Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what the base is gonna be post time skip once you're on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
There's a varied enough range of opinions among FE fans, much less 'gaming critics', so I would caution against reading too much into them.

Like, healthy dose of optimism is great. Reading too much into what you want to hear is only going to set you up for disappointment.

Do y'all reckon Hubert is gonna be an unironic edgelord, or an everyone-makes-fun-of-him-behind-his-back kind of edgelord? I can actually see it going either way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Going by his likes I think he will be fairly ironic.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Going by his likes I think he will be fairly ironic.
Maybe he's gonna lean into it and make some dry jokes about his bad reputation.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Being ironically repulsive, to protect Lady Edelgard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm actually starting to get worried I can't do all the paralogues for my own team, as it seems like you can only do paralogues on Sundays, and some require multiple sundays.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm actually starting to get worried I can't do all the paralogues for my own team, as it seems like you can only do paralogues on Sundays, and some require multiple sundays.

Assuming the game is at least eh...24 chapters, we'll say, and that an in-game year lines up with real-world year length . That'd be about 104 Sundays to do paralogues on.
It'd actually be a little less, I assume some end of month chapters end on a sunday and maybe there will be a few special "months" where you dont have access to them for one reason or another, maybe some other engagements you need to spend a sunday on...but seems like there SHOULD be plenty of sundays to get at least most of the paralogues?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's if the paralogues aren't time-locked, like are all of them time-skip proof?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
https://twitter.com/DorothyFahn/status/1151974409726332933

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A segment on gameinformer just basically confirmed that each route does have branching paths themselves and they do change things up (because she had multiple saves and tested them out).

So now I see how there's 200 hours, if the minimum to see everything is like 6 playthroughs

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

so i guess that implies things for a fourth route, and that a fourth route isn't actually just a second more brutal (?) black eagles route

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that the fourth route will be some kind of golden ending where you unite the continent

it would be cool to be the Black Eagles, but Dicks but I feel that it's hard to stay away from a plot that brings everyone together at the end

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MOD EDIT: I am not sure what is and what is not a spoiler so I hid the whole post.

I mean to be specific, she was on Edelgard's route so it might or might not still be under that leak's umbrella.

However, she slipped a hint of what a branching decision would be, in basically choosing your student or for the greater good.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oi, maybe keep that stuff under spoilers.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm never going to finish this game and that's rad.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm never going to finish this game and that's rad.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: Dont forget You're Here Forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Were the voice actors under an embargo or something until now

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

from what i gather they usually operate under very strict NDAs until the game drops? but i guess they all got the go ahead yesterday to announce

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's weird that the japanese VAs were revealed along with the characters but the english ones were forbidden from doing so. Like I get that's it's a pretty different industry, it's just weird and dumb

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder what the base is gonna be post time skip once you're on the road

It sounds like you might stay based in the monastery.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's weird that the japanese VAs were revealed along with the characters but the english ones were forbidden from doing so. Like I get that's it's a pretty different industry, it's just weird and dumb

i've seen tweets from kyle mccarley and ryan bartley among others about how someone putting a role they haven't been cleared to announce yet on IMDB could get them blacklisted from studios which seems really disproportionate to this layman's eyes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's probably more part of their marketing plan.

e: but also, yes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Embargo is also a reason why literally all the FE info started on the same day a week ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will there be a Japanese audio option in the US release

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

At least one changed from early material to release as well which doesn't happen often

Edit: /\ yes, dual audio is confirmed

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Flayn is a unit that joins after a story mission.

Some spoiler bits on who's not recruitable

Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Hubert, Dedue, and Hilda.

https://ebunny.net/2019/07/fire-emblem-three-houses-faq/

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

Flayn is a unit that joins after a story mission.

Some spoiler bits on who's not recruitable

Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Hubert, Dedue, and Hilda.

https://ebunny.net/2019/07/fire-emblem-three-houses-faq/
All but Hilda are what I expected. That has interesting story ramifications - the other two are thoroughly devoted to their leaders, whereas Hilda is the spoiled, lazy girl of the bunch - a very different person to be the one you can't sway away, and who presumably will have some more story presence. Could be cool!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Are there any spoiler free must have tips for Three Houses? I'm still fairly new to the series (Awakening, Conquest, Shadows of Valentia). I've been told to level the base classes to 20 before upgrading and ignore the free advanced class in your party early on, but I'm wondering if there is anything else newbies should keep an eye out for.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Oh man, FEH's young Dimitri quote "No matter the reason, it is evil to kill"

What happens to this dude?!?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

d3lness posted:

Are there any spoiler free must have tips for Three Houses? I'm still fairly new to the series (Awakening, Conquest, Shadows of Valentia). I've been told to level the base classes to 20 before upgrading and ignore the free advanced class in your party early on, but I'm wondering if there is anything else newbies should keep an eye out for.

Ironically those tips are not relevant for Three Houses. Characters don't reset levels upon class change/promotion and you don't appear to have any traditional early game prepromoted character.

Otherwise there are so many changed mechanics we don't really understand yet that I don't think anyone has like a list yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

d3lness posted:

Apparently the tutorial in FETH is good enough to hold your hand, and normal isn't crushing enough to have it matter in the long run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VA for Female Byleth

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

d3lness posted:

Ironically those pieces of advice are both not relevant to three houses and not particularly good advice in most other games either

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Ironically those pieces of advice are both not relevant to three houses and not particularly good advice in most other games either

Haven't played in a while, why shouldn't you ignore the early advanced class? In the ones I played they were just a huge XP sink

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eonwe posted:

Haven't played in a while, why shouldn't you ignore the early advanced class? In the ones I played they were just a huge XP sink

Your goal is not to maximize the amount of experience you gain. Your goal is to clear maps. Your earlygame promoted units help you do that easier.

You can also think of it this way: from Eliwood's point of view, Marcus getting a kill and Dorcas getting a kill is the exact same--either way, Eliwood doesn't gain experience. So replacing a low-level unit with a high-level unit in your deployment doesn't reduce the amount of experience your other characters gain unless you like, solo the map with them or something. Marcus won't be gaining very many stats but he has such a head start on anyone else that he doesn't fall behind until like the last few chapters of the game, and the rest of the units you deploy gain just as much experience as they would if you made the game harder on yourself by deploying somebody other than Marcus.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

eonwe posted:

unless it's a game where you expect to get to level 20/20 (like say Radiant Dawn or Conquest), promoting around mid-10s gives you those earlier stat-boosts where you can actually use them, instead of using unpromoted units until really late.

edit: oh hang on I read your question wrong, anyway Cheetah gave a better answer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The reason that advice is so popular and ubiquitous is because its a reaction to the way a lot of new players played the game where they basically solo everything with Marcus and then get curbstomped later when none of their other dudes can contribute and they missed a lot of the potential replacements. So they internalize the 'don't rely on the prepromote' and it becomes a mantra.

I am still scarred from playing FE7 as an idiot 12 year old who relied on Marcus waaaaay too much and got screwed when my level 7 Eliwood had to do his promotion map.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

theshim posted:

All but Hilda are what I expected. That has interesting story ramifications - the other two are thoroughly devoted to their leaders, whereas Hilda is the spoiled, lazy girl of the bunch - a very different person to be the one you can't sway away, and who presumably will have some more story presence. Could be cool!

She's also Claude's direct retainer, so.

Jawdins posted:

Oh man, FEH's young Dimitri quote "No matter the reason, it is evil to kill"

What happens to this dude?!?

he becomes evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Fates is the only game with the traditional promotion system where you really want to promote at level 20, because average endgame level is like 37-45 and the endgame enemies actually count on you having units of that level

as an addendum to my post above, it's not like FE is so structured that playing it "wrong" will be all that big a deal. If you don't want to use the wrinkly old horse man you don't have to, outside of the hardest difficulties. Using him will make the game easier though.