Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Limbaugh took a call from a Chinese immigrant who said he's voted republican his whole life, and thinks Trump's tweets were racist.

Limbaugh stumbles for a bit and takes a break. Comes back to say "that guy knows how dangerous China is, of course he doesn't want to get sent back" as his defense of the tweets.

I think the GOP are really having a hard time deciding where they want to land here.

I'm trying to parse Limbaugh's sentence here and I can't. Is he obliquely threatening the caller with deportation for calling Trump's tweets racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's implying the dude doesn't believe that poo poo and would rather lie than get sent back to China.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
He's saying the tweet isn't actually racist, people just say it is because it implicitly threatens all non-US-born citizens with deportation, which is entirely different because

e: also it implies you can tell who was born here by their skin color but hey let's ignore that

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2019

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm trying to parse Limbaugh's sentence here and I can't. Is he obliquely threatening the caller with deportation for calling Trump's tweets racist?

I think he's implying that people who immigrated from lovely countries are being oversensitive about the whole "go back where you came from!" thing, even though it's totally harmless.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yeah he's saying, "this guy is scared of people saying go back because he doesn't want to go back."

Failing to see that the implications of "be like us or else" as clearly racist.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

post the ben shapiro moob pic

tyvm

Not Shapiro but here is Trump

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I think the GOP are really having a hard time deciding where they want to land here.

Not really. They're doing what they always do.

Hemming and hawing, what abouting, genuflecting, rationalizing, whining, deflecting and claiming out of context. Throwing enough constant poo poo at any wall where it might stick and trotting out their endless roster of shameless apologists and shills to cloud the issue until the news cycle dies down. These people are 100% dug in and I honestly don't think there is a bottom.

The only thing they can't claim this time is their go to "fake news" since we all read what he said but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1151246203650215938?s=21

Because of course

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 17, 2019

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Limbaugh took a call from a Chinese immigrant who said he's voted republican his whole life, and thinks Trump's tweets were racist.

Limbaugh stumbles for a bit and takes a break. Comes back to say "that guy knows how dangerous China is, of course he doesn't want to get sent back" as his defense of the tweets.

I dunno, the GOP seems like they have a lot of practice minimizing Trump's racist statements. The only difference is whether or not a significant percentage of the country are buying their spin.

The media and Democrats, on the other hand, are having a harder time. Media sees "racism" as an inherently partisan judgement, and so basically never calls anything racist. Democratic leaders are trying, poorly, to split the difference by calling out racism without looking like they're calling out racism for fear they offend rich white Republicans in the suburbs.

Everyone powerful involved in media and politics is very happy to not talk about racism, and so this will probably go back to normal. Everyone knows Trump is racist, but it's the kind of harmless misguided racism privileged people see as unavoidable so let's not interrogate it too hard.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Strange Poon posted:

Ben Shapiro honestly looks like his body has contorted and compressed itself, he has this weird gamer posture that makes him look like he's skulking like Nosferatu. His face also looks like it wants to sneer, even when he's just being "normal". I hate to say someone's personality and beliefs have a drastic direct effect on the way they look, but when I see people like Shapiro it's hard to argue against it.
The shape of people's faces as they age is extremely related how they operate internally, it's a matter of facial muscles. If the only muscles you ever work are the ones for angry sneering, your face hardens in that manner. Muscle memory relaxes into the resting face of what is most commonly used, so people who smile constantly can smile without looking inhuman, unlike joyless chuds who just look temporarily confused as what they're supposed to do with their internal rage. Trump is the apotheosis of this, as his face vacillates between the binary states of his practiced, forced grin or his angry drooping scowl.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ZobarStyl posted:

The shape of people's faces as they age is extremely related how they operate internally, it's a matter of facial muscles. If the only muscles you ever work are the ones for angry sneering, your face hardens in that manner. Muscle memory relaxes into the resting face of what is most commonly used, so people who smile constantly can smile without looking inhuman, unlike joyless chuds who just look temporarily confused as what they're supposed to do with their internal rage. Trump is the apotheosis of this, as his face vacillates between the binary states of his practiced, forced grin or his angry drooping scowl.

What if all I do is cry 10 hours a day?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I can see why any pundit landing an interview with that bagel rear end in a top hat would be good for ratings, just for the point-and-laugh factor, but what's Hannity going to do with him? I admit I don't watch Hannity much but I've never known him to get anybody on his show that wasn't a liberal punching bag or some like-minded fascist propagandist to help further their cause. Was the guy who kicked his rear end in the bagel shop a Democrat or something? I'm tempted to tune in, but I'm not gonna give that gently caress Hannity any extra set of eyes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BiggerBoat posted:

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 18, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Bagel Boss Guy the short guy who yelled at women behind the counter? Jesus christ.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Is Bagel Boss Guy the short guy who yelled at women behind the counter? Jesus christ.

Yes. He is the Tiny Bagel Misogynist Guy who got knocked the gently caress out for being a raging lady-hating incel rear end in a top hat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

twistedmentat posted:

You’re not God, or my boss, or my dad!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

twistedmentat posted:

the bagel cuck

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm petty, but it will always be funny to me how much she hates her cousin.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah. If you hate yourself, you can watch this. His local station got an interview with him. It's exactly what you'd expect, and at one point he likens himself to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElqSnlHxbA

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

tek79 posted:

Yeah. If you hate yourself, you can watch this. His local station got an interview with him. It's exactly what you'd expect, and at one point he likens himself to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElqSnlHxbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DuxhGp2Dg

Complete with casual racism and him trying to profit off his newfound fame.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Lycus posted:

I'm petty, but it will always be funny to me how much she hates her cousin.

Mara Wilson is a really lovely person.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DuxhGp2Dg

Complete with casual racism and him trying to profit off his newfound fame.

Guy's so short he should be called Bagel Bite.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

:drat:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bagel Bitch

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm co-opting this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So the newest right wing conspiracy theory is that Ilhan Omar married her brother for immigration purposes and to cheat on her taxes.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the newest right wing conspiracy theory is that Ilhan Omar married her brother for immigration purposes and to cheat on her taxes.

That isn’t new, and the immediate question is: the statute they claim she took advantage of offers the same benefits to spouses or siblings, so what’s the reason for fraud?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

selec posted:

That isn’t new, and the immediate question is: the statute they claim she took advantage of offers the same benefits to spouses or siblings, so what’s the reason for fraud?

Because she's a SCARY SCARY MUSLIM and it's more racist birther poo poo all over again. Stop engaging them with reality like the actual law, fascists don't care.

She's not white, therefore not American. That's it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Because she's a SCARY SCARY MUSLIM and it's more racist birther poo poo all over again. Stop engaging them with reality like the actual law, fascists don't care.

Oh yeah, I meant it as “the question you should ask them” when they float this dumb claim. It’s obvious it’s just a way to try and leverage her SCARY FOREIGN MUSLIM status.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

this has been the line since she first rose to prominence with making GBS threads on elliott abrams.

selec posted:

i've done this and they just ignore you. it's really cool the president is saying it now!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

this has been the line since she first rose to prominence with making GBS threads on elliott abrams.

i've done this and they just ignore you. it's really cool the president is saying it now!

Yeah it never makes them question, but it feels good to dunk and call them inspector clouseu’s inbred cousin

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

bird food bathtub posted:

I continue to be surprised at how similar anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish rhetoric are.

Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jurgan posted:

I continue to be surprised at how similar anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish rhetoric are.

The through line is fascism.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Suddenly white people care about cultural appropriation.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Suddenly white people care about cultural appropriation.

:iceburn:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tarkus posted:

People make the assumption that Ben is an honest actor. I think Ben is actually a really smart guy but I think he is politically agnostic internally. He knows who will butter his bread at the end of the day if he shows those LIEberals who's boss with his quick talk and carnie antics. I say this because he is inconsistent from sentence to sentence and I think he knows better, he just speaks so fast that most people think he knows what he's talking about. Can't stand the guy.

Hard disagree. I think this is how he, like so many others, started but if you pretend to hold a position long enough you very quickly begin to believe it sincerely. This is the whole ‘there’s no such thing as ironic racism’ thing. They all tell themselves they’ll just pretend to be shitlords in order to cash a check but at the end of the day, what’s the difference?

Stare into the abyss and the abyss stares back into you and all that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i do understand thinking that it's all an act with these people. it's very hard to fathom people honestly believing the things they believe since they're so counter to not only any legitimate morality but also objective reality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

selec posted:

Oh yeah, I meant it as “the question you should ask them” when they float this dumb claim. It’s obvious it’s just a way to try and leverage her SCARY FOREIGN MUSLIM status.

"Is there any right-wing talking point you won't regurgitate?" is a good starting place.

Because they don't actually believe it, as noted above.

Their scam works around the assumption you'll take the defensive high road and engage their bad faith argument in good faith.

Redirecting the conversation to just why they do that is going to be much more challenging than they're used to and will hopefully discourage future attempts.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Is the irate news anchor some sort of right winger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Generally speaking you're best off not engaging with Fox spouting fascists at all. They want to argue with you because it furthers their real goal, spreading hate and bigotry. The argument they engage in is a bullshit cover they don't care about, and usually they even know it's wrong but enjoy doing it because it leaves behind what they really want; the emotional residue of their true message of hate.