Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't even trying to be controversial, I've never met anybody who cares about certifications. I could see it being useful as a freelancer if you need to convince laymen, or if you're starting off and don't have anything on your resume yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CEH is not worth that lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

IIRC some government jobs want you to have CEH

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xtal posted:

I wasn't even trying to be controversial, I've never met anybody who cares about certifications. I could see it being useful as a freelancer if you need to convince laymen, or if you're starting off and don't have anything on your resume yet.

If only it mattered who you have met. It’s not the end all be all or even super important, but to say it doesn’t matter is naive.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

xtal posted:

LoL, being in the consulting business you would be surprised how much it 'matters'.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lots of places won't even look at your resume without cissp. It's stupid gatekeeping, but that's the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have multiple customers who very much want there to be someone at my company with a CISSP or equivalent certification as part of their MSA process. We don't have one yet, so it has been a huge pain in the rear end. (He's starting in a month, though, and then hopefully I will never have to discuss the matter of certifications again.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xtal posted:

As for professional worth, I'd say certs in general don't matter. Most certs don't demonstrate mastery. However, cert requirements are usually added as a gatekeeper to weed out resumes by HR (similar to requiring a BS/equivalent experience). If it's not there on your resume it will never be seen by the hiring group.

Now if you have a good industry-wide reputation and a corpus to demonstrate (public white papers, industry presentations, etc...) you can probably not bother. But then again, if you're at that point you're likely being actively recruited as opposed to submitting for job openings.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just hope we can all agree not to be That Guy who's collecting every certification under the sun, as if they're boy scout merit badges and more==better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My goal is to have alphabet soup stretching off into infinity in my email sig.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Powered Descent posted:

as if they're boy scout merit badges

Is that not basically what they are?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xtal posted:

Fair enough. Sometimes it doesn't matter. It's often a pretty effective differentiator when you have 50 resumes to sift through. You can absolutely be gatekept out of positions you want by a lack of related certifications, especially anything in consulting or contractor gigs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

It's often a pretty effective differentiator when you have 50 resumes to sift through.

Effective at differentiating between what sorts of candidates? I can see that it’s easy, but it doesn’t seem like it would be effective at identifying the candidates you actually want to look at.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Subjunctive posted:

Effective at differentiating between what sorts of candidates? I can see that it’s easy, but it doesn’t seem like it would be effective at identifying the candidates you actually want to look at.

"This one has a demonstrated ability to write checks to Microsoft, Cisco, AND Amazon. Very impressive."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"This one, at some point, had enough money and free time to do a cert, or was able to convince a previous employer to pay for it".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

certs, like degrees, are part HR crutch, part stratified class indicator

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that said, there's a place for encouraging use of standardized practice and terminology. Lawyers take the bar exam to reduce the number of grossly-negligent actors in law practice; engineers test for their little blue stamp that makes it likelier that their buildings won't tip over. Until there's some kind of regulatory standard of certification for non-poo poo, learned security personnel with decent credentials widely accepted by the public trust, idk if we can disregard certs altogether.

IT in the public sector is a vulnerable shitshow despite many technical middle management positions requiring specific classes of private certifications, but imagine a world where governments couldn't even stipulate that level of pseudo-competence.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The difference between IT people and any other field that deals with critical infrastructure is that there is no such thing as liability in IT.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D. Ebdrup posted:

The difference between IT people and any other field that deals with critical infrastructure is that there is no such thing as liability in IT.

Criminal liability, not thusfar. Financial liability? The EU has been giving me hope this week.

Lack of enforcement and liability is one issue in infosec, but I see the lack of guarantees of competence in critical positions as another issue contributing to wilfully-incompetent or inadequate security practice. A CISSP isn't qualified to lead an organization's security program in the same sense that a structural engineer is qualified to lead a team of people.

Heck, the structural engineer has a pretty decent body of regulatory agencies they're responsible for maintaining credentials with and reporting severe practice issues to. A whistleblower in an engineering firm has a much better shot of getting another job than an internal whistleblower in infosec.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 18, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We anglosphere residents have been collectively driven frothing mad about any kind of regulation whatsoever, and it's going to take a few severe Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fires to give the public a chance of seeing why market forces alone are not adequate for creating industrial practices that are compatible with the values of a healthy society.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SANS courses and certs are difficult and good and not a paper tiger thing :shrug:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah but

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would argue that there should be rigid certification for writing life-critical software. (yes, yes, even an error in c libraries can be life-critical, bite me.) The point is, somebody who designs the screw used in steel construction isn't expected to be certified as an engineer AFAIK. The person who designs the bridge? Boy, howdy.

If you're writing the THERAC-25 code, you should have certification -- not just enforced by a test -- in writing life-critical code. If you're a full-stack engineer writing Web code? Go on your merry way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wtf is wrong with your phone

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would argue that there should be rigid certification for writing life-critical software. (yes, yes, even an error in c libraries can be life-critical, bite me.) The point is, somebody who designs the screw used in steel construction isn't expected to be certified as an engineer AFAIK. The person who designs the bridge? Boy, howdy.

If you're writing the THERAC-25 code, you should have certification -- not just enforced by a test -- in writing life-critical code. If you're a full-stack engineer writing Web code? Go on your merry way.
I was talking about very basic things like the electrician who installs the circuitry in a hospital - even if he himself isn't certified, his boss is and he is very aware of that responsibility because he won't only ruin his life, he'll ruin that of all of his employers as well, in addition to all the people who may have their life ruined by the damage if it goes wrong.
There is no equivalent in IT, and few of the people who write critical infrastructure code have even the slightest clue that their work impacts real lives. You need look no further to see this than the "Move Fast Break poo poo" motto that still infects the brains of Silicon Valley, and as a result most every other place that prays at the alter of technological progress above all else.
Maybe that full-stack web-developer doesn't need certification, but our industry needs to agree which situations do need it.

When I was receiving chemo, it didn't do me any favours to know that despite the software for the pump being written in Ada (a language made to write code for ballistic missiles, aircraft systems, and similarly critical code), there are no guarantees for it being free of errors because there was no proof the code had even been audited.
Lying in an intensity-modulation radiation therapy device as I have, knowing about THERAC-25, doesn't do you any favours either. Especially not when you hear the clunk in the wall as the relay switches on and you're about to receive enough radiation that, if you were to get it in your entire body, you'd be dead in 24 hours.
In both instances you really want to know that someone has essentially put their life on the line to write proper code.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 18, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

D. Ebdrup posted:

There is no equivalent in IT, and few of the people who write critical infrastructure code have even the slightest clue that their work impacts real lives.

I have never forgotten the day I was sitting in an OS meeting at Apollo Computer. This would have been in the '80s.

Developer: You know how we say "this isn't brain surgery"? I just talked to a customer who was using our OS to build software used in brain surgery.

Entire audience: Reels in horror.

Developer: And they're on the [notoriously buggy] previous release.

Entire audience: faints.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Extensions.

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1151826712998682624?s=21

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

On the one hand, it makes me more paranoid about using uBlock. But then I remember how many infections are the result of malicious ads.

They're never going to solve this poo poo until they actually have strong regulations and imprison people who violate them. So...never.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

On the one hand, it makes me more paranoid about using uBlock. But then I remember how many infections are the result of malicious ads.

Ublock Origin has source available, which as far as I can tell none of the extensions in the article did. (It's a bit hard to be sure since several of them have been scrubbed already. I did see that Hover Zoom has been known to be doing this poo poo for 5 years now. (Though maybe that was a different hover zoom since people in that 5 year old reddit thread are saying the extension got taken down. Or google just has a very lenient policy towards "analytics gathering", and you get multiple chances to make it less obvious.)

After seeing that article I did go look at all my addons to see which ones didn't publish source. Only two did not, and one of those is by a japanese guy so maybe I'm just not seeing it through translate.

quote:

They're never going to solve this poo poo

Hey, didn't you see google's official response in that article? They're going to solve the problem of spyware addons by making ad-blocking suck!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Hey, didn't you see google's official response in that article? They're going to solve the problem of spyware addons by making ad-blocking suck!
Having a company that makes the lions share of its profit by being an ad-provider control of the browser market seem very much like letting kids run a candy store.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wait, you can't view the source of Chrome extensions?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf is wrong with your phone

...huh.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

After seeing that article I did go look at all my addons to see which ones didn't publish source. Only two did not, and one of those is by a japanese guy so maybe I'm just not seeing it through translate.

Pretty sure this is the npm problem, though, where what you publish on github and upload to your browser's addons repository don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

At least Mozilla and Google ban addons with obfuscated and minified code, so you could, in theory, check if what gets installed into your browser matches what is in github.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

duz posted:

Wait, you can't view the source of Chrome extensions?

You can see the source inside easily, the extension packages open with 7zip and it's javascript inside. For me the source being published (especially with an OS license) is more about a quick judgement than anything else. I don't have the expertise myself to be sure that a complex extension isn't malicious. But source being easily visible decreases the chances that someone is trying to get away with something.

It's not 100% reliable -- see the Stylish extension getting sold to some "analytics" outfit and doing the exact same tracking of complete URLs for every site the users visited. They did that while still being open source, but with an excuse they were finding styles for visited sites. Which again was a thing that regular nerds had noticed and complained about for more than a year before a credentialed security guy blogged about it, followed by mainstream reporting, and then Google & Mozilla killed it.

Nalin posted:

Pretty sure this is the npm problem, though, where what you publish on github and upload to your browser's addons repository don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

At some point you have to rely on other people unless you write everything yourself. For me browsing with zero extensions would be worse than the very small possibility of one of these extensions turning really malicious -- like stealing logins rather than just tracking.

OTOH it's easy to have multiple browsers installed now and keep one extension-free.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apparently Windows 7 pro doesn't have bitlocker, is there anything free I should use? Can I still do the free upgrade or did Microsoft finally get serious about the no more free Windows 10 thing? I barely used this laptop for years and never even think about the fact that I've got a Windows 7 machine, which I probably should start thinking about considering it's EOL in 2020.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can I still do the free upgrade or did Microsoft finally get serious about the no more free Windows 10 thing?

Yes you can still install win10 with a win7 key, using the media creation tool.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What do y'all do about browser extensions in your organizations? Are they an attack vector and if so are you blocking/locking down your browsers? We push a Chrome config down with G Suite with our own company Bookmarks and extensions for our software but we allow users to install their own extensions and log in to Chrome with their personal gmail. Plus they can Firefox too. I'm seeing chatter than browser extensions can basically be turned into keyloggers and poo poo?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Browser extensions have privileges roughly equivalent to an application they install. You can definitely get hosed that way.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We use Chrome.... UBlock is installed by default, and another extension we use for Gmail attachments is whitelisted so it can be installed if needed. Outside of that users cannot install additional extensions. We also only allow sign-in to Chrome with our own domain and password syncing is disabled. We also push some managed bookmarks down. This is all done via GPO.

Chrome is the only browser allowed and indeed it is the only one installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

stevewm posted:

Chrome is the only browser allowed and indeed it is the only one installed.

The_devil_you_know.txt