Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STR posted:

... are those late 90s Cavalier headlights? :smith:
Literally the first thing I was drawn to. Sometimes I try that little game with RVs and see what the donor vehicles were for things like that.

We have a small little local pizza place in the population 9000 bedroom community I live in. Actually, we have 5 pizza places in this small town and because of there being so many no specific one seem to be super patronized. But my favorite is this little place running out of the kitchen of a closed hotel owned by best I can figure out 3 immigrant families (of interestingly 3 different ethnicities) scratching out a living.

The pizza is, quite honestly, some of the best I've ever had anywhere. It is fantastic. So good, I'd drive from an hour away just to eat there. I would be heartbroken if this place closes due to lack of business so I do my part with telling people about it, only buying my pizza there and leaving positive reviews.

Anyhow, buying lunch tomorrow for 14-16 guys so I went in and ordered a whole shitload of pizza, onion rings, wings. Totally made the guys' day who took my order :3:

On the way out I noticed they had BIG slices of pizza for $3. Haven't eaten lunch yet, so why not. Gave him $5 and told him to keep the change. Dude was just beaming at me. Took the all meat (bacon, ham, pepperoni, italian sausage). The pizza it came from is probably 18", so it's a big slice

Holy poo poo. My favorite best pizza ever just might have got replaced... by another pizza from the same place. And I'm stuffed.

Support your local food guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

*grumble*
So my apartment complex has been repainting - changing the entire color scheme. That's fine, I like the new scheme more than the old one.

What I don't like is doors getting painted shut. I clicked the remote to get into my garage last night and the door jumped, then slammed back down. Huh? Click the remote again, same thing. Clicked again while lifting it by hand from the bottom, it made a loud POP and went up fine. It was too dark for me to see that they'd painted, and there's no other way into the garage. The way it jumped, I figured maybe the spring let go and I could probably help it up (it's the thinnest aluminum door in the world). I couldn't wait around for emergency maintenance to show up, and the way it was acting was classic broken spring.... not "superglued shut by paint".

Walking around today, it looks like at least 3/4 of the garage doors on the property are caved in at the top now, so at least I'm not alone.

slidebite posted:

Literally the first thing I was drawn to. Sometimes I try that little game with RVs and see what the donor vehicles were for things like that.

Holy poo poo. My favorite best pizza ever just might have got replaced... by another pizza from the same place. And I'm stuffed.

Support your local food guys.

The funny thing is... I got drawn to that on the current iteration of the UPS package cars. I recognized them immediately, thanks to my mother's brief ownership of an Oldsmobile Intrigue. It's amazing that you never see them yellowed at all on the trucks, but they do go straight into a garage when the route is done.

I try to play that game on RVs too. Seems like a shitload used 92-96 Ford F-series headlights, despite them being pretty garbage.

And yeah always support your local restaurants, if they're good. There's a really good pizza place here that's owned by a salty middle eastern (I'd guess Lebanese?) lady, and it's just her running the place. Discovered her place when doing deliveries for various platforms. Her main thing is wraps and gyros, but when she rented the place, it came with a double pizza oven (one broken, one working, and having worked with the same model at various places, I'm pretty sure I could get the broken one going if she wanted it to work), so she makes use of it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 18, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

*grumble*
So my apartment complex has been repainting - changing the entire color scheme. That's fine, I like the new scheme more than the old one.

What I don't like is doors getting painted shut. I clicked the remote to get into my garage last night and the door jumped, then slammed back down. Huh? Click the remote again, same thing. Clicked again while lifting it by hand from the bottom, it made a loud POP and went up fine. It was too dark for me to see that they'd painted, and there's no other way into the garage. The way it jumped, I figured maybe the spring let go and I could probably help it up (it's the thinnest aluminum door in the world). I couldn't wait around for emergency maintenance to show up, and the way it was acting was classic broken spring.... not "superglued shut by paint".

$5 says the opening arm pulled itself right out of the door bracket.

I am a total sucker for good donairs/gyros. Preferably with a bit of hot sauce.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

*grumble*

Walking around today, it looks like at least 3/4 of the garage doors on the property are caved in at the top now, so at least I'm not alone.

The funny thing is... I got drawn to that on the current iteration of the UPS package cars. I recognized them immediately, thanks to my mother's brief ownership of an Oldsmobile Intrigue. It's amazing that you never see them yellowed at all on the trucks, but they do go straight into a garage when the route is done.

I try to play that game on RVs too. Seems like a shitload used 92-96 Ford F-series headlights, despite them being pretty garbage.

And yeah always support your local restaurants, if they're good. There's a really good pizza place here that's owned by a salty middle eastern (I'd guess Lebanese?) lady, and it's just her running the place. Discovered her place when doing deliveries for various platforms. Her main thing is wraps and gyros, but when she rented the place, it came with a double pizza oven (one broken, one working, and having worked with the same model at various places, I'm pretty sure I could get the broken one going if she wanted it to work), so she makes use of it.

is it really that loving hard to tape down some plastic so the doors don't glue themselves shut?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beach Bum posted:

Was the 40lb drop intentional? Getting sober is tough; I've been trying to banish the cigarette monkey for years on and off and it's rough. I think I just need a new job, I only get started smoking when I have to drive a lot.

It was. I need to cut 40 more.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I hate how well driving and smoking go together. I turn into a fiend on road trips

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

$5 says the opening arm pulled itself right out of the door bracket.

Nah, the arm is firmly attached, and the door works fine now that it's unstuck. They used nuts and bolts instead of the typical sheet metal screws. Probably left the door openers at the default force settings when installed tho (I'd count on that being set up out of the box for an average weight 2 car door, not a paper thin apartment special).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

is it really that loving hard to tape down some plastic so the doors don't glue themselves shut?

When you're knocking out 15 buildings over a couple of months (half of which have attached garages), plus 10 stand-alone garage buildings, and you're already way over schedule.... yes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 18, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's great. In my quest to be a faster bike racer I've been drinking less beer, even being an already pretty thin guy it helped me drop a solid 10-15 lbs. That and less sugar/junk food makes a big difference quickly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Door Frame posted:

I hate how well driving and smoking go together. I turn into a fiend on road trips

VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE.

For a while there I wasn't sure if I loved smoking or driving more, but I did know that I had a real hard time driving without smoking.
Now I just vape and I don't even care if I do that.
Life is boring and nothing excites me anymore.

STR posted:

Nah, the arm is firmly attached, and the door works fine now that it's unstuck. They used nuts and bolts instead of the typical sheet metal screws. Probably left the door openers at the default force settings when installed tho (I'd count on that being set up out of the box for an average weight 2 car door, not a paper thin apartment special).

When you're knocking out 15 buildings over a couple of months (half of which have attached garages), plus 10 stand-alone garage buildings, and you're already way over schedule.... yes.

Fine. loving cardboard boxes then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lol they already use cardboard to block off areas. Problem is there's vinyl trim that covers the edges of the doors, and that's what got glued. I assume to act as a weather/rain barrier (despite there being a code-required vent cut into each door - there's a tiny bit of paint on my car bumper from that :argh:).

jamal posted:

That's great. In my quest to be a faster bike racer I've been drinking less beer, even being an already pretty thin guy it helped me drop a solid 10-15 lbs. That and less sugar/junk food makes a big difference quickly.

I need to do that. Badly. I'm down 15 lbs, but that's from having a physically demanding job. My beer consumption has cut down considerably, but I'm still a daily drinker.

Sugar has been gone for a long time (mostly... I made an apple cobbler the other day :doh:). Junk food is a bit more limited these days, but still there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

double post. I'm annoyed with Amazon.

I returned 2 things over the past week. Both went out via UPS. For both I elected to get store credit. Both were 3rd party sellers fulfilled by Amazon (though one is a wholly owned Amazon subsidiary).

The lovely headphones I bitched about in another thread? I dropped those off at the UPS store around 10am. I got an email an hour ago saying my refund was complete.

Some shoes I ordered that didn't fit, and planned to re-order the next size up? I sent them almost week ago from the same UPS store. UPS shows they were delivered, still no refund. Those went back to Amazon, but were sold by Zappos, which is owned by Amazon, and I bought them via Amazon.com (fulfilled by Amazon, so shipped back to Amazon). I'd just re-order them in the right size now, but I'd rather do it with the store credit instead of burning cash.

Maybe it's because I've returned 2 pairs of shoes this month? :iiam:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

The first pic of the interior of the new mid-engined Corvette is out and it is an absolute button-frenzy disaster.

Ferrari gives the passenger a nice screen with a readout of speed and stuff. Corvette gives the passenger a lap full of miscellaneous control buttons. :911:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

The first pic of the interior of the new mid-engined Corvette is out and it is an absolute button-frenzy disaster.

Ferrari gives the passenger a nice screen with a readout of speed and stuff. Corvette gives the passenger a lap full of miscellaneous control buttons. :911:

I was like, that doesn't look so bad ... and then I looked closer at the picture. That's ridiculous. I thought it was a grab handle with weird reflections.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

what the gently caress is going on in that interior

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

First glance "Alright"

five seconds later "wat"

15 seconds late: pick your favorite meme. "It's full of buttons", "Jerry standing up with his hands in the air and walking out" etc etc.

That is really bad.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
saturn v had less buttons

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

:lol::lol::lol:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

20's GM, everyone.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can already hear the whining from Corvette Guys in my mind. It's glorious.

Question for Chicago-area goons: any of you guys want this bigass Bud Light sign?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So I have never been to a motorsport race in my life and this Sunday im going to the finals of NHRA nationals south of Denver. Im stoked as gently caress.
Are the lovely foam ear plugs enough or should I actually get full on ear muffs. (my shits already hosed up from working in a shop, shooting guns and going to stupid loud concerts)

Also anyone else going? Ill be drunk in section E.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

Diesel Corvette, nice.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You need over the ear type and the foam type. Dont give yourself permanent hearing damage. There is nothing manly about that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Preoptopus posted:

So I have never been to a motorsport race in my life and this Sunday im going to the finals of NHRA nationals south of Denver. Im stoked as gently caress.
Are the lovely foam ear plugs enough or should I actually get full on ear muffs. (my shits already hosed up from working in a shop, shooting guns and going to stupid loud concerts)

Both. You want both ear plugs and ear muffs.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Both. You want both ear plugs and ear muffs.

If Cat Interceptor says so then thats that settled. Would the harbor freight cheapys work or should i actually lay down some cash

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bandimere? Bandimere is in Morrison, which is up against the foothills west of Denver. As are the mountains!

Seriously tho wear earpro, all big drag stuff is outrageously loud. $0.25 foam plugs + $9.99 HF over the ear protection. Is all you need.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW, lovely foam plugs do a better job than any over-the-ear muffs. At least, that's what they tell me at work and according to my hearing shift test I'm doing pretty well for going on 20 years in construction.

Obviously, foam plugs + over-the-ear is max protection.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You know, if that car came out in 1983, that interior would be so loving cool. Since it's almost 40 years out of date, all I can think about is how much better the Pontiac Solstice interior looks

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can already hear the whining from Corvette Guys in my mind. It's glorious.

Question for Chicago-area goons: any of you guys want this bigass Bud Light sign?

I love tacky booze memorabilia, if that is as old as it looks, I'm down

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tremek posted:

Bandimere? Bandimere is in Morrison, which is up against the foothills west of Denver. As are the mountains!

Seriously tho wear earpro, all big drag stuff is outrageously loud. $0.25 foam plugs + $9.99 HF over the ear protection. Is all you need.

Well southwestish lol i didnt wanna wanna be specific. You going?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Door Frame posted:

You know, if that car came out in 1983, that interior would be so loving cool. Since it's almost 40 years out of date, all I can think about is how much better the Pontiac Solstice interior looks

I love tacky booze memorabilia, if that is as old as it looks, I'm down

I think it was a Return of the Jedi tie-in, so it's from the 80s I'm pretty sure.

doogle
May 24, 2003

angryrobots posted:

FWIW, lovely foam plugs do a better job than any over-the-ear muffs. At least, that's what they tell me at work and according to my hearing shift test I'm doing pretty well for going on 20 years in construction.

Obviously, foam plugs + over-the-ear is max protection.

lovely foam plugs (the cylindrical kind) are absolutely the best. Dont pay real money for any earplug. Ear muff type ear pro on the other hand, Id shell out a bit of coin on, make sure they fit your head and make a good seal.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Also, make sure you learn to use the foam ones correctly. Roll them down, don't squeeze them. Insert kind of deep and hold in place until they expand. If you just smash them down, you can create wrinkles that act as channels to let sound in.

Foam + over the ear is best. I haven't been to NHRA since I was a kid, but it was so loud my eyes vibrated.... Which made it that much cooler

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Preoptopus posted:

I am so excited for you. Seriously. I'll echo everyone and say double-up on the ear pro. You will be loving shocked at how loud those cars are.

Also, of you wander around the pits between rounds, see if you can get close to a crew when they test run the engine after the rebuild. Your eyes will water and the smell of nitro will be stuck in your nose for a couple days. It's glorious.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh man, I forgot about that. That's the best part. See if you can score an engine part. My dad snagged a connecting rod for me when I was a kid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the exhaust isn't as rough as it used to be, but yeah, when you see the pit crew putting on gas masks, it's for a good reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Preoptopus posted:

I like wearing well fitting, isolating earbuds with my shooting range over ear protection on top.
Drag racing is loud as gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lovely or improperly used foam earplugs with lovely over ear muffs will be worse than good foam earplugs alone.

Don't have false security just because you're doubling up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Preoptopus posted:

If Cat Interceptor says so then thats that settled. Would the harbor freight cheapys work or should i actually lay down some cash

I'd lay cash down as good ear protection always comes in handy.

And you'll be back to watch them. Oh will you ever. You dont hear the sound.... you feel it because it is a hammerblow to the gut. Absolutly nothing I say will do justice to what you are going to experience when a Fueller lights up off the line. A gunshot what... 140db? Fuellers are more like 160db+and I've seen estimates at 170Db

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Preoptopus posted:

You get one set of ears. Spend a buck.

Most foamie plugs are around NRR30, which will only bring a 140db drag run down to 110db, which is potential permanent hearing damage on exposure with chances increasing from 0 - 15 minutes. You want to get it down to sub-85 db for safety.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

slidebite posted:

I am now preparing for roller coaster ride that's just beginning. :(

I am very sorry, this is terrible. Stay strong there.