Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

big piano energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

barbecue at the folks posted:

I cannot not notice the baby grand pianos now, lol

congrats, in seven days you will be subject to the endless sound of children practicing their scales

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm roughly familiar with the concept of refinishing pieces of furniture, but what if it's veneered? You can't really sand that down, right?

Go speak to the woodworking thread in DIY, there are ways of taking finish off without sanding the veneer off.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh god my dining table is at this stage. 80s veneer with some severe bare spots and starting to feel eternally sticky. I love it but it's a little too low for my husband's long legs. Gotta get rich before I replace this thingy ;_____;

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I'm roughly familiar with the concept of refinishing pieces of furniture, but what if it's veneered? You can't really sand that down, right?

God help me if you do anything to destroy that phenomenal example of Art Deco aesthetic I will hunt you down and attack you with a belt sander. Ruining antique furniture makes baby Jesus cry.

(seriously, I saw an absolutely beautiful Art Deco chest in an antique store not long ago and some moron had PAINTED it. Do not EVER do this.)

If you REALLY want/need to refinish it, best to do like others suggested and let a pro handle it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

But it's so easy to put some chalky, crackle paint over it and sell it as rustic chic

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

God help me if you do anything to destroy that phenomenal example of Art Deco aesthetic I will hunt you down and attack you with a belt sander. Ruining antique furniture makes baby Jesus cry.

(seriously, I saw an absolutely beautiful Art Deco chest in an antique store not long ago and some moron had PAINTED it. Do not EVER do this.)

If you REALLY want/need to refinish it, best to do like others suggested and let a pro handle it.

I haven't bought it (and haven't decided if I will). And I'd never paint it. All I'd do is try to refresh the finish, since as you can see on the front, it seems to have some real wear.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I haven't bought it (and haven't decided if I will). And I'd never paint it. All I'd do is try to refresh the finish, since as you can see on the front, it seems to have some real wear.
You miiiiiight be able to get by with a good cleaning and waxing, but it looks like the finish on the front is either worn away entirely or cracked/crazed. It probably needs to be stripped (chemically, you don't strip stuff by sanding it unless you're an idiot and like clogged sandpaper) and refinished, all of which are best done by a professional and it's gonna cost several hundred dollars, which is probably substantially more than it is worth.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You miiiiiight be able to get by with a good cleaning and waxing, but it looks like the finish on the front is either worn away entirely or cracked/crazed. It probably needs to be stripped (chemically, you don't strip stuff by sanding it unless you're an idiot and like clogged sandpaper) and refinished, all of which are best done by a professional and it's gonna cost several hundred dollars, which is probably substantially more than it is worth.

"Best done by a professional" is uncontested, but I wouldn't be browsing craigslist for cheap scores if I was in the market to spend several hundred dollars on refurbing

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you're lucky it's shellac finish, in which case it can be dissolved easily and the finish repaired with new shellac.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here's a toilet.

And a shower but yeah.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Post the fixture coward

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The important thing is you haven't cut a hole in your floor.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Youth Decay posted:

This is nightmarish.

i had a low key panic attack looking at this image and thinking "oh my god what if i needed to find a very specific thing and i knew it was in this room but had no idea which exact drawer it was in". you would legit need some kind of indexed filing system to make any use of that kind of room

the angle of this shot makes it look like that bench on the left is in a recess below the floor of the shower. i hope there's a drain in that area, or else it's just going to become a nice little swamp pit for mold and bugs

edit: i don't see a drain anywhere in that entire photo. is the stone some kind of super porous material that just absorbs all the excess water?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i had a low key panic attack looking at this image and thinking "oh my god what if i needed to find a very specific thing and i knew it was in this room but had no idea which exact drawer it was in". you would legit need some kind of indexed filing system to make any use of that kind of room

the angle of this shot makes it look like that bench on the left is in a recess below the floor of the shower. i hope there's a drain in that area, or else it's just going to become a nice little swamp pit for mold and bugs

edit: i don't see a drain anywhere in that entire photo. is the stone some kind of super porous material that just absorbs all the excess water?

Did they put it under the rock?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

SpartanIvy posted:

Post the fixture coward

Ill do it when it's installed but that's later

Azza Bamboo posted:

The important thing is you haven't cut a hole in your floor.

Actually there was a hole that was cut below the sub-board, that is why you see the replacement piece of wood there. It was determined that there was dry rot due to a previous plumbing leak, but was minor enough that reinforcement would be fine for structural stability.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Basically plumbing and framing suck to DIY so I didn't.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oh I thought that you'd just recently installed the pipe in the ground there for your shitter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azza Bamboo posted:

Did they put it under the rock?

It's under the baby grand piano.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rotten Cookies posted:

But it's so easy to put some chalky, crackle paint over it and sell it as rustic chic
Help I looked up crackle paint and now I can't stop vomiting

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm currently trying to find the best zillow pianos in florida, here's some things i found during my Quest

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

shell art bathroom is extremely dumb but it’s making me laugh so

e: check out that lil’ turtle towel
ee: tripping in that bathroom will remove at least half your skin

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope the people with the africa fetish bedroom featuring a tied back mosquito net get malaria.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My favorite is the Motorcycle Shrine, complete with access hatch to leave burnt offerings

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
HARLI MA

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The laundry room is neat right up until you start wondering if they hire to do someone to do their washing, and the message is "be thankful you have machines to do our bidding with, minion".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

The laundry room is neat right up until you start wondering if they hire to do someone to do their washing, and the message is "be thankful you have machines to do our bidding with, minion".

i looked at a thousand beach-palaces in the jacksonville area alone today, so it is extremely probable this is the case

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I dont have much of a reaction to clusters (eg lotus tit) but God that bathroom is making my soul curdle. It's so gross and rough looking, pretty much the opposite of a shark's skin. If I grazed it, my flesh would come away like an all natural organic gluten free cheese grater.

Also why does that mermaid lamp have an rear end? Fishes dont have asses. That doesn't even look like a nice rear end.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

luxury handset posted:

i'm currently trying to find the best zillow pianos in florida, here's some things i found during my Quest

This is just a few hundred skulls away from being badass.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I probably came across harsher than I meant to in my earlier post, so apologies. And good on you for appreciating the finish and just wanting to do a restoration (should you decide to buy it. If it were me, I’d probably do it depending on the price).

I was a history major with a concentration in historic preservation and restoration, and I have seen hideous things done to vintage furniture and historic buildings in the name of “modernizing” them. A little piece of me dies every time I see someone on Pinterest destroy a beautiful piece of antique furniture to make it “shabby chic” or whatever the hot design trend is at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I probably came across harsher than I meant to in my earlier post, so apologies. And good on you for appreciating the finish and just wanting to do a restoration (should you decide to buy it. If it were me, I’d probably do it depending on the price).

I was a history major with a concentration in historic preservation and restoration, and I have seen hideous things done to vintage furniture and historic buildings in the name of “modernizing” them. A little piece of me dies every time I see someone on Pinterest destroy a beautiful piece of antique furniture to make it “shabby chic” or whatever the hot design trend is at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Forty bucks for two pieces. Obviously a great price, it's just a question of whether anything 'more perfect' will float through. I've only been watching for a few days.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Forty bucks for two pieces. Obviously a great price, it's just a question of whether anything 'more perfect' will float through. I've only been watching for a few days.

gently caress!

Good luck cleaning them up. If you DIY, do what Kaiser said and use a quality stripper first, rather than sanding. I had a brainfart/flashback.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

:same:

value-brand cereal posted:

I dont have much of a reaction to clusters (eg lotus tit) but God that bathroom is making my soul curdle. It's so gross and rough looking, pretty much the opposite of a shark's skin. If I grazed it, my flesh would come away like an all natural organic gluten free cheese grater.

Also why does that mermaid lamp have an rear end? Fishes dont have asses. That doesn't even look like a nice rear end.

Look at this guy, doesn't know how to use the 3 million seashells

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to steal this lamp. Like, I probably wouldn't pay money for it, but I'd take it if it was up for grabs.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Bees on Wheat posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to steal this lamp. Like, I probably wouldn't pay money for it, but I'd take it if it was up for grabs.

Oh yeah that would go... somewhere in the house if I saw it on the curb.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OK, I laughed at this, imagining the evil priest screaming.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I found a really good mirror on the curb, but it's heavy as hell. I tried wiring it with stuff rated for 40lbs, but it snapped. Is there a guide for how to tie on heavy hanging wire, or should I take it to the picture frame place down the block?

Edit: Frame place will do it for 15 bucks and can't believe someone was throwing this 400 dollar mirror out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 19, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Azza Bamboo posted:

this is exactly the case lol

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

value-brand cereal posted:

everybody knows visible mermaid hooters class up a joint 100%, so if you double them up going nip-to-nip and show off some fishy rear end-cleavage too, that's like 10000% more classier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

I found a really good mirror on the curb, but it's heavy as hell. I tried wiring it with stuff rated for 40lbs, but it snapped. Is there a guide for how to tie on heavy hanging wire, or should I take it to the picture frame place down the block?

Edit: Frame place will do it for 15 bucks and can't believe someone was throwing this 400 dollar mirror out.

People throw out nice stuff all the time. My old roommate found what was probably a $5,000 rug on the side of the road and grabbed it. We figured it would have to have some giant stain or smell like cat piss, but nope. Guess someone was redecorating and couldn't be bothered to send it to a thrift store.