Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfface posted:

Handyman Satou remains a top-tier Isekai for this. His cheat powers are "Received a modern-day college education" and "Owns a modern-day toolbox". The fantasy people are very impressed with reinforced steel wirecutters.

yeah this one is the one to read for stuff like that, plus the party dynamic is very fun and the other characters are good. it's also low on the trashy kind of fanservice.

just wish more was translated :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah this one is the one to read for stuff like that, plus the party dynamic is very fun and the other characters are good. it's also low on the trashy kind of fanservice.

just wish more was translated :(

I checked it out a while back and enjoyed it but wished the chapters were a bit longer and less one-off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

Handyman Satou remains a top-tier Isekai for this. His cheat powers are "Received a modern-day college education" and "Owns a modern-day toolbox". The fantasy people are very impressed with reinforced steel wirecutters.

This is exactly what I wanted. Leave the super human feats of taking down the demon lord to the enfeebled king with the average sword. Wish there were more chapters translated these are fun.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

large oblate cat posted:

After his execution he was isekai'd to defeat the demon lord but when the king gave him slave companions John Brown knew what to do with his cheats.

Would read anarchist power fantasy isekai

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World is a really fun and relaxed Isekai.

I dude wins the lottery and gets swamped by people begging for cash so he moves to an isolated house that has a passage that leads to another world. The big twist is he can move between his world and the other world at will. The MC is really nice and relaxed dude so he uses his money to buy supplies in his world in order to build up an impoverished village in the other world.

There's no slavery to speak of (the closest IIRC is a villager saying she'll be his slave if he helps her village but he immediately shoots that down and saves the place anyway and it's never spoke of again) and it's just a laid back story.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Theres a whole plethora of isekai manga/ln/wns, but is there an actual good list of the good isekai animes? I mean the isekai quartet ones are all generally considered good, what else is there in animated form?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ninjewtsu posted:

Theres a whole plethora of isekai manga/ln/wns, but is there an actual good list of the good isekai animes? I mean the isekai quartet ones are all generally considered good, what else is there in animated form?

Slime
Restaurant in Another World
...../Hack I guess?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

spider isekai updated, next update is a month away

This battle has gone on for so long that namek exploded already.

I'm tired of this stupid loving dragon.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, on one hand I did quite like dragon using its banked skill points to counter spider girl, but on the other I just don't give a poo poo about the dragon that's never had a single line of dialogue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Grimgar is flawed but mostly good. Log Horizon is flawed but mostly good, but in the exact opposite way to Grimgar.

That's for modern isekai, mind you. If you're willing to go for any 'transported into another world' story, there's a much larger library out there, from Escaflowne to Now and Then, Here and There.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

KittyEmpress posted:

If you just want to know how the fight ends, pick up volume 3 of the light novel and flip to page 326. It's easy to find, it's the page with the illustration on it. That will pick up right where the manga is at, and then that volume is over.

And then, as long as you've got your hands on the light novels, just go ahead and read them all. Start from volume 1, skip all the spider chapters, and read the other half of the plot that covers all the other students who reincarnated in that world.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Grimgar is flawed but mostly good. Log Horizon is flawed but mostly good, but in the exact opposite way to Grimgar.

That's for modern isekai, mind you. If you're willing to go for any 'transported into another world' story, there's a much larger library out there, from Escaflowne to Now and Then, Here and There.

I'd call Log Horizon season 1 "good" without qualifiers (not "great", unless you're into what it's doing as much as I was).

Season 2 has weird pacing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Inuyasha.

we're also getting a whole bunch of good series in the next two seasons!
and some middling and bad ones but you know take what you can get

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh, Drifters is also good, the anime for that is even better than the manga.

Akanesasu Shoujo totally counts and is extremely good (albeit with a weak first ep or two) and like nobody watched it rip.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Oh, Drifters is also good, the anime for that is even better than the manga.

Akanesasu Shoujo totally counts and is extremely good (albeit with a weak first ep or two) and like nobody watched it rip.

Drifters is let down by its spectacularly lousy comedy. Akanesasu is solid, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also pretty drat great soundtrack and OP/ED's.

♫ Hustle of the muscle, push my engine all the way. ♪ :rock:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Additionally, can we do two things pretty please with sugar and cinnamon on top?
  • Please use spoiler tags for stuff that doesn't have a wide release (manga adaptation, official releases, scanlations/fan translations, etc). Like talking about the latest Bakarina chapters without spoilers is fine, since it has both scanlations and an official release happening, but if you want to talk about the extremely specific isekai WN and its latest chapter but it's not getting translated or anything, just put that behind spoilers.
  • No lovely isekai, please. A lot of the isekai that feature slavery or some other godawful thing of that ilk has a very high possibility of being absolute garbage. Like, it's on the dadgum thread title, peeps.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I doubt anyone's gonna be all "NO WARK I WONT FOLLOW UR DUMB RULEZ" but theres a problem with that second request: it's subjective as hell. We're already in a thread about the absolute basest kind of LN/manga/anime (outside of perhaps pervy stuff) which are genres which are already widely reviled. If you want to play arbiter of which power fantasy is good enough to pass muster, or to let the OP do it, that's your right as a mod obviously. But it also means people are gonna have to guess your opinion when they bring stuff up and you can't really fault anyone for getting it wrong.

There are some ones that are so cringey that it's pretty obvious they dont count as "good" under any reasonable definition and that have been called out here such as shield hero and freakin cellphone isekai (which i actually enjoyed because I suck, lol), but outside of those most obvious of examples and those that have been specifically vetoed, what you're trying to institute is a guessing game more than a guideline.

I'd instead suggest we be more specific than "good isekais only plz" and just go ahead and veto ones you don't want discussed on a case by case basis as they come up so that there's no confusion as to what is allowed and what isn't.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 18, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think a blanket ban on works where the main character owns a slave, even briefly, might be a good idea. If anything, it’ll at least prevent derails where people try to adjudicate the work in question

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

This is exactly what I wanted. Leave the super human feats of taking down the demon lord to the enfeebled king with the average sword. Wish there were more chapters translated these are fun.
There's a josei (shojou?) time travel series I've been enjoying. It's about a girl who goes to an agricultural college getting zapped back to 1560s warring states era Japan and getting dragooned by Oda Nobunaga into being a village chief. She uses her modern farming knowledge to increase crop yields. That's it. The title is Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah drat, I hafta put some effort? :sigh: Just kidding. :cheeky:

I think that at the end of the day, this ain't rocket science. Like what you said: Some of it is pretty self-evident. It literally takes a minute to go "Hmm, maybe not talking about another novel with the MC being a 'kind slave keeper' as part of the premise could keep me out of getting a 6er/a meaner probe/etcetera?"

Like, I'm not going to be a ruthless Judge Dredd-style mod or anything of the sort. Just give it a quick thought. Usually that keeps you out of getting in trouble.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it is concerning that there would be a genuine issue with filtering out manga with sketchy, questionable, offensive, or just plain gross content but then again I have been reading this thread :|

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to use a modicum of good judgement and think about how a manga might be perceived by others. It is possible to separate "thing that is more or less objectively good" from "thing I read and enjoyed" where you can leave all the...say, slavery apologia isekai in the latter category and have the sense not to recommend them for general readers who might not be as desensitized from reading all of the worst garbage that gets translated.

Anyway...
I can't remember the title but there's a short gag manga one that has an ordinary guy with no special skills, who keeps getting transported to other worlds while he's in the middle of a bunch of random part-time jobs for like 5 minutes at a time. It's very silly and the guy is terminally dense but it's cute and funny, especially the reactions of the people he encounters. Maybe it has "freeter" in the title? I absolutely can't remember and apparently didn't think to tag it so it's not coming up in my list.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

it is concerning that there would be a genuine issue with filtering out manga with sketchy, questionable, offensive, or just plain gross content but then again I have been reading this thread :|

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to use a modicum of good judgement and think about how a manga might be perceived by others. It is possible to separate "thing that is more or less objectively good" from "thing I read and enjoyed" where you can leave all the...say, slavery apologia isekai in the latter category and have the sense not to recommend them for general readers who might not be as desensitized from reading all of the worst garbage that gets translated.
I think the problem is just making a blanket ban with no heed for context or implementation of story devices, that's a bad idea and too far reaching. Nobody has a problem with slavery when the story has a young catgirl cleaving Slave owners in half with her father, but should that story be banned from discussion as well just because it has slavery in it? I agree with Nathilus that it's just going to become a guessing game on which type of fantasy slavery is going to be palatable and to your point what stories qualify as "sketchy, questionable, offensive, or just plain gross" because not every story that has slaves in it is going to be Slave apologia, or use slaves as a romance/sexual interest for the main character. The kind of stuff I'm sure most people recognize as being pretty trashy writing.

Just play it case by case and use some common sense for the initial recommendation but we're here to talk about good stories and sometimes good stories still incorporate stuff you might not like.

quote:

Anyway...
I can't remember the title but there's a short gag manga one that has an ordinary guy with no special skills, who keeps getting transported to other worlds while he's in the middle of a bunch of random part-time jobs for like 5 minutes at a time. It's very silly and the guy is terminally dense but it's cute and funny, especially the reactions of the people he encounters. Maybe it has "freeter" in the title? I absolutely can't remember and apparently didn't think to tag it so it's not coming up in my list.
This is the one you're thinking of.
https://mangadex.org/title/36728/freeter-ga-jimini-isekai-teni-suru-manga
It's entertaining but in that newspaper comic strip kind of way. Nothing amazing but I'll read it when I see it updated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every story where the main character owns slaves is going to be slave apologia, yes. a sensitive, nuanced take on that scenario is never, ever going to be found in a friggin' isekai story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I decide whats banned or not, I'm the Censor and Judge Supreme.

Ask bees.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also maybe dumpster a lot of these cheat isekai that don't focus on them doing more than punching dragons? Like say, just women focused ones that don't stumble over the 'sexy costumes for reasons!' branch right into a custard pie.

So, just so I'm not just making empty stupid comments like usual:

Different World Hospitality Meals The plot of this one seems to be new world and you're just cooking meals for people.

I'm looking here, maybe one of these that I skipped looks interesting to someone else.
https://isekaicentral.com/index.php/category/femaleprotag/

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

This is the one you're thinking of.
https://mangadex.org/title/36728/freeter-ga-jimini-isekai-teni-suru-manga
It's entertaining but in that newspaper comic strip kind of way. Nothing amazing but I'll read it when I see it updated.

Thanks, I need to tag that so I can find it after I forget the title again, lol. Kinda same, it's not got a lot of depth but it's entertaining enough to read any time a new one pops up and I usually get a good chuckle out of it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

By the way, does anybody here know when the first episode of infinite dendrogram will be airing?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Galvanik posted:

There's a josei (shojou?) time travel series I've been enjoying. It's about a girl who goes to an agricultural college getting zapped back to 1560s warring states era Japan and getting dragooned by Oda Nobunaga into being a village chief. She uses her modern farming knowledge to increase crop yields. That's it. The title is Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga

This reminds me of the best pseudo-isekai josei manga, 7 Seeds (I figure if people are willing to include stuff like VRMMO stories, something like that should also count). I forget if the nature of the setting is a spoiler or not, so leaving it out just in case.

Everyone should read 7 Seeds. The art style can take some getting used to, and it takes a bit for it to get going (I'd read until the second group is introduced, at least), but it's super good and has an amazing cast. It has a very unique feeling to it, because it's far more character-focused than most sci-fi/fantasy manga, but also has more "broader plot" stuff than most josei/shoujo stuff.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I feel like the rule should be more like: if you bring up something and 3+ posters go “wow, yikes”, then just stop talking about it, don’t get defensive, and chalk it up to learning what people want to read ITT

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fellis posted:

I feel like the rule should be more like: if you bring up something and 3+ posters go “wow, yikes”, then just stop talking about it, don’t get defensive, and chalk it up to learning what people want to read ITT

wow, yikes

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I already know nobody wants to read my posts

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Fellis posted:

Thats a better and easier suggestion than the one I came up with, I like it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Fellis posted:

seriously, this, it's not that hard
somebody mentioned exterminator, a whole bunch of people mentioned that they were very uncomfortable with some aspects of it.

that should be enough right there to suggest that we should maybe change the topic of discussion to something else.

I can count the number of isekai on mangadex I DON'T read on my hands, but I know better than to discuss half the stuff there. just be aware that even though you like something doesn't mean it's not objectionable as gently caress. it's not like there aren't plenty of threads (in thread, manhua thread, fantasy manga thread, shield hero thread, etc) where you can discuss it already.

our mod is reasonable and easy to get in touch with, people aren't going to be banned for not remembering that chapter 2 of this 50 chapter series was problematic. at the worst you're going to get like what, 6 hours, a probation so short that have the people who get it don't even realize that they got one? 24 hours, a single day?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 19, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of the best pseudo-isekai josei manga, 7 Seeds

This sounds extremely good and totally counts yeah.

honestly if people want to post otome game series that don't even feature reincarnation I'm not going to stop anyone. as long as it's vaguely in the spirit of the genre I don't think anybody's going to mind. half the posts in this thread are "they didn't really even need to make this isekai" anyway.

just post fun series that probably won't get you yelled at for being weird about women or slavery

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World is a really fun and relaxed Isekai.

I dude wins the lottery and gets swamped by people begging for cash so he moves to an isolated house that has a passage that leads to another world. The big twist is he can move between his world and the other world at will. The MC is really nice and relaxed dude so he uses his money to buy supplies in his world in order to build up an impoverished village in the other world.

There's no slavery to speak of (the closest IIRC is a villager saying she'll be his slave if he helps her village but he immediately shoots that down and saves the place anyway and it's never spoke of again) and it's just a laid back story.

Despite not dealing with slavery directly, that series actually addresses the power dynamics of the setting in a more interesting way, at least. Like, everyone in the isekai world thinks he's a literal god, so they might as well be his slaves in that he could order them to do anything and they'd probably do it. There's a point where he casually invites a woman to his room (to give her shampoo he bought or whatever) and she just assumes that he's going to rape her and that she has no choice because he's a god and it all gets very dramatic.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 19, 2019

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

RareAcumen posted:

Different World Hospitality Meals The plot of this one seems to be new world and you're just cooking meals for people.

This one is really good. Also a wonderful food manga.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone else watch Restaurant to Another World? That was a chill and relaxing anime and it made me hungry every episode.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SpartanIvy posted:

Anyone else watch Restaurant to Another World? That was a chill and relaxing anime and it made me hungry every episode.

I liked it more than Isekai Nobu, but yeah the way they drew the food was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Are there any modern isekai manga already completed? I feel like every time I read a recommendation it ends just when it starts getting interesting.