Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The more I try to enjoy it the more the engine sounds in Assetto Corsa Competizione sound like sad trombones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Dangit, that's what I just recently paid for a G29 and I was thinking about starting iRacing again, so I check the thread and find that getting back into iRacing wasn't my first bad decision.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Racing Wheel (PS4) $200.02

So I had been thinking about getting a setup for awhile, saw that thrustmaster deal and impulse bought it. Now I figure I'll buy a stand, but is there anything else I should really think about for an initial setup? Any tips, advice, guidance or what not, would be helpful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Give yourself time. You will not be fast on the wheel right away, and it will take you a week or more to catch back up to the times you were setting on whatever device you were using before.

People just expect to be fast right away on wheels and that’s not how it works.

Also take some time to perfect your setup. Try to get yourself positioned realistically or as realistically as you can from the wheel on the screen. It helps you judge distance. Unless you’re jumping right into VR in which case :getin:

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Give yourself time. You will not be fast on the wheel right away, and it will take you a week or more to catch back up to the times you were setting on whatever device you were using before.

People just expect to be fast right away on wheels and that’s not how it works.

Also take some time to perfect your setup. Try to get yourself positioned realistically or as realistically as you can from the wheel on the screen. It helps you judge distance. Unless you’re jumping right into VR in which case :getin:

Thanks! Good to have a realistic expectation, cause yeah, I expected to be faster than I am with my controller.

I'm worried about positioning because I play games on my sofa, but I can get in pretty close and have a 55" curved TV, so that may work okay. I wish I had VR, that would be sweet. I'll have to just do the best I can to get myself positioned properly. Maybe just drive nothing but Lincoln Towncars so my sofa seems accurate...

Right now I just have dirt rally and forza 4, so I'll be looking to get a better sim in the near future. Maybe assetto corsa before the steam sale ends.

Anyways, pretty psyched to finally be giving this a shot. I hope I like it enough to spend tons of money on it!

Edit: should I get the ultimate edition of assetto corsa for $19 or just the base version for $7?

Jewce fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 8, 2019

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jewce posted:

So I had been thinking about getting a setup for awhile, saw that thrustmaster deal and impulse bought it. Now I figure I'll buy a stand, but is there anything else I should really think about for an initial setup? Any tips, advice, guidance or what not, would be helpful.

Forced cooling mode.
With the wheel powered up, simultaneously press the ST and Mode buttons for a few seconds, then let go. The LED will flash twice indicating that Forced Cooling Mode is active. Basically, it just keeps the internal fan running all the time when the wheelbase is powered up.

This may or may not help prevent the wheelbases internals from overheating, but it never hurts to have more cooling.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Jewce posted:

should I get the ultimate edition of assetto corsa for $19 or just the base version for $7?

Whether or not the tracks and cars in the DLC make it worth it to you may vary but in a vacuum I'd probably pay $12 for the Nordschleife on its own.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

If you mount it to a metal rig, make sure it's grounded. Since the power supply doesn't have an earth ground, even a little bit of exposure to static will murder the T300.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TremorX posted:

If you mount it to a metal rig, make sure it's grounded. Since the power supply doesn't have an earth ground, even a little bit of exposure to static will murder the T300.

Yah, this. Also unplug it when you’re not using it.

Mine is going on two years strong with no issues, but it’s a well known thing that the t300rs does not like static shocks to its guts.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone!

I'll be sure to turn on forced cooling. I did read that so appreciate the instructions on how to do it.

I'm just gonna get the deluxe assetto corsa cause it's only $12 and I already understand that's nothing for this hobby.

Pretty nervous about the metal rig thing. How do I ground it? I was planning on getting the gt omega stand which is definitely metal...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Cu...=gateway&sr=8-4

Find a screw on the metal stand you can put the spade connector on, plug the banana plug into a free ground on an outlet.

E: I am assuming american style outlet. not sure about options for other connectors. you can always get a spade/spade wire and just hit the screw on the outlet cover

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

GutBomb posted:

I’ve had so many wheels over the years and right now I’ve got a Thrustmaster TMX. It’s not the best wheel I’ve ever had but it’s adequate. The pedals suuuuuck though. It will be my first upgrade.

Speaking of, the G27 you sold me 5 years ago is dying. Right paddle double and triple shifts, and 6th on the shifter is gone. Already looking to buy a brand new G29, though.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 16, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I thought gutbomb was trustworthy.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Wales DLC came out for Dirt Rally 2.0 today... if anyone still plays it.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Qmass posted:

Wales DLC came out for Dirt Rally 2.0 today... if anyone still plays it.

"Not playing it yet" is the case for me and perhaps a lot of other Oculus users.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kilonum posted:

Speaking of, the G27 you sold me 5 years ago is dying. Right paddle double and triple shifts, and 6th on the shifter is gone. Already looking to buy a brand new G29, though.

Wow that was 5 years ago?

You could probably rescue both of those by disassembling and cleaning, maybe replacing a carbon pad or two. Unless it’s plastic that’s broken, then it might not be worth it to fix, but new carbon pads would be less than a dollar.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Borrowed a brand new unopened T500RS from work this week and man I've missed having a wheel for playing games. Wheel feels pretty drat solid in a bit of quick testing with it yesterday. Though I'm not digging the fact the paddles don't rotate with the wheel and while playing Dirt 2.0 yesterday I kept having to let go of the wheel mid-turn to downshift out of turns. Felt really weird and wrong.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Wales is the best !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISb05meYyuU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wales, in the rain, with RWD. :stonklol:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Wales, in the rain, with RWD. :stonklol:

Are we playing Clue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Project Cars 2 is 13 bucks for the next few hours on indiegala

https://www.indiegala.com/crackerjack

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How does PC2 compare to AC1? I've got quite a bit of time in Assetto Corsa but 13bux is hard to say no to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

How does PC2 compare to AC1? I've got quite a bit of time in Assetto Corsa but 13bux is hard to say no to

Its hard to compare them really. They're pretty similar but each does certain things slightly better here and there. You're also gonna get pretty different responses from different people.

PC2 better graphics maybe? AC1 better AI? Maybe ever so slightly better handling in AC1. But then more single-player stuff in PC2?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Project Cars 2 is 13 bucks for the next few hours on indiegala

https://www.indiegala.com/crackerjack

I was just lamenting how I missed this in the steam summer sale. Thanks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its hard to compare them really. They're pretty similar but each does certain things slightly better here and there. You're also gonna get pretty different responses from different people.

PC2 better graphics maybe? AC1 better AI? Maybe ever so slightly better handling in AC1. But then more single-player stuff in PC2?

I mostly use AC to do hot laps on grand prix tea dogs before watching the races so alot of those features are lost on me.

If the interface is better in PC2 I'll get it just for that, the AC interface feels like it's from the 90s.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I mostly use AC to do hot laps on grand prix tea dogs before watching the races so alot of those features are lost on me.

If the interface is better in PC2 I'll get it just for that, the AC interface feels like it's from the 90s.

Yeah I can't play AC because of the interface honestly, especially in VR its just like, unusable.

My biggest gripe with PCars 2's menu is one that I have with most racing games; they don't let you remap the "yes" and "no" menu buttons. And the defaults for my wheel suck. You can keybind eeeeeeverything else, there's like 4 pages of keybinds, but not the menu buttons.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I still play Dirt Rally 2 every couple of days. Wales is nice, even if its exactly the same layout as DR1. The improved lighting and weather effects makes a massive difference, especially coming in and out of the forest.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I think it's worth having P Cars 2 because it does stuff you can't get anywhere else on PC, day night / weather / dynamic track all in one place and done pretty well overall.
It's got issues but honestly it's still fun and can be excellent at times.
The main draw for AC for me is mods, 1960s F1 around historic Monaco, poo poo like that, but P Cars holds its own there too with historic Spa, Monza etc and an ok selection of older cars. I like it now more than I did when it was new, I've found out what itches it scratches I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked how the cars drove in PCars 1 better than AC. Something about AC felt really off. Like the cars had less traction for no reason.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

I liked how the cars drove in PCars 1 better than AC. Something about AC felt really off. Like the cars had less traction for no reason.

Some of the cars handle like poo poo, I downloaded the Jack Spade settings ages ago and that helped - This video is timely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8AKN1L9Bgg

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I can't play AC because of the interface honestly, especially in VR its just like, unusable.

I really don't get this. Can't you just have a mouse next to your racing setup? Sure, it's not great but I can be racing with a few clicks (and I only race in VR).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Steen71 posted:

I really don't get this. Can't you just have a mouse next to your racing setup? Sure, it's not great but I can be racing with a few clicks (and I only race in VR).

I have a mouse next to my wheel and it's perfect, I am a fan of AC's menu although I can understand why not everyone is. I like browsing for lobbies etc out of the headset and have never had any issues with it at all.
With the Rift S it's better browsing lists in the headset but I still like the downtime from having it on my head so I can grab a drink or whatever while I seek out races / change settings.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GhostDog posted:

Are we playing Clue?

My rally driving may need to get one...

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm new to non-arcadey racers with a wheel setup and about to start playing F1 2019. Any advice on which assists are worth leaving on while getting familiar with the game? Eventually I want to get going without any assists but I don't know if it's worth jumping in headfirst with no assists on and crashing until I figure it out or if it's better to gradually turn off assists as I go.

I've played around a bit with the assists and one of them is pretty severe with braking before the turns without any brake pedal input at all. It's weird but I get it being there to prevent people from barreling into a corner and going off the track constantly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

I'm new to non-arcadey racers with a wheel setup and about to start playing F1 2019. Any advice on which assists are worth leaving on while getting familiar with the game? Eventually I want to get going without any assists but I don't know if it's worth jumping in headfirst with no assists on and crashing until I figure it out or if it's better to gradually turn off assists as I go.

I've played around a bit with the assists and one of them is pretty severe with braking before the turns without any brake pedal input at all. It's weird but I get it being there to prevent people from barreling into a corner and going off the track constantly.

Definitely turn off braking assist, its too much of a crutch. Turn traction control as low or off if you can handle it. The way I do it is no assists, but if I gently caress up then I can rewind.

Also turn on the full racing line during practice and learn the track using it, but then turn it off for the race.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Team bearpope enduro are getting down, 9.5 hours left at spa sitting in 6th position

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I am having absolutely no success getting my wheel to work properly with the PC version of F1 2019. I have a Thrustmaster T300. It works correctly on other PC games like Forza Horizon 4 but in F1 I get no force feedback and the wheel doesn't return to center or have any resistance at all. In settings menus on the PC (not in game, but outside of the game through Control Panel) I can test the force feedback and it all works correctly. In fact, until I start up the game the wheel functions with resistance like it should in game.

I've tried uninstalling the wheel and reinstalling the drivers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've tried playing the game with the switch set to both ps3 as is recommended for PC and set to ps4 with neither working correctly. I've turned the force feedback options on and off in game but nothing has changed the functionality of the wheel at all. I've looked around online but I don't see anyone else having a problem with the game. Any advice? I don't know what else to try.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Do you have some other third party thing open, like irFFB or something? irFFB does exactly what you described to mine and F1 works fine when I close it. It doesn't seem to affect every game, but F1 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jolo posted:

I am having absolutely no success getting my wheel to work properly with the PC version of F1 2019. I have a Thrustmaster T300. It works correctly on other PC games like Forza Horizon 4 but in F1 I get no force feedback and the wheel doesn't return to center or have any resistance at all. In settings menus on the PC (not in game, but outside of the game through Control Panel) I can test the force feedback and it all works correctly. In fact, until I start up the game the wheel functions with resistance like it should in game.

I've tried uninstalling the wheel and reinstalling the drivers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've tried playing the game with the switch set to both ps3 as is recommended for PC and set to ps4 with neither working correctly. I've turned the force feedback options on and off in game but nothing has changed the functionality of the wheel at all. I've looked around online but I don't see anyone else having a problem with the game. Any advice? I don't know what else to try.

Did you open thrustmaster software and then open f1, after. I seem to remember some games didn't like to "initialize" the ffb. For iracing I usually had to fire up ETS first or I'd just have a wheel made of a big floppy donkey dick