Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

orange juche posted:

From what I remember she never actually tells anyone she's blind, other than Matoya prying it out of her in private, and I'm assuming Urianger asking her privately after the fact. Everyone else seems to think she's just got neat color change contacts.
Cat-aracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gonna be sad when Y'shtola randomly drops dead in 5.3 because she spent too many years looking at stuff.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

S.J. posted:

I just rewatched the cutscene and it didn't seem at all obvious to me that she was blind from that, or using aether to see all the time, I just figured her trip through the lifestream had given her extra powers or something.

It's possible that the aether part gets mentioned in out-of-cutscene side dialogue. I think i remember talking to Matoya after everyone leaves her cave and her mentioning it, but it's been a long while since i've done that part of the story.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I'm mad at video games! I disconnected and was back online in 1 minute and got kicked just as I logged in. They must have started the vote kick the instant I disconnected.

We were at the last boss!!!!

gay devil fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 19, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mad Science posted:

It's possible that the aether part gets mentioned in out-of-cutscene side dialogue. I think i remember talking to Matoya after everyone leaves her cave and her mentioning it, but it's been a long while since i've done that part of the story.

No, she mentions using aether to see in the cutscene, I just didn't realize she was doing it literally all the time. I just figured it was a power she picked up from going on a trip through the life stream.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
IIRC in the HW reminiscence questline (the Haurchefant emote one) Matoya directly tells the WoL about it too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

IIRC in the HW reminiscence questline (the Haurchefant emote one) Matoya directly tells the WoL about it too.

Matoya may tell you but it's definitely not common knowledge among the Scions, as Y'shtola does not want anyone worrying about her, the only Scions who know are you and Urianger. Krile *may* know but she sure as hell has not mentioned it that I remember.

I'm sure it will become an important point in ShB, thank you timeline difference.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The fact that's its been quite a while and never came up again and y'shtola spent 3 years in the first still using aethersight and seems to be doing quite well I kinda presume it's one of those things that they setup to have her eventually die, and then got told by square that they couldn't have one of the most well known ff14 characters die.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nessus posted:

Cat-aracts

:hmmyes:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zoig posted:

and then got told by square that they couldn't have one of the most well known ff14 characters die.

ahem Haurchefant

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Zoig posted:

The fact that's its been quite a while and never came up again and y'shtola spent 3 years in the first still using aethersight and seems to be doing quite well I kinda presume it's one of those things that they setup to have her eventually die, and then got told by square that they couldn't have one of the most well known ff14 characters die.

She also probably doesn't use it every moment of every day to see either, she's smart enough to work on ways to work without it, I imagine.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

orange juche posted:

ahem Haurchefant

You mean a fellow that was only beloved by people ingame and not likely to be recognized outside ff14?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Papalymo and Minfillia (spoilered just in case anyone here is still doing MSQ since I know there were a few in here earlier) are both dead for real though I guess its debatable how well known/liked either one was.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yshtola is the one that represents the game in any crossovers

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Marin Karin posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this is

e: Guess I found an old sidequest I need to do

ee: oh god it's like 8 sidequests

S.J. fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Y'shtola's got one of those "burn the candle at both ends" deals that will only at best come up for a dramatic scene at some point in the future and will otherwise not interfere with her functionality in the narrative.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
After 3 expansions, I finally bother to learn to gpose. Just in time for the only headpiece that matters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Your Computer posted:

For reference, I wanted that Genji axe simply because it folds up and (presumably) doesn't clip as badly through my bunny ears as the other axes, that's the entire reason I wanted to do the raid :shobon:

It doesn't look as cool and I don't know if it will clip badly or not but one of the Maelstrom GC (Storm Sergeant?) greataxe blade folds in half when you stow it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Y'shtola is a cat, so she has 9 lives.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

every ff14 character featured in a mobile game is marked for death

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Wacky Delly posted:

That's just setting her up as a villain in 7.0 or something when she starts draining others aether to stay alive.

Thancred gets the ability to use magic back late in in 6.x but it's because he's an aetherial black hole feeding off the residual aether from his party members, setting him up as the perfect counter for Y'shtola's aether vampirism. All while Matoya starts going on about how she wants to kill aether entirely because Hydaelyn has done nothing but cause trouble.

Final Fantasy XIV: The Sith Lords

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kadorhal posted:

Thancred gets the ability to use magic back late in in 6.x but it's because he's an aetherial black hole feeding off the residual aether from his party members, setting him up as the perfect counter for Y'shtola's aether vampirism. All while Matoya starts going on about how she wants to kill aether entirely because Hydaelyn has done nothing but cause trouble.

Final Fantasy XIV: The Sith Lords

thancred's going to posses an ascian out of spite to gain magic back

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would totally be down for a FF14 and KotOR2 crossover.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Good lord save us from any "destroy the magic" plot lines. Though it'd be kind of funny if a Garlean goes on some horrible speed-rap loosely paralleling Kreia's thing because he's jelly that he can't touch aether.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only thing I want in any later content is Eistinien to make it to retirement and enjoy it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

During Rak'tika I was kinda surprised that Y'shtola didn't get her vision back from taking a second trip through the lifestream. I was expecting them to take the chance to go back on the slowly dying thing, and have Emet even more strongly express "no really I just want to make everyone's soul whole again" to the team.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nessus posted:

Good lord save us from any "destroy the magic" plot lines. Though it'd be kind of funny if a Garlean goes on some horrible speed-rap loosely paralleling Kreia's thing because he's jelly that he can't touch aether.

It worked for FF6.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

orange juche posted:

Matoya may tell you but it's definitely not common knowledge among the Scions, as Y'shtola does not want anyone worrying about her, the only Scions who know are you and Urianger. Krile *may* know but she sure as hell has not mentioned it that I remember.

I'm sure it will become an important point in ShB, thank you timeline difference.

Her sister knows. She tells you during one of the SMN quests.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

itskage posted:

It worked for FF6.
Yeah at the very end.

I think in the XIV cosmology, getting rid of aether would be like getting rid of "length" or "electrons."

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Zoig posted:

Then again, her body is back on the Source. There are still a lot of unanswered questions as to the current state of the Scions who are merely on the First in spirit. Based on what was revealed in regard to how Ardbert's party got to the Source, and what Crystal Exarch did to pull our guys over, it's hard to say if the Scions are surviving on their own aether, or being sustained by the Crystal Tower in some fashion.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Solitair posted:

I'm just frustrated because I'm trying to get my garou mounts and my win ratio in the Feast is just over one in four. Seems to me there's a pretty wide gulf in skill, or at least coordination, between teams a lot of the time, plus someone else I asked said that the best way to get that mount is to get eight people to take turns throwing the match at each other. I'm guessing there's no real matchmaking system to separate players based on skill, either, and I was wondering if it was possible to form a party beforehand, get them on voice chat, and enter PvP as a team.

My girlfriend was convinced by one of her idiot friends that SE would do nothing about it if she traded wins to get PvP glamours and she ate a 10 day ban for it. What I'm saying is if you know people are win trading, then report them for it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

Yeah at the very end.

I think in the XIV cosmology, getting rid of aether would be like getting rid of "length" or "electrons."

If my understanding is correct, it'd be like turning off intermolecular forces. Because Aether is what makes things things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

If my understanding is correct, it'd be like turning off intermolecular forces. Because Aether is what makes things things.
IIRC it was explained during the Ivalice questline that literally everything is made up of aether, including intangible things like "thoughts" and "feelings"

it's.... honestly a bit of a mess

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Your Computer posted:

IIRC it was explained during the Ivalice questline that literally everything is made up of aether, including intangible things like "thoughts" and "feelings"

it's.... honestly a bit of a mess

How is that any more of a mess than thoughts and feelings being made of meat and chemicals

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's Y'Mhitra, Y'shtola's sister, who explicitly says that she's blind during one of the side quests. Okay then.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Matoya is not subtle about the fact that Y'shtola is super blind.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

All crafters at 50! :toot:

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

How is that any more of a mess than thoughts and feelings being made of meat and chemicals
last time I checked our chemical meat thoughts and feelings don't exist independently of us and can be imbued into objects and stuff like that but I'm not a scientist :v:

what I meant is that aether is kind of whatever the writers want it to be at the time, a magical catch-all whenever something needs to be explained. It's fine, really.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Matoya is not subtle about the fact that Y'shtola is super blind.
yeah, it was obvious to me from the cutscenes