Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

, but just sideways cartwheeling inside someone's closed guard isn't gonna work

Yeah that was what I was thinking about. Its like, that seems like such an easy thing to do that there must be a reason it doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Judo class can be loving exhausting, but it is also the class that I feel people neglect the most because of that reason. I almost love feeling the growth in Judo more than the growth I feel in Jiu Jitsu for some odd reason.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
God I wish we had a Judo class. We already have a once a week kickboxing class that precedes no gi; something similar for Judo would be high on my wish list.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

God I wish we had a Judo class. We already have a once a week kickboxing class that precedes no gi; something similar for Judo would be high on my wish list.

We kind of have two so I feel lucky: a proper Judo class, where Judo moves are learned, like yesterday ouchi gari setups and then newaza transition, and then a Judo for MMA that is not a official class, just one that one of the blackbelts runs.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there any chance of this actually working during a roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp72hlRCa78&t=1111s

Because it looks dope and I would love to try it

(18:31 if timestamp doesn't work)

I have had that move work for me, but only on judo players who close their guard tight then do nothing. It's definitely more of a gimmick move and I probably wouldn't try it during a serious roll. You do have to be a little careful not to put a weird strain on their back if they're clueless and try to hang on to the closed guard too long.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like it, but the downside is that it immediately follows bjj classes so I am sometimes gassed as gently caress before it even starts

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah that was what I was thinking about. Its like, that seems like such an easy thing to do that there must be a reason it doesn't work

My gut tells me that the move is bullshit but I’m struggling to come up with a clear explanation why. I think you’re relying on your opponent being an idiot. I guess he could just totally unhook his guard and you’ve immediately given him your back though there’s a bit of distance that he’ll have to cover to reach it. Second is he could just slightly loosen his locked guard, and then you’re spinning inside his closed guard which would leave you either side-on (you’re hosed) or with your back taken and hooks in (you’re hosed). Thirdly, if you got all the way to face-down, is that position even good for you? There’s nothing holding him in place except your bodyweight thinly applied to one area. A little bit of movement would dislodge the top guy if you were stuck there, and an even smaller bit of movement during the transition would make it fail. I think closed guard is this constant battle between the top and bottom player to get tiny advantages in grip and posture, and you’re giving up everything by diving on a move like that. Bottom guy is connected to you, and the instant you’re off-balance the bottom player will feel it and send you flying.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My gut tells me that the move is bullshit but I’m struggling to come up with a clear explanation why. I think you’re relying on your opponent being an idiot. I guess he could just totally unhook his guard and you’ve immediately given him your back though there’s a bit of distance that he’ll have to cover to reach it. Second is he could just slightly loosen his locked guard, and then you’re spinning inside his closed guard which would leave you either side-on (you’re hosed) or with your back taken and hooks in (you’re hosed). Thirdly, if you got all the way to face-down, is that position even good for you? There’s nothing holding him in place except your bodyweight thinly applied to one area. A little bit of movement would dislodge the top guy if you were stuck there, and an even smaller bit of movement during the transition would make it fail. I think closed guard is this constant battle between the top and bottom player to get tiny advantages in grip and posture, and you’re giving up everything by diving on a move like that. Bottom guy is connected to you, and the instant you’re off-balance the bottom player will feel it and send you flying.

If you're not controlling their hips/biceps/thigh/whatever they'll just sit up and hip bump you. Moves that only work against a totally passive guard aren't very useful

e: I'm thinking you could do something similar to create a scramble using a navy ride against a knee shield but I'd have to workshop and play with the idea a bit

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 18, 2019

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My gut tells me that the move is bullshit...

it does work, though like mechafunkzilla said it relies on a guard player who 1. closes his guard and lies on his back, not being active, and 2. doesn't realize what's happening and keeps his guard closed until it's too late (which occurs sooner than you'd think with this move.). Once you get past the 90-degree point the bottom guy kinda gets pinned in place by his own thigh, almost like a belly-down SLX. Once you've bellied them out it's pretty hard for them to get up immediately. You've got one or both their thighs off the ground, which makes it hard/impossible to get to their knees. All your weight is sitting directly on their pelvis, so unless they've got a ripping upper body they're not going to move until you do. It's pretty easy to just sort of spin out on top of their pelvis to get seatbelt control.

It's a gimmick move, but there's something there. Try it with a training partner sometime. Tell them to put you in close guard and just keep their ankles crossed. Do the first couple slowly so you don't injure their back.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

I throw a lot of "Nope" out there when people go for arm locks and kimura's on me.

I do this, and the blue belts and purple belts do it to me but also throw in some Korean which is roughly translated as "I don't like this XD" when I get a sweep on them etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you are drilling a lot of stuff that puts weight on your chest and diaphragm can you like just get bad at breathing for a bit?

I gassed out super early in rolling because I was having trouble breathing and I am wondering if it was the drills from earlier or if I am just not feeling it today

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are drilling a lot of stuff that puts weight on your chest and diaphragm can you like just get bad at breathing for a bit?

I gassed out super early in rolling because I was having trouble breathing and I am wondering if it was the drills from earlier or if I am just not feeling it today

Sure, you can fatigue your respiratory muscles. Breathing is largely passive but there are muscles that amplify it, especially during bouts of highly physical activity, like angry pajama hugging.

NC and Virginia are currently in the midst of a heat wave and my gym has no AC, so I'm only going to No-gi. The heat's worse for my cardio than anything else. I'm absolutely dying within a couple rounds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here in Mississippi, in this metal warehouse we call a gym, they could release talcum powder from a halon system and we'd still lose our grips in no gi.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I hated doing no gi because i would be so sweaty that I literally couldn't shrimp. We would shrimp in warm ups and I would leave a snail like trail in my lane on the mat.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Someone should do a series on Yagli Gűreş for no-gi

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Xand_Man posted:

Someone should do a series on Yagli Gűreş for no-gi

This WHOLE video is a goldmine of screen grabs. Jesus

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

omg chael crash posted:

I'm just happy BJJ has competition for gayest looking sport

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mongolian wrestling is up there too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

1:09 is just straight up dudes going berry hunting

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Got the first two taps of my BJJ life tonight. The first was a kimura, the second was some kind of triangle choke I guess? Hell if I know. It was against a guy that was just as new as me, but it felt good. Got some decent sweeps on some other people too.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My best bjj accomplishment this year is tuckering out a ~60 year old purple belt. Guy's a fuckin beast with no chill but using solid frames to decrease his stamina bar while mine builds up allowed me to use my 20 year age advantage and 50 lb fat advantage to gain a slight edge. What a sport.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

My best bjj accomplishment this year is tuckering out a ~60 year old purple belt. Guy's a fuckin beast with no chill but using solid frames to decrease his stamina bar while mine builds up allowed me to use my 20 year age advantage and 50 lb fat advantage to gain a slight edge. What a sport.

Heel hooking a black belt.

The saddle is a legit position.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Got the first two taps of my BJJ life tonight. The first was a kimura, the second was some kind of triangle choke I guess? Hell if I know. It was against a guy that was just as new as me, but it felt good. Got some decent sweeps on some other people too.

Nice dude, that poo poo feels good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't post too often here but wanted to post this. Had a tournament here in Korea today (my first one since i quit jiu jitsu back in 2011 and picked it up again in 2017) and did pretty well. I don't have video of my matches if anyone wants to wath a whitebelt match I can post them when I do.

It was a 5 person bracket but only 4 people showed up so I'm not sure why what happened happened. Keep track of the match count as my side of the bracket had the side that would've had the bye.

(These are from my vagueish memory)

1st match, guy goes for attempted takedown but ends up pulling guard/me pushing him onto the mat in half guard. I end up passing and getting side then worked into other positions He let me slide my arm under his head and eventually found an Ezekiel on him. He taps which was all done and over pretty quick (my corner guy who was an American said it was a really seemless transition for my skillset).

Second match same deal except the guy is a bit strong. He tried a knee trip takedown (forget its name but thats what my HS wrestlig coach called it). I ended up again in top and we scrambled a bit. I recall getting back but that may have been the first match. Anyway he traps me in half guard and again lets me slide my arm under his head. From here I worked another Ezekiel and he knows its coming but couldn't defend it and I get another tap. 2 matches down, both wins via submission.

Match 3 is the gold match (we only had 4 people total in the bracket because the 5th guy was part of our affiliates and didnt show up due to the rain). This guy was a lot more aggressive and in attempting a "double leg takedown" he high shoulder tackle that landed smack dab on my nose and busted it open on the inside. He gets takedown points and gets side control before the ref notices the blood. Break time due to the blood and I'm asked if I could continue. I say sure just need a lil bit to stop the bleeding. We restart from same position, I end up in his open guard and guy ends up kneeing the under part of my chin but not too hard while attempting to win position. I again can't recall the sequence but know I ended up in bottom side after an omoplata attempt and he gets the armbar/americana that is between his legs. So i lost the gold match.

Overall I think I did well since I hadn't done any competition stuff and overall my only real gameplan was "win....maybe Ezekiel chokes would be good since I like to go for those " still not sure why I had three matches to the eventual winner's 2 matches for the day but whatever. Wouldve been happy with gold but silver is nice as it helped me realize that I'm much better than I tend to think I am and I feel like I could've won gold had it not been for having my head rattled a bit (still feel a little off after I took a nap when I got home but not sire if its due to the match or the rain) in the final match but again, that's just what happens sometimes.

Shoutout to you guys because I definitely picked up stuff to try and practice sparring and drilling by reading the thread.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 20, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I tapped a black belt, which I mentioned to the thread. Yes he was going easy on me, but he went a bit too easy on me and certainly did not want to tap. He's also not that great a black belt (the browns at our school are better than him) but as a blue its still by biggest accomplishment even with those caveats.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The disrespect

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I don't post too often here but wanted to post this. Had a tournament here in Korea today (my first one since i quit jiu jitsu back in 2011 and picked it up again in 2017) and did pretty well. I don't have video of my matches if anyone wants to wath a whitebelt match I can post them when I do.

It was a 5 person bracket but only 4 people showed up so I'm not sure why what happened happened. Keep track of the match count as my side of the bracket had the side that would've had the bye.

(These are from my vagueish memory)

1st match, guy goes for attempted takedown but ends up pulling guard/me pushing him onto the mat in half guard. I end up passing and getting side then worked into other positions He let me slide my arm under his head and eventually found an Ezekiel on him. He taps which was all done and over pretty quick (my corner guy who was an American said it was a really seemless transition for my skillset).

Second match same deal except the guy is a bit strong. He tried a knee trip takedown (forget its name but thats what my HS wrestlig coach called it). I ended up again in top and we scrambled a bit. I recall getting back but that may have been the first match. Anyway he traps me in half guard and again lets me slide my arm under his head. From here I worked another Ezekiel and he knows its coming but couldn't defend it and I get another tap. 2 matches down, both wins via submission.

Match 3 is the gold match (we only had 4 people total in the bracket because the 5th guy was part of our affiliates and didnt show up due to the rain). This guy was a lot more aggressive and in attempting a "double leg takedown" he high shoulder tackle that landed smack dab on my nose and busted it open on the inside. He gets takedown points and gets side control before the ref notices the blood. Break time due to the blood and I'm asked if I could continue. I say sure just need a lil bit to stop the bleeding. We restart from same position, I end up in his open guard and guy ends up kneeing the under part of my chin but not too hard while attempting to win position. I again can't recall the sequence but know I ended up in bottom side after an omoplata attempt and he gets the armbar/americana that is between his legs. So i lost the gold match.

Overall I think I did well since I hadn't done any competition stuff and overall my only real gameplan was "win....maybe Ezekiel chokes would be good since I like to go for those " still not sure why I had three matches to the eventual winner's 2 matches for the day but whatever. Wouldve been happy with gold but silver is nice as it helped me realize that I'm much better than I tend to think I am and I feel like I could've won gold had it not been for having my head rattled a bit (still feel a little off after I took a nap when I got home but not sire if its due to the match or the rain) in the final match but again, that's just what happens sometimes.

Shoutout to you guys because I definitely picked up stuff to try and practice sparring and drilling by reading the thread.

congrats

I am glad that my personal penchant to spam ezekiel chokes has real world viability

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone ever go to a Fight2Win event? A bunch of the guys at our school are competing next week in Philly and so we're buying some tables. Never been but it seems fun.

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

I had my first major injury this week and somehow managed to give myself boxers hand defending a pass. Not the injury I was expecting to happen I gotta say.

Also Fight2Win was a good time in Chicago. I wish they had gone a bit less loud with the music, but great matches.

Buddy_Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 21, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think it was this thread that introduced me to this video, but anyway. This sequence for Ezekiels has been a lot of fun to train for the past few months. Now I need to find a new thing to spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi89SQMRDOw

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone ever go to a Fight2Win event? A bunch of the guys at our school are competing next week in Philly and so we're buying some tables. Never been but it seems fun.

Yeah, they're great. LONG, but they keep everything moving. As soon as a match ends, walkouts start for the next guys. They're in Phoenix about twice a year, so I've been to a bunch of them. Get a table with a bunch of dudes from your school and spend all night watching grappling matches with them. It's fun.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had my extended family over the weekend and some people decided to question my jits skills. So we did some living room grappling and opinions changed rather quickly

:nono:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Had my extended family over the weekend and some people decided to question my jits skills. So we did some living room grappling and opinions changed rather quickly

:nono:

mother fucker details

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

mother fucker details

My sister in laws husband thought he could get out of my closed guard. I arm barred him.

Then I explained how hard it is even for someone big like me to get out of my sister in laws closed guard if she is pulling me in with her core and controlling my head (basic poo poo).

It was pretty fun and educational for my extended family.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My sister in laws husband thought he could get out of my closed guard. I arm barred him.

Then I explained how hard it is even for someone big like me to get out of my sister in laws closed guard if she is pulling me in with her core and controlling my head (basic poo poo).

It was pretty fun and educational for my extended family.

Did he have any experience grappling?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Rematched my coworker in sockem bopper mma. It went about the same as the first time, but he didn't want me doing wrestling takedowns and grabbing his legs, so I went along with it. First round he tried to run away after a clinch so I just tripped him as he ran and got to mount and he gave up after getting hit on the ears for ~15 seconds straight.

Second round I got an awkward head and arm throw because I couldn't use my hands with the stupid pillows on them to get a normal one. The 'ref' called it done before I could do much because my coworker was already just curling up trying to hide.

Total fight time ~50 seconds and he was gassed as gently caress and was flabbergasted that I usually do 3-5 8 minute rounds in a night. Apparently most of the office crowded the back windows and ive got some hilarious video of the 'fights' this time but they show the company name/logo in them so I will have to edit them heavily before I can put them publicly.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

When friends/coworkers challenge my ability I just say "yeah you'd probably kick my rear end," laugh, and move on. Fighting a person who hasn't trained but has something to prove on a carpet seems like a great way for someone to get injured.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

When friends/coworkers challenge my ability I just say "yeah you'd probably kick my rear end," laugh, and move on. Fighting a person who hasn't trained but has something to prove on a carpet seems like a great way for someone to get injured.

yeah

the other guy

*high fives my bros*

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I usually just jokingly say something like "man, I don't know what you're capable of."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I have a coworker who has hinted that he wants me to roll around with him a couple of times. He always caveats it with "I know you'd totally kick my rear end," to which I try to assure him I'm more likely to hurt myself than anything else. There's another guy who keeps asking me to show him some things, to which I just tell him he could find anything I can do done way better on youtube. I try to invite the people that ask me about it to our free introductory week, but no one takes me up on it.