Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

DiomedesGodshill posted:

My take on a summer salad. Compressed watermelon, raw golden beats, strawberries, figs, toasted hazel nuts, feta cheese, and baby greens with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Where do you live that you're getting figs this time of year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sterster posted:

Flank steak fajita night.

Aww yess that looks just right

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Thank you for this - I’ve made this 8 or more times in the last couple of weeks including grilling them with soy instead of miso for the fourth and it’s been great every time

:hellyeah:

I keep wanting to add things to the recipe out of a deep-seated need to Fiddle, but I can't bring myself to change anything.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

prayer group posted:

Where do you live that you're getting figs this time of year?

In the southern US.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I made some traditional Al Pastor taco meat. It was 100% spot on. Soo good. We ate more than what we needed for our meal prep.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Breaking in my new ramekins with some lopsided souffles.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Some people aren’t into the big steamed quahogs. Generally the bigger a clam is, the tougher it is. Most people around here will chop up the big ones and use them for clam cakes or chowder. I personally love the big chewy ones just as much as the smaller tender ones.

Typically smaller clams like littlenecks or cherry stones you’d throw over some linguine or just eat them raw like an oyster. The big ones are a meal all their own and you just need some bread to dip in the broth.

A neighbor hauled three huge buckets of these guys out of the beach himself. Asked me if I wanted some because he couldn’t possible eat them all. I ate half raw and steamed the other half.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
SKINNER: Superintendent, I hope you're ready for mouthwatering hamburgers!
CHALMERS: I thought we were having steamed clams.
SKINNER: D'oh, no. I said steamed hams! That's what I call hamburgers!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Dinner dump.

Salmon and lentils.

Chicken kebabs, tzatziki, black rice.

BLT

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Strawberry whipped cream cake, definitely the most complicated thing I've baked. Should be even better with a night in the fridge...

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I found this wagyu tri-tip for a good price that I couldn't pass up.

Dry-brined in the fridge overnight.

Covered with a santa maria rub.

Sous vide 5hrs @ 132F

Seared in a stainless steel pan with butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served with a chimichurri and a baked potato:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucker

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Right!? Speaking of brining I fell like I should be doing it more instead of just on Turkey Day. I honestly don't know the 1st thing about wet vs dry for which meats and how long. I should do some reading.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide 5hrs @ 132F

Seared in a stainless steel pan with butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served with a chimichurri and a baked potato:

I’m doing this poo poo for real

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sterster posted:

Right!? Speaking of brining I fell like I should be doing it more instead of just on Turkey Day. I honestly don't know the 1st thing about wet vs dry for which meats and how long. I should do some reading.

"Salt Fat Acid Heat" my droog

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

sterster posted:

I really like the effects of dry brining steak, and it takes so little effort aside from planning. Even if you can only do it for a few hours before you cook it, it's worth it. Overnight is the best though.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Random Hero posted:

I really like the effects of dry brining steak, and it takes so little effort aside from planning. Even if you can only do it for a few hours before you cook it, it's worth it. Overnight is the best though.

Indeed. Salt & laying on a wire rack for 24 hours in the fridge before cooking makes a massive difference. Also works great for chicken wings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Finally got an eggplant in the garden so decided to make tendon. Also other garden vegetables: green beans, snow peas, mini Japanese turnips, assorted green leaves, and a couple pieces of flounder (not from the garden).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Something I cook in various configurations. Yet to get a decent photo. For some reason it's elusive.

Cod, pan fried in Chorizo fats, Spanish Chorizo garnish, bed of Herbed Potatoes, Slow Olive Oil Poached Garden Tomatoes, Fennel and Shallots.

Grand Fromage posted:

Finally got an eggplant in the garden so decided to make tendon. Also other garden vegetables: green beans, snow peas, mini Japanese turnips, assorted green leaves, and a couple pieces of flounder (not from the garden).

Can you clarify what Tendon is? It's obviously not connecting tissue, but a quick google doesn't teach me anything of any use. Good looking thing though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tempura donburi

The Japanese love portmanteaus

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cavenagh posted:

Can you clarify what Tendon is? It's obviously not connecting tissue, but a quick google doesn't teach me anything of any use. Good looking thing though.

Tempura donburi. Tempura on rice with a sauce drizzled over it all.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

Something I cook in various configurations. Yet to get a decent photo. For some reason it's elusive.

If you’re going to photograph food on a dark blue plate, the ambient lighting in the room needs to be equivalent to standing approximately three feet from a forty thousand watt stadium light.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Food photography is something that lags way behind with me. Also I tend to cook small portions for regular weeknight meals, so sometimes it’s hard to make my plates look “bountiful”.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^^^
Let me lower the standards for you.

Being lazy today so I just grilled some sausages, kids are away at grandparents so no need to cook for a bunch of people.

Goes well with sauerkraut and mustard.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
What, no bun? What do you think you are, some kind of yer-oh-peein or somethin?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Butter-basted porkchop with whole grain mustard pan sauce and roasted green beans with roasted mushrooms.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

kumba posted:

Indeed. Salt & laying on a wire rack for 24 hours in the fridge before cooking makes a massive difference. Also works great for chicken wings.

hell yeah I did Kenji's oven wings after resting in the fridge for 24 hours and they were so so so good

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Butter-basted porkchop with whole grain mustard pan sauce and roasted green beans with roasted mushrooms.

Pan fried pork chop with mustard pan sauce is my go to weeknight meal and this one looks fantastic, gonna have try with whole grain because I usually just grab Dijon and I love how this looks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide 5hrs @ 132F

That is the single best looking thing i think I’ve ever seen in GWS.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Turn on your monitor :3:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Thali #2! Butter chicken, masoor dal, cucumber/craisin raita, bitter melon and mango pickle, mint chutney, and naan!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

^^^^^^
Let me lower the standards for you.

Being lazy today so I just grilled some sausages, kids are away at grandparents so no need to cook for a bunch of people.

Goes well with sauerkraut and mustard.

Cervelat?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just your typical cheapo finnish sausages with high flour to meat ratio. I prefer those over the high meat ratio varieties anyway, the classic taste. And hey nowadays I can point out it's more eco-friendly to boot.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thali #2! Butter chicken, masoor dal, cucumber/craisin raita, bitter melon and mango pickle, mint chutney, and naan!

Holy gently caress that looks absolutely perfect.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

3 tablespoons white miso paste
3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)
A bit over 1 tablespoon honey

Whisk that together in a bowl, leave sit.

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

They're far too delicious for the amount of effort it takes.

I finally made these, and I agree that they're incredibly good for how easy it is.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just got back from a long work trip, so time to make some stuff.

Weird thing.... Pan-fried dumplings, folded like agnolotti, stuffed with thai pork filling (garlic, oyster sauce, dark soy, palm sugar). Served with crispy garlic spinach in what is basically a really strong Tom Kha broth with extra hot fermented chili oil. It's a total bastardization, but goddamn was it good.

Caprese with a tomato from the garden.

S'mores pie for the first time, but every recipe was lacking a key ingredient to s'mores. Campfire smoke! So, gave the graham crackers 5 minutes of heavy oak smoke. drat good.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Doom Rooster posted:

S'mores pie for the first time, but every recipe was lacking a key ingredient to s'mores. Campfire smoke! So, gave the graham crackers 5 minutes of heavy oak smoke. drat good.

Hot drat what a great idea. Going to have to steal that one.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Omg that looks amazing. How do I make this thing?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
beef and broccoli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

novamute posted:

Hot drat what a great idea. Going to have to steal that one.

sterster posted:

Omg that looks amazing. How do I make this thing?

Thanks!

Pretty easy.

Crust:
1 stick melted unsalted butter
14ish whole graham crackers

Smoke the graham crackers with oak for like 5 minutes, food processor/crush them into crumbs. Stir together with the melted butter then press into a pie plate, compressing it with the bottom of a heavy glass. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set the butter, or it will crumb out when you poor the filling in.

12oz good milk chocolate
1.5cups heavy cream
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4tsp salt

Bring the cream up to just boiling, turn off heat and add chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then whisk until smooth, add in eggs and salt, whisk smooth. pour through a sieve into the prepped pie crust and bake at 350 for about 30minutes. The center should still be wobbly, but not liquid.

Cool COMPLETELY before topping with a thick layer of marshmallow cream, gently torch to desired marshmallow doneness, including the side of the marshmallow layer after serving if the toasty marshmallow is your favorite part.. For a clean cut, run a knife under hot water and wipe dry before each slice. Keep in the fridge, but it's actually best served at room temp.