Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
:nws: (barely) https://i.imgur.com/fbyIZsG.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Young Ricky knows how to party.

Also: get a vasectomy, eat whatever you want, and sleep in every weekend.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

I found Youtube Kids so disturbing that I just set my kid up with a collection of shows and movies on Plex that I found acceptable (Shawn the Sheep, Timmy Time, Signing Time, Mister Rogers, etc) and only let him watch that. I don't let him have a tablet of his own or let him watch Youtube unless the grown-ups are picking out the videos.

I'm just a lovely parent in other ways. For example despite all attempts to the contrary I've managed to raise one of those kids who only eats chicken nuggets, plain pasta, and cheese.

Same.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JoelJoel posted:

Young Ricky knows how to party.

Also: get a vasectomy, eat whatever you want*, and sleep in every weekend.

*Positive results not guaranteed beyond the age of 30

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Okra-hole-naw! Where the wind comes sweeping out

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably. Forcing someone to consume something against their will isn’t actually an effective way of getting them to enjoy it.

My wife's parents tried to put her on a diet but to them that meant only eating cantalopes which is like the only fruit she doesn't like. It didn't make her like. They also forced her to eat whatever that dad wanted for dinner and he wanted stuffed bellpeppers a lot - guess what she loving hates those.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

1992 rear end stock photo

Copyright 1992? Hmm. Bad parents or not, that child must be long dead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A lot of a child's food preferences can be developed from infancy. A friend of mine is a professional chef and fed his son adult food (still easy for a baby to eat) like black beans and stuff with seasoning instead of just apple sauce and baby goop. At the age of 1 he now loving loves limes, chili powder, all sorts of poo poo. He'll eat just about anything put in front of him. Kid eats better than most of us.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

there's something slightly unnerving about permeable concrete

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Toddlers are amazingly strong willed, you don't take them head-on if they're refusing to do something that requires their cooperation. They will refuse to do stuff to their own detriment in the extreme. They will starve themselves if they don't like the foods on offer. They will make themselves vomit if you force them to eat something. They will go out naked in sub-zero temperatures if they don't like the clothes you've got for them. They will scream until they vomit if you leave them somewhere they don't want to be. If you try to force potty training they will refuse to take a poo poo to the point that they get hospitalised for constipation. They would probably die of dehydration before drinking from a vessel they've deemed unacceptable.

You obviously find ways around these, I'm not saying this means you just let toddlers do whatever the gently caress they want. Just saying that non-parents need to realise what loving psychopaths parents are dealing with, it's never as simple as "you're an adult literally just tell them what to do".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Such varied food as a black bean!

Kids have way better sense of taste. They like "bland" food because it doesnt taste bland to them. Feed them all the veggies though to get them a taste for that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JoelJoel posted:

What's the irony?

E

They're such majestic animals

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My parents tricked me a couple of times by feeding me simple stuff they knew I liked while withholding the good stuff saying "you wouldn't like it, you're too young" while talking about how loving good everything was all the time. So eventually I decided I was a big kid and deserved the good food and was not disappointed at all to find out how delicious artichoke hearts and spicy food and all kinds of other stuff was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Non-Americans have way better sense of taste. They like "bland" food because it doesnt taste bland to them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

there's something slightly unnerving about permeable concrete

now im imagining a very large sinkhole being created underneath

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're called Un-Americans.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

bike tory posted:

Toddlers are amazingly strong willed, you don't take them head-on if they're refusing to do something that requires their cooperation. They will refuse to do stuff to their own detriment in the extreme. They will starve themselves if they don't like the foods on offer. They will make themselves vomit if you force them to eat something. They will go out naked in sub-zero temperatures if they don't like the clothes you've got for them. They will scream until they vomit if you leave them somewhere they don't want to be. If you try to force potty training they will refuse to take a poo poo to the point that they get hospitalised for constipation. They would probably die of dehydration before drinking from a vessel they've deemed unacceptable.

You obviously find ways around these, I'm not saying this means you just let toddlers do whatever the gently caress they want. Just saying that non-parents need to realise what loving psychopaths parents are dealing with, it's never as simple as "you're an adult literally just tell them what to do".

This. My advice to new parents is to just extend the period before they get a taste of the typical American engineered salt/fat hyperfood as long as possible. If you think of tasty addictiveness as a scale of one to ten, with Cheetos at 10 and an apple at 4, a kid will be perfectly happy with a 4 until they've had a 10. Then they want nothing but 10.

A perfect example of this is that my kid used to love just chowing on plain strawberries, until my loving mother-in-law gave him strawberries dipped in powdered sugar. Now guess what, he doesn't want plain strawberries anymore.

The only thing I've done right with my kid and food is portion size. I give him tiny portions and I never encourage him to empty his plate, in fact the opposite. So at least he's not fat because he eats like a bird. The portions people give kids are insane. Their stomach is the size of their little fist!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dumb Americans:jerkbag:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
You know Americans consist of more people than just white mayonnaise people right? Like, people with Italian heritage, Nigerian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Cuban, El Salvadorian, Greek, Pakistani, Chinese, etc. And these people eat a wide variety of food with spices and amazing flavors.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Instructions were unclear and now I'm feeding my baby frosting from a can

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kids are also really sensitive to colour and texture, it's not just about flavour. My kid will even refuse to eat green sweets, and he loves the taste of marshmallows but the texture makes him vomit so he can't have them.

Imagined posted:

The only thing I've done right with my kid and food is portion size. I give him tiny portions and I never encourage him to empty his plate, in fact the opposite. So at least he's not fat because he eats like a bird. The portions people give kids are insane. Their stomach is the size of their little fist!

Yeah my parents are pretty good but the only thing my mother does that annoys me is push my kid hard to finish all the food. People naturally have quite good hungry/satiety signals and I feel like culturally we teach kids to ignore them. So many schools will force kids to sit and eat everything in their lunch box before they're allowed to go and play, for example. Kids are taught that you eat certain portion sizes at the same time every day, rather than eat when you're hungry and only as much as you actually need to eat.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Jul 18, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

if your kid knows what a chicken nugget is before going to school, you've already failed as a parent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bike tory posted:

Kids are also really sensitive to colour and texture, it's not just about flavour. My kid will even refuse to eat green sweets, and he loves the taste of marshmallows but the texture makes him vomit so he can't have them.

Yeah my parents are pretty good but the only thing my mother does that annoys me is push my kid hard to finish all the food. People naturally have quite good hungry/satiety signals and I feel like culturally we teach kids to ignore them. So many schools will force kids to sit and eat everything in their lunch box before they're allowed to go and play, for example. Kids are taught that you eat certain portion sizes at the same time every day, rather than eat when you're hungry and only as much as you actually need to eat.

The lunch box one I kind of get, though. Assuming the parent gives them the right amount of food I'm sure they'd like their kid to eat the lunch and not just throw it all away except for the dessert and go play.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Imagined posted:

A perfect example of this is that my kid used to love just chowing on plain strawberries, until my loving mother-in-law gave him strawberries dipped in powdered sugar. Now guess what, he doesn't want plain strawberries anymore.

strawberries are already sweet and amazing on their own, why would you cover them in sugar :psyduck:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Talk about your dumb loving kids somewhere else

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Maestro posted:

Tall about your dumb loving kids somewhere else

Short up.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Imagine having your own loving cubicle instead of an open plan flexi- space

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gey muckle mowser posted:

strawberries are already sweet and amazing on their own, why would you cover them in sugar :psyduck:

Sometimes you get really bland ones.

One of the biggest growers and distributors in Cali is in my home town and it's pretty much a coin toss on them tasting normal or slightly sour and mostly flavorless despite being fully ripe.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lobok posted:

The lunch box one I kind of get, though. Assuming the parent gives them the right amount of food I'm sure they'd like their kid to eat the lunch and not just throw it all away except for the dessert and go play.

But there's no "right amount" for kids because they go through rapid growth spurts basically at random and do such wildly different amounts of exercise on different days. Like one day a kid will spend the whole 30 minutes of morning recess sprinting or climbing or some poo poo, then the next day they'll spend it sitting in the sand pit or in the library or some poo poo. That's going to have a big impact on their appetite. There's definitely an issue with kids wanting to get out and play so they'll just stuff something into their mouth and leave the rest uneaten, but that's because they're only given like 15 minutes each school day to eat, and only right before they go out to recess.

Ive worked at one school that didn't have these stupid draconian policies around eating and unsurprisingly the issue of kids not eating much of their food went away. Schools just need to let kids eat in class, or give them plenty of opportunities during the day to eat. It's not hard.

The Maestro posted:

Talk about your dumb loving kids somewhere else

You've only ever posted one image in this thread.
Either post you are favourite funny pictures or stop complaining and talk about my dumb loving kid.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jul 18, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

slinkimalinki posted:

Imagine having your own loving cubicle instead of an open plan flexi- space

mine is in the corner and the only thing on the open side are ceiling to floor windows.

There are worse mouse traps.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

mine is in the corner and the only thing on the open side are ceiling to floor windows.

Yeah that unironically sounds awesome

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like to put my fruit in sugar, for it is not sweet enough for me
- actual human beings

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm really bummed about the arson at Kyoto Animation, and tired of food chat, so here's one of the funniest things they made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

kiimo posted:

Me and one other guy started at the same time and they tried to put both of us in the middle of the row, and we both demanded (and got) the empty corner cubicles before they could even start setting us up. Best job decision I've ever made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I'm really bummed about the arson at Kyoto Animation, and tired of food chat, so here's one of the funniest things they made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

Do you have the one where the girl keeps doing wrestling moves on people who see her erotic fanart

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zoux posted:

Do you have the one where the girl keeps doing wrestling moves on people who see her erotic fanart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30Y572EmCk

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

zoux posted:

Parents: when was the last time you slept past 7 am

Today!

My kid is 19 and moved out in May. :toot:

I assume that anyone who says "lol, just MAKE your kids eat other food" is also the kind of dumb rear end in a top hat who deliberately provokes people's phobias because they heard about "exposure therapy" one time.

https://i.imgur.com/Ve0LmuH.mp4

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bike tory posted:

But there's no "right amount" for kids because they go through rapid growth spurts basically at random and do such wildly different amounts of exercise on different days. Like one day a kid will spend the whole 30 minutes of morning recess sprinting or climbing or some poo poo, then the next day they'll spend it sitting in the sand pit or in the library or some poo poo. That's going to have a big impact on their appetite. There's definitely an issue with kids wanting to get out and play so they'll just stuff something into their mouth and leave the rest uneaten, but that's because they're only given like 15 minutes each school day to eat, and only right before they go out to recess.

Ive worked at one school that didn't have these stupid draconian policies around eating and unsurprisingly the issue of kids not eating much of their food went away. Schools just need to let kids eat in class, or give them plenty of opportunities during the day to eat. It's not hard.

You've only ever posted one image in this thread.
Either post you are favourite funny pictures or stop complaining and talk about my dumb loving kid.

I’ve also never gone on a multi page derail. Thanks for the multiple paragraphs without a pic. Your kid sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Maestro posted:

I’ve also never gone on a multi page derail. Thanks for the multiple paragraphs without a pic. Your kid sucks

Thanks for talking about my kid. That's a gif, the gif thread is here, please post funny pictures.