Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’ll take Bo Horvat I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I almost took Forsberg with my last pick, he's great.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The salary cap can kiss my rear end, I'll fill my bottom six with two-way deals if I have to. With a belated Happy Birthday the Ducks select Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

up nxt

stab
weaponx
vote1

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Uhhh i might be the first guy to draft somebody whos taken already since im at work and cant check the spreadsheet

Cause im like really surprised if hes still available

John Carlson

Let me know if i need to repick thanks goons

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
you're good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

With the 83rd pick in the draft, the San Jose Sharks select Torey Krug

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Picking for VOTE1:

The Winnipeg Jets select Sam Reinhart.

i am the bird (5:43 PM EST)
El Gallinero Gros
Yaya
mentholmoose
Zodijackylite
Boomer the Cannon

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Only 28 picks until I go! Can't help but wonder who will still be around...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm definitely in "I have no idea how far the next guys I want might drop" territory

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was so hopeful one of Klingberg or Forsberg would fall because of their injury-shortened seasons but goons are pretty damned attentive hockey fans

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I basically only picked Boeser over Forsberg in the hopes that the former has more room to grow and because Forsberg plays LW more and I always end up picking LWs early and not having enough RWs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boeser's good but he's very much a complimentary player. His wrist shot is loving fantastic but his skating is not pretty or fast so he needs another guy (like Pettersson) who can lead a rush and dish it to him when he's trailing. If you look at his highlights like none of his goals are off the rush, he's always trailing or cycling. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I think if you put him with a lesser center you'd see his production drop accordingly

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Boeser's good but he's very much a complimentary player. His wrist shot is loving fantastic but his skating is not pretty or fast so he needs another guy (like Pettersson) who can lead a rush and dish it to him when he's trailing. If you look at his highlights like none of his goals are off the rush, he's always trailing or cycling. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I think if you put him with a lesser center you'd see his production drop accordingly

Boeser spent like half of his rookie season with Sam Gagner as his centre. The rest with noted not playmakers Bo Horvat and Thomas Vanek. You're right in that he's primarily a trailer, but so is like 90% of shoot first players out there.

He's a pretty good all round goal scorer imo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Boeser spent like half of his rookie season with Sam Gagner as his centre. The rest with noted not playmakers Bo Horvat and Thomas Vanek. You're right in that he's primarily a trailer, but so is like 90% of shoot first players out there.

He's a pretty good all round goal scorer imo.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting him down in the least and I fully believe he's a consistent 30 goal scorer and that's rare enough but just that compared to a guy like Forsberg I think he's got some obvious limitations

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit picks Logan Couture.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He's only been a pro for two full years, really. NCAA Brock Boeser was an absolute force, I think he could grow into that type of NHL player too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gonna take a slight risk here.

Calgary is pleased to select Goaltender Carter Hart

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna take a slight risk here.

Calgary is pleased to select Goaltender Carter Hart

Hrmm... I think just given how things are shaking out that you're going to want to have taken a center because I doubt Hart was on anyone's radar

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hrmm... I think just given how things are shaking out that you're going to want to have taken a center because I doubt Hart was on anyone's radar

The logic was that a lot of the cost control guys I wanted were gone and I wanted a goalie who was a starter and not expensive or poo poo. I'd be shocked if Hart doesn't play around 50-60 games next year.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The logic was that a lot of the cost control guys I wanted were gone and I wanted a goalie who was a starter and not expensive or poo poo. I'd be shocked if Hart doesn't play around 50-60 games next year.

Goalies are voodoo so :shrug:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
With the raddest pick in the draft, the Blackhawks select noted Old Man Alex Radulov

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I’ll take Zack Werenski and move the draft on.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
Zodijackylite (until 9:34 PM EST)
Boomer the Cannon
Good Soldier Svejk
ThinkTank
Thufir (x2)

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

gonna #cancel the draft if you guys can't stop taking the players i want

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

I’ll take Zack Werenski and move the draft on.

You gently caress

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

heh

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I almost went with Werenski (among several others I considered) before taking OEL. They had pretty similar years last year from what I looked at so I went with experience and a contract vs youth and a pending RFA deal.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Washington Capitals select Thomas Chabot. In the quest for young talent that will continue to improve, it is hard to overlook a defenseman who produced, played big minutes, and looked good despite playing for the worst team in the league. He turned 22 at the end of January.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Werenski and Chabot are great picks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was confused why Chabot was still on the board. He did some good things on a baaaaad team
Even if he isn't Karlsson 2.0 he's still pretty goddamned good for what's left

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

gently caress I was deciding between Werenski and Chabot for my last pick, I was hoping I could get both.

Motherfucker.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The best way to avoid having people pick your players is to announce who you're going to take in advance, so that way everybody knows to not pick them.

Like, gee, I sure hope nobody picks Milan Lucic, as I'm eyeing him with my next pick...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

The best way to avoid having people pick your players is to announce who you're going to take in advance, so that way everybody knows to not pick them.

Like, gee, I sure hope nobody picks Milan Lucic, as I'm eyeing him with my next pick...

You're so lucky Boomer is holding me up right now and also my name is Jim Benning and can I trade my picks now for some of your round 12/13 picks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Best pick value

Round 1- Geno at 31
Round 2- Hall at 40
Round 3- Wheeler at 79

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
had Wheeler as the last remaining RW on my shortlist (for the moment). Age and cost kept me from taking him

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It was moreso age for me, but had he been around with my next pick, the guy has consecutive 91-pt seasons.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, age and cost is what had Teravainen and Forsberg ahead of him for me, but those two went before I could go so hey, I'll gladly take the dude who's been top 15 in points the past 4 seasons.

Next up:
Boomer the Cannon (until 10:31 AM EST)
Good Soldier Svejk
ThinkTank
Thufir (x2)
ThinkTank

Kilza fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 19, 2019

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Edmonton takes Jaccob Slavin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Best pick value

Round 1- Geno at 31
Round 2- Hall at 40
Round 3- Wheeler at 79

Malkin is definitely the third best player from the lockout to McDavid, but drat, I wish he able to stay healthy. He would be more involved in the conversation between Crosby/Ovi.

fawning deference posted:

It was moreso age for me, but had he been around with my next pick, the guy has consecutive 91-pt seasons.

Wheeler has had a weird career He just keeps building on each season, and now in his early-30s, he's a 90+-point player. He feels like someone who is difficult to project for in his upcoming age-33 season.