Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raserys posted:

how else is the thread supposed to know they Hate Fates without being performative about it

They hated the school part to begin with. Three houses was poison from second 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like you're giving Nohr too much credit here by omission.

Nohr actually has some story to it with Garon and the description of people growing up there. It’s really dumb and seems to mostly exist to make Hoshido shine even more by comparison, but it’s something. Hoshido’s entire existence is “we are idealize feudal Japan” and nobody has any if anyone is even still alive in Valla. Compare to those, Nohr’s basic world building almost seems great.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 18, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just don't think there's much difference between the evil kingdom where it sucks to live and the good kingdom where it is great to live.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Geostomp posted:

Nohr actually has some story to it with Garon and the description of people growing up there. It’s really dumb and seems to mostly exist to make Hoshido shine even more by comparison, but it’s something. Hoshido’s entire existence is “we are idealize feudal Japan” and nobody has any if anyone is even still alive in Valla. Compare to those, Nohr’s basic world building almost seems great.

I remember some aspects to it like the castle made out a dragon's dead body and the underground marketplace, but overall those were some kinda shallow details that were overridden by the absolutely ridiculous plot(s).

If that reviewer was trying to compare the game's story to fates as like, a good thing, they did a really bad job of understanding their audience. Here's hoping they meant it in a "there's multiple perspectives" way than a "it's lazy and shallow" kind of way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what they probably meant was 'i like it'

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah that's just someone who liked Fates and also likes Three Houses. Nothing about the information we've gotten points to this game being anything like Fates.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're a normal person who played a video game once four years ago and thought the plot was decent, and then when asked about the sequel's plot they said it was like the previous game's because they haven't spent the last four years making a video game into the apotheosis of everything they hate in this world

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeah, actually;

Araxxor posted:

Well this turned my verdict from "wait and see" to "stay the gently caress away!"

In broadstrokes for a game that came out in the west, at least, three years ago that you probably played then, Fates didn't have a bad plot and it was comparatively fairly simple and straight forward, particularly if you compare it to Awakening in the same broadstroke. You have the Evil Empire is invading, the Emperor is possessed by demons go prove it and an evil background conspiracy is scheming to make countries fight. All three of these are probably[/b] the B-plot of a Final Fantasy game at the very least, the actual issue is the execution of it, not necessarily the plot itself.

Awakening, on the flip, [i]is
a bit weird as far as typical plots go; in the future the apocalypse happens so your kids come back in time to prevent the evil death cult from reaching it's goals and zombies keep showing up also the second act with Walhart rather indirectly follows this plot, go go. The comparison makes sense.

Ytlaya posted:

From my experience with Awakening/Fates, I'm finally gonna wise up this time and do Hard difficulty but without "units die permanently" on. Previously I did Normal difficulty with units dying permanently, and it totally sucked because my victory in stages was never in question, but I'd constantly have to restart them due to getting unlucky and having a unit get crit or something.

This has the same Mila's Turnwheel from Echoes, if you're familiar, so you can go back in tiiiiime a limited amount instead of outright resetting.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So the OP mentions this hidden bonus system, is there any indication of how you figure out where a character's hidden bonus is hiding?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stormgale posted:

So the OP mentions this hidden bonus system, is there any indication of how you figure out where a character's hidden bonus is hiding?

There's three stars next to their hidden talent on the tutoring screen. Each time you tutor them in that skill, one of the stars fills up. When you fill up all three, you get the hidden talent. Unsure at the moment if the three times have to be in a row or not.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just as a heads up, if the turnwheel system works like it did in previous games you can't use it if you get a game over screen.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

There's three stars next to their hidden talent on the tutoring screen. Each time you tutor them in that skill, one of the stars fills up. When you fill up all three, you get the hidden talent. Unsure at the moment if the three times have to be in a row or not.

That's great, I was worried i'd reach max decision paralysis about trying to hunt for all the special bonuses

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conquest/Fates sucks and is the only FE I've played I gave up on besides the nes remake.

Holding high hopes for Animal House tho and my platoon of Ikemen

No opinion on which house to join I know nothing about any of them lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

No opinion on which house to join I know nothing about any of them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgka2FOjpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfeIED_-VHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5doMgxxc0

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I plan on joining the Black Eagles so that I can marry the empress and begin a reign of terror

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Congratulations to Captain Fargus for making a kingdom, I guess them

The above is a powerful strategy though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 18, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My Seasons of Warfare order made it through :slick:

Really excited for the art book in particular

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

This is probably just special classes for the lords and Byleth + dancer, but still interesting that all classes haven't been shown.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there's probably some intentionality for having the token protegee character last name be Cordelia of all choices.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's just another King Lear reference in a house full of references to their imminent intrigue and fratricide King Lear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

there's probably some intentionality for having the token protegee character last name be Cordelia of all choices.

There's tons of references to previous games in the names of locations/families. Petra's country is named after Brigid from FE4, for another example.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
also the opening cutscene taking place on the Tailtean plains, perhaps

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

not a bot posted:

This is probably just special classes for the lords and Byleth + dancer, but still interesting that all classes haven't been shown.

My hope for a Griffon Rider class is back!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

People (because I've been seeing a LOT of random youtube channels mentioning this) really need to remember Cordelia's name in Japan was Tiamo. And while IS borrowing from the translated version isn't impossible, it's far more likely to just be a coincidence. Or, well...

golden bubble posted:

It's just another King Lear reference in a house full of references to their imminent intrigue and fratricide King Lear.

edit: Also, the official english version is apparently Ordelia instead.

double edit: Also be bloody careful of even informational english videos being released now if you care about spoilers. Just ran across one that seemed safe (it was mechanics chat from a somewhat notable channel), and then suddenly a shot with most of a character's post-timeskip artwork - it was cut off, but you could still see a decent amount of it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 18, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

How is it we can know all the classes but not the full list of romance options yet~

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

Just saw a vid from the guy from Easy Allies (former GameTrailersLive) who got a review copy discuss the game with his show co-hosts. To quote him:

quote:

This feels like a very, very grounded game. I think there was a lot of worry that with it being a school setting, that it would be more superficial, or kind of more fanservicy. That it would focus in like, gossip, relationships, things like that. And that's really not at all what it's like being in this monastery.

It is very much like. these people are at war. They're at school, so they can learn how to fight in this war. And it's a very scary thing that they're going to do. And in order to get through this education, to get through these battles, they have to really really focus. They have to understand who they are, why they're doing this. And there's a lot of world building around it. The game goes to great pains to explain like "this is what this region is. This is what this house is. This is their position in the world." And that's something I really like quite a bit about it.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
cool. very encouraging.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Torrannor posted:

Just saw a vid from the guy from Easy Allies (former GameTrailersLive) who got a review copy discuss the game with his show co-hosts. To quote him:

That is 100% what I was hoping for.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
https://twitter.com/LucienDodge/status/1151942485121200128

e: also this but this should surprise no one

https://twitter.com/SoCassandra/status/1151901060937609216

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

With regards to worldbuilding, it's only been mentioned in one article, but the library in the monastery has books you can actually read about the world, which I think is a first for the series in terms of 'a 'menu option' you can access to get more info on things.' I guess Fates had the forbidden lore sound test, lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't remember if this has been posted in this thread or just the megathread, but with 3H looming I figured I'd post a link to the goon FE discord. It's primarily a Heroes discord (that was how it started) but we talk about all things FE, and have a dedicated channel for Three Houses if that's all you care about.

https://discord.gg/szMUmDU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's some other VA confirms.

https://twitter.com/robbiedaymond/status/1151931170650673152

https://twitter.com/deva_marie/status/1151917518275129345

https://twitter.com/mpwhitten/status/1151935494197899264

https://twitter.com/bradvenable/status/1151943877483352064

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't remember if this has been posted in this thread or just the megathread, but with 3H looming I figured I'd post a link to the goon FE discord. It's primarily a Heroes discord (that was how it started) but we talk about all things FE, and have a dedicated channel for Three Houses if that's all you care about.

https://discord.gg/szMUmDU

The first thing I see is someone defending shadow dragons, gently caress that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that one tweet makes me hope kostas is recruitable, lol

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If no one in this game references Shanty Pete it’s a 0/10.

(Out of curiosity, does Shanty Pete exist in Japan or was it a thing made up for the localizations that they decided to keep bringing back?)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Torrannor posted:

I’m encouraged, but wary. I’ve been burned by gaming hosts enough to take their word with a pile of salt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Most people outside of this forum like persona 5 and fate, so listening to any normie's opinions might as well be a warning sign that it's bad

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/diamondsong/status/1151960326377619456

Ratana, the voice of Ishtar in Heroes, is implying that she's either Leonie or Hilda.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

https://twitter.com/diamondsong/status/1151960326377619456

Ratana, the voice of Ishtar in Heroes, is implying that she's either Leonie or Hilda.

As I recall, Ishtar was one of her first real roles, so good to see her springing off of that into a character in a full-sized game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/ShannonMckain/status/1151976251155836930

Ashe VA! He's a complete unknown.