoints pop up mid campaign mode instead?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 18, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

You can get Atlas II parts in career mode from flashpoints with "lostech items" rewards. It's random though.

732b parts can come from both rare item and lostech rewards iirc

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I bought a 732B from the black market

I was saying boo urns

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm about four hours into my new Career Mode run and it's been a motherfucker of a time (Hard/Ironman/etc.). I didn't realize that unchecking randomize starting mechs doesn't give you the option of picking them, it just doesn't randomize them. So I started with the default Vindicator/Panther/Jenner/Commander/Spider setup. Yuck.

I'm kind of hitting a wall where I've run out of .5/1/1.5 missions in my near vicinity and 2-2.5 stars are just brutal for that default setup. So I think I'm going to run the last few 1.5s I have in my immediate area for pure cash (since the Locuses and Commandos I'm getting for salvage sell for poop) and buying 2/3 of a Wolverine-6K for 1.2m c-bills to go with the 1/3 that I've already salvaged. I have to get rid of this Commando before it murders another mechwarrior.

Probably shift it back to full salvage once I can do 2-2.5 star missions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hey, the Vindicator and Jenner are solid.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
True, it's not *all* bad.

edit: Doing my first Flashpoint and urban map. Allied NPC leader is in a Spider. I encounter my first Urbanmech and it's a 60RL, the one with an AC/20. Allied leader goes in to melee.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Highlander is cooler anyway.

I kinda like having any ongoing story though. Is there a mod to make the flashpoints pop up mid campaign mode instead?
Yes, there's a line to change that'll make them show up during the campaign. I think it is adding "SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints" to an upcoming milestone:

~/Steam/BATTLETECH/BattleTech.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/data/milestones/milestone_114_sim_leopard_start.json
@@ "AddedTags" : { "items" :
[ "SYSTEM_UseTime",
+ "SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints",
"map_travel_1",
"oc01_post_se2" ],

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hey, the Vindicator and Jenner are solid.

Even the blackjack is decently mid-tier. There are better mediums but it’s a solid upgrade over just about any light.

The commando is good for a light too.

Really the only problem with that default lance is the spider. The others are not top tier, but they are good enough to not be a hindrance until you get upgrades.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Commando can be functional peppering things with its Large Laser and keeping at range to dissuade the opfor shooting at it (or missing when they do), but 40 damage per turn is less than half the firepower the Jenner is bringing to the table.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The default lance feels way less sketchy once you've able to customize it even a little.

Got 2 Centurions in my first random starting mech playthrough, which was super nice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ardlen posted:

Yes, there's a line to change that'll make them show up during the campaign. I think it is adding "SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints" to an upcoming milestone:

~/Steam/BATTLETECH/BattleTech.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/data/milestones/milestone_114_sim_leopard_start.json
@@ "AddedTags" : { "items" :
[ "SYSTEM_UseTime",
+ "SYSTEM_UseFlashpoints",
"map_travel_1",
"oc01_post_se2" ],

Thanks!

If I want to add that so they unlock, say, when I get the upgradeable argo unlocked, which exact file do I add that to?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

I'm about four hours into my new Career Mode run and it's been a motherfucker of a time (Hard/Ironman/etc.). I didn't realize that unchecking randomize starting mechs doesn't give you the option of picking them, it just doesn't randomize them. So I started with the default Vindicator/Panther/Jenner/Commander/Spider setup. Yuck.

I'm kind of hitting a wall where I've run out of .5/1/1.5 missions in my near vicinity and 2-2.5 stars are just brutal for that default setup. So I think I'm going to run the last few 1.5s I have in my immediate area for pure cash (since the Locuses and Commandos I'm getting for salvage sell for poop) and buying 2/3 of a Wolverine-6K for 1.2m c-bills to go with the 1/3 that I've already salvaged. I have to get rid of this Commando before it murders another mechwarrior.

Probably shift it back to full salvage once I can do 2-2.5 star missions.

4 hours in isn't so far that you shouldn't just start over. If you've run out of .5-1.5 skull missions and don't have the mediums to do 2 skulls, you probably need to start over to get a better start. Some suggestions:

-The starting planet usually has 3 parts for a medium in it available for sale. Usually, its a centurion or a blackjack. Both of them are worth buying. I'm assuming you're running 3 mech parts to salvage, so this is your second medium. Do not leave the system without buying it. Prioritize this over anything else, but wait till you've completed all of the contracts on the first world (you may get parts for one and need to spend less). Sell the commando if necessary.

-Always go for at least 3 priority salvage on 1.5 skull missions and for all assassination missions. 1 skull too if you have a way to get the money for the initial medium. This is how you get your third medium (especially assassination missions which are a guaranteed medium spawn)

-Do not make big modifications on your mechs early on. This takes time and time is money. There are a number of modifications you can make right at the beginning that cost 0 days that make your starter mechs much better:
--On the vindicator, drop the SL and a heatsink or two to bring the armor up (at least 100 points in each side torso/leg, max the arms)
--Remove all JJs from the Spider and bring armor up to near max. Save a ton for 2xSL (you'll add these later when you leave the planet)
--Remove all JJs and SRM4/ammo from the Jenner and bring armor up to near max. Save a ton or two for more HS
--Remove the SRM and ammo from the commando, and put it into armor.
--Remove a HS or two and up the armor on the Panther

-Do not make repairs on minor structural damage. If a mech takes an armor breach and takes 2-5 structure damage, do not repair this. You can fight with this damage. Repairing it makes it unavailable for the rest of the contracts on the planet and sucks up mech bay time. Mech bay time early on is critical.

-Make minimal modifications on your start mechs and focus mech bay time on your new mediums. The key thing is to add as few new components a possible. On top of the modifications above, I suggest the following:
--Drop the ML, LRM5 and any HS necessary to add a LRM10. Thats decent FS in the early game, although it becomes outclassed pretty quickly.
--Add 2xSL to the spider. It now has a decent alpha and is a good melee mech for the light/early med phase of the game.
--Add a HS or two to the jenner. 4xML on a platform that fast, especially with a tactics 6 pilot, is nothing to sneeze at in the early game
--Add another ML to the commando. Save this one for last. By the time you might be able to get around to this, your new mediums should be ready (you'll never use this)

-Once you have two mediums being built in your bays, start traveling toward the Joint Venture and The Prototype flashpoints. This will give your new mediums time to be built. There are plenty of <2.5 skull planets to stop at if you need to make some money to stay afloat. Once you finish either of these flash points, you'll be flush with cash and will have probably salvaged another medium or two. If you do Joint Venture right, you'll have an Awesome <100 days into the career.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks!

If I want to add that so they unlock, say, when I get the upgradeable argo unlocked, which exact file do I add that to?

I think it's milestone 203 or something like that? I can post it when I get home in a couple of hours if no one else has.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Goddamn it I might play this game AGAIN

:psylon:

Thinking about modding PPC heat so I don't replace them 100% of the time. What's a good value to make them usable but not overpowered?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
30 is what they should be if you brought over the TT values(down from 35) and it feels about right. Although in my game I have also nerfed Large lasers to 21 heat because 18 is absurdly low. You can also mod the PPC debuff to stack which makes having more than one or two across your lance a lot less redundant.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

22 or 24 is good number if you're leaving the Large Laser at 18.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I restarted, ending up in the Arano Restoration instead of in the middle of nowhere. Did like three missions and could afford a Wolverine-6R. It's amazing what a difference the starting area makes, they should probably work on that.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

AtillatheBum posted:

You can also mod the PPC debuff to stack which makes having more than one or two across your lance a lot less redundant.

PPCs debuff has stacked since it was changed in 1.3. Sensor Locks degradation can't stack beyond 2 locks, but you can throw more PPCs on top of that to keep ruining the enemy shots. The SLock degradation cap is new to 1.6.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh cool, I knocked out a Hunchback-8P!

Oh poo poo, my salvage is 2/14.

I can totally do it, there's only 16 total salvage items in the loot pile.

<collects every piece of loot except the last Hunchback part and a small laser>

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alwaus go full salvage

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It was full salvage :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol I think mw5 is going epic game store

russ is being super cagey about it, they are desperately hungry for money and it has a real :pgi: flavour about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

Goddamn it I might play this game AGAIN

:psylon:

Thinking about modding PPC heat so I don't replace them 100% of the time. What's a good value to make them usable but not overpowered?

I have modded mine to this value and they're fine.