Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Diablo 3 is more straight forward about the game being a never-ending power creep. Plus all builds are viable until you get near GR60+. Each season they add a modifier to change things up. All in all, current Diablo 3 is good. And it doesn't take that long to get into GR40-50 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The worst part about Diablo 3 at launch was that every item in the game, even uniques, were just stat boosters which meant that a fully geared out character played no different than one that just used poo poo bought from the town vendors.

Then when the expansion hit they wised the gently caress up and made it so that uniques and set items could actually changed the properties of the skills which actually made the game fun to play since every unique item that dropped for you had the chance of drastically changing your play style and made builds potentially stand out from one another.

If Diablo 4 ever comes out I'm fully expecting it to be a trainwreck on launch as well.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is Diablo 3 on Switch good or should I just stick to pc?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xcom 2 is a well balanced and not at all stupidly loving hard game.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Xcom 2 is a well balanced and not at all stupidly loving hard game.

Nothing about the Chosen is any fun. They're a chore from start to finish.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

Is Diablo 3 on Switch good or should I just stick to pc?

Honestly I don’t even like Diablo 3 and I enjoy it on switch.

It’s a miserable game to sink hours into because it’s so mindless and repetitive, but it’s basically the perfect game to pick up and play for 15 minutes. It’s also a really good port. I’ll never play Diablo on a non portable again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i enjoyed d3 for one playthrough when it came out, but I rebought it on PS4 and play it with my wife when the weather is lovely and it’s great, like a fancy Gauntlet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Therefore War of the Chosen remains faithful to the franchise

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

i enjoyed d3 for one playthrough when it came out, but I rebought it on PS4 and play it with my wife when the weather is lovely and it’s great, like a fancy Gauntlet

Yeah. When it came out on PC I grew to resent it quickly, because on top of all of it's original problems, it's just not fun to sit there at a desk and play for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

When I got the switch version I had the same thought as you. "This is just like Gauntlet with really high production values" that I can play forever at my leisure. It's really fun to just bust out a few missions every couple of days and put it back down.

I was a D3 hater up until very recently but I think im converted. it's just a good game to have around.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah the unsaid coda to that post was “and I’m seriously considering grabbing it again on Switch the next time it’s on a decent sale/cheap used” because poo poo, my switch + dock fit in one nice little case I can take anywhere.

related to the above, it is totally unacceptable that in today’s cyberpunk capitalist dystopia an official switch dock costs ninety fuckin’ USD and a knockoff third party dock has a high chance of bricking your console

not-really-but-kinda-tangentially related to the above, my sweet perfect puppy I’ve mentioned upthread has started snuggling up to my feet while I play Warframe which makes Warframe a very good game, I think

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Diablo is good if you team up with your buddies once a year or so to try the new seasonal sets until you've beaten it with all the characters. But I feel like playing any game infinitely isn't really a good way to play games.

something about the dodgeroll they added to the PS4 version made all the difference to me, my last character jumped around like a psycho making GBS threads lava every time he landed

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Between bullshit like this and companies moving rendering off site so that you never have a copy of the game to yourself I think games are going to suck for the forseeable future. RIP video games

EDIT: fixed link

olives black fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 19, 2019

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Doom Eternal will probably be the last good game, and then we can all pack it in and find another hobby

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
or just band together, make content and maintain servers for all of the id Software engines that have been open sourced

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wish there were wolf:et servers that weren't all modded to poo poo and filled with bots

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

not-really-but-kinda-tangentially related to the above, my sweet perfect puppy I’ve mentioned upthread has started snuggling up to my feet while I play Warframe which makes Warframe a very good game, I think
Is it just Warframe? That's some weird loving conditioning

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat Xcom2 becomes way more playable once you upgrade the armor, every mission was a drat bloodbath for me before.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The sword Chosen that is the first to be revealed is by far the most difficult one, imo, and the only one who really gave me trouble. The other Chosen have really fiddly abilities that are for the most part easy to prevent from triggering, meanwhile the sword lady just runs in the middle of your guys out of nowhere, slices them open and then disappears back into the fog, which is much simpler than what the others do, but also all the more effective.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Is it just Warframe? That's some weird loving conditioning

idk she genuinely doesn't seem to do it as much when i'm on mario maker 2 and those are the only two things i'm really doing with my switch right now

olives black posted:

Between bullshit like this and companies moving rendering off site so that you never have a copy of the game to yourself I think games are going to suck for the forseeable future. RIP video games

what was this, the video has been removed

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Warframe really loving sucked until I learned that it doesn't have to be multiplayer. I played like five missions looking at some dickweed's rear end double jumping into ravines.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ARPGS are kind of just relaxing when they decide to make things less relaxing they become less enjoyable. See reflect, x damage immunity for what not to do. Like the logical way to make an ARPG hard would make the controls responsive, don't allow/minimize the ability to grind to outlevel/outgear things, make things hard to dodge. Wait did I just make like a Bullet Hell or something like Binding of Isaac which are both not ARPGs.

Warframe sucks because it's f2p poison. For fucks sake it has real time locked content. Oh you want that weapon? Wait 24 hours or I suppose you could spend currency to speed it up.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

what was this, the video has been removed

fixed

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Warframe sucks because it's f2p poison. For fucks sake it has real time locked content. Oh you want that weapon? Wait 24 hours or I suppose you could spend currency to speed it up.

I didn't mind that at first, since it gives you plenty of time to work through the campaign, collect weapon mods, and experiment with your existing frames and weapons while you waited for a new shiney to pop out.

But the problem with Warframe is that it's not really a challenging game at all and once you have one top tier weapon or a prime frame, you can mindlessly annihilate anything the game can throw at you.

That's was the case for me anyway. I got to the point were I was grinding out lovely frames and weapons because it was too easy playing with my really good stuff. Then when I realized what I was doing I just quit playing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I played Warframe on and off for a while. I started back when "lovely Grineer space station" was like the only environment, and stopped sometime a little after the dog pets were introduced.

I don't even know what would happen if I logged in. There is like a progressable story now? Would I just have some arbitrary portion of it completed? Would I be at the beginning but with all my gear? Does that poo poo even transfer sensibly?

Video games are weird these days, man.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

EDF5 is 100+ levels of blasting the gently caress out of everything with minimal story, bad graphics, and no microtransactions. And it loving rules. Imagine that.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

I wish there were wolf:et servers that weren't all modded to poo poo and filled with bots

I wish people still played ET: Quake Wars. I loved that game.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

SilvergunSuperman posted:

drat Xcom2 becomes way more playable once you upgrade the armor, every mission was a drat bloodbath for me before.

For real I had bounced off it so many times then it turned into a cake walk after upgrading my armor.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

is pepsi ok posted:

EDF5 is 100+ levels of blasting the gently caress out of everything with minimal story, bad graphics, and no microtransactions. And it loving rules. Imagine that.

give it time

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Warframe has a type of enemy, Nullifiers, that walk around in a big yellow bubble that blocks warframe space magic, cancels buffs of frames in the bubble, and block gunfire.

Players hate them, but I’ve always thought they were a fun and interesting addition to their factions.

Chomp8645 posted:

I played Warframe on and off for a while. I started back when "lovely Grineer space station" was like the only environment, and stopped sometime a little after the dog pets were introduced.

I don't even know what would happen if I logged in. There is like a progressable story now? Would I just have some arbitrary portion of it completed? Would I be at the beginning but with all my gear? Does that poo poo even transfer sensibly?

Video games are weird these days, man.

You’d be put into a little tutorial quest line, like any new player would be, and you’d be able to use all your stuff again after completing it. You might have access to nodes on the star map that match whatever missions you had already completed. You’d likely need to go through support to play at all, since inactive accounts get locked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

trip report, siralim 3 is actually pretty great despite the opening being really heavy with its use of TORUN THE VULGAR SWEARING JACKASS GOD OF ANGER

within two minutes of starting the game an npc is like "yo, here's an item that makes you walk faster 100% of the time, enjoy", and it lets you set up default macros and stuff for your creatures, lots of nice lil QoL stuff

you can also zoom the screen graphics level which is cool because 4x looks good on my tv and 2x looks good on the handheld mode

the Siralim series rules. Pokemon for adults! it gives me hope that one day I too can sell my RPG Maker masterpiece and retire.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

or just band together, make content and maintain servers for all of the id Software engines that have been open sourced

there's enough SNES Rom randomizers now to keep me occupied for a century. I don't really mind if modern games suck, let the stupid kids buy all the microtransactions they can handle.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

aegof posted:

Warframe has a type of enemy, Nullifiers, that walk around in a big yellow bubble that blocks warframe space magic, cancels buffs of frames in the bubble, and block gunfire.

Players hate them, but I’ve always thought they were a fun and interesting addition to their factions.

You’d be put into a little tutorial quest line, like any new player would be, and you’d be able to use all your stuff again after completing it. You might have access to nodes on the star map that match whatever missions you had already completed. You’d likely need to go through support to play at all, since inactive accounts get locked.

Nah - I logged in for the first time in 4 years and everything I had was still there. There's some weird poo poo with my having access to planets I probably shouldn't have because I haven't completed story missions required to open them, but I opened them before the story missions existed. Or something - maybe, IDK.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Huh, just upgraded my existing Gold subscription that expires July 19th, 2022 to Game Pass Ultimate for one single dollar. Cool.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

tango alpha delta posted:

Huh, just upgraded my existing Gold subscription that expires July 19th, 2022 to Game Pass Ultimate for one single dollar. Cool.

Just did this, too. $1 for 3 years is p sweet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Console players have Stockholm syndrome or some poo poo

just LOL at paying an extra fee for multiplayer and being happy about it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Eh, you get some free games with it. Honestly it's just a growing up thing. When I was young and single I had endless time to build a PC and fiddle with games to maje them work. Now with a family and real job, I just want to unwind for an hr or two after putting the kid to bed. A few bucks each month for new games to try and that works out of the box is fine by me.

That pcmasterrace stuff just sounds like some young turk with a two seat racer making fun of people buying a minivan.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Console players have Stockholm syndrome or some poo poo

just LOL at paying an extra fee for multiplayer and being happy about it

But its so much cheaper than buying a new PC every 2 months, not to mention the blue screens of death!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meanwhile irl: I just put a new GPU in my 7 year old PC because theres still no compelling reason to upgrade a 7 year old 3770k for gaming, even though the new ryzen chips are sexy AF. Replaying Mexodus on ultra w/ raytracing and it's really pretty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Ultimate pass referred to above gives you gamepass on both PC and Console as well as Xbox Live Gold. Currently you can turn 3 years of a 5 dollar a month subscription (gold) into 3 years of a 15 dollar a month subscription (Ultimate) for one dollar.

Basically if you like the idea of game pass its an officially endorsed way from ms to lock in up to 3 years of the service at 1/3rd price, or lower depending on your hunting for gold deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you're paying more than zero dollars for multiplayer they're stealing your money