Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Wasteland would immediately make any manabase other than basic lands unplayable, which would then make Wasteland unplayable.

how about they just loving ban tron already

e: also blood moon doesn't work because the format has Hydroblast, Tron plays a ton of cantripping color fixers, and there's no end of excellent enchantment destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Ban Tron, ban Astrolabe, unban Hymn to Tourach you cowards

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If Tron is here to stay, unban Sinkhole tbh

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Framboise posted:

If Tron is here to stay, unban Sinkhole tbh

LD isn't great against Tron, but it sure as hell is great against the non-Tron grindy decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So it looks like the old Jeskai Kuldotha decks have fallen to the wayside, with the U splash for Mulldrifter getting cut for Monarch cards and a smoother manabase. I definitely wouldn't miss the 3c manabase in pauper, especially since Snow lands are a thing now, but man giving up on Mulldrifter is a hell of a beat.

It was also fun clowning on Delver decks with 8 bolts, a better value engine, and a dozen two-power flyers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Wasteland would immediately make any manabase other than basic lands unplayable, which would then make Wasteland unplayable.

how about they just loving ban tron already

e: also blood moon doesn't work because the format has Hydroblast, Tron plays a ton of cantripping color fixers, and there's no end of excellent enchantment destruction.

make a new crumble to dust, but a mana or two cheaper

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

LD isn't great against Tron, but it sure as hell is great against the non-Tron grindy decks.

LD is great against decks playing bouncelands more than Tronlands.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Aranan posted:

Ban Tron, ban Astrolabe, unban Hymn to Tourach you cowards

Ban ghostly flicker so I can play reality acid

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Ban ghostly flicker so I can play reality acid

ban flicker so flicker decks don't get free targets on lands or artifacts for their loops and have to run more creatures

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

loving TRON MIRRORS

https://clips.twitch.tv/WimpyRoundRamenCorgiDerp

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that link doesn't work, but if it's a clip from one of your matches against Caleb last night, i'd like to inform you that you turned off at least a thousand people from ever playing pauper

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that link doesn't work, but if it's a clip from one of your matches against Caleb last night, i'd like to inform you that you turned off at least a thousand people from ever playing pauper

lol yeah, that clip was from when he was switching to playing Zombies and had to restart MTGO because of all those loving TRON MIRRORS, because you need all of the ram in the world to run Tron on MTGO.

clip probably died when that part got muted

also ban tron jesus christ it's so obviously harmful to the metagame

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

lol yeah, that clip was from when he was switching to playing Zombies and had to restart MTGO because of all those loving TRON MIRRORS, because you need all of the ram in the world to run Tron on MTGO.

clip probably died when that part got muted

also ban tron jesus christ it's so obviously harmful to the metagame

Assuming they do nothing but ban Tron lands, how bad does the meta tilt towards Delver?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Assuming they do nothing but ban Tron lands, how bad does the meta tilt towards Delver?

I suspect the various grindy Astrolabe decks would take over. They can't leave Astrolabe around, it just makes the Glint Hawk/Kor Skyfisher decks dramatically more powerful by giving them an actual nut draw.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Emphasizing again as someone who played the old Jeskai Skyfisher decks, Delver does not like playing against a grindy deck with a never-ending stream of spot removal and cheap flyers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

I suspect the various grindy Astrolabe decks would take over. They can't leave Astrolabe around, it just makes the Glint Hawk/Kor Skyfisher decks dramatically more powerful by giving them an actual nut draw.

I played against a deck with a mono-black manabase, playing the 8 Prisms, 4 Hawk, 4 Fisher, and 4 Weather the Storm, 2(looked to be 2, all three games we both got down to 5-6 cards in our libraries) Guardian of the Guildpact. The win con was to gain more life than you and hit Pestilence.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone have any good/interesting Mystic Teachings lists?

I get that everything that’s not Tron is unplayable trash. But let’s assume I’m ok with bringing a tier two deck to my local game store for some casual Pauper games.

The Astrolabe/Snowy kit making for easier access to splashes seems interesting. Also someone pointed out that Desert is now legal and I have some Arabian Nights ones that would be fun to play with.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I played against a deck with a mono-black manabase, playing the 8 Prisms, 4 Hawk, 4 Fisher, and 4 Weather the Storm, 2(looked to be 2, all three games we both got down to 5-6 cards in our libraries) Guardian of the Guildpact. The win con was to gain more life than you and hit Pestilence.

Yeah that deck plays all Snow Swamps (and maybe Bojuka Bog if they're bad), 8 filter artifacts, Defile and Tendrils of Corruption, and runs the usual WB Pestilence game plan.

BGrifter posted:

Anyone have any good/interesting Mystic Teachings lists?

I get that everything that’s not Tron is unplayable trash. But let’s assume I’m ok with bringing a tier two deck to my local game store for some casual Pauper games.

The Astrolabe/Snowy kit making for easier access to splashes seems interesting. Also someone pointed out that Desert is now legal and I have some Arabian Nights ones that would be fun to play with.

There's 100% a cool 5-color Snow Teachings deck that relies on Ash Barrens + Astrolabe and gets to run Swirling Sandstorm and win with a single Sprout Swarm. I cannot be bothered to figure a list out because it wouldn't beat Tron.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every slow, mana-hungry deck probably just gets better if you jam tron into it instead of trying to get by on other lands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

Every slow, mana-hungry deck probably just gets better if you jam tron into it instead of trying to get by on other lands.

Depends on what you're trying to beat. I could be talked into a Snow-Go Teachings deck being better for a particular metagame than a Snow Teachings Tron or Flicker Tron list. Of course that particular metagame would also need zero Tron, so...

GoutPatrol posted:

oh hey this is that deck

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-four-color-mono-black-pestilence-pauper

this deck has probably a 10% matchup against Tron - no discard main, barely a clock, and almost certainly dead if it whiffs on cantrip artifacts.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 18, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol this format is so loving stupid now

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

lol this format is so loving stupid now

Yeah Astrolabe is a clear problem card, hopefully they'll remember to ban Tron and Delver along with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

They'll ban Expedition Map.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Yeah Astrolabe is a clear problem card, hopefully they'll remember to ban Tron and Delver along with it.

looking forward to all this happening and the format turning into 75% ephemerate decks

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

looking forward to all this happening and the format turning into 75% ephemerate decks

Two color Ephemerate decks are combatable - UW would suffer from Red Blasts, B/w are weak, R/w and G/w aren't worth bothering with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

They'll ban Expedition Map.

Ban flicker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

List of cards they can and should ban:

Tron
Astrolabe
Flicker (no downsides)
Delver
Foil (no downsides)

List of cards to watch:
Monarch stuff
Ephemerate
Rancor
Mulldrifter (sadly)

List of cards that, if someone suggests should be banned, you can safely ignore their opinion on anything:
Augur of Bolas
Prismatic Strands
anything unbanned, seriously there's some super dumb mother fuckers thinking they should unban gush or grapeshot or whatever the gently caress, nothing on the banned list can come off safely

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Prismatic Strands

.......................what.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

.......................what.

more than one idiot poster on r/pauper suggested the reason aggro couldn't exist when UB Delver was around was because of Prismatic Strands

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

more than one idiot poster on r/pauper suggested the reason aggro couldn't exist when UB Delver was around was because of Prismatic Strands

A. Oh it's just Reddit. No real person.

2. Delver is the reason aggro can't exist in multiple formats. Why play a Wild Nacatl or Mogg Flunky or whatever other garbage when instead you could have a 1 mana evasive 3/2 in the best color in the game?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Naw, unban Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole.

Otherwise that seems reasonable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BGrifter posted:

Naw, unban Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole.

Otherwise that seems reasonable.

Unbanning sinkhole would finally give MBC a chance against Tron, so I totally agree.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GoutPatrol posted:

Unbanning sinkhole would finally give MBC a chance against Tron, so I totally agree.

Oh I don’t have any coherent balance argument to make for unbanning them. I just like both cards and want to play them in TYOOL 2019. Balance be damned.

(ooh, downshift Balance and every other broken Vintage card)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Ban enough things until tortured existence is good

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Aranan posted:

Ban enough things until tortured existence is good

Print Recurring Nightmare and Survival of the Fittest at common.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Unban literally everything and let a banlist make itself based on which cards cause fistfights and table flips

Legalize Ante in pauper. I'm coming for your Oubliettes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Framboise posted:

Unban literally everything and let a banlist make itself based on which cards cause fistfights and table flips

Reprint Chaos Orb. Sell them in booster packs of 15 Chaos Orbs for $2 so they can be shredded and used as intended.

Edit: Oh and downshift Memory Jar.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

unban gush, frantic search, and brain freeze, imo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Downshift deathrite shaman to common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Reprint Chaos Orb. Sell them in booster packs of 15 Chaos Orbs for $2 so they can be shredded and used as intended.

Edit: Oh and downshift Memory Jar.

:hmmyes: